Lion installation via USB stick using Chameleon

MaLd0n

1,466 posts in this topic

I'm having problems booting the installer USB stick. I have tried several different USB sticks, including a USB WD Passport Drive. No problem preparing the USB devices but when I try to boot, my system freezes during the BIOS post sequence.

I'm having the same problem with a GA-P55-USB3, is there a solution? :-/

Hey, I prepared my USB and everything but my motherboard isn't listed in the auto-patcher.

Can you fix my dsdt.aml/dsdt.dsl for me please?

I extracted the DSDTs on my ubuntu live cd.

Specs of computer should be in my signature.

tpho2500_dsdt.zip

Thanks man!

I need help with my Lion not sleeping, when going the screen just suspends and the hdd stop spinning but the fan is still running and it cannot be awake. It was working fine, on one of my installation by chance I guess.

Could it be what I entered in boot.plist?

send_me.zip

Can I attached the original unedited dsdt to find out the bug?

unedited.dsdt.txt

Hi!

I installed Lion and my hackintosh is working perfectly!!!

However when creating the Lion USB (on my old apple macbook pro) I made a very stupid mistake

I by mistake installed the "Extra_Lion.pkg.zip" on the internal hdd (10.6.8) with the result not to be able to boot

the machine!!! Is there a way to "uninstall" the Extra_Lion package?

I can boot via a 10.6 DVD and launch the terminal and mount the disk. However I do not know what Extra Lion package changes on the disk. Can I possibly reverse the process?

Please not that I have only installed on the internal disk the Extra Lion package not the Chameleon.

When I start the machine in debug mode I get a

Loading kernel cache file 'System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\kernelcache_i386.9517FD2F'.......

root device uuid is '94F6...........CA' and then it just hangs there :(

Thanks in advance!!!!

Hi!

I installed Lion and my hackintosh is working perfectly!!!

However when creating the Lion USB (on my old apple macbook pro) I made a very stupid mistake

I by mistake installed the "Extra_Lion.pkg.zip" on the internal hdd (10.6.8) with the result not to be able to boot

the machine!!! Is there a way to "uninstall" the Extra_Lion package?

I can boot via a 10.6 DVD and launch the terminal and mount the disk. However I do not know what Extra Lion package changes on the disk. Can I possibly reverse the process?

Please not that I have only installed on the internal disk the Extra Lion package not the Chameleon.

When I start the machine in debug mode I get a

Loading kernel cache file 'System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\kernelcache_i386.9517FD2F'.......

root device uuid is '94F6...........CA' and then it just hangs there :(

Thanks in advance!!!!

Try booting with -f <---- This forces it to boot and ignore the cache/s and also you may want to boot with the line:

PCIRootUID=1 <---- Might fix the root device uuid problem you mentioned above.

You can try them one at a time and if neither works by itself, you can combine the two like so:

PCIRootUID=1 -f <---- This one may work best actually; as it will fix your root device uuid and cache errors above (or should at least lol).

Just type that at the Chameleon Loader Screen when you have the Mac 10.6.8 Partition Highlighted and then hit "Enter" on your keyboard to boot. See if this helps. If not, try booting with the following line:

PCIRootUID=1 -x -v -r -f

If that fails, come back and post here with any errors/feedback about your results and we'll go from there. We can definitely save your 10.6.8 installation. It really shouldn't be too hard if the above doesn't work. We'll just have to take a different approach to the whole problem.

;)

Awesome tutorial! I'm going to try it out and see how it goes as every other method I've tried has failed so far even though I have 10.6.8 running right now with NO Issues at all and it detects my Core i7 920 and all 12GB of my Corsair Dominator 1600MHz DDR3 RAM. Also, everything is working on my EVGA x58 3 Way SLi Motherboard while using 10.6.8 so I'm not sure why I keep having issues getting Lion installed... I can't even get the Lion installer to start without Kernel Panics so far. Hopefully this USB Method will fix that for me ;)

THANKS FOR SHARING! ;)

I tried this method but it does not want to boot. I only get a black screen with a blinking cursor when booting... What evrsion of chamaleon should I use?

I've encountered very similar Chameleon-related problem, in my case "boot1: error" right on the start of the boot sequence. I tried to boot from USB flash drive three times, both GUID and MBR. Tried AHCI, legacy, everything... Nothing. It's most probably some quirky motherboard's fault.

I finally gave up and installed from DVD. Installation (accompanied by 90's floppy noises) took ages, but I didn't have to bother with this. I wonder why is this particular motherboard so picky.

Non-working HW: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev. 3.3, bios F13 and probably other pre-2008 Gigabyte boards; flash drive Transcend Ultraspeed 8GB, all possible settings and combinations

I tested this USB installation medium in HP business laptop NC4400, i945 chipset. No problems with flash drive.

Try booting with -f <---- This forces it to boot and ignore the cache/s and also you may want to boot with the line:

PCIRootUID=1 <---- Might fix the root device uuid problem you mentioned above.

You can try them one at a time and if neither works by itself, you can combine the two like so:

PCIRootUID=1 -f <---- This one may work best actually; as it will fix your root device uuid and cache errors above (or should at least lol).

Just type that at the Chameleon Loader Screen when you have the Mac 10.6.8 Partition Highlighted and then hit "Enter" on your keyboard to boot. See if this helps. If not, try booting with the following line:

PCIRootUID=1 -x -v -r -f

If that fails, come back and post here with any errors/feedback about your results and we'll go from there. We can definitely save your 10.6.8 installation. It really shouldn't be too hard if the above doesn't work. We'll just have to take a different approach to the whole problem.

^_^

Hi Anubiset,

Thanks for your help! Unfortunately the machine that I run the Extra Lion.pkg is an 2008 apple macbook pro. It is not a hackintosh. I was trying to make the usb stick for my hackintosh. Can I run chameleon on my apple hardware? Thanks again for your help!

Hi Anubiset,

Thanks for your help! Unfortunately the machine that I run the Extra Lion.pkg is an 2008 apple macbook pro. It is not a hackintosh. I was trying to make the usb stick for my hackintosh. Can I run chameleon on my apple hardware? Thanks again for your help!

I don't know if this will help because I've never been in that situation, however, here is a link I found after doing a Google search.

http://myhack.sojugarden.com/2009/10/how-t...eon-bootloader/

Hope it can help you.