Asus P8P67 Pro install guide

Guest ^Andy^

663 posts in this topic

After spending a lot of time getting my new Sandy Bridge build up and running I thought I may be able to save some of you a lot of grief and share what I have so far.

I have created a boot cd that should work perfectly for a P8P67 Pro although it may also work for other Sandy Bridge motherboards.

What you will need..

1 - My freshly prepared boot CD AndyBoot CD Image

2 - The mach_kernel from the 2011 macbook pro 2011 Macbook pro kernel

Burn the AndyBoot.iso file to a cd and have your Snow Leopard Install DVD at the ready..

Installation steps.

1 - Boot from your newly burnt AndyBoot CD

2 - Swap the boot CD for your Installation DVD or USB Boot Drive, wait a few minutes then press F5

3 - Select your install DVD or USB drive and hit return (no kernel flags should be required)

4 - Go through the usual installation routine

5 - Once install is complete reboot using the boot CD

6 - Hopefully you are now at the desktop with a working internet connection so go ahead and install all available OS X updates and reboot using the boot CD.

7 - Back at the desktop (hopefully) with an up to date system you can now browse the boot CD in the Extras Folder you will find a 'Post Install' folder containing [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url], An ATI Graphics Update and a new kext for the AL892 audio chipset. Run [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and select the following options..

8 - copy the mach_kernel that you downloaded to the root of your Snow Leopard boot drive.

9 - Reboot again - this time you shouldn't need the boot CD

10 - Once back at the desktop return to the Extras/Post Install folder and install the newer ALC892Enabler.pkg for better sound support.

11 - If you use a recent ATI graphics card run the ATI Graphics Update package from the extra/post install folder

12 - Reboot and hopefully you are done!

Ok I decided that was all far too complicated so now it's even simpler.

1 - Download the bootcd

2 - Boot from it

3 - Install Snow Leopard from DVD or USB Installation media

4 - Reboot using the bootcd

5 - Install 10.6.7 update combo (if you forgot to download it first no problem, just run the install package from the cd and reboot to get a working internet connection then go ahead and download it).

6 - Once the update is complete reboot again using the bootcd

7 - Open the bootcd, copy the installer package to your desktop and then run it (it's important to copy the installer to disk and not run it from the cd otherwise your sound will not work - this a bug in the postinstall script that I haven't been able to track down yet.

8 - Reboot without the bootcd.

Job done and everything should be working :(

The package will install the new kernel, the sandy bridge friendly chameleon boot loader and all of the relevant kext's for this motherboard. Additionally it installs all of the new ATI kexts providing native 5800 and 6800 support.

I have tested the bootcd pretty extensively by formatting my own Snow Leopard install and rebuilding it from scratch using only this bootcd and the original snow leopard install DVD so I am pretty confident that it works.

Enjoy and please feel free to provide feedback.

Andy.

Hmm what do i need to disable in the bios? Im getting an kernel panic about an acpi driver, but i have already disabled acpi.

Hmm what do i need to disable in the bios? Im getting an kernel panic about an acpi driver, but i have already disabled acpi.

Don't disable acpi in your bios!

You shouldn't have to disable anything other than EIST if you want to overclock. Other than that just be sure that you have your hard drives set to AHCI and you should be good to go.

Once you boot off the disc and you see andys boot cd. Switch to your snow leopard disc and hit refresh it'll show mac osx install then hit enter.

Once you boot off the disc and you see andys boot cd. Switch to your snow leopard disc and hit refresh it'll show mac osx install then hit enter.

Like the man says - after the boot cd loads, swap the cd for the install dvd, wait a few minutes then press f5 to refresh.

Also make sure you are using the latest version of the boot cd (version 4) http://www.mediafire.com/?u6m909dn4h0p7cv

Hi

I have the following

Asus P8P67 B3 3.0 (plain not pro)

16 GB RAM - G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

boot SSD - 120GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD

data HDD - Spinpoint F3 1TB

GPU - XFX Radeon HD 6870 1024MB

And have installed 10.6.7 using your wonderful AndyBootCD4

I then install the ATI package from the boot CD

Everything went smoothly and I only installed the

Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx Driver for the Ethernet

(For some reason [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] was refusing to get installed).

Now I face the following problem: From time to time when using the machine on 10.6.7

the machine just reboots randomly. And I do not get any KP. The screen just goes black

and get rebooted. On  system.log I do not see any weird message.

I tried to monitor the temperatures through the istat but it seems that the motherboard is not

supported.

Do you have any idea on what I may try?

Thanks in advance!!!!

PS: I see in other posts a lot of discussion of sleepenabler. Does the bootcd has the required kexts for this?

Thanks again.

Solid work. This was the easiest Hackintosh to date because of this thread.

I have one "issue" I am trying to resolve. Is there a solution to get rid of the speaker hiss? Are new drivers available? If it's somewhere in this thread I missed it.

This is my only problem.. Everything else is 100%.

Thanks.

I just built this system.

Asus P8P67 Pro

Core i7 2600k 3.4ghz

16GB Corsair Vengence 1600mhz

500gb WD Blue Sata3 7200rpm

Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1 GB

Corsair 650W PSU

LG WH12S30 Blu ray Burner

NZXT H2

Everything seems to be working fine, i can look at the BIOS and everything is as it should be, but i have tried your Andy's Boot CD 4.0 and the one you have just posted and i always get

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

I have it set to boot from cd first and i have tried switching sata from ahci to ide as was suggested elsewhere, but still no go. Please help!

"Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

I have it set to boot from cd first and i have tried switching sata from ahci to ide as was suggested elsewhere, but still no go. Please help!

Have you enabled the SATA controller and oprom for the connector that you have the dvd drive connected to?

PS: I see in other posts a lot of discussion of sleepenabler. Does the bootcd has the required kexts for this?

No, I didn't include the sleepenabler because it didn't work for me and I don't like to package up anything that I can't verify.

Have you enabled the SATA controller and oprom for the connector that you have the dvd drive connected to?

I just didnt burn the image correctly. Install went smoothly, but no sound or bluetooth. Also cant boot without your disk... and yes i installed the P8P67 Pro package from the hard drive. HELP!

Hello Andy, first of all, thank you for the andyboot cd, I have finally managed to get my hackintosh working in a p8p67 LE motherboard.

I'm only having an issue, which is that the hdd makes a noise (as in old hdd's) when it's seeking. At first thought it was an issue of the hdd itself, despite it was brand new, so I reinstalled everything in a different hdd that I knew for sure it's ok, since it was the one being used in my other computer.. but I have the same issue going on here.

Drives are working... but it's quite annoying to hear that, knowing that they shouldn't be doing it.

Any advice? anybody has run into this too?

Hi, first of all.. Andy, thanks for the boot cd!!

I am having this very same issue.. with the same motherboard p8p67LE.

Haven't tried installing windows yet to see if it's a system issue.

The noise is killing me, I have 3 hdd that are quite new, and even bought another one today thinking they could all be messed up, but even this one is making that noise. Also have the feeling they are being slow down, I moved up from a core2duo system and can't notice any speed / boot improvement at all. Both the old and new systems have 4gb of ram...

Hope somebody can help us with this... definetely don't want to go back to the old system.

Hello, I have a P8P67 LE and I got Snow Leopard to install fine. After that I copied the files to the desktop and installed the update. I then went to reboot and after I select my HDD with SL on it, it hangs. I see an Apple logo and a loading icon below it and that is all. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Well, the 10.6.8 update chucked a KP at the end, but the system rebooted into 10.6.8 regardless. I re-ran the combo update to be sure nothing got jacked up and it ran fine the second time. Unfortunately my Radeon 5870 Eyefinity 6 2GB is now being recognized as a Radeon HD 5000. Time to get to work on this and see if I can get it back to its former glory.

Well, the 10.6.8 update chucked a KP at the end, but the system rebooted into 10.6.8 regardless. I re-ran the combo update to be sure nothing got jacked up and it ran fine the second time. Unfortunately my Radeon 5870 Eyefinity 6 2GB is now being recognized as a Radeon HD 5000. Time to get to work on this and see if I can get it back to its former glory.

Bah, the display port is picking up @ 2560X1440 like it should but that port will not display anything at all no matter what I try... looks like a graphics rollback is in order. Any suggestions?

post-301552-1308885972_thumb.png

Is it possible to install using this method using the 10.6.8 method instead? I'm already on 10.6.7, will I be able to run the 10.6.8 combo update and run the package immediately after or would a fresh install be necessary?

I think there isn't any problem. I just updated from 10.6.7 and it works correctly. Maybe it's better starting with the latest combo because updating is a pain in the ass.

Is it possible to install using this method using the 10.6.8 method instead? I'm already on 10.6.7, will I be able to run the 10.6.8 combo update and run the package immediately after or would a fresh install be necessary?

I have built a new set of packages for 10.6.8 along with version 5 of my boot cd.

Packages

P8P67Pro V5.0 http://www.mediafire.com/?zw6tm54qwmm2cw4

P8P67 V5.0 http://www.mediafire.com/?1bnza3a8vg1vg9j

Boot CD

AndyBoot V5.0 http://www.mediafire.com/?6lasyx8ojnpu72j

The boot cd contains both of the packages listed above so if you download the boot cd you don't need to download the packages.

Important - These packages were created specifically for use with 10.6.8 or Lion (yes they work with Lion too) and as such they no longer install either the ATI drivers or the mach_kernel (neither are needed with 10.6.8 or Lion as they both contain newer versions of both).

If you want to use these packages with 10.6.7 or earlier then you will need to install a sandybridge compatible mach_kernel (you can use pacifist to extract it from the 10.6.8 combo update or use the one on the boot cd) otherwise you will not be able to boot from your hard disk.

Install method using boot cd 5

If installing from scratch be sure to download the 10.6.8 combo update to another drive or memory stick first.

1 - Boot from the boot cd, swapping the cd for the os x install dvd when the loader menu shows

2 - Wait a few minutes and press f5 then use the cursor keys to select the os x install dvd if it isn't auto selected

3 - Once the install is complete run disk utility to repair permissions and proceed to install the 10.6.8 combo update - I've had the 10.6.8 update fail a few times near the end - hopefully running permission repair before installing will avoid this. If it does crash you will need to boot up from another install and run the update from that install changing the install location to the bodged one - that will fix it.

4 - Once you have completed the update to 10.6.8 reboot again using the boot cd

5 - Install the package relevant to your motherboard from the boot cd - ie P8P67Pro package for the Pro or P8P67 package for the non pro.

6 - reboot and hopefully enjoy 10.6.8

Whats changed since version 4?

The boot cd uses a newer chameleon build,

The packages no longer install the mach_kernel or ATI drivers - neither are necessary for 10.6.8 or Lion,

The packages now install ShowAllFiles, Pacifist, Kext Utilty and Carbon Copy Cloner applications along with British Keyboard Layouts (you can select the keyboard layouts via Language and Text from the preferences panel).

The packages will fix audio in 10.6.8 or Lion by rolling back the AppleHDA kext.

The packages will backup your current com.apple.Boot.plist and DSDT.aml files if present and replace them with new ones.

Please NOTE - By default GraphicsEnabler is set to No in the com.apple.Boot.plist that the package installs to the Extra folder so you may want to edit this and set it to Yes if you have a supported graphics card.

Andy.

I have built a new set of packages for 10.6.8 along with version 5 of my boot cd.

Packages

P8P67Pro V5.0 http://www.mediafire.com/?zw6tm54qwmm2cw4

P8P67 V5.0 http://www.mediafire.com/?1bnza3a8vg1vg9j

Boot CD

AndyBoot V5.0 http://www.mediafire.com/?6lasyx8ojnpu72j

The boot cd contains both of the packages listed above so if you download the boot cd you don't need to download the packages.

Important - These packages were created specifically for use with 10.6.8 or Lion (yes they work with Lion too) and as such they no longer install either the ATI drivers or the mach_kernel (neither are needed with 10.6.8 or Lion as they both contain newer versions of both).

If you want to use these packages with 10.6.7 or earlier then you will need to install a sandybridge compatible mach_kernel (you can use pacifist to extract it from the 10.6.8 combo update or use the one on the boot cd) otherwise you will not be able to boot from your hard disk.

Install method using boot cd 5

If installing from scratch be sure to download the 10.6.8 combo update to another drive or memory stick first.

1 - Boot from the boot cd, swapping the cd for the os x install dvd when the loader menu shows

2 - Wait a few minutes and press f5 then use the cursor keys to select the os x install dvd if it isn't auto selected

3 - Once the install is complete run disk utility to repair permissions and proceed to install the 10.6.8 combo update - I've had the 10.6.8 update fail a few times near the end - hopefully running permission repair before installing will avoid this. If it does crash you will need to boot up from another install and run the update from that install changing the install location to the bodged one - that will fix it.

4 - Once you have completed the update to 10.6.8 reboot again using the boot cd

5 - Install the package relevant to your motherboard from the boot cd - ie P8P67Pro package for the Pro or P8P67 package for the non pro.

6 - reboot and hopefully enjoy 10.6.8

Whats changed since version 4?

The boot cd uses a newer chameleon build,

The packages no longer install the mach_kernel or ATI drivers - neither are necessary for 10.6.8 or Lion,

The packages now install ShowAllFiles, Pacifist, Kext Utilty and Carbon Copy Cloner applications along with British Keyboard Layouts (you can select the keyboard layouts via Language and Text from the preferences panel).

The packages will fix audio in 10.6.8 or Lion by rolling back the AppleHDA kext.

The packages will backup your current com.apple.Boot.plist and DSDT.aml files if present and replace them with new ones.

Please NOTE - By default GraphicsEnabler is set to No in the com.apple.Boot.plist that the package installs to the Extra folder so you may want to edit this and set it to Yes if you have a supported graphics card.

Andy.

Hi i can't get the sound to work, i had sound working before applying the new update for lion dp4. Now i cant get sound working in any way... I have no sound assertions so its not that. I have a p8p67 pro. I have tried your new package but no difference. It would be fun to know what kexts apple replaced in the new update.

Hi i can't get the sound to work, i had sound working before applying the new update for lion dp4. Now i cant get sound working in any way... I have no sound assertions so its not that. I have a p8p67 pro. I have tried your new package but no difference. It would be fun to know what kexts apple replaced in the new update.

If you have already tried repairing the audio then its likely that you are in a bit of a mess.

Are any of your audio kexts installed in Extra/Extensions? because the new package only installs to System/Library/Extensions so if you have them in Extra/Extensions it will likely conflict.

What I would do in your position is delete the audio kexts completely (ALC892HDA51B.kext, AppleHDA.kext and HDAEnabler892.kext) from Extra/Extensions (if used) and System/Library/Extensions - run kext utility to do a full repair, reboot and then run the package again to replace them correctly.

Hmm, i tried the andyboot today and im now getting another kernel panic. With the error "cpu caller Should have 5 threads, but only found 4 for Die....................."

What could be the problem? BTW im using an usb stick to it install it from.

Edit:Got it working now. To make things clear. Install Snow Leopard via Andy's bootcd and after installation install the 10.6.7 combo update. It gonna ask for a reboot. Choose reboot and boot with the bootcd and highlight the "Mac HD", type in "-v EnableGraphics" and press enter. When OSX is booted, install the driver package corresponding to you motherboard type(mine is a P8P67 B3) so i installed the P8P67 package. After installation you probly need to reboot, and repeat the steps about graphicsenabler again. Then copy the mach_kernel from the Preboot image to the root of your mac disk and edit /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist with a text editor. I'll prefer nano(make sure to do this with sudo so the command looks like this "sudo nano /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist". Look for the GraphicsEnabler section and change No to Yes and save. Mine com.apple.boot.plist looks like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs$
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	 <key>Kernel</key>
	 <string>mach_kernel</string>
	 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
	 <string></string>
	 <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
	 <string>Yes</string>
	 <key>Timeout</key>
	 <string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I hope this helped for somebody. At least it worked for me :)

I'm trying to install OS X SL since a few days via AndyBoot4 cd, but without luck for now. Install runs fine but after the combo update 10.6.7 it just gets stuck a the grey apple logo on boot and with combo update 10.6.8 it gets a KP at 80% of the update process which kills the system in all.

I have a Asus Sabertooth P67 Rev. 3, which one of the install packages would fit my board the most, P8P67Pro V5.0, P8P67 V5.0 or I'm in the total wrong thread here?

Any help much appreciated!