[Guide] Mammoth Method v2.00 - HP DVx 10.6.x: Fast, Easy, Comprehensive Installation. /// NEW MAMMOTH BOOT CD for i5 & i3 \\\

Mammoth

1,567 posts in this topic

#1 It is true up to a point that we have a bad PM system. It is the same, often better than in other forums. You can store up to 50 messages, which should be enough for "ordinary" users.

However, if you have a genuine reason why you need more storage space (e.g. you are a dev), pm me or another administrator and we will see what can be done.

#2 That is absolutely true, there is nothing a user can do to solve InsanelyMac issues. Again, pm me or another administrator. However, since we introduced the quiz system, I can't see any good reason why you can't post everywhere.

Sorry Alessandro17,

I have been SO BUSY that I have had ZERO time to devote to this thread in the last month, so this is the reason I haven't replied or been able to update about this.

EVERYONE: Alessandro17 has been VERY kind and has increased my PM inbox size enough that it is NO LONGER A PROBLEM FOR ME. : ) Because of this, I was able to update the thread rules on the first page and remove the restriction of not sending me PMs. It is OK to do so now. : )

Once again, thank you Alessandro17 for being pro-active and taking care of this, and sorry I wasn't able to get back to you (or anyone) before now.

Hello Everyone,

If you read my previous post, you know I have been MIA as I am very busy now, so sorry for my absence. I wanted to take a QUICK moment to let you know something related to using Wi-Fi cards in our systems.

I know the instructions for modding HP BIOS files aren't working at the moment, and I DO plan on updating them so they WILL work; but that will require test and documentation time I just DON'T have at the moment. : (

So I want to share with you a workaround (which is actually better than modding your BIOS, but more difficult). On the old thread, I had posted a guide with the procedure for re-routing the DVx machine's internal antenna wires from the top Half size only Mini-PCI-e slot to the lower Full size Mini-PCI-e slot. This slot has NO BLACKLISTED Wi-Fi cards AND you can install either Full (or Half size PCI-e cards with a "Wifi Mini PCI-e Half Size to Full Size Bracket" you can get from eBay)!

post-81851-1304962792_thumb.jpg

Like I said, the procedure isn't for everyone, as it is a bit difficult, but for those who can do it, I feel it's the best solution. You never have to mod your BIOS and you can use ANY card you want. This IS what I'm using on my DV8.

So, I have added this guide to our new v2.00 thread in the GUIDES LIBRARY.

Here is a link to an eBay seller offering these brackets for only .99 US!:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wifi-Mini-PCI-E-Half-S...=item2a0e2c5afc

Thanks to Mammoth, I can now have my Hp dv6-2193el dual booting with Ubuntu and OSx86!! I really need it to use some pro audio applications that run both on linux and mac.

So I don't mind the network is not working (nor the ethernet port nor the wi-fi) and the integrated audio device is not working too, I just need the usb port, the firewire port and the full cores functionality.

One thing: I've seen there are no translations available for the guide, would you Mammoth like me to translate it in italian? I'd really like to give some help, and this is something I can do.

let me know :blink:

That would be awesome El_Felix! :)

Email me and I will email you editable copies of the guides.

im wondering if this method would work with any of this HP models :

HP G62 (b03SG)

HP ProBook 4520s (WT292EA)

Please read the thread rules.

(Hint: Signature) :)

Hello Mammoth & Everyone,

I installed using DVx and DV8 (no dsdt), but many things failed to work on my laptop. However, i gave a try to DV8 with dsdt on my laptop and followed the Mammoth's guide everything worked the way it was said in the guide.

Only things that are still not working are ...

. HP Webcam (0x0143 Bison cam) & buildn wireless (However, i'm using TP-Link WN321G without any problem)

My system score using Geekbench is 6540!

If i goto System Profile > PCI Cards

I don't have JMB38X driver installed

Also i need some help, Mammoth can you please help me out with this

when booting with -v

i get the following lines

warning: skipping personalities in blacklisted kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelMeromProfile

warning: skipping personalities in blacklisted kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelNehalemProfile

warning: skipping personalities in blacklisted kext com.apple.driver.AppleIntelPenrynProfile

What are these for? can you please please help me out with this. Thanks for all your hard work! I'm using your DV8 with dsdt.

Once again thanks for sharing and your hard work

(p.s: i using my machine since 2 days now without any problem or any kernel panic)

DV7 3080CA (VM197UA)

i7QM 720 1.6 GHz - 6GB ram - nVidia 230m - Bios F.1D A

Here is the info for my working web cam on my DV8:

HP Webcam:

Product ID: 0x03ba

Vendor ID: 0x0408 (Quanta Computer Inc.)

Version: 1.09

Serial Number: SN0001

Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: QCM

Location ID: 0x1d150000

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 98

The warnings are for CPUs that are not supported, and we all get those warnings. You can ignore them. :D

Hey

I have a DV7 4058ca (below)

I've already managed to install Snow Leopard 10.6.3 using your method and the Snow Leopard original DVD.

After the successfully install, almost everything works, but I cannot reboot or shut down because it will never boot again.

It only works on the first time.

I have tried almost everything possible and I keep getting errors no matter what

Sometimes I get stuck with the message "DSMOS has arrived"

I followed your guides step by step

Can you *please* help me?

Cheers from Brazil

Is your graphics working at the correct resolution? What are you using for DSDT?

Hy everybody and THANKS for this thread!!! :)

I'm going to install Snow Leo on my dv6-2153el , i printed all this guide and now I'm following its steps;

i've just created a clean dsdt using ubuntu 10.10 x64 (as the guide said), how can i Test it? can I proceed with the installation? the CLEAN DSDT i created is attached :)

can someone help me?

Thanks in advance!

All new members of this thread: Please read the THREAD RULES and post your signatures please. Thanks.

Try installing with the clean DSDT and see how far you get.

I sent Mammoth an email about this: if you update your installed version (to 10.6.7, and probably 10.6.6), then you can't use the MIID to boot into it anymore, without issues (like USB ports not working).

But if you boot into the "Mac OSX Install" on your MIID, you can run the same fdisk/dd commands to restore Chameleon on your Cham partition.

Yes, when I get some time, I'll have to look into this. :|

When are the neccissary packages and files needed to Hacintosh a 2011 dv6tQE completely? Considering you can make a $1000 model with antivirus and warranty to be better in every way than a jacked up 15 inch MBP for $1100 less I kind of see this as a win whether I get Mac on it or not.

Yes, this is the way to go. Just takes time to get everything working... which unfortunately I don't have at the moment. Maybe someone else can start creating some packages for everyone?

Some may know this already, but for those that don't Realtek finally put out a driver for OSX that works on 64bit. It comes with an installer that will replace the "AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext" inside the "IONetworkingFamily.kext" in S/L/E.

They added a bunch of NIC cards to it:

RTL8111B/RTL8168B/RTL8111/RTL8168

RTL8111C/RTL8111CP/RTL8111D(L)

RTL8168C/RTL8111DP/RTL8111E

RTL8168E

With this driver I get Gigibyte speeds on lan. :) With the "RealtekR1000SL.kext" the most I could achieve was 10 MB. I just installed this driver, deleted "RealtekR1000SL.kext" from extra folder and ran pfix. Good to go :(

You can download right from Realtek Here all the way at the bottom.

Awesome DGRX!

And for those who need a little help installing the new driver (which really works great!), look in the GENERAL FILES AND LINKS LIBRARY on the first page for a new .ZIP file with the driver and instructions on how to install it.

...Also just thought I'd share with you my (rather dodgey lol) cd image for any of you like me who like lightcribe or label printing:-) I've just read the start of the guide now and seems like everything has moved to usb (nice:-D) but I just made it and burnt my copy so thought I might as well share:-)

Enjoy anyone who wants lols:)

cya,

sct

Nice work Shef_City_Techno!

Thanks for creating this and sharing with everyone.

:)

Hi everyone!

It's the first time I post here, but I read about this method and I want to try it on my DV6-6030el.

I created a clean DSDT within Ubuntu, and tried to use it to install OSx, but my PC rebooted before entering the setup. I tried to use boot options like -x and/or -v but I couldn't get any error/panic log as the system keeped rebooting.

I tried to use AutoPatcher too, but I received an error before the end of the procedure so I couldn't use it either...

I attached an AIDA64Log and my clean DSDT (I used Autopatcher to extract a text version of the file created through Ubuntu) hoping you can help me.

Thanks in advance :)

Lino

AIDA64_Report_LQ111EA.txt

DSDT_CLEAN_LQ111EA.txt

ok, after long reading on hacbooks im sold to this mammoth project and gonna get a DV6.

before i buy it from HP, i would like to verify that this specfic model is suitable for osx installation.

HP Pavilion dv6-3101sg Entertainment Notebook (XE004EA)

HP Pavilion dv6-3103eg Entertainment Notebook (XE042EA)

i have no idea whats the difference between them, from the HP shop it seems that they are identical.

would be nice to hear from a user of these models before i go shopping.

thx

tt

ok, after long reading on hacbooks im sold to this mammoth project and gonna get a DV6.

before i buy it from HP, i would like to verify that this specfic model is suitable for osx installation.

HP Pavilion dv6-3101sg Entertainment Notebook (XE004EA)

HP Pavilion dv6-3103eg Entertainment Notebook (XE042EA)

i have no idea whats the difference between them, from the HP shop it seems that they are identical.

would be nice to hear from a user of these models before i go shopping.

thx

tt

I looked at both of these and also could not see a difference. You might want to contact HP and ask them about that.

If you can get one with an i7 CPU, they will work the easiest with OS X. Others seem to be getting things working with i3 and i5, but I have not been able to use one to test.

hello Mammoth,

thank you for your reply.

i have contacted hp to get the infos about the difference.

it seems like the i7 models are much more expansive than i3 and i5.

i thought i7 is older?

are the i7 models really so much easier to install?

hello Mammoth,

thank you for your reply.

i have contacted hp to get the infos about the difference.

it seems like the i7 models are much more expansive than i3 and i5.

i thought i7 is older?

are the i7 models really so much easier to install?

The i7 are much easier and they are more powerful than the i3 and i5. Think of them as BMW's: i3, i5, i7. :)

i just talked to a HP saleslady on the phone.

there are 2 options for i7 models:

HP Pavilion dv6-6001sg

http://h41112.www4.hp.com/promo/homelaptop...perience=direct

HP Pavilion dv7-6001sg

the dv7 is 17" and has a fast hdd, i think i would go for this one if you approve that its the right model.

thank you for the help Mammoth, thats much appreciated.

i just talked to a HP saleslady on the phone.

there are 2 options for i7 models:

HP Pavilion dv6-6001sg

HP Pavilion dv7-6001sg

the dv7 is 17" and has a fast hdd, i think i would go for this one if you approve that its the right model.

thank you for the help Mammoth, thats much appreciated.

Yes, I think the DV7 is your best choice.

Issues with OS X you may have are:

- Web cam may not work right away

- May need to replace Wi-Fi card for use under OS X (about $20US on eBay)

- Getting video to work right

This is the newer model, so some work and time will be needed to get everything working under OS X. So as long as you are patient, you should eventually be able to get it all working.

:P

Awesome DGRX!

And for those who need a little help installing the new driver (which really works great!), look in the GENERAL FILES AND LINKS LIBRARY on the first page for a new .ZIP file with the driver and instructions on how to install it.

Nice work Shef_City_Techno!

Thanks for creating this and sharing with everyone.

:P

Hey everyone,

This may be interesting to some: There IS a RealTek LAN driver included in the IONetworkingFamily.kext that comes with OS X 10.6.7. You can see it by right clicking on IONetworkingFamily.kext (in /System/Library/Extensions/) and selecting "Show Package Contents", then click on Contents, PlugIns. It has the same exact name as RealTek's .kext, AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext (but the version numbers ARE different).

Interestingly, my DV8 machine does NOT recognise this driver, however my two Gigabyte desktops do. Maybe it will work for your machine and if so, you wouldn't need a networking .kext in /C/E/E/.

As an experiment, I made a back-up copy of the one in IONetworkingFamily.kext, then replaced it with the one from RealTek, and then my machine sees it. Again, this was just an experiment, as I do NOT recommend making changes to original Apple files (unless necessary), and it's easier to work with 3rd party kext files in /Cham/Extra/Extensions/ anyway.

Thank you mammoth and all others.

I was looking for install Ideneb or Iatkos in my DV6 and I was scared, but now I found this forum, and I´m decided to run OSX in my laptop.

My laptop is DV6-1315.

HP Product #: VS051EA.

CPU: Pentium T4400 2.2Ghz

Video: Ati HD4530

Wifi: Broadcom ¿BCM43XX?

For me it´s very important that the Wifi works.

Any help for start with this model??

Thanks

my machine

dv6-6001sg

i7-2630qm

ati 6770m 1gb (0x1002)

4gb ram

hm65

own dsdt (huge Thx to maldon :wacko:

hi,

i used DVx MIIF and after 10.6.3 installation + update to 10.6.7 + audio patch (secure image, OFF)

the screen stays black and doesnt boot

-can anyone help, maybe with a chameleon start command hint ?

-should i activate the atiRom string or disable the GraphicsEnabler String in the boot.plist ?

>> with Wait=Yes, at chamelon start, the last command is "Starting Darwin x86_64" & i386 32bit boot.plist also doesnt start

-is there maybe, a ati framebuffer, ati6xxx.kext vendor id problem ?

my machine

dv6-6001sg

i7-2630qm

ati 6770m 1gb (0x1002)

4gb ram

hm65

own dsdt (huge Thx to maldon :D

hi,

i used DVx MIIF and after 10.6.3 installation + update to 10.6.7 + audio patch (secure image, OFF)

the screen stays black and doesnt boot

-can anyone help, maybe with a chameleon start command hint ?

-should i activate the atiRom string or disable the GraphicsEnabler String in the boot.plist ?

>> with Wait=Yes, at chamelon start, the last command is "Starting Darwin x86_64" & i386 32bit boot.plist also doesnt start

-is there maybe, a ati framebuffer, ati6xxx.kext vendor id problem ?

Hey Roger, can you please attach your DSDT? My notebook is very similar to yours but I couldn't find a working DSDT and my clean one didn't work :)

Thanks in advance :D

Thanks Mammoth & all others team for your nice efforts :-)

1.15 worked for me like a charm. thanks you man :-)

I tried this one with a clean installation without DSDT.

I did exact what was in Instruction & updated to 10.6.7

Everything works fine & fast except:

WiFi, LAN , Sound & 2 USB ports in left side. (I didn't try Card reader yet)

When I installed RealtekR1000SL, BT doesn't work anymore.

I have also an External sound (EMU 0404) that it should run in x86 mode only.

(Should I use i386 only? :-( )

any suggestion, help for fully works? :-(

Tnx in advance. :-)

Hey Roger, can you please attach your DSDT? My notebook is very similar to yours but I couldn't find a working DSDT and my clean one didn't work :(

Thanks in advance ;)

sure. you r welcome.

here is how i made it (terminal, extreme long command)

and the dsdt as well.

DSDT build

between, fyi, my ati 6770m 1gb is 0x1002_6740, vendor

----------------------------

in general, for all of you HP DV6-6xxx Fighters, dont give up, READ this !

FYI

here is a kind of "solution" how some guys were succeful with their osx on HP DV6-6xxx

please read this thread carefully if you want, hope you guys will be succeful too, wish you the best / im gonna try it on monday, too:

First HP DV6-6xxx OS X Solution, i know

all credits and thx go out to the HP DV6-6xxx "neverGiveUp-pers" like ninditsu / KLN / tazzix and everyone i forgot :boxing:

in general,

HP DV6-6xxx

FYI

here is a "solution" how some guys were succeful with their osx on HP DV6-6xxx

please read this thread carefully if you want, hope you guys will be succeful too, with you the best:

First HP DV6-6xxx OS X Solution, i know

hey referencing my thread! woot. ya that works for people that have switchable graphics between intel and ati. follow that link to learn more

Mammoth, I've sent an email to you to receive the file to translate, but I've received any reply.

I'm giving my address to you here, so you can write to me: emiliano.felicissimo@gmail.com

or ou can even send me a PM, as you wish.

bye,

el Felix

Once again, thank you Alessandro17 for being pro-active and taking care of this, and sorry I wasn't able to get back to you (or anyone) before now.

You are more than welcome :)

Thank you for updating the thread.

Every person who genuinely wants to help (and every genuine user) will always be welcome with any query.

Mammoth, I've sent an email to you to receive the file to translate, but I've received any reply.

I'm giving my address to you here, so you can write to me: emiliano.felicissimo@gmail.com

or ou can even send me a PM, as you wish.

bye,

el Felix

Hello El Felix,

Yes, sorry. I got your email and will be sending to you. I want to make a few corrections and updates first though, so hang tight and I'll get them to you once updated.

Thanks!

Hey Mald0n,

Im new here and i need some help with my DSDT, i installed OSX 10.6.7 on my HP DV7-3180us and i have everything working besides sound, i tried patching and modifying my DSDT but i have no clue what im doing. I have a IDT 92HD75B3X5 audio controller and ive attached my dsdt from Ubuntu. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

dsdt.aml.zip