ATI Radeon 6xxx, working QE/CI

Nuphor

791 posts in this topic

I get the same results on SL and Lion. Some frambuffers default to Radeon and show half the screen

with distored colors, but it is readable. Others framebuffers show colored bars, almost like a old CRT sync

problem. I followed a thread on TonyMacx86 that describes the proceedure for editing and compling

Chameleon source to modify the boot file.

http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=119&t=19330

Would LOVE to get this working

Guys you really need to give a hint at which gpu's you are using - seriously it's a real pain in the knackers to have to keep slugging back through the posts just to find out which cards you have that are causing problems.

That said I don't have much advice to offer other than go through each framebuffer in turn and try something like DisplayConfigX to force the EDID to match your monitor.

One other bit of advice I will offer is if/when you do find a resolution to the problem please post it here - the guys running this forum won't claim your solution as their own, won't add it to a boot cd that they are pushing or even ask for cash donations for it!

Guys you really need to give a hint at which gpu's you are using - seriously it's a real pain in the knackers to have to keep slugging back through the posts just to find out which cards you have that are causing problems.

Alright, sorry, we're talking about the Mobility 6650 that's often used in Acer 7750G and some Packard Bell laptops.

Alright, sorry, we're talking about the Mobility 6650 that's often used in Acer 7750G and some Packard Bell laptops.

If the cards id's have been added to the ati.c in chameleon as mentioned by pemtahex and using graphicsenabler=y gives a display of any sort other than white screen, blue screen or black screen (first smart arse to say no screen gets a fat lip) then it looks like an EDID issue so try something like DisplayConfigX and force your display settings - as always no guarantees!

It's quite easy to compile Chameleon. Download sources and run make from terminal. To do this you will need Xcode. Edit ati.c to add a framebuffer for the 6650M which is currently set to null. Then you can choose a framebuffer at startup using GraphicsEnabler and AtiConfig. The good news is that you don't have to do it , because I already did. Just install this to your boot partition and you should be good to go. This is from the Chimera branch but should work fine.

I also hoped fixing the EDID would work, but so far it hasn't changed the results in anyway.

PS I'm not allowed to upload the file, but if you want I can email it to you. Thanks.

Hey guys,

first of all: awesome work.

To read that a lot people get an 'unsupported' GOU to work is awesome.

Unfortuanly, it doesn't work for me.

I've got a XFX HD 6870.

The problem is, that when I copied the ATI6000controller.kext to the /System/Library/Extensions and paste the entire folder into kext helper, with the reboot nothing happened.

So I decided to read through the thread.

Well, some people talk about to add the Device's ID to the kext.

Well, I actually don't know hos the layout should look like;

I mean <string>Device ID</string> <key>ID-number</key>

Help about this would be awesome.

Also I used some installer which autoinstalls everything for me.

The problem was, that after that installation was finished, I wasn't able to boot anymore.

After that I used my boot-CD and tried to boot with GraphicsEnabler=No, everything was fine, the resolution was {censored} and the GPU wasn't detected but I were on my SL.

I read that I have to enable the GraphicsEnabler.

So I did GraphicsEnabler=Yes and...

My Graphiccard decided to run it's cooler with 100% and to output no Video-signal...

So I stuck at this point, maybe someone can help.

Thanks in advance.

No idea??

I'm running a AMD Radeon HD 6870 (ASUS DirectCU http://usa.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/AMD_Ser...70_DC2DI2S1GD5/ ) and I've got 4 monitors, one DP, one connected with an active DP-DVI adapter and two connect on the DVI ports. This card isn't a reference HD 6870 and it doesn't have the HDMI port instead I've got two display ports and two dvi ports.

Now my dilemma is to get all 4 monitors working with a framebuffer. If I don't load a framebuffer and let it default to the RadeonBuffer all monitors work fine and I get picture on all of them but whenever I load a framebuffer (test all listed for HD 6xxx series) I can't get the top DVI-I port to work.

At first I though this was because my card weren't reference design but I decided to read through every post in this thread from page one to 29 (or 30 now) and so I did. After done so it seems like everyone have this problem, I'm unable to find any evidence that anyone have gotten the HD 6870 to work with 4 screens with a framebuffer so that DVD, Geekbench and such works. Is this right and if so is there anything I can do about it?

Currently I'm running without a framebuffer as I need 4 monitors but it's quite annoying that lots of games and some applications doesn't work. If there were a way to change framebuffer without restarting it would be fine for now at least as I could be without a monitor while running a game or such.

I've read that the framebuffers are mapped to the ports on the GPU, isn't it possible to create a new framebuffer mapped the same way as the default AtiFramebuffer so that all ports work? I don't care if I have to repatch every update if I can get it to work.

At this moment I'm running Lion.

Hi,

i have tried a Sapphire Radeon 6850 in my Q9550 Hackintosh (Gigabyte Board) and

faced some issues running Lion:

1. card was autotetect with no enabler etc nessesary. I like that because it is more vanilla

2. when doing very fast scrolling in text pages (like google search results) I get a garbled

screen. Scrolling slowly is fine. Problem exist in Safari and also in Preview viewing

a PDF file, as well in word processing. But this problem doesn't happen in Firefox.

3. Cinebench R10 GL Benchmark is approx 6500 Points with my old nvidia 8800GT, but only

4500 Points with the ATI 6850. (it seems to be CPU limited as while running the test

only one out of 4 cores has load, but that one has 100% load. Increasing the clock speed

of the CPU also increases the Cinebench result)

At the end the garbled screen makes it unusable for me. Anyone has the same problem or even a solution? May the card be defective? It is brand new, is and never was OC'd

Thanks

Stephan

Hi,

i have tried a Sapphire Radeon 6850 in my Q9550 Hackintosh (Gigabyte Board) and

faced some issues running Lion:

1. card was autotetect with no enabler etc nessesary. I like that because it is more vanilla

2. when doing very fast scrolling in text pages (like google search results) I get a garbled

screen. Scrolling slowly is fine. Problem exist in Safari and also in Preview viewing

a PDF file, as well in word processing. But this problem doesn't happen in Firefox.

3. Cinebench R10 GL Benchmark is approx 6500 Points with my old nvidia 8800GT, but only

4500 Points with the ATI 6850. (it seems to be CPU limited as while running the test

only one out of 4 cores has load, but that one has 100% load. Increasing the clock speed

of the CPU also increases the Cinebench result)

At the end the garbled screen makes it unusable for me. Anyone has the same problem or even a solution? May the card be defective? It is brand new, is and never was OC'd

Thanks

Stephan

Yeah I tend to get a garbled screen at bootup on two of my 4 monitors (one DisplayPort one HDMI connected with a DVI adapter) but it works if I change the resolution and then back again. Also I've gotten twice or so when playing a 1080p youtube video in the extra large mode in cosmic panda while draging around the browser windows fast between screens but then it've only affected the chromium windows.

I also have mine working fine...

But I also don't know if full acceleration is working. I need to try Cinebench. Two questions:

1) I did a search and found someone changed their SMBIOS.plist to a different Mac model, this got stepping to work better (2d/3d). What Mac model would have a 6000x series that I could try?

2) So, there's really no way to get at the fan speed like in Windows? Out of the box, this card's fan runs way too high for the temperature, so in Windows I use Afterburner to change the fan speed profile, but nothing like that exists for Mac?

maybe a clarification: when scrolling in safari, only safaris

window content is garbled, rest is fine. See the attached

file for an example. Moving safari around on the desktop

doesn't change anything, but as soon as another window

overlaps safari (only a little bit is enough) safaris display

returns to normal.

I did exchange the card against another one of the same make and kind,

and have the same probs, so i think i can rule out the 6850 card.

btw, i am lucky with the fan speed. It is less lound than my MSI geforce 8800

zilent.

regards,

Stephan

post-211456-1312321829_thumb.jpg

solution found:

when running on my nvidia 8800GT, i had enabled Quartz2d Extreme using the QuartzSimple tool

AKA quartz debug. It has always worked like a charm for me.

In LION, with the new ATI 6850 card, I had to disable Quartz2DExtreme to get rid of the screen

artifacts desribed above.

So I am a lucky man for now but still have to make my mind about what i loose when i cannot

use Quartz2DExtreme with the 6850 card. Maybe I should go back to the nvidia card?

I am not a gamer, at least not on the Hachintosh. Maybe it will be fixed / improved in the next update.

regards,

Stephan

one single detail that i found is:

in firefox, when you open the url about:support,

it tells you wether it uses GPU acceleration or not.

My other Hachintosh using a nvidia 8600 card does use acceleration

My MacBook Air has it enabled too

My Hackintosh with the ATI 6850 has GPU acceleration disabled.

I do not have the feeling that firefox is running "slow" or has any problems,

but i just found this specific details and was not able to have it showing

GPU Accelerated Windows 1/1.

Regards,

Stephan

one single detail that i found is:

in firefox, when you open the url about:support,

it tells you wether it uses GPU acceleration or not.

My other Hachintosh using a nvidia 8600 card does use acceleration

My MacBook Air has it enabled too

My Hackintosh with the ATI 6850 has GPU acceleration disabled.

I do not have the feeling that firefox is running "slow" or has any problems,

but i just found this specific details and was not able to have it showing

GPU Accelerated Windows 1/1.

Regards,

Stephan

Hi Stephan, I'm also facing artifacts issues: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=264941 is it the same problem for you?

Do you still have artifacts after disabling Quartz2DExtreme? And how do you do it?

Thank you ;)

Hi Thireus,

my artifact pattern look different. See some post above in this thread for a screenshot.

It happend within the safari window on heavy scrolling.

To disable Quartz2DeXtreme:

Install xcode, then go to utilities (i think, right now i have no mac at hand),

there is an utlity called quartz debug, i think it may be also named quartz simple,

that allows you to enable or disable Quartz2DExtreme via menu in Gui.

See here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...&pid=227749

In this thread also onsole comands for enabling / disabling are given.

regards,

Stephan

I have some questions regardning this. I have two HD6950's running in CF, and three displays connected. One DP, one DVI and one HDMI. Will i be able to run all three monitors? And set them up as i would like? The DP and HDMI are 1920x1080 and the DVI is 1650x1050. Also, I get my audio from the HDMI port. Will that work with 5.1 audio in OS X?

I have some questions regardning this. I have two HD6950's running in CF, and three displays connected. One DP, one DVI and one HDMI. Will i be able to run all three monitors? And set them up as i would like? The DP and HDMI are 1920x1080 and the DVI is 1650x1050. Also, I get my audio from the HDMI port. Will that work with 5.1 audio in OS X?

Cart Before the Horse 101

Audio isn't going to be your problem.

I just think they blatantly ignore when someone posts that the 69xx cards don't work properly at this time. Every time I come in Andy I told you I see the same thing =)

@ Stephan the nvidia cards have gpu acceleration within os x for some reason,  hasn't shown any gpu acceleration love to ati/amd cards