[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

I dunno mate,

Now that Mammoth isn't here much anymore I'm close on given up on figuring this out.

I can't get anything to work with the ATI 5650 after installing the 10.6.7 combo update.

Just get a jumbled screen or when trying to install the ATI kexts and updating the boot file I get a kernel panic.

Not sure what to do.

Gutted.

Same problem here.

I succefully installed 10.6.3 using the mammoth guides and was able to reboot sereral times.

When I install the 10.6.7 combo update and reboot it wil get past chameleon but then the screen goes scrambled with grey, white and black squares. Even in safe mode and with busratio and cpus flags I cannot get back into OSX.

Laptop used: HP dv7 4050ed (WN813EA)

cpu: Intel i7 720QM

chipset: Intel Mobile HM55

ram: 6GB DDR3

gpu: Radeon Mobility HD5650

Somewhat off-topic, but ... apparently Apple is going to fully allow virtualization with Lion -- formerly it was only OSX Server. My hope with this is that this is the impetus needed for VMware to finally make some proper guest video drivers. (They had an experimental thing with Server, but I'm assuming since it wasn't going to bring them much/any money, they didn't spend any time trying to make it a polished experience)

I enjoyed running OSX on my dv8 for awhile, but ultimately not being able to use my memory card reader, wacky volume controls, and the inability to update without patched kernels annoyed me too much, so I went back to Win7. It also helped that I inherited a real (if tiny) 13" MacBook from a death in the family. Plus there are plenty of apps I need to run natively in Win7 -- stuff requiring native/fast 3D performance, mainly.

I'm stilling running OSX in VMware -- it's slow, certainly, but with a proper video driver, I would dedicate an entire harddrive to it. That would be the best of both worlds for me -- fully functioning hardware, all the Windows programs I've come to depend upon, and the ability to quickly get into OSX to do some programming when necessary. Someday...

Sorry, been busy ...

New patching kernel 10.6.8

mach_kernel_10.6.8

@Taptun :rolleyes:

Thanks Taptun - You're a Legend!

I'll download it right now! :thumbsup_anim:

Is there anything special we need to do with this? (Im currently using currently using the Taptun1067_Kernel in my chameleon bootup partition)

Thanks again :D

Thanks Taptun - You're a Legend!

I'll download it right now! :thumbsup_anim:

Is there anything special we need to do with this? (Im currently using currently using the Taptun1067_Kernel in my chameleon bootup partition)

Thanks again :D

Not at all.

Everything is as it was in 10.6.7

@Taptun :rolleyes:

Not at all.

@Taptun :thumbsup_anim:

Oh cool! :rolleyes:

Im relatively new to the hackintosh game, so this is my first "update" :D

Ive renamed it to "taptun1068_kernel" and put alongside my other taptun kernels on my Mac Partition.

Im guessing I just need to modify the com.apple.Boot.plist on my cham partition to point to the new taptun1068_kernel?

ie <string>taptun1068_kernel</string>

And reboot.

Once again, thanks very much Taptun!

Been waiting for your release very patiently :D

Sorry, been busy ...

mach_kernel_10.6.8

@Taptun :angel:

Hi Taptun , thank you so much for your time and for the new Kernel , after applying it to my system I got this KP , I was wondering if you could please help me to solve it .

any help will be appreciated . Thanks again

post-377047-1309745885_thumb.jpg

Hey,

Today I had another go at installing OS X 10.6.7 on my Dv7.

Install went fine but after i did the 10.6.7 combo update and changed to the other bootfile I got KP

I also used a modified boot file because I have a 5650m gpu. http://www.kexts.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1359

Any ideas?

Laptop used: HP dv7 4050ed (WN813EA)

cpu: Intel i7 720QM

chipset: Intel Mobile HM55

ram: 6GB DDR3

gpu: Radeon Mobility HD5650

post-822961-1309779890_thumb.jpg

Not at all.

@Taptun :D

Thx, Taptun- you rock!

Do you think you could post your kernel build method so others could share the kernel building work?

I was trying to build 10.6.8 from the xnu source and tools but couldn't get a working copy.

cheers!

Sorry, been busy ...

mach_kernel_10.6.8

@Taptun :)

Thanks for the kernel, Taptun ;) Working just fine here.

thanks for your great work .

the audio is breaked in 10.6.8 you are the only man that can fix it for hp user

thanks for your work

From what I have read... The AppleHDA.kext has bin updated. Some things have been changed, so the old method will not work right now. Its my understanding that its is now like the AppleHDA.kext from Lion, to get ready for the update.

As a workaround ... I made a copy of the already patched AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.7. Updated to 10.6.8, used Taptun's 10.6.8 kernel and the 10.6.7 AppleHDA.kext. Everything still workong fine. Make sure to backup the 10.6.8 AppleHDA.kext for future use ;)

Sorry, been busy ...

mach_kernel_10.6.8

@Taptun :D

Thanks so much Taptun for sharing this with us !!!!

:)

Hip, hip, Hurra !!!

would you apply it previosly or after applying the upgrade (I will wait till it's available at Apple Store)

Regards

Pbrena

-----------------------

HP DV7-3180us | Core i7-720QM 1.6GHz | nVidia GeForce GT 230M w/ 1024MB | 17" 1600x900 display + External Viewsonic VP2365wb 1920 x 1080 | 6GB RAM | 600GB HD | OS X 10.6.7 & Win7 Enterpr SP1 & Debian 6.0 (all in) 64bits

please, can anybody help me to install it on my laptop?? I don't understand....

EDIT:

What I exactyl want is:

One Hard Drive with

- Mac OSX (250GB)

- Windows 7 64 Bits (250GB)

All in the same hard drive, in partitions.

Now the status of my computer is NEW (with the factory installation)

Don't know how to start...

Thanks

EDIT2:

Ok, I'm following the first tutorial and I get stuck in the begining...

You will need a DSDT custom tailored for YOUR particular machine.

The DSDT library is empty :S How can I get one for my laptop?? Thanks

All,

I got Lion working on the laptop with the USB install method and every things works like a charm with the exception of sound and I have to use CPUS=1 and BUSRATIO=20 boot flags.

Anyone managed to get the sound working?

For unleashing the CPU we need a new kernel and I will patiently await for that as I am incapable of producing one :-)

Any insights are highly appreciated!

Should we open another topic at the LION forum?

I also have lion working, I too have to use cpus=1 and the stock mach_kernel. I can't get my atheros wifi card to work yet ( barely tried tbh ) and I haven't tested sound. I do know my graphics card works instantly as does my dsdt (though this may be because I am using my Cham partition which preboots some extensions and graphics settings etc)

I am also installing 10.6.8 and will report back with taptuns kernel and how I updated for others (I am updating straight from 10.6.6)

Update on install to 10.6.8

------------------------------

Backed up AppleHDA.kext from my macintosh hd extensions folder, Installed combo 10.6.8 update, force quit installer at end, copied taptuns 10.6.8 kernel to my machintosh HD, modified Cham boot.plist to point to the new kernel, restarted, no sound, replaced the new applehda with my backed up version, restarted, VOILA ;)

has anyone used vmware fusion with new 10.6.8 update? here all the time i launch a virtual machine it kernel-panics on vmx kext.

any clue?

thanks

The reason you're getting kernel panics is becaues you've not made sure your kernel is ONLY NAMED "mach_kernel" it musn't be named ANYTHING ELSE! :)

All,

I got Lion working on the laptop with the USB install method and every things works like a charm with the exception of sound and I have to use CPUS=1 and BUSRATIO=20 boot flags.

Anyone managed to get the sound working?

For unleashing the CPU we need a new kernel and I will patiently await for that as I am incapable of producing one :-)

Any insights are highly appreciated!

Should we open another topic at the LION forum?

Could you explain your method for installation of Lion,what kernel did you use.?

I tried to install ,but cant boot the install due to the same APIC error we encountered with initial builds of Snow.

How do we fix this lapic error on Hp laptops?And we should now start a new thread for lion as GM has arrived.

Thanks

Please advise

If you wish, here's a sound to 10.6.8

BUT .... still have in log warning ... :)

LayoutID - 7603 (in DSDT - 0xB3, 0x1D, 0x00, 0x00)

AppleHDA.kext.zip

@Taptun

Hello Taptun,

I changed to the new kernel after applying the 10.6.8 maintenance and it hangs at different points in the log with no KP, I will retry but any Ideas????

Regards,

HP DV7-3180us | Core i7-720QM 1.6GHz | nVidia GeForce GT 230M w/ 1024MB | 17" 1600x900 display + External Viewsonic VP2365wb 1920 x 1080 | 6GB RAM | 600GB HD | OS X 10.6.7 & Win7 Enterpr SP1 & Debian 6.0 (all in) 64bits

I've installed 10.6.3 and updated to 10.6.8 rolling back IOPCI and IOUSB kext and now i managed to get to the

desktop.

(I'm using old boot.plist with legacy_kernel if i try to use one of taptun's i can't get to desktop it freeze on "DSMOS has arrived")

Problems:

flag arch=x86_64 but it seems that it's 32 bit mode

must boot with maxmem=4096

audio and network not working

video not recognized

i've not installed [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] or dsdt patch or anything else

Do you know how to solve some of this problems?

did anybody tried to install Lion on any HP DV computer ? if so what was needed?

I have, follow for maldons guide, not everything is working, for example sound is not working.

But is OK for get a feeling how it would be :)

//Peter