Asus P8P67 Pro install guide

Guest ^Andy^

663 posts in this topic

hahahah, stupid me >_<

Not your fault, I had a run in with a power crazed moderator a few months ago and in a temper tantrum he deleted my original forum account so now I can't update the initial post to reflect any changes or new releases.

You should be able to use the latest Chameleon RC5 or nothing at all even. Doesn't the 6850 work the same way the 6870 with stock SL kexts?

I had 10.6.7 working perfectly. Then I updated to 10.6.8. I then installed Andy's P8P67Pro v5 package. After that I'm only getting 1280 X 800 max video display. Anybody have other suggestions ?

I had 10.6.7 working perfectly. Then I updated to 10.6.8. I then installed Andy's P8P67Pro v5 package. After that I'm only getting 1280 X 800 max video display. Anybody have other suggestions ?

Did you read the part about GraphicsEnabler???

Hey Andy, I was wondering, will this tutorial work with my P8P67 LE and i5 2500k? I want to dual boot windows and Mac OS X Lion on the same internal HDD. I have 1TB Black Carpio (Western Digital HDD)

Thanks so much,

Mosh

Hi,

I have a XFX Radeon HD 6870

and would like to connect a second monitor (DVI port).

I have seen in this forum that in order to do this you need to

change the GraphicsEnabler to No.

My understanding is by doing this you effectively disabling acceleration on the graphics card?

or not?

Thanks!

Andy, or anyone else who can help, would appreciate some help with my problem.

After having some Lion issues, I had reinstalled 10.6.8 and was fine for about a week, after which it refused to boot (stuck on the apple logo screen). After restarting multiple times and trying other boot options, it stopped booting into the bootloader itself (boot0 error). Looked this up and tried Fdisk to fix this without any luck, so decided to reinstall. Now I am unable to install the combo update 10.6.8. Tried it 3 times but it keeps going into kernel panic.

Do I need to install 10.6.7 first and then upgrade to 10.6.8? Which package can I use while installing 10.6.7 - the Sabertooth one says to use after 10.6.8 or Lion. If I install the Sabertooth package on 10.6.7, then this results in a non bootable system as well. (as a note, even while first installing 10.6.7 and then running the combo update for 10.6.8, I still got the Kernel panic halfway through installing, however, I was able to restart and run it again successfully - is this normal?)

In other news, I am also unable to restore the Mac during setup from my Time Machine backup, says it was created using a different Mac. Getting frustrated now! Please help!

Andy, or anyone else who can help, would appreciate some help with my problem.

After having some Lion issues, I had reinstalled 10.6.8 and was fine for about a week, after which it refused to boot (stuck on the apple logo screen). After restarting multiple times and trying other boot options, it stopped booting into the bootloader itself (boot0 error). Looked this up and tried Fdisk to fix this without any luck, so decided to reinstall. Now I am unable to install the combo update 10.6.8. Tried it 3 times but it keeps going into kernel panic.

Do I need to install 10.6.7 first and then upgrade to 10.6.8? Which package can I use while installing 10.6.7 - the Sabertooth one says to use after 10.6.8 or Lion. If I install the Sabertooth package on 10.6.7, then this results in a non bootable system as well. (as a note, even while first installing 10.6.7 and then running the combo update for 10.6.8, I still got the Kernel panic halfway through installing, however, I was able to restart and run it again successfully - is this normal?)

In other news, I am also unable to restore the Mac during setup from my Time Machine backup, says it was created using a different Mac. Getting frustrated now! Please help!

If you need to reinstall 10.6.7 use version 4 of the bootcd and try the pro package on that cd just to get a bootable system. Once its bootable you can try the sabertooth package from v5 cd but delete the extensions and extensions.mkext from your extra folder before running it (or rename them). That should get you back up and tunning on 10.6.7

At this point id use carbon copy and clone the install to a spare disk (or partition), boot from that disk and then run the 10.6.8 update combo but select your original (freshly installed) 10.6.7 install as the target.

Alternatively if you dont have a spare hard disk to clone to then once 10.6.7 is installed delete the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext from within the IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext plugins folder in System/Library/Extensions (note only delete the ACPI_SMC_platformPlugin.kext from within the other kext - do NOT delete the whole IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext), once done reboot and finally install the 10.6.8 update combo (it wont panic if that kext is removed).

P.S. - Good Luck!

If you need to reinstall 10.6.7 use version 4 of the bootcd and try the pro package on that cd just to get a bootable system. Once its bootable you can try the sabertooth package from v5 cd but delete the extensions and extensions.mkext from your extra folder before running it (or rename them). That should get you back up and tunning on 10.6.7

At this point id use carbon copy and clone the install to a spare disk (or partition), boot from that disk and then run the 10.6.8 update combo but select your original (freshly installed) 10.6.7 install as the target.

Alternatively if you dont have a spare hard disk to clone to then once 10.6.7 is installed delete the ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin.kext from within the IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext plugins folder in System/Library/Extensions (note only delete the ACPI_SMC_platformPlugin.kext from within the other kext - do NOT delete the whole IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext), once done reboot and finally install the 10.6.8 update combo (it wont panic if that kext is removed).

P.S. - Good Luck!

Thanks Andy, will give it a shot!

EDIT: Does anyone know if I can clone my system disk using CCC on to an external USB drive? Tried it and it does not seem to be bootable. Not sure if external USB drives are not supported.

Anyone have issues with their LAN?

I updated to 10.6.7 from retail 10.6.0 and have everything else working.

Nothing shows up after I run [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url], install manually using Kext Utility or by running the pro package files.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Hi All,

Used Andyboot v5 yesterday for a fresh install of SL and 10.6.8 update.

I did remove the ACPI_SMC_platformPlugin.kext in IOPlatformPluginFamily.kext but I got the KP anyway at the end of the update.

Restarted once, the computer restarted again by itself during boot process and it went to the desktop where I could confirm 10.6.8 was successfully installed !

Run P8P67 PRO package, set Graphics Enabler to "Yes" and install Trim Enabler for my SSD.

I did try the "competitor" [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]+[url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] method also but I could not get the system to be stable, with or without DSDT.

The only thing is sleep is not working but I can live without it. I put the sleepenabler.kext in Extra/Extensions but I got KP at startup so I removed it.

And the graphic card name is not correct in system informations.

Everything else runs smoothly,

Geekbench 64bits scores at nearly 12.000 without overclocking,

Cinebench scores at nearly 40 frames for OpenGL and 7 for CPU score.

So a big THANK YOU to Andy for the boot cd which make it simple to get the system running.

One more thing is that I did the updates Apple recommends which include some fixes for 10.6.8 system. it worked but I did have sound anymore after that. Just re-run PRO package and sound came back ;)

Here is my build :

i7 2600K @3.4GHz (no overclock)

16Go Corsair Vengeance DDR3 @1600MHz

MSI R6870 Twin Frozr 1Go DDR5

128Go SSD Crucial M4 (+ 2To Caviar Black on its way)

Sony Optiarc DVD drive

PSU Corsair 750TX

Thanks again Andy for your support and the packages. I have lion installed perfectly. Not sure about sleep but I always turn it off. I just have a question for everybody. Besides the afterthemac USB wireless adapters what else is works on lion. I have a asus USB-n13 adapter but no support for lion. It does work on snow leopard. I would greatly appreciate anything somebody could add. Either alternatives or a way to get the one I have working on lion. As I don't want to spend $60 for a wireless adapter if I don't have to.

Hey Andy. I'm sure you've heard about the FaceTime issue on 10.7 lion. Well I'm also having the same problem on my install and have tried several methods to fix but none have been working? Any suggestions and does your FaceTime work on lion?

Hey Andy. I'm sure you've heard about the FaceTime issue on 10.7 lion. Well I'm also having the same problem on my install and have tried several methods to fix but none have been working? Any suggestions and does your FaceTime work on lion?

The solution appears to be clearing out the hosts file and leaving only the base entries, Have a read of this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/268049...45&tstart=0

The solution appears to be clearing out the hosts file and leaving only the base entries, Have a read of this https://discussions.apple.com/thread/268049...45&tstart=0

I think, it's the problem described in this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=263592

At the moment facetime runs only with Chameleon RC5 build 755. But they are working on it...

I'm going to buy a P8P67 in the next weeks for my new hackintosh.

I have a bootable Lion DVD created by my app store download.

When using andy's boot cd, am i going to get a fully working lion inclusive bluetooth, speedstepping and sleep? Or should I use some extra packages?

Thanks in advance! :)