Asus P8P67 Pro install guide

Guest ^Andy^

663 posts in this topic

Was about too but then i found the answer!

I found the answer and i believe it has an impact for all boards using the NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 chip. Turns out when you change the BLCK/PEG frequency to more than 100hz, the NEC chip seem's to not be working well, enough that it does not recognize the USB 3.0 Disk as USB 3.0, it recognizes them as USB 2.0. I never even noticed the PEG because I had my AI Overclock Tuner set to Auto. But if you set to Manual, you will see the option the adjust the frequency. I made mine 100 and BOOM. I now get USB 3.0 speeds: Write/Read 133 Mb/s.

Everything is now working great on this board except the known PM/Sleep issues.

I seem to recall Asus recommending that you leave base clock at 100 so it has always struck me as odd that their own overclocking utility raises it (usually to 103). Guess it's the old do as we say not as we do routine lol

That's a good find though and well worth documenting so well done!

I seem to recall Asus recommending that you leave base clock at 100 so it has always struck me as odd that their own overclocking utility raises it (usually to 103). Guess it's the old do as we say not as we do routine lol

That's a good find though and well worth documenting so well done!

Hey Andy,

Is this also true of the p67 Pro boards? Have you tested this with the USB 3.0? Just curious cause i had a support ticket in with Asus and if its all boards may get them to look into it more quickly.

Hey Andy,

Is this also true of the p67 Pro boards? Have you tested this with the USB 3.0? Just curious cause i had a support ticket in with Asus and if its all boards may get them to look into it more quickly.

I don't have any usb3 devices to test with and have never moved my base clock from the default of 100 but if I had to guess then I'd say its a good bet that it will effect all of the p67 boards in some way or another (If the base clock setting is that sensitive you have to wonder what else it's potentially screwing up when you increase it).

Hello Andy, first of all, thank you for the andyboot cd, I have finally managed to get my hackintosh working in a p8p67 LE motherboard.

I'm only having an issue, which is that the hdd makes a noise (as in old hdd's) when it's seeking. At first thought it was an issue of the hdd itself, despite it was brand new, so I reinstalled everything in a different hdd that I knew for sure it's ok, since it was the one being used in my other computer.. but I have the same issue going on here.

Drives are working... but it's quite annoying to hear that, knowing that they shouldn't be doing it.

Any advice? anybody has run into this too?

Hello Andy, first of all, thank you for the andyboot cd, I have finally managed to get my hackintosh working in a p8p67 LE motherboard.

I'm only having an issue, which is that the hdd makes a noise (as in old hdd's) when it's seeking. At first thought it was an issue of the hdd itself, despite it was brand new, so I reinstalled everything in a different hdd that I knew for sure it's ok, since it was the one being used in my other computer.. but I have the same issue going on here.

Drives are working... but it's quite annoying to hear that, knowing that they shouldn't be doing it.

I can safely say thats a new one to me :wacko:

Do the drives make the same noise in another system? Not sure what else in the system would be causing the HDDs to be making any kind of strange noise.

Hi Andy,

Everything is working like a charm except for eSata and Firewire. The eSata I can't really trust because I only have one drive that supports it and I've never actually used the feature (reading up about this particular WD drive seems to return a lot of people with problems accessing the eSata feature.) The firewire on the other hand is a different matter. With three tested drives, none of the three mount and it says that it has trouble identifying the drive but in system profiler it says "Firewire Bus: Maximum Speed: Up to 400Mb/sec." It sees the port both under hardware profiler and within the network pref, but I can't get it to work with any drives. Any suggestions? Is there a kext that I'm missing for this to work?

Cheers,

Dave

P8P67, 3.4ghz i7, 60gb OCZ Vertex II, 1TB WD Black Caviar, 8G 1600mhz Ram.

After spending a lot of time getting my new Sandy Bridge build up and running I thought I may be able to save some of you a lot of grief and share what I have so far.

I have created a boot cd that should work perfectly for a P8P67 Pro although it may also work for other Sandy Bridge motherboards.

What you will need..

1 - My freshly prepared boot CD AndyBoot CD Image

2 - The mach_kernel from the 2011 macbook pro 2011 Macbook pro kernel

Burn the AndyBoot.iso file to a cd and have your Snow Leopard Install DVD at the ready..

Installation steps.

1 - Boot from your newly burnt AndyBoot CD

2 - Swap the boot CD for your Installation DVD or USB Boot Drive, wait a few minutes then press F5

3 - Select your install DVD or USB drive and hit return (no kernel flags should be required)

4 - Go through the usual installation routine

5 - Once install is complete reboot using the boot CD

6 - Hopefully you are now at the desktop with a working internet connection so go ahead and install all available OS X updates and reboot using the boot CD.

7 - Back at the desktop (hopefully) with an up to date system you can now browse the boot CD in the Extras Folder you will find a 'Post Install' folder containing [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], An ATI Graphics Update and a new kext for the AL892 audio chipset. Run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and select the following options..

8 - copy the mach_kernel that you downloaded to the root of your Snow Leopard boot drive.

9 - Reboot again - this time you shouldn't need the boot CD

10 - Once back at the desktop return to the Extras/Post Install folder and install the newer ALC892Enabler.pkg for better sound support.

11 - If you use a recent ATI graphics card run the ATI Graphics Update package from the extra/post install folder

12 - Reboot and hopefully you are done!

Ok I decided that was all far too complicated so now it's even simpler.

1 - Download the bootcd

2 - Boot from it

3 - Install Snow Leopard from DVD or USB Installation media

4 - Reboot using the bootcd

5 - Install 10.6.7 update combo (if you forgot to download it first no problem, just run the install package from the cd and reboot to get a working internet connection then go ahead and download it).

6 - Once the update is complete reboot again using the bootcd

7 - Open the bootcd, copy the installer package to your desktop and then run it (it's important to copy the installer to disk and not run it from the cd otherwise your sound will not work - this a bug in the postinstall script that I haven't been able to track down yet.

8 - Reboot without the bootcd.

Job done and everything should be working :D

The package will install the new kernel, the sandy bridge friendly chameleon boot loader and all of the relevant kext's for this motherboard. Additionally it installs all of the new ATI kexts providing native 5800 and 6800 support.

I have tested the bootcd pretty extensively by formatting my own Snow Leopard install and rebuilding it from scratch using only this bootcd and the original snow leopard install DVD so I am pretty confident that it works.

Enjoy and please feel free to provide feedback.

Andy.

post-486419-1306098032_thumb.png

Hi Andy,

Thanks a ton for this post and the BootCD. Have successfully managed to install on a Asus Sabertooth P67 using this method. Build specs below

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth P67 Rev 3

Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3 GHz Quad Core

GPU: XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB DDR5

Power Supply: Coolermaster SilentPro M600

HDD 1: Kingston SSDNow V100 64GB SSD

HDD 2: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB Sata 6GBps

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (8GB)

Optical Drive: LG GH24 24x DVD Burner

Case: Antec Solo

OS: Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.3 DVD + Combo Update 10.6.7

Firewire: SIIG Firewire PCIe Card

Sound: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24

Using the method in the first post worked flawlessly, except for the one glitch described below.

1. No BIOS changes except changing SATA mode to AHCI.

2. I did not remove the extra RAM, left it with 8GB in. Also did not remove the SIIG card.

3. Andy Boot CD Steps below

1 - Download the bootcd

2 - Boot from it

3 - Install Snow Leopard from DVD or USB Installation media

4 - Reboot using the bootcd

5 - Install 10.6.7 update combo (if you forgot to download it first no problem, just run the install package from the cd and reboot to get a working internet connection then go ahead and download it).

6 - Once the update is complete reboot again using the bootcd

This step caused me problems - after the combo update and rebooting, the screen kept getting stuck at the grey screen with the apple logo like someone mentioned earlier in this thread. Repeated the steps, but this time, installed the package in the next step before rebooting - everything worked great after that!

7 - Open the bootcd, copy the installer package to your desktop and then run it (it's important to copy the installer to disk and not run it from the cd otherwise your sound will not work - this a bug in the postinstall script that I haven't been able to track down yet.

8 - Reboot without the bootcd.

System is rock solid and works beautifully! Around 10 days in and I have had no problems whatsoever. Have not tried the sleep option as yet since I have no need for it.

I have some questions and would appreciate any help!

In the BIOS, I left turbo, speedstep on - not sure if this will cause any issues but the system works fine. Do advise if this needs to be changed.

Everything works great out of the box except the front panel audio on my Antec Solo case. Not a biggie for me as I'm using the Focusrite pretty much all the time, but I'd like to have this working as well since I would use the front panel audio for Skype calls with the Focusrite turned off. In case it helps, this is enabled as AC97 in the BIOS, as I was not sure if the Antec case supported the HD audio option.

Another issue I have is with the Bluetooth adapter (D-Link DBT-122). Plugged it in and it detected fine and seemed to work at the start. Searching around, I've found that several users say this adapter causes issues with lockup and freezing after around 10 minutes or so of usage and I had the same problem within around 10 minutes. However, some folks do seem to be using this adapter without issues. If anyone can help me get this working that would be great as I would love to get the Magic Mouse working. Otherwise I would have to try and get either the Asus BT 21 or the D-Link DBT 120 which are not easily available where I live.

Thanks!

First post =D

Is there any way we can make a USB bootable with the AndyBoot files on it?

Reason I ask is because I don't have a CD drive on this PC atm since I upgraded to this motherboard, as I only have an IDE drive... fail.

Please help!

First post =D

Is there any way we can make a USB bootable with the AndyBoot files on it?

Reason I ask is because I don't have a CD drive on this PC atm since I upgraded to this motherboard, as I only have an IDE drive... fail.

Please help!

It can be done but needs to be done from within os x so it's catch 22

Okay, I decided to go buy a DVD drive... Thats cool. I can get to the boot loader etc... But I can't see any external Mac formatted drives... why?

I can boot my mac off the external with no problem, but this bootloader won't see it.

Any ideas? I don't have Mac on a disc (other than my 2010 MBP disc, but that doesnt work obviously)

PLEASE HELP! Newbie here :(

EDIT: IT seems that NO USB (storage) is working.

My mouse and keyboard work though (Wireless USB receiver).

EDIT: IT seems that NO USB (storage) is working.

It should work, I've used it to install to several usb drives.

Only thing I can suggest is that you make sure that your usb settings are correctly configured in the bios.

I had been trying to get [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to work; tried all the options and fixes I could find and I could never get it to boot without the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] cd. Even that status would have been reluctantly acceptable as a workaround, but I also couldn’t get audio to be anything but very scratchy.

I had about given up when I saw your site targeted at my Asus board. I followed your (updated) directions and *almost* everything worked fine (network, audio, boot from hd, usb ports), except for graphics. I was stuck in a single-monitor, 1024 x 768 mode only. Choices or changes were grayed out and I could not detect my 2nd monitor.

I read through the posts and nvidia graphics seemed to be a common impasse. However, I recalled reading something interesting on Tonymac's site about the latest Mutlibeast 3.6: “These drivers support 4xx Fermi cards, making this option a replacement for tonymacx86 NVIDIA Update 1.0, and equivalent to tonymacx86 NVIDIA Update 2.0. “

So, I ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and selected ONLY System Utilities and nvidia 256.02.05f01 graphics enabler.

That was it. Pretty simple –follow your boot cd process (on this thread), make the one graphics selection on [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] 3.6, and voila--all work.

Thanks Andy. Great boot CD.

[edit: should mention I have an nvidia 460 GTX graphics card]

So I've answered a few of my own questions. Most importantly, I got my graphics card to perform by installing drivers for the quadro fx 4800 (as none were available for the 4600 on a darwin system). In case anybody else has this EXACT dilemma: you'll of course need to install CUDA first (3.2 I think for SL), and then when you go to install nVIDIA's driver package for the 4800, if you try to run the entire install package, it will detect an incompatability and not install. You need to expand the package and run the installers on each of the drivers separately ... that did the trick for me.

I suppose I was the last to know (as the last to switch from ppc to intel), but the projectM issue I mentioned is simply an long-running issue with intel systems that hasn't been fixed yet ... sad but true.

Here's a silly little issue that's come up: the OS doesn't want to acknowledge external SATA as such. For instance, I have an eSATA drive connected up, and if I start the computer with the drive hooked up and on, it'll show up like an internal hard drive. After that if I eject it or otherwise turn it on after the computer is already running, nothing happens. Even when it fails to show up on the desktop, profiler sees the drive when it's on and thinks it's just a traditional SATA drive. Presumably hot swappable drives will exhibit the same behaviour ... my only swappable drive currently on board is what I'm using as a boot drive, so I can't test that hypothesis now. What this is all building up to is: does anyone know how to make profiler (or the OS in general) see SATA connections as external? I've noticed others on the forum with similar questions, but no answers ... if someone has one, I'd very much appreciate it.

I've gotten used to the popping in the audio ... but still very much like to be rid of it if anyone knows of a solution. Cheers, -R

So I've answered a few of my own questions. Most importantly, I got my graphics card to perform by installing drivers for the quadro fx 4800 (as none were available for the 4600 on a darwin system). In case anybody else has this EXACT dilemma: you'll of course need to install CUDA first (3.2 I think for SL), and then when you go to install nVIDIA's driver package for the 4800, if you try to run the entire install package, it will detect an incompatability and not install. You need to expand the package and run the installers on each of the drivers separately ... that did the trick for me.

I suppose I was the last to know (as the last to switch from ppc to intel), but the projectM issue I mentioned is simply an long-running issue with intel systems that hasn't been fixed yet ... sad but true.

Here's a silly little issue that's come up: the OS doesn't want to acknowledge external SATA as such. For instance, I have an eSATA drive connected up, and if I start the computer with the drive hooked up and on, it'll show up like an internal hard drive. After that if I eject it or otherwise turn it on after the computer is already running, nothing happens. Even when it fails to show up on the desktop, profiler sees the drive when it's on and thinks it's just a traditional SATA drive. Presumably hot swappable drives will exhibit the same behaviour ... my only swappable drive currently on board is what I'm using as a boot drive, so I can't test that hypothesis now. What this is all building up to is: does anyone know how to make profiler (or the OS in general) see SATA connections as external? I've noticed others on the forum with similar questions, but no answers ... if someone has one, I'd very much appreciate it.

I've gotten used to the popping in the audio ... but still very much like to be rid of it if anyone knows of a solution. Cheers, -R

Another first poster here -- I reported on a successful build over at TonyMac, but I'm now experiencing some instability that manifests itself as a sudden reboot -- no error message, nothing in the Console log that indicates a problem, the system just reboots.

Specs:

P8P67 Pro Rev B3 / i7 2600K / Radeon 5770 "Batmobile" / 4x4GB Ripjaws / OCZ Vertex-3 / Antec P183 / Corsair AX750 / Scythe Mugen 2

Tried starting over from scratch:

1. Boot from Andy's CD
  2. Format OCZ; install 10.6.0 from DVD
  3. Reboot from Andy's CD; Install 10.6.7 Combo; Copy Andy's installer package to HD and run.
  4. Here, a reboot just gave me an endless gray apple screen, so I started over and tried installing BridgeEnabler from the TonyMac site. At this point, reboot works just peachy.
  5. DVD player would crash, so I added GraphicsEnabler=Yes to my com.apple.boot.plist and that fixed the problem.

So it seems like everything is hunky-dory at this point, but I get these damn reboots. They seem exacerbated by a heavy load (like running a Handbrake conversion), but have happened when surfing, fiddling in terminal, etc. I've tried running the Cache/Permission repair functionality in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], and that doesn't seem to help. I've set the system to not sleep, so I don't think that's the problem.

And when this started, I was worried about CPU temps, but I pulled the necessary monitoring kexts from Project OS X Forum, and my temps seldom see 50C, even under load.

Any thoughts?? I'm pulling my hair out over here.

Thanks for all the hard work on this, by the way...your thread is what finalized my mobo decision when spec'ing out this build.

Cheers!

While playing around with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] yesterday, I changed the System Definition to Mac Pro (from the Macbook Pro that it was registered as) thinking this would just change the name, but it looks to have done more than that B)

I'm not not able to boot and get a KP crash screen on the grey boot up screen. Is there any way I can fix this or will I have to reinstall.

Also any response to my earlier post (a few posts up) would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

While playing around with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] yesterday, I changed the System Definition to Mac Pro (from the Macbook Pro that it was registered as) thinking this would just change the name, but it looks to have done more than that :(

I'm not not able to boot and get a KP crash screen on the grey boot up screen. Is there any way I can fix this or will I have to reinstall.

Also any response to my earlier post (a few posts up) would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Did you try booting with AndyBoot?

After booting, use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to get back to the earliest settings. Clone your system too with Carbon Copy Cloner, so if you mess up your system, you can recover it without problems.

Thanx Andy.

I've been looking for such guide since long. Wonder how I didn't stumble upon this. Much appreciated.

Now, I've installed Snow Leopard successfully. Everything is working fine. Graphics, Sound, Bluetooth, Ethernet.

But I got stuck on one problem. I am not able to boot from HDD. Getting strange error saying as follows

"

boot0:GPT

boot0:test

boot0:test

boot0:error

"

And it stuck there like forever.

I've done exactly given in the guide. I've even tried to install Chameleon Sandy Bridge boot-loader, but not getting anywhere ;) . I can boot from CD though.

Any ideas?

Edit: I tried to make partition active, even I reinstall and re-partitioned my hard drive but problem still persist.

Am I doing something wrong? :)

New install cd image available here http://www.mediafire.com/?u6m909dn4h0p7cv

Brief instructions..

Boot from the cd,

Swap the cd for the OS X install DVD when the bootloader has loaded,

Wait a few minutes and press f5,

Select the install DVD and continue,

Wait for install to complete and click restart (this may hang - if so switch the pc off, wait a few mins and switch back on else the cd/dvd drive will not work),

Reboot from the boot cd and choose the hd that you installed to and boot from it,

Go through the Apple account setup,

If you have already downloaded the 10.6.7 combo update now is the time to run it, if not you need to run the p8p67pro install package to get ethernet working, reboot using the boot cd and then download the 10.6.7 combo update and run it),

Reboot again from the boot cd,

Run the package from the cd - only use the ATI6000 package if you have a supported ATI 6000 card - i.e. 6870 otherwise use the other package,

Restart once the package completes, eject the boot cd and boot from your hd

You should now have working sound, ethernet, sata, esata, bluetooth and pretty much everything except sleep (sleep even if it works will bugger up the esata support when it wakes).

Thats about the best I can do for now :blink:

NOTE: If you already have a working system do NOT use this cd - it's aimed at making install or reinstall simple. There are changes on this version of the disk that will likely cause problems if you have an existing install - I no longer install any kexts to the Extras folder but rather to the S/L/E folder (in preperation for Lion). Ignore that advice if you like but if you do I may not help you with any problems!

Can a friendly mod please update the first post with this info as I no longer have access to it. Many Thanks!

Thanks a lot Andy for your hard work.

Quick question:

I used your previous boot CD to install OSX on a system with an ASUS P8P67-M (non-pro)

I had to use [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] to enable ethernet, and used the PDF guide posted earlier and found here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20560

Does the post install program you supply install drivers for a Radeon HD6870? [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] has these drivers, and some people suggest selecting in [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], but I'm not sure why I would do that. I did that and it works fine, but I dont want to install files needlessly.

I did not have sound working, as the P8P67-M Pro uses the 887 sound card, but luckily someone on Tonymac was able to help and provide me with a kext:

1. option - use AppleHDA

- remove ALC8xxHDA from /E/E

- put attached ALC887vdHDA_6Ch_RMic_SPDIF.kext into /E/E

- run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with selected System Utilities + AppleHDA Rollback + ALC887/888b HDAEnabler

- reboot

- you should get stereo out as Internal Speakers or headphones if plugged-in + 2 more lines out + SPDIF out + rear mic in + rear line in

- SPDIF not tested - would be nice to hear if this works

- if switching between IntSpeakers and headphones does not work for you, then download rafirafi's original version from the second link and replace ALC887vdHDA_6Ch.. with that one (plus run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] with System Utilities only)

I also installed fake SMC, USB3 and a few other bits and pieces as suggested by the PDF guide, but if I understand correctly, your boot CD is a stand alone program that should not require [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]? However untill I used [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], my system showed as having DDR2 RAM at 800mhz.

Would you recommend re-running the post installed on my system? Do you know if your new CD will support the non pro P8P67 fully?

I do not have bluetooth working, and if the computer falls asleep, I cannot wake it up, so I had to turn off sleep in power preferences.

If anyone else can offer me any advice please do so!

Thanks

Saad

OK facepalm moment ;)

The current ATI6000 package on BootCD 4 doesn't appear to work properly.

I have built a fixed version of the Boot CD and will upload it this evening. Once done I will provide the new url for download.

For info I have also included the latest ATI drivers in the fixed version (the drivers from the latest 10.6.8 beta).