Asus P8P67 Pro install guide

Guest ^Andy^

663 posts in this topic

Do you guys have sleep mode working? I can't wake my computer back from sleep.

I have the same problem actually and I have not found any workaround so far.

Sleep worked fine in 10.6.7 (with sleepenabler.kext) but I cannot get it to work in 10.6.8 ;)

Screen sleeps and wakes fine though so I just put "Never sleep" and unchecked "Do not allow power button to put computer into sleep" in Configuration panel/Energy till I find a working solution.

Hey, I'm new to these forums, and have been following this guide to set up my hackintosh (after reading some other guides briefly and whatnot). I am still not quite in the know about certain things such as [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and BridgeHelper, and I don't know if I'll need those yet. My issue (what I'm posting about) is just in the mid-stages of getting everything working. So I hope someone will hear me out and help me with this problem:

I have created an AndyBoot disc. I have created an OS X Snow Leopard bootable USB drive. I booted form AndyBoot disc and formatted my 1TB hard drive with three partitions: one for OS X Snow Leopard, one for Windows (FAT32 format currently), and one for transferring/storing files.

Anyways, I managed to install OS X Snow Leopard. I then followed the next instruction (to update to 10.6.7). I installed 10.6.8 update. After doing so, and rebooting, OS X Snow Leopard would not boot at all. (errr... was I being stupid? do I have to do 10.6.7?)

So I tried reformatting and doing it again. This time I did everything the same, except I installed the AndyBoot software on my OS X install first (before updating to 10.6.7). I then rebooted and got a full white screen (the black cursor showed up, and if I clicked along the bottom I could see black outlines of the dock).

I'm confused as to what I should be doing next. I figure there should be a simple solution, but I'm not exactly sure what it is. The relevant hardware I'm using is an Asus P8P67 Pro motherboard, i7 2600k processor, 8GB (4x 2GB) DDR3 1600MHz RAM, and Radeon 5770 1GB graphics card.

EDIT: I rebooted and now I get a checkered screen with all trays and bluish and purplish colours (approx 4 blocks up and 7 blocks across, some are cut off... and it's obvious that I'm on the desktop but everything is showing blocks and I can't make out any real shapes or anything).

EDIT#2: I rebooted again, and the same thing. Except it's just black, light blue, and white boxes (mainly just white on the screen). I can tell the computer is running now at 1680x1050 resolution (based on the sharpness and the cursor), which is the resolution of the screen I'm using to set this up, but I still am not getting a regular screen.

Latest Packages and Boot CD available below..

Changes..

New package for P8P67 Sabertooth motherboards has been added (feedback appreciated please because I can't test this package myself).

System definition has been updated to 12,2 in smbios and the elusive USB3.0 kext has been added back in because I appear to have accidentally missed it from my last set of packages.

Packages

P8P67Sabertooth http://www.mediafire.com/?uahydjc0koyyuvk

P8P67Pro http://www.mediafire.com/?ytr7cp3gh46ovka

P8P67 http://www.mediafire.com/?a1y7rgrxy3ems8c

Boot CD

AndyBoot http://www.mediafire.com/?gsgt6tdd2zw70lw

hello andy, could you create a kext package for the P8P67 Deluxe and for Nvidia GTX 470?

My computer:

P8P67 Deluxe

i7 2600k @4.7 Ghz

8Gb Vengeance

GTX 470 @850/1880Mhz

could you create a package for these system?

with your P8P67 pro packege the audio and the graphics card doesn't work.

it's the overclocking?

sorry for my bad english, i'm italian.

Hi Andy,

First of all, thanks for creating the Bootloader CD and this is the coolest bootloader disc available in da market!

and i successfully install the Hackintosh on my i7-2600k Asus P8P67 Pro up and 100% running!!!! :):P:thumbsup_anim:

However, i wish to move 1 step ahead to dual boot the system. I tried to install Win 7 x64 bit to my system.

I facing the problem here whereby the system immediate go to Win 7 and boot into the OS. and i no longer see your

bootloader. Appreciate you show me a way to make the bootloader come out or option whereby i can choose b4 the

system go into respective OS.

You now have to set the Snow Leopard partition so that your computer boots from it first. Therefore, Chameleon loads and you can select either Snow Leopard or Windows 7. You will have to issue a few commands to Terminal in order to accomplish this task.

Open Applications/Utilities/Terminal.

Type diskutil list

Write down the IDENTIFIER of your Apple_HFS Snow Leopard drive. For this example: disk0s2.

Type sudo -s

Enter your password.

Type fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0

Type y

Type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0

Type p

Type f 2

Type w

Type y

Close Terminal and reboot.

Unplug all drives except the dual boot drive and restart. You should now be able to boot directly into Chameleon, stop the boot countdown and select either Snow Leopard or Windows NTFS as shown in the picture below.

after i apply this setting....the Win 7 can't even boot after i type the same command in the Snow Leapord...

I also tried to use EasyBCD in win 7 to boot up the loader yet no luck...

Appreciate your help and waiting patiently for your reply.

PS: You rock my world!

Hi Andy,

First of all, thanks for creating the Bootloader CD and this is the coolest bootloader disc available in da market!

and i successfully install the Hackintosh on my i7-2600k Asus P8P67 Pro up and 100% running!!!! :(;);)

However, i wish to move 1 step ahead to dual boot the system. I tried to install Win 7 x64 bit to my system.

I facing the problem here whereby the system immediate go to Win 7 and boot into the OS. and i no longer see your

bootloader. Appreciate you show me a way to make the bootloader come out or option whereby i can choose b4 the

system go into respective OS.

after i apply this setting....the Win 7 can't even boot after i type the same command in the Snow Leapord...

I also tried to use EasyBCD in win 7 to boot up the loader yet no luck...

Appreciate your help and waiting patiently for your reply.

PS: You rock my world!

Try repairing your win 7 bootloader by using the windows 7 dvd and using the recovery option and then reboot again using the win7 dvd, go to recovery options, advanced and find the command prompt. Then try using diskpart to set the osx partition active and see if that works (if not just do the same again and use diskpart to set the windows 7 partition as active).

to set a partition active using diskpart once at the command prompt...

Type 'diskpart' and hit [enter] (dont type the quotes)

Type 'list disk' and hit [enter]

Type 'select disk <whichever disk number is relevant - for a single disk system its 0>' - i.e. 'select disk 0' hit [enter]

Type 'list partition' and hit [enter]

Type 'select partition <whichever partition number snow is on>' and hit [enter]

Type 'active' and hit [enter]

reboot and see if it works.

I've also got easybcd working on a several of my builds but they are all using mbr partitioned disks.

Try repairing your win 7 bootloader by using the windows 7 dvd and using the recovery option and then reboot again using the win7 dvd, go to recovery options, advanced and find the command prompt. Then try using diskpart to set the osx partition active and see if that works (if not just do the same again and use diskpart to set the windows 7 partition as active).

to set a partition active using diskpart once at the command prompt...

Type 'diskpart' and hit [enter] (dont type the quotes)

Type 'list disk' and hit [enter]

Type 'select disk <whichever disk number is relevant - for a single disk system its 0>' - i.e. 'select disk 0' hit [enter]

Type 'list partition' and hit [enter]

Type 'select partition <whichever partition number snow is on>' and hit [enter]

Type 'active' and hit [enter]

reboot and see if it works.

I've also got easybcd working on a several of my builds but they are all using mbr partitioned disks.

hello andy, could you create a kext package for the P8P67 Deluxe and for Nvidia GTX 470?

My computer:

P8P67 Deluxe

i7 2600k @4.7 Ghz

8Gb Vengeance

GTX 470 @850/1880Mhz

could you create a package for these system?

with your P8P67 pro packege the audio and the graphics card doesn't work.

it's the overclocking?

sorry for my bad english, i'm italian.

Hi Andy,

I've been using Boot CD 5 to try to get SL on my PC.

Its config is:

ASUS Sabertooth P67

uEFI set to Opt Def with Marvell & USB3 turned off

4GB (for build) Corsair Vengence 1600 CL9

EVGA GTX480ee fermi

500GB HDD Seagate

LG BD/DVD combo drive

I first started with TonyMac but really never got very far.

Using CD 5 I'm to the point where the 10.6.8 Combo is about to finish (about one minute) and the "curtain" falls and it tells me to hold down the power. I've been following your instruction sheet, in one attempt adding a reboot after repairing. I'm on "BIOS" 1850b. Would rolling back be of any help?

I have no other setup to try from as you mentioned. Any other ideas or suggestions.

Thanks!!

Joe

Hi Andy,

I've been using Boot CD 5 to try to get SL on my PC.

It's config is:

ASUS Sabertooth P67

uEFI set to Opt Def with Marvell & USB3 turned off

4GB (for build) Corsair Vengence 1600 CL9

EVGA GTX480ee fermi

500GB HDD Seagate

LG BD/DVD combo drive

I first started with TonyMac but really never got very far.

Using CD 5 I'm to the point where the 10.6.8 Combo is about to finish (about one minute) and the "curtain" falls and it tells me to hold down the power. I've been following your instruction sheet, in one attempt adding a reboot after repairing. I'm on "BIOS" 1850b. Would rolling back be of any help?

I have no other setup to try from as you mentioned. Any other ideas or suggestions.

Thanks!!

Joe

Before installing the 10.6.8 update delete the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext from within the IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext plugins folder in System/Library/Extensions (note only delete the ACPI_SMC_platformPlugin.kext from within the other kext - do NOT delete the whole IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext)

Before installing the 10.6.8 update delete the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext from within the IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext plugins folder in System/Library/Extensions (note only delete the ACPI_SMC_platformPlugin.kext from within the other kext - do NOT delete the whole IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext)

Thanks Andy! I'll try that and report back, maybe from the Mac! :unsure:

Joe

Hi Andy,

No joy. Had the same result. The window shade dropped in the last minute. Any other ideas?

JOY!! I went back and read the previous notes AGAIN. This time I spotted that I needed to rebuild the kext with the Wizard and reboot. THEN I had success. Applied the Sabertooth patch and got Ethernet, sound and maybe more. Still working on it and getting the dual boot working. Writing this from Windows as don't have nVidia working yett. Says it won't apply to this computer when I try and run the patch?? Jazzed!

THANK YOU ANDY!! :(:(:)

Joe

Hi Andy,

OK, I had a working system, but. I had to use some TonyMac utils to get nVidia drivers working. That was the beginning of the end. I lost the Andy version of the boot loader and eventually lost it all when I rebooted and got the old grey apple screen and nothing more.

Question, what is the Andy way of being able to install the nVidia package safely? Also how do I control the boot loader, IE. Timings and boot choices.

Thanks again, I was close, had it all working, now for the long term. Also is there a backup utility that would work to restore a working system with this method? Rebuilding from scratch is getting old, I know there must be a better way.

Joe

Hi Andy,

OK, I had a working system, but. I had to use some TonyMac utils to get nVidia drivers working. That was the beginning of the end. I lost the Andy version of the boot loader and eventually lost it all when I rebooted and got the old grey apple screen and nothing more.

Question, what is the Andy way of being able to install the nVidia package safely? Also how do I control the boot loader, IE. Timings and boot choices.

Thanks again, I was close, had it all working, now for the long term. Also is there a backup utility that would work to restore a working system with this method? Rebuilding from scratch is getting old, I know there must be a better way.

Joe

I can;t help regarding installing the nVidia drivers as I use Ati cards however I'm sure others here have managed to get the nVidia stuff installed and working.

Regarding the boot loader - it's just chameleon so you can use any of the usual chameleon tweaks by adding them to the com.apple.Boot.plist file inside the Extras folder. Google will reveal most of the commonly used flags to use.

For backing up or cloning my install I use carbon copy cloner (it should have been installed on your system already if you used any of the packages on the version 5 boot disk.

I can;t help regarding installing the nVidia drivers as I use Ati cards however I'm sure others here have managed to get the nVidia stuff installed and working.

Regarding the boot loader - it's just chameleon so you can use any of the usual chameleon tweaks by adding them to the com.apple.Boot.plist file inside the Extras folder. Google will reveal most of the commonly used flags to use.

For backing up or cloning my install I use carbon copy cloner (it should have been installed on your system already if you used any of the packages on the version 5 boot disk.

I had the nVidia working at full res but I used a TonyMac utility and that blew away your loader. Rerunning the Sabertooth package didn't put it back. Also continuing to futz with the Beast nuked me on reboot. Hesitant to try that again. Right now I'm back to where I was sans proper video. Will keep looking. Thanks for your great work on the Andy CD!!

Joe

I had the nVidia working at full res but I used a TonyMac utility and that blew away your loader. Rerunning the Sabertooth package didn't put it back. Also continuing to futz with the Beast nuked me on reboot. Hesitant to try that again. Right now I'm back to where I was sans proper video. Will keep looking. Thanks for your great work on the Andy CD!!

Joe

H'mm be interested to see what the tonymac installer buggered up. Is it part of the latest [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] installer? If so I may have a look see what's its screwing up.

H'mm be interested to see what the tonymac installer buggered up. Is it part of the latest [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] installer? If so I may have a look see what's its screwing up.

I was tooling around with some of the options. They looked interesting, but. When I rebooted I had Tony's boot loader (which runs off my screen and doubles up) (yours runs cleaner) then the old grey Apple boot screen and death. :-(

I downloaded Tony's nVidia stand alone updater but it just made a folder and no installer. I'm not at the point to know how to install this stuff. :-( I just want to get to the point that the nVidia installer is happy and does the proper update. Sigh.

I was tooling around with some of the options. They looked interesting, but. When I rebooted I had Tony's boot loader (which runs off my screen and doubles up) (yours runs cleaner) then the old grey Apple boot screen and death. :-(

I downloaded Tony's nVidia stand alone updater but it just made a folder and no installer. I'm not at the point to know how to install this stuff. :-( I just want to get to the point that the nVidia installer is happy and does the proper update. Sigh.

Ahh right you probably installed chimera and overwrote your existing boot file along with the com.apple.Boot.plist with whatever settings that it defaulted to. Chimera is basically just an alternative build of chameleon and is in my opinion completely unnecessary given the current pace of development and support for the official chameleon trunk builds. You are also far more likely to find support for the latest trunk builds of chameleon a lot more forthcoming than chimera.

Ahh right you probably installed chimera and overwrote your existing boot file along with the com.apple.Boot.plist with whatever settings that it defaulted to. Chimera is basically just an alternative build of chameleon and is in my opinion completely unnecessary given the current pace of development and support for the official chameleon trunk builds. You are also far more likely to find support for the latest trunk builds of chameleon a lot more forthcoming than chimera.

All very confusing to me. As is the inability to reply on this forum using Safari in my iPad. If I use an alternate browser and emulate Safari Mac, then, well I'm writing now. Back to topic. I carefully used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and applied enough to now have the system booting with the TonyMac loader and the very plain grey Apple screen. The stylized one is gone. There is an option in Beast to load that one, 64 bit, think. If I see 8GB in About my Mac, am I running 64 bit? Noob question, sorry. Now, though, I can use the nVidia installer and update my drivers. So I am running at. Full res and 64bit I think. I feel like I'm dancing on egg shells. One false move and it's back to a reload. Oy. Maybe, Andy, someone with an nVidia rig can help you setup a cd for that setup? Smeone who knows what they are doing too! Hehehe.

Is there an easy way to replace the boot loader back to yours or are they totally linked to the system that they can't be switched?

Joe

All very confusing to me. As is the inability to reply on this forum using Safari in my iPad. If I use an alternate browser and emulate Safari Mac, then, well I'm writing now. Back to topic. I carefully used [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and applied enough to now have the system booting with the TonyMac loader and the very plain grey Apple screen. The stylized one is gone. There is an option in Beast to load that one, 64 bit, think. If I see 8GB in About my Mac, am I running 64 bit? Noob question, sorry. Now, though, I can use the nVidia installer and update my drivers. So I am running at. Full res and 64bit I think. I feel like I'm dancing on egg shells. One false move and it's back to a reload. Oy. Maybe, Andy, someone with an nVidia rig can help you setup a cd for that setup? Smeone who knows what they are doing too! Hehehe.

Is there an easy way to replace the boot loader back to yours or are they totally linked to the system that they can't be switched?

Joe

Replacing the bootloader is simple enough but there would be no advantage in doing so - they are both different builds of chameleon so in all likelihood very similar.

You finally have your system working so I'd tend to leave it alone now lol.