Asus P8P67 Pro install guide

Guest ^Andy^

663 posts in this topic

I'm trying to install OS X SL since a few days via AndyBoot4 cd, but without luck for now. Install runs fine but after the combo update 10.6.7 it just gets stuck a the grey apple logo on boot and with combo update 10.6.8 it gets a KP at 80% of the update process which kills the system in all.

I have a Asus Sabertooth P67 Rev. 3, which one of the install packages would fit my board the most, P8P67Pro V5.0, P8P67 V5.0 or I'm in the total wrong thread here?

Any help much appreciated!

This guide itself is for the P8P67 Pro. I have the P8P67 LE and this won't even work for me. It should work on the general principle, but it still doesn't. My video card kept mine from rebooting, so I tried an HD 4750 and that let it reboot, but it still didn't work properly. I'm just going to swap my board for a Pro and hope that will help.

Just try searching google for people with your board that have had success. You have to remember that the graphics card and CPU also matter though.

If all you want is a working overclock and turbo just disable EIST in the bios ;)

With the weather we have in the UK at the moment you may wan't to enable EIST again - my ambient temps are way up and my poor little Asus is getting hot enough to have planets start orbiting it!

-_-

I have built a new set of packages for 10.6.8 along with version 5 of my boot cd.

Packages

P8P67Pro V5.0 http://www.mediafire.com/?zw6tm54qwmm2cw4

P8P67 V5.0 http://www.mediafire.com/?1bnza3a8vg1vg9j

Boot CD

AndyBoot V5.0 http://www.mediafire.com/?6lasyx8ojnpu72j

The boot cd contains both of the packages listed above so if you download the boot cd you don't need to download the packages.

Important - These packages were created specifically for use with 10.6.8 or Lion (yes they work with Lion too) and as such they no longer install either the ATI drivers or the mach_kernel (neither are needed with 10.6.8 or Lion as they both contain newer versions of both).

If you want to use these packages with 10.6.7 or earlier then you will need to install a sandybridge compatible mach_kernel (you can use pacifist to extract it from the 10.6.8 combo update or use the one on the boot cd) otherwise you will not be able to boot from your hard disk.

Install method using boot cd 5

If installing from scratch be sure to download the 10.6.8 combo update to another drive or memory stick first.

1 - Boot from the boot cd, swapping the cd for the os x install dvd when the loader menu shows

2 - Wait a few minutes and press f5 then use the cursor keys to select the os x install dvd if it isn't auto selected

3 - Once the install is complete run disk utility to repair permissions and proceed to install the 10.6.8 combo update - I've had the 10.6.8 update fail a few times near the end - hopefully running permission repair before installing will avoid this. If it does crash you will need to boot up from another install and run the update from that install changing the install location to the bodged one - that will fix it.

4 - Once you have completed the update to 10.6.8 reboot again using the boot cd

5 - Install the package relevant to your motherboard from the boot cd - ie P8P67Pro package for the Pro or P8P67 package for the non pro.

6 - reboot and hopefully enjoy 10.6.8

Thanks Andy for your continued support for this board, really appreciated :blink: . So if the 10.6.8 install fails the only way to get back up and running is to boot your machine from a second install, no boot cds will help at that point?

Thanks Andy for your continued support for this board, really appreciated :P . So if the 10.6.8 install fails the only way to get back up and running is to boot your machine from a second install, no boot cds will help at that point?

I saw one reply stating that booting from the bootcd, launching the setup dvd and running a permissions repair allowed them to boot back up but I havn't personally tried that.

Anyone get iPad charging working? The board supports it, but comes with a Windows 7 AI charging application. Not sure if that application is required...

BY the way, this whole package business that has the drivers / bootloader pre-loaded + has a boot CD if you mess up is so nice...

First a big thanks to Andy.

Is it possible to get a fresh install of SL 10.6.7 on an Asus P8P67 Pro board with a reference HIS Radeon HD 6870? I have been Andy’s method using his CD version 2.0 as well as 4.0 but cannot do a fresh install using SL 10.6 Retail DVD. Using –v says it is stuck at “Waiting for root device”.

I was able to get a clean fresh install using a borrowed GTX460 card and everything works fine. Then swapping for the HD 6870 it also works fine including QE/CI.

on the GTX 460 I used Andy's boot CD, then the 10.6 retail DVD, combo update to 10.6.7, reboot, install P8P67 Pro package, Quadro drivers, used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for audio kext and GraphicsEnabler=Yes for QE/CI.

After swapping to the 6870, I set GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiConfig=Duckweed and everything works including DVD player.

But I still cannot do a fresh install with 6870 card. I have also tried -x, -v, GraphicsEnabler, PCIRootUID and others but no success in getting to the OS install screen. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Do I need any special boot options? Are there any specific BIOS settings that I need on the ASus P8p67 pro board to recognize the 6870? Thank you!!!

First a big thanks to Andy.

Is it possible to get a fresh install of SL 10.6.7 on an Asus P8P67 Pro board with a reference HIS Radeon HD 6870? I have been Andy’s method using his CD version 2.0 as well as 4.0 but cannot do a fresh install using SL 10.6 Retail DVD. Using –v says it is stuck at “Waiting for root device”.

I was able to get a clean fresh install using a borrowed GTX460 card and everything works fine. Then swapping for the HD 6870 it also works fine including QE/CI.

But I still cannot do a fresh install with 6870 card. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Do I need any special boot option or kexts? Thank you!!!

That should just work, I've done it more times than I care to count now whilst testing the boot cd lol

That should just work, I've done it more times than I care to count now whilst testing the boot cd lol

That is what I gathered from reading your prior posts that it should just work plain and simple. Thank you for confirming it. I will give it another whirl this weekend and report back. And I can't wait to try out your CD version 5. Thank you for your help.

Many thanks, Andy.

Mine has been working at 10.6.7, but the MSI R5770 Hawk graphic card did not work with Apple Cinema Display. I've since switched to Asus 6870 Vapor-X, after processing your ATI 6xxx package, it worked great with ACD. Downloaded 10.6.8 and installed without a problem.

I am now happy with a dual boot OSX/Win7, both working good with ACD.

My install is pretty well hosed >.<

Repaired permission and ran the 10.6.8 combo update. Got to about 90% and sat there before throwing a kernel panic. Restarted the machine, and it rebooted itself during boot. The 2nd boot it went into OS X. It shows updated to 10.6.8 in about this mac, but no Apple programs are working (chrome and other 3rd party progs work). Finder keeps quitting, and apps like ichat throw an error

"iChat cannot be opened because of a problem.

Check with the developer to make sure iChat works with this version of Mac OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and Mac OS X."

And then I have the option to ignore or report. I can run other packages, but not the 10.6.8 update. I tried repairing permissions (using the install CD, disk utility threw that same error in my regular install), nothing. Any ideas or should I just call this install done for?

My install is pretty well hosed >.<

Repaired permission and ran the 10.6.8 combo update. Got to about 90% and sat there before throwing a kernel panic. Restarted the machine, and it rebooted itself during boot. The 2nd boot it went into OS X. It shows updated to 10.6.8 in about this mac, but no Apple programs are working (chrome and other 3rd party progs work). Finder keeps quitting, and apps like ichat throw an error

"iChat cannot be opened because of a problem.

Check with the developer to make sure iChat works with this version of Mac OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates for the application and Mac OS X."

And then I have the option to ignore or report. I can run other packages, but not the 10.6.8 update. I tried repairing permissions (using the install CD, disk utility threw that same error in my regular install), nothing. Any ideas or should I just call this install done for?

if you have another install or clone then you can boot from that and run the update from that drive using the nackered drive as the target.

Failing that you could try running software update from the terminal and see if that is able to pick up on anything thats missing and install or repair it (no idea if that will work but worth a try) sudo softwareupdate -i -a

As a last resort you can install again over the top of your existing installation without erasing the drive, you should keep all of your installed applications and files.

I'm trying to install OS X SL since a few days via AndyBoot4 cd, but without luck for now. Install runs fine but after the combo update 10.6.7 it just gets stuck a the grey apple logo on boot and with combo update 10.6.8 it gets a KP at 80% of the update process which kills the system in all.

I have a Asus Sabertooth P67 Rev. 3, which one of the install packages would fit my board the most, P8P67Pro V5.0, P8P67 V5.0 or I'm in the total wrong thread here?

Any help much appreciated!

Contrary to what another poster replied above, this works perfectly fine with an Asus Sabertooth P67. I'm using the same MoBo and have used the Andy Boot CD 4 without any issues - with regards to your problem of getting stuck on the grey spinning logo, this happened to me after installing the 10.6.7 update and rebooting. The trick is to install the combo update, and then install the package BEFORE rebooting. Have posted in detail earlier in the thread.

Andy, thanks for the update on 10.6.8 and v5 - as Bism4rck asked above, as a Sabertooth user I would also like to know which package would be better suited to this board - Thanks!

Contrary to what another poster replied above, this works perfectly fine with an Asus Sabertooth P67. I'm using the same MoBo and have used the Andy Boot CD 4 without any issues - with regards to your problem of getting stuck on the grey spinning logo, this happened to me after installing the 10.6.7 update and rebooting. The trick is to install the combo update, and then install the package BEFORE rebooting. Have posted in detail earlier in the thread.

Andy, thanks for the update on 10.6.8 and v5 - as Bism4rck asked above, as a Sabertooth user I would also like to know which package would be better suited to this board - Thanks!

The only difference between the 2 packages is the lack of dsdt in the non pro package and the ethernet drivers. If your board has the same ethernet as the pro (and the drivers on cd 4 worked for you) then you can install the pro package.

First big thanks goes to Andy! With your package (boot5) I had my system up and running within few minutes, the trick was to clone the fresh installation (10.6.3) with Carbon Copy Cloner to a second partition and install the ComboUpd (10.6.8) from there to the first partition, repair permissions did not work in my case. After making my own DSDT.aml with DSDT Auto Patcher all devices are recognized as they should and even HDMI audio out is working great.

Skiddyrow use the P8P67Pro V5.0 pack, no problems all fine here with Sabertooth P67 Rev.3 + Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X OC Rev. 2 and custom DSDT.aml.

First big thanks goes to Andy! With your package (boot5) I had my system up and running within few minutes, the trick was to clone the fresh installation (10.6.3) with Carbon Copy Cloner to a second partition and install the ComboUpd (10.6.8) from there to the first partition, repair permissions did not work in my case. After making my own DSDT.aml with DSDT Auto Patcher all devices are recognized as they should and even HDMI audio out is working great.

Skiddyrow use the P8P67Pro V5.0 pack, no problems all fine here with Sabertooth P67 Rev.3 + Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X OC Rev. 2 and custom DSDT.aml.

Fancy sending me your custom dsdt so I can put together a Sabertooth package too lol.

If I get some time over the weekend I'll have a poke around to see if I can pinpoint the cause of the KP that most people seem to be getting with 10.6.8 install and see if there is anything that can be done to avoid it.

Fancy sending me your custom dsdt so I can put together a Sabertooth package too lol.

If I get some time over the weekend I'll have a poke around to see if I can pinpoint the cause of the KP that most people seem to be getting with 10.6.8 install and see if there is anything that can be done to avoid it.

:P No problem, there you go:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1mh545ri84pvihx ( Sabertooth untouched)

http://www.mediafire.com/?uild9as4gskgcnl (with HDMI Audio edit)

The DSDT.aml is created with DSDT Auto Patcher in Windows, just one custom edit is for the HDMI Audio to work from here: Demystifying HDMI Audio Part 2: DSDT Edits

6. Working HDMI Audio

HDMI audio is available out of the box for the following graphics card with the above DSDT edits.

a. Sapphire Vapor X HD 5870 1GB

b. Sapphire Vapor X HD 5770 1GB

No GraphicsEnabler or additional kext's needed. :P

:D No problem, there you go:

http://www.mediafire.com/?1mh545ri84pvihx ( Sabertooth untouched)

http://www.mediafire.com/?uild9as4gskgcnl (with HDMI Audio edit)

The DSDT.aml is created with DSDT Auto Patcher in Windows, just one custom edit is for the HDMI Audio to work from here: Demystifying HDMI Audio Part 2: DSDT Edits

No GraphicsEnabler or additional kext's needed. ;)

Great thanks!

I'll probably use the untouched version just in case the hdmi tweak causes problems for users of other gpu's.

No luck recovering my install, so I decided to just go ahead and install Lion DP4. Boot from the V5 boot cd, put my lion dvd in and try to run it and the system reboots almost immediately.

Edit: Well, it looks like Lion GM is out anyway so I'll just wait on that rather than keep messing with this. I had given up trying to get DP4 to install and just went ahead and installed SL, but from a fresh install I would repair permissions and attempt to install 10.6.8 and got a Kernel Panic that rendered the machine inoperable, I tried this with 2 fresh installs. Looking forward to a Lion install how-to from you Andy :wacko:

I've installed with andy's boot v5 and everything is working but i can't startup without the boot up disc. whenever i try to start from hdd it just shows a black screen. Any suggestions or help? I have a regular non pro board but everything is working besides that though. thanks for your help. oh and i am on 10.6.8

No luck recovering my install, so I decided to just go ahead and install Lion DP4. Boot from the V5 boot cd, put my lion dvd in and try to run it and the system reboots almost immediately.

Edit: Well, it looks like Lion GM is out anyway so I'll just wait on that rather than keep messing with this. I had given up trying to get DP4 to install and just went ahead and installed SL, but from a fresh install I would repair permissions and attempt to install 10.6.8 and got a Kernel Panic that rendered the machine inoperable, I tried this with 2 fresh installs. Looking forward to a Lion install how-to from you Andy :(

You wont be able to boot the lion install dvd using the boot cd - you have to create a bootable lion usb stick but once installed you can use the packages from the cd.

You wont be able to boot the lion install dvd using the boot cd - you have to create a bootable lion usb stick but once installed you can use the packages from the cd.

Yeah, that's my stupid fault for just trying to install it like it would work the same as SL, read all the stuff in the Lion forums about the USB stick afterwards :)

Any recommendations for instructions to follow Andy? These up to where he gets to the Post Installation instructions and then just use your package instead of the instructions he posts?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729

Or do you recommend something different for our boards?

Yeah, that's my stupid fault for just trying to install it like it would work the same as SL, read all the stuff in the Lion forums about the USB stick afterwards :D

Any recommendations for instructions to follow Andy? These up to where he gets to the Post Installation instructions and then just use your package instead of the instructions he posts?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256729

Or do you recommend something different for our boards?

Oddly enough I just posted my usb installer instructions for our boards over in the Lion forums http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=261312

:D

I've installed with andy's boot v5 and everything is working but i can't startup without the boot up disc. whenever i try to start from hdd it just shows a black screen. Any suggestions or help? I have a regular non pro board but everything is working besides that though. thanks for your help. oh and i am on 10.6.8

Can anybody help me with this please?

I´ve installed 10.6.8 with Andy CD5. Many THANK´S Andy. All works fine. I had to install it from a second HD disk, when I tried to install form my scratch disk, crushes.

The only thing is that USB 3.0 seem to no work with any of my USB 2.0 Devices, I have no USB 3.0 Devices for trying now. Has anyone check if USB 3.0 work? Another thing, when I plug a External HD via Firewire 400 works fine, but when I plug a HD firewire 800 via an adapter 400-800 it´s no recognized. Any idea to solve this?

Thanks