Asus P8P67 Pro install guide

Guest ^Andy^

663 posts in this topic

I can't seem to get the USB 3.0 ports to work. Is the kext on the Andy disk the same ones as the [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] ones? Does anyone have the kext links?

Hey Andy or any other members,

I've been reading through this thread for several days and just today have probably read through most of it 2 or 3 times. I had a working SL install except for the graphics card but I could a least change the resolution. Using andys first boot cd. Well I didn't have anything important on the drive yet so i decided to restart and use his 3rd revision. I have everything working except the graphics card and for some reason the usb3 support just stopped working. I'm more concerned about the graphics card more than the rest. I've tried to just search google, tonymac, and here for the answer but everything i've done hasn't gotten me any results. So i'm hoping somebody can let me know some exact steps i need to take to get my graphics card (XFX 6850) working on my setup. I don't mind doing a reinstall. Oh and I almost forgot when using the ATI600 Pro Install package it usually comes up with an error saying ati6000 was not installed properly along with apple hda. but i'm not worried about the sound part. I can fix that but they normally come up in that pair when i use the installer. and sometimes some of the other ati kexts.

I have a:

Asus P8P67 Rev 3.0 (non pro)

Intel Core i3-2100

G. Skill 16GB 1600mhz ram

XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB (the one with dual fans)

If there is anymore info you need in order to help me just let me know. I've also used as many methods i could find. But maybe there are a few i've missed. Or maybe there is something i'm missing doing from the start? Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. I'm also going to try another fresh install asap just in case. Thanks in advance. And Thanks so much for what you've provided Andy and all the others with getting such a great installed out there!

Hey Andy or any other members,

I've been reading through this thread for several days and just today have probably read through most of it 2 or 3 times. I had a working SL install except for the graphics card but I could a least change the resolution. Using andys first boot cd. Well I didn't have anything important on the drive yet so i decided to restart and use his 3rd revision. I have everything working except the graphics card and for some reason the usb3 support just stopped working. I'm more concerned about the graphics card more than the rest. I've tried to just search google, tonymac, and here for the answer but everything i've done hasn't gotten me any results. So i'm hoping somebody can let me know some exact steps i need to take to get my graphics card (XFX 6850) working on my setup. I don't mind doing a reinstall. Oh and I almost forgot when using the ATI600 Pro Install package it usually comes up with an error saying ati6000 was not installed properly along with apple hda. but i'm not worried about the sound part. I can fix that but they normally come up in that pair when i use the installer. and sometimes some of the other ati kexts.

I have a:

Asus P8P67 Rev 3.0 (non pro)

Intel Core i3-2100

G. Skill 16GB 1600mhz ram

XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB (the one with dual fans)

I had a similar problem. For some reasons, i had issues with the kexts being installed correctly. So, what i did was use the kext wizard to verify i had all the kexts from Andy's Package, and fixed permissions on both Extras and S/L/E. After that, the system booted with no issue.

I hope that helps for you too.

G

Thanks ghost. I'll definitely try that. Just 2 questions. Im still fairly new with hackintoshing so where do I get this wonderful kept wizard or is that the same as using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and the checking in the repair permissions/caches? And how do I specify it to fix the permissions in those particular folders or does it do it automatically? Thanks for everybody's suggestion.

<br />Thanks ghost. I'll definitely try that. Just 2 questions. Im still fairly new with hackintoshing so where do I get this wonderful kept wizard or is that the same as using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and the checking in the repair permissions/caches? And how do I specify it to fix the permissions in those particular folders or does it do it automatically? Thanks for everybody's suggestion.<br />
<br /><br /><br />try search on kexts.com, many tools in there

Thanks ghost. I'll definitely try that. Just 2 questions. Im still fairly new with hackintoshing so where do I get this wonderful kept wizard or is that the same as using [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and the checking in the repair permissions/caches? And how do I specify it to fix the permissions in those particular folders or does it do it automatically? Thanks for everybody's suggestion.

Go to [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and just select System Utilities.

"Repair Permissions" only and always do the job on systems disk.

thanks for the help. this was great. i have 2 questions. easiest install ever

i have a ATI 6950 in my system, its obvious that this is not going to work until apple adds this as an option in a mac pro. Ill take it out and sell it (im not a gamer its way overkill anyway) what is the best card to run OSX86 and windows in a dual boot option? im not stuck on ati, ill go nvidia if appropriate. I do use dual monitors 1920x1200 ea.

second. i have a setup (ill list full details below) with 2 ssd's in it. my goal is to dual boot. i want osx on one, and windows 7 on the other drive. i did test the OSX install it works completely (minus video, but ill buy a new card). now i want to boot to the loader and pick osx or windows. i really have no idea how to make that happen. I dont mind re-coring windows (i would prefer an EFI option, if possible). Can i simply use the install to the "first" SSD with OSX and the boot loader on it, put the second ssd in install windows to it? im thinking windows will kill the bootloader. help is appreciated.

Thanks for all the help.

mysetup:

Asus p8p67 pro

Intel 2500k @ 4.8ghz

16g Gskill 1600 RipJaw X

2 x 128gb Crucial SSD

ATTI 6950 (not working in osx)

Corsair 650 modular P/S

Thermaltake Level 10gt

16tb NAS on a GB lan for storage

everything worked using this method, but sound. i used the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] like stated earilier in the forum. video does not work, but that is not the methods fault.

thanks for the help. this was great. i have 2 questions. easiest install ever

i have a ATI 6950 in my system, its obvious that this is not going to work until apple adds this as an option in a mac pro. Ill take it out and sell it (im not a gamer its way overkill anyway) what is the best card to run OSX86 and windows in a dual boot option? im not stuck on ati, ill go nvidia if appropriate. I do use dual monitors 1920x1200 ea.

second. i have a setup (ill list full details below) with 2 ssd's in it. my goal is to dual boot. i want osx on one, and windows 7 on the other drive. i did test the OSX install it works completely (minus video, but ill buy a new card). now i want to boot to the loader and pick osx or windows. i really have no idea how to make that happen. I dont mind re-coring windows (i would prefer an EFI option, if possible). Can i simply use the install to the "first" SSD with OSX and the boot loader on it, put the second ssd in install windows to it? im thinking windows will kill the bootloader. help is appreciated.

Thanks for all the help.

mysetup:

Asus p8p67 pro

Intel 2500k @ 4.8ghz

16g Gskill 1600 RipJaw X

2 x 128gb Crucial SSD

ATTI 6950 (not working in osx)

Corsair 650 modular P/S

Thermaltake Level 10gt

16tb NAS on a GB lan for storage

everything worked using this method, but sound. i used the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] like stated earilier in the forum. video does not work, but that is not the methods fault.

My system:

- Asus P8P67Pro

- Intel i7-2600k

- MSI R5770 Hawk

- 16GB GSkill 1600 RipJaw

- Corsair TX650W

Using Andy original BootCD, Mac OSX 10.6 installation DVD and Windows 7 Pro x64, I have been able to set up a dual boot OSX/Win7 with reference of this guide: Dual Boot Windows 7 and OS X Snow Leopard Using Chameleon (using Andy BootCD instead). I have installed both OSes on partitions of a 1.5TB HDD, but I think it will do on separate HDDs or SSDs.

The Windows part has been working perfectly.

The OSX worked for most part, audio and bluetooth included. However, I've experienced intermittent flickering display on a Dell UltraSharp U2711 Rev A04 at 2560x1440 max resolution. Lower resolutions are stable, or using monitor with lower resolution. Switch to 1920x1080 and then back to 2560x1440 would stabilize it most of the time(?!!). I might have to switch to another monitor. An Apple Cinema Display may be good for OSX part, but I am not sure of the Windows part(?). Quite a few photography and video works are processed, so a high resolution monitor is preferred.

Another poster (Shortbrant) also mentioned successful with another 5770 card (Sapphire Radeon HD5770 Vapor-X 1 GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card 100283VX-2L) which I would buy if I haven't already had my MSI since there are 2 DVIs on this Sapphire card.

Hey,

firstly thank you for the hard work you put in this andy! i really appreciate that!

i tried to install os x using your boot cd and everything seems to work fine, except (of course -.-) my graphic card. i have a asus eah6850. i tried using your "P8P67 Pro Installer ATI6000.pkg" and using the ati driver included in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. all with the same outcome. i also tried "GraphicsEnabler=Yes", "GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Duckweed", "PCIRootUID=0", "PCIRootUID=1". with graphics enabler=yes i can't even boot (the system just stops booting without an error message).

i can't pic an other resolution besides 1024x768 and the system profiler shows my card as the following:

Display:

Type:	GPU
 Bus:	PCIe
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	256 MB
 Vendor:	ATI (0x1002)
 Device ID:	0x6739
 Revision ID:	0x0000
 Kernel Extension Info:	No Kext Loaded
 Displays:
Display:
 Resolution:	1024 x 768
 Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes

any ideas would be highly appreciated!

Hey,

firstly thank you for the hard work you put in this andy! i really appreciate that!

i tried to install os x using your boot cd and everything seems to work fine, except (of course -.-) my graphic card. i have a asus eah6850. i tried using your "P8P67 Pro Installer ATI6000.pkg" and using the ati driver included in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. all with the same outcome. i also tried "GraphicsEnabler=Yes", "GraphicsEnabler=Yes AtiConfig=Duckweed", "PCIRootUID=0", "PCIRootUID=1". with graphics enabler=yes i can't even boot (the system just stops booting without an error message).

i can't pic an other resolution besides 1024x768 and the system profiler shows my card as the following:

after realizing i couldnt use my 6950 in osx. i went out last night and bought a 6850. i followed only this guide (and maybe there was one other thread link for the 6850) and i have everything working.

i used graphicsenabler=no and that did the trick.

dual monitor support at full 1920x1200 everything seems fine.

Display:

Displays:
Display:

Hey,

Display:

Displays:
Display:

Hi klinke,

it took a long while but I finally managed to get my MSI 6850 card working with the frame buffer Ipomoea after I installed the Chimera boot from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.6.0 and the ATI drivers from the same [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].

This is my com.apple.boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Ipomoea</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

and make sure you fix all permissions using kext wizard ticking both extra and system/Library/Extensions boxes. I did have to fix my 1920x1600 screen resolution afterwards using switchresx 4.

Hope this Helps Terry.

After spending a lot of time getting my new Sandy Bridge build up and running I thought I may be able to save some of you a lot of grief and share what I have so far.

I have created a boot cd that should work perfectly for a P8P67 Pro although it may also work for other Sandy Bridge motherboards.

What you will need..

1 - My freshly prepared boot CD AndyBoot CD Image

2 - The mach_kernel from the 2011 macbook pro 2011 Macbook pro kernel

Burn the AndyBoot.iso file to a cd and have your Snow Leopard Install DVD at the ready..

Installation steps.

1 - Boot from your newly burnt AndyBoot CD

2 - Swap the boot CD for your Installation DVD or USB Boot Drive, wait a few minutes then press F5

3 - Select your install DVD or USB drive and hit return (no kernel flags should be required)

4 - Go through the usual installation routine

5 - Once install is complete reboot using the boot CD

6 - Hopefully you are now at the desktop with a working internet connection so go ahead and install all available OS X updates and reboot using the boot CD.

7 - Back at the desktop (hopefully) with an up to date system you can now browse the boot CD in the Extras Folder you will find a 'Post Install' folder containing [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], An ATI Graphics Update and a new kext for the AL892 audio chipset. Run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and select the following options..

8 - copy the mach_kernel that you downloaded to the root of your Snow Leopard boot drive.

9 - Reboot again - this time you shouldn't need the boot CD

10 - Once back at the desktop return to the Extras/Post Install folder and install the newer ALC892Enabler.pkg for better sound support.

11 - If you use a recent ATI graphics card run the ATI Graphics Update package from the extra/post install folder

12 - Reboot and hopefully you are done!

Ok I decided that was all far too complicated so now it's even simpler.

1 - Download the bootcd

2 - Boot from it

3 - Install Snow Leopard from DVD or USB Installation media

4 - Reboot using the bootcd

5 - Install 10.6.7 update combo (if you forgot to download it first no problem, just run the install package from the cd and reboot to get a working internet connection then go ahead and download it).

6 - Once the update is complete reboot again using the bootcd

7 - Open the bootcd, copy the installer package to your desktop and then run it (it's important to copy the installer to disk and not run it from the cd otherwise your sound will not work - this a bug in the postinstall script that I haven't been able to track down yet.

8 - Reboot without the bootcd.

Job done and everything should be working :D

The package will install the new kernel, the sandy bridge friendly chameleon boot loader and all of the relevant kext's for this motherboard. Additionally it installs all of the new ATI kexts providing native 5800 and 6800 support.

I have tested the bootcd pretty extensively by formatting my own Snow Leopard install and rebuilding it from scratch using only this bootcd and the original snow leopard install DVD so I am pretty confident that it works.

Enjoy and please feel free to provide feedback.

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the Tut Much appreciated.

I hit a few problems firstly I could not boot from the CD I burned it twice just to make sure got KP

on 2 machines one already running Snow lepoard 10.6.7 without any problems this is a core2 Duo

was hopinmg to install osx on my new Asus P8P67 Pro I7 2600K 8MB Corsair Vengance MSI GTX560 TI

Managed to Install OSX 10.6.0 using the Install method from my othe Hackintosh using USB pen drive to Boot and install I then followed your Tutorial exept for the Graphics

First try Snow lepoard loaded but no LAN No Sound, so tried reinstalling only instead of choosing

Hnak's AppleIntelE1000e in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] I selected Gigabit Lan V2.0

Lan worked but when accessing the Internet after searching in google and selecting a link

Coloured Wheel would appear the only way to get rid of it is to force quit Safari.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Many Thanks.

Hi klinke,

it took a long while but I finally managed to get my MSI 6850 card working with the frame buffer Ipomoea after I installed the Chimera boot from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] 3.6.0 and the ATI drivers from the same [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].

This is my com.apple.boot.plist

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>Kernel</key>

<string>mach_kernel</string>

<key>Kernel Flags</key>

<string></string>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>AtiConfig</key>

<string>Ipomoea</string>

<key>Timeout</key>

<string>1</string>

<key>Legacy Logo</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>

<string>Yes</string>

</dict>

</plist>

and make sure you fix all permissions using kext wizard ticking both extra and system/Library/Extensions boxes. I did have to fix my 1920x1600 screen resolution afterwards using switchresx 4.

Hope this Helps Terry.

Hi Terri!

Thank you for your help! I did not try it yet, though.

I re-installed everything from scratch, using andys install package WITHOUT the ati support. Then, after rebooting, I installed the ati driver from the latest [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. I managed to get a higher resolution (1680x1050, which is fine, because my display doesen't support a higher res anyways ^^) and the graphics card recognized as "ATI Radeon HD NI40". As far as I know, that means that my card is not running at "full speed", right? Also, I can't start geekbech or dvd player (quits unexpectedly). Final Cut seems to work, but Ableton Live quits right after launching -.-

So, now the question:

Do I have to install Chimera? Or will Andys Bootloader do just fine with your boot plist?

Thanks again!! :)

UPDATE:

I LOVE YOU MAN!

Although Ipomoea was giving me Kernel Panics, Duckweed works like a charm! Geekbench starts up, Ableton Live.. Everything works now! Thank you sooooo much!!!

Geekbench (32bit): 8660

Cinebench: 38,30 FPS / 5,02 pts

Finally got my graphics card recognized. Fir anybody who might have the same card or just needs a suggestion here is what I did.

After trying almost all the different framebuffers for the 6850 and close to giving up I remembered I ce across a post about going to the s/l/e and showing package for the ati6000 kext. So I do that and wouldnt you know it, it lists 3 framebuffers I could use in the code. The first was Gibba(which I had tried with no positive results) well under Gibba it said no hdcp or something along those lines. So I figured I just can't use Hdmi cable for that name. There were 2 others. Lotus and muskgrass (I think) 2 I didn't try. So I put in lotus and BAM! After restart my system booted and card was recognized in about Mac screen. So If anybody has a Xfx radeon 6850 with dual fans. Those 3 seem to be the only framebuffers that will work. Thanks for everybody's help and I hope this helps some people out.

Andy or anyone with an Asus P8 series board (P8P67, P8H67, Pro, M, I, etc versions) for that matter...

I have USB 3.0 working but speeds are slow (37-40mb/s r/w) which is slightly faster than my USB 2 speeds. Curious if anyone has benchmarked and if they are getting much faster speeds? I installed the Lacie drivers and my 3.0 devices in 3.0 ports are detected fine. Its just the speeds are not there. I am wondering if its something with the drivers or the boards.

For those who do have it working at faster speeds, did you do anything special?

I was copying some files to my western digital 3.0 hard drive. I believe I believe I was getting around 70-100. Just installed the kexts through [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].

Hmmm...

Are you running 10.6.7? Did you install via andys boot or MB? Did you also install the USB rollback from MB? Did you change any USB BIOS setting? I am trying to narrow down the problem but it has been hard...

Yeah. Running 10.6.7

Installed with andys disk rev 3.0

Then had to use mb for Ethernet, audio, graphics card and USB 3.0. Never clicked anything else.

Thanks. I didnt need to use andys method as i am using the mini itx version of this board with an Apple ATI Radeon card and it worked fine with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. But im going to restore to my golden image and try andys installer and see if that makes a difference...although not sure why it should....

You didnt upgrade to the 10.7.4 kernel did you (either by running the MBP or iMac Early 2011 SB update?)

Damn.

I did an install with Andys 3.0 but same result. Still slow USB 3 speeds. The fact that I have tried 2 different 3.0 drives (a seagate goflex and a portable iomega) with the same problems doesnt make me happy. The drives are recognized fine in the OS. Copy to and from is fine. Speeds just suck. Makes no sense to me since all these Asus boards use the same NEC chip.

If anyone has any ideas id love to hear them.

thanks

Nope. I don't think I've upgraded to the new kernel. My system profiler has iMac 8,1. I think there were performance issues with the other identifiers except the MacBook pro one.

Also which identifier would be best to use for the asus.

Thanks. I installed windows 7 as the best test on a separate disk to test the USB ports. And...I think its my board (or its the mini-itx board in general)...

I ran out and got a powered USB 3.0 drive so there was no issue relating to the power. Still no dice in Windows 7. Tried every possible driver version of the NEC (1.0.18/9, 2.0.34, 2.0.4, etc.). Tried turning on/off the 3.0 controller in the BIOS. Tried all possible combos under USB. Even reset my RTC. No matter what I do, windows keeps giving me the message my device can perform faster if connected to high speed 3.0 port or whatever it says.

Even tried taking out my graphics card since the USB 3 shares the PCI bus and just running on the IGPU. Nope.

I really hope its my specific board or if it is the board, then hopefully a BIOS update can fix it.

Was about too but then i found the answer!

I found the answer and i believe it has an impact for all boards using the NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 chip. Turns out when you change the BLCK/PEG frequency to more than 100hz, the NEC chip seem's to not be working well, enough that it does not recognize the USB 3.0 Disk as USB 3.0, it recognizes them as USB 2.0. I never even noticed the PEG because I had my AI Overclock Tuner set to Auto. But if you set to Manual, you will see the option the adjust the frequency. I made mine 100 and BOOM. I now get USB 3.0 speeds: Write/Read 133 Mb/s.

Everything is now working great on this board except the known PM/Sleep issues.