Lion installation via USB stick using Chameleon

MaLd0n

1,466 posts in this topic

I don't know if this will help because I've never been in that situation, however, here is a link I found after doing a Google search.

http://myhack.sojugarden.com/2009/10/how-t...eon-bootloader/

Hope it can help you.

Hi RocketLynx it did not seem to work in my case (I installed on the hdd only the extra lion package and not the chameleon ;) ).

No when booting with command+v I get:

boot file path: \system\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

Loading mach_kernel...........

root device uuid is 94F.....CA

Loading drivers...

Loading System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext.....

and I get a hang there :)

Should I get in and remove the extensions? But in what directory ?

Thanks again!!!

Hi RocketLynx it did not seem to work in my case (I installed on the hdd only the extra lion package and not the chameleon :D ).

No when booting with command+v I get:

boot file path: \system\Library\CoreServices\boot.efi

Loading mach_kernel...........

root device uuid is 94F.....CA

Loading drivers...

Loading System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kext.caches\Startup\Extensions.mkext.....

and I get a hang there :(

Should I get in and remove the extensions? But in what directory ?

Thanks again!!!

From what I can tell, it should have only created a folder, /Extra under the root of which you need to delete. In it, it would have placed com.apple.Boot.plist, Extensions.mkext, smbios.plist and mach_kernel. I'm not sure if mach_kernel would be there or would have been placed in the root. If it placed it in the root, then it might be the major cause of your problems.

If there is no Chameleon installed, then it should not be referencing anything in the Extra folder anyway. After you boot off of your backup or installation disk you need to show hidden files and look for the file "boot" in the root of your drive. If you find it, you can even use the Text editor to open it. It will look like gibberish but then use the text editor's find feature to look for all of the instances of the word "Chameleon" If it's there, then somehow you accidentally installed it and you have a much bigger problem.

Thank you for the guide Mald0n. I used this guide with my sandy bridge laptop asus N53SN-SZ007V and i have full QE/CL support. But the screen is messed up. Here is how it looks like.

mage127.jpg

I think it is becuse i have native 1920x1080 screen resolution. But i couldn't solve the problem. I saw some posts other forums about screen problem. But i couldn't fix it. Most of them use dsdt. But i don't know much about it. And there is another problem. Everytime when i boot lion with -v option, it acts like i would have typed -v -f and repairs kext caches. For now lion is in unusable condition. Please help me. Thank you.

First off, I would like to thank anyone who made this guide possible. However, I want to know how I would be able to install Lion on a partition. When I first got lion installed, I rebooted and got a you must restart your computer error. After that, I reformatted the Drive as Mac OS Extended (journaled). After this, I was unable to install it on the same partition as it said your partition scheme must be GUID Partition Table Scheme. I really don't want to repartition my drive as GUID as then I won't be able to run windows.

Any solutions?

I just about got 10.6.8 Installed on my Board with MaLd0n's help.

Need to understand the steps to Install LION on my Sandybridge Setup P8Z68-M PRO.

POST INSTALL :

1. Copy the EXTRA Folder , MacBookPro8,1 / Sandy Bridge to MY Root OR use the Installer for the same http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=258606 , select iMAC 12,2 (SandyBridge)

2. Install Chameleon-2.0-RC5 (into Lion partition) , use Andy's Package from http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=255866

3.Copy the DSDT.aml to Extra folder ( I have one that MaLd0n created for me )

4. After this am not sure if I need to do anything else ?

Do I have to Install the below ?

Downloads

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector

Attached File IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext.zip

LegacyAHCI

Attached File AHCIPortInjector.kext.zip

NullCPUPowerManagement

Attached File NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip

Looks like I got it working like mentioned above (Added the

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext into EXTRA/extensions folder) ! However what would I need to do to get my Nvidia 560 GTX working at full res and acceleration ?

Hi Mald0n and everyone,

I have used your method to install Lion 10.7.1 on my HP Dv6. I had to use Taptun's 10.7.1 chocolate kernel but managed to get it installed on my Macintosh HD partition.. (I have 2 partitions, Macintosh HD and OSX Repair).

However, after installing chameleon to the drive and updating the /Extra with Mald0n's installer (which installed smbios.plist for my machine) I have lost the ability to use the mouse and keyboard, also there is no sound and I get a KP if I plug any USB sticks into any of the ports. This did not happen on first boot as everything (including the camera) worked before I used the Extra installer.

(I was unable to generate a DSDT as the AutoPatcher had errors when extracting/patching so there is currently no DSDT anywhere).

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Cheers

Hi Mald0n and everyone,

I have used your method to install Lion 10.7.1 on my HP Dv6. I had to use Taptun's 10.7.1 chocolate kernel but managed to get it installed on my Macintosh HD partition.. (I have 2 partitions, Macintosh HD and OSX Repair).

However, after installing chameleon to the drive and updating the /Extra with Mald0n's installer (which installed smbios.plist for my machine) I have lost the ability to use the mouse and keyboard, also there is no sound and I get a KP if I plug any USB sticks into any of the ports. This did not happen on first boot as everything (including the camera) worked before I used the Extra installer.

(I was unable to generate a DSDT as the AutoPatcher had errors when extracting/patching so there is currently no DSDT anywhere).

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Cheers

send me DSDT

perl -e 'open(CMD, "ioreg -lw0 \| grep DSDT|") or die; while(<CMD>) { chomp; if($_ =~ /\"DSDT\.?\d?\"=<([^>]*)>/) { $buff = $1; open(PIP, "|xxd -r -p > ~/Desktop/dsdt.aml") or die; print PIP "$1"; } }'

From what I can tell, it should have only created a folder, /Extra under the root of which you need to delete. In it, it would have placed com.apple.Boot.plist, Extensions.mkext, smbios.plist and mach_kernel. I'm not sure if mach_kernel would be there or would have been placed in the root. If it placed it in the root, then it might be the major cause of your problems.

If there is no Chameleon installed, then it should not be referencing anything in the Extra folder anyway. After you boot off of your backup or installation disk you need to show hidden files and look for the file "boot" in the root of your drive. If you find it, you can even use the Text editor to open it. It will look like gibberish but then use the text editor's find feature to look for all of the instances of the word "Chameleon" If it's there, then somehow you accidentally installed it and you have a much bigger problem.

Hi RocketLynx,

Thanks aparrently the mach_kernel is located on the root (/) directory of the hdd.

and thereis no Chameleon string instance on the /boot file actually there is no /boot file. So it seems that it may be the mach_kernel.

Is there a way to restore the original one?

Also I get the message

Is there a way after deleting the /Extra directory to refresh somehow the cache?

Lastly is there a document/book describing the OSX boot process.

Thanks for one more time for your valuable help!

Need a little help. I've installed Leopard and Snow Leopard several times on Dual core laptop/desktops. I just recently built a i5 Sandy Bridge mini PC using a Zotac motherboard and have been getting the following panic when trying to boot from flash drive to attempt install of Lion. I tried cpus=1 and other similar commands. Anyone know what is wrong?

post-515001-1315219233_thumb.jpg

Adding ,

You can update the USB Drive Installation to 10.7.1 as well .

Follow the steps from the first post and ensure the USB Drive Boots .

Then Boot into OSX and install 10.7.1 update and choose the USB Drive as Destination . That's it any installs using this would result in a fully installed 10.7.1 system !

Cheers

;)

Thank you for the guide Mald0n. I used this guide with my sandy bridge laptop asus N53SN-SZ007V and i have full QE/CL support. But the screen is messed up. Here is how it looks like.

mage127.jpg

I think it is becuse i have native 1920x1080 screen resolution. But i couldn't solve the problem. I saw some posts other forums about screen problem. But i couldn't fix it. Most of them use dsdt. But i don't know much about it. And there is another problem. Everytime when i boot lion with -v option, it acts like i would have typed -v -f and repairs kext caches. For now lion is in unusable condition. Please help me. Thank you.

Hey guys. I found a dsdt which is fixed for asus n73sv. I used it and it fixed my screen problem. Now i have full graphic acceleration via intel hd3000. But still there is some other issues. Sleep, restart, shutdown does not work properly. And during boot it always repairs kext caches. It takes almost one and half minutes to boot up. Could someone help me? Thanks again.

Hi RocketLynx,

Thanks aparrently the mach_kernel is located on the root (/) directory of the hdd.

and thereis no Chameleon string instance on the /boot file actually there is no /boot file. So it seems that it may be the mach_kernel.

Is there a way to restore the original one?

Also I get the message

Is there a way after deleting the /Extra directory to refresh somehow the cache?

Lastly is there a document/book describing the OSX boot process.

Thanks for one more time for your valuable help!

Hi RocketLynx!

So mach_kernel was the problem. I used the mach_kernel from the 10.6.0 install DVD and it continues but I got further down a kernel module missmatch. I was running on the machine 10.6.8. Is it feasible to extract mach_kernel from 10.6.8 update or the latest one that had an mach_kernel update?

Thanks for your great help!!!!

Hi RocketLynx!

So mach_kernel was the problem. I used the mach_kernel from the 10.6.0 install DVD and it continues but I got further down a kernel module missmatch. I was running on the machine 10.6.8. Is it feasible to extract mach_kernel from 10.6.8 update or the latest one that had an mach_kernel update?

Thanks for your great help!!!!

You can use the mach_kernel that came with the installation package you used, etc. MaLd0n, Tseug.

You can use the mach_kernel that came with the installation package you used, etc. MaLd0n, Tseug.

Hi!!!

So what I did is downloaded the 10.6.8update and extrack the pkg using xar and then I extract the contents from the Payload and took that kernel which worked like a dream!!!!

RocketLynx and Anubiset thanks for your help on solving this!!!!!!!

DSDT Auto-Patcher it's dead atm but i'ld like to understand if, using DSDT editor and patcher, asrock fatal1ty professional gen 3 it's fully supported and if it's nedeed to use SpeedStepper&co. (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=258611) to enable p-states or if it's natively supported on this mob (generate p-states = yes it's sufficient?).

Thanks in advance

Houbos,

So you burned the USB content in a DVD? and it worked?

I cannot understand why this Asus P6X58D-E does not want to boot any of my Lion install methods...

Thanks!

I've encountered very similar Chameleon-related problem, in my case "boot1: error" right on the start of the boot sequence. I tried to boot from USB flash drive three times, both GUID and MBR. Tried AHCI, legacy, everything... Nothing. It's most probably some quirky motherboard's fault.

I finally gave up and installed from DVD. Installation (accompanied by 90's floppy noises) took ages, but I didn't have to bother with this. I wonder why is this particular motherboard so picky.

Non-working HW: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 rev. 3.3, bios F13 and probably other pre-2008 Gigabyte boards; flash drive Transcend Ultraspeed 8GB, all possible settings and combinations

I tested this USB installation medium in HP business laptop NC4400, i945 chipset. No problems with flash drive.