ATI Radeon 6xxx, working QE/CI

Nuphor

791 posts in this topic

I have read that in order for the 6950 to work you must restart the computer using a physical "reset" button. Is this the method that you used? I am trying to get mine to work, but unfortunately I do not have a reset button and evidently it is impossible to add one. So at the moment I am stuck, unless I can find a way to restart when it gets to the gray screen without a reset button.

Boot windows first then select 'restart'

Tried it. Doesn't work.

I'll try it again tonight, but I am almost 100% positive that this doesn't work.

It works for me because thats how I do it with my 6970 - I take it you do have the relevant kexts installed and are using lion?

It works for me because thats how I do it with my 6970 - I take it you do have the relevant kexts installed and are using lion?

Yes I actually used your installer package from netkas (post # 43). Although I am a little confused on which package to use. I decided to use the Native package as I do not know what you mean by "support in chameleon", but I have tried both. I am also on Lion, but I am not using 10.7.2 11C48 beta, as I thought all you needed was Lion and the kexts (or the installer package).

Yes I actually used your installer package from netkas (post # 43). Although I am a little confused on which package to use. I decided to use the Native package as I do not know what you mean by "support in chameleon", but I have tried both. I am also on Lion, but I am not using 10.7.2 11C48 beta, as I thought all you needed was Lion and the kexts (or the installer package).

You dont need 11c48 - the package will install the kexts from that build anyway. The only requirement really is that you are running lion.

The native package should work regardless of your chameleon build being 6900 series friendly or not (not many builds are that I know of other than ones that I have built myself or shared on here) so you have at least picked the right package.

You dont need 11c48 - the package will install the kexts from that build anyway. The only requirement really is that you are running lion.

The native package should work regardless of your chameleon build being 6900 series friendly or not (not many builds are that I know of other than ones that I have built myself or shared on here) so you have at least picked the right package.

Alright, well I will give it a try tonight. Would it make a difference if Windows is installed on a different HDD? Or that I have a couple of bootable backups of Snow Leo and Lion? I just always assumed no, but I figured I'd ask since I have your attention.

Alright, well I will give it a try tonight. Would it make a difference if Windows is installed on a different HDD? Or that I have a couple of bootable backups of Snow Leo and Lion? I just always assumed no, but I figured I'd ask since I have your attention.

Nope you just need to boot then reboot without killing the electrickery lol

Hey andy...

those id`s for ATI SAPPHIRE 6750 aren´t in aticontroller6000.kext and ati.c neither..... what is the next step??

Rafa, I've an ATI SHAPPIRE 6790

My device ID: 0x673e

Where I have to put the ID in aticontroller6000.kext ??? Here: ??

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x67681002 0x67701002 0x67791002 0x67601002 0x67611002 0x67501002 0x67581002 0x67591002 0x67401002 0x67411002 0x67451002 0x67381002 0x67391002 0x67201002 0x67221002 0x67181002 0x67191002 0x68401002 0x673e1002</string>

And, where's ati.c ??

Sorry I'm so begginer for this and I can't make works my card on SL 10.6.8 :)

Please, I'm going crazy. ;)

I have read every page of this thread and find no solution to run the SAPPHIRE HD6790 in my Snow Leopard. : (

With other cards I have not had many complications, but this can not get it to work, despite having been searching like crazy on this and other forums.

Please, I'd be really grateful if you could help me. Thank you very much in advance.

Please, I'm going crazy. ;)

I have read every page of this thread and find no solution to run the SAPPHIRE HD6790 in my Snow Leopard. : (

With other cards I have not had many complications, but this can not get it to work, despite having been searching like crazy on this and other forums.

Please, I'd be really grateful if you could help me. Thank you very much in advance.

Dear chimitron, :D

my english is very simple, but i have understand that in this thread

is no go for AMD 6950/6970 for Snow Leo, but for Lion!

Now everybody, is that right?

Greetings

Holzer ;)

Dear chimitron, :)

Greetings

Holzer :)

OMG!!!

Then I ask sincere apologies to the forum!

I spent last night reading the whole thread looking for someone who has been able to find the solution and I missed it did not work in SL.

I apologize and thanks for the tip.

Will update here if I get to run the card with Lion.

Dear chimitron, :unsure:

Greetings

Holzer ;)

chimitron talked not about 6950/6970 also, but about 6790.

To bad snow even lion does not support for 6790 yet, I'll change mine ( 6790 ) to another support card

chimitron talked not about 6950/6970 also, but about 6790.

To bad snow even lion does not support for 6790 yet, I'll change mine ( 6790 ) to another support card

Oh no! I have deleted the partition of Snow Leopard and now I'm installing it Lion ... : (

I understand that there is no way to run a SAPPHIRE HD 6790 AMD Snow Leopard or Lion, is it true?

Thanks in advance for any response.

Anyone can help me? I have a 6250, and my id is in the info.plist of ati6000.kext, but when i follow the instructions of andy, i'm stuck in the step of booting with -s, because i'm not able. This because i get a black screen, with no cursor and no text line for terminal :\ i've repaired the permissions by kext wizard, but nothing.

Another question, i must use also atisupport.kext and atiframebuffer.kext to make work my video card?

Thanks for replies, guys.

Gabriele.

Oh no! I have deleted the partition of Snow Leopard and now I'm installing it Lion ... : (

I understand that there is no way to run a SAPPHIRE HD 6790 AMD Snow Leopard or Lion, is it true?

Thanks in advance for any response.

After going crazy by thousands of tests and not get anything besides read in a thousand places the HD6790 is not supported in Lion, I will change my new HD6790 for a HD6850 and not complicate life more.

Next week we will publish the result of all this.

Regards

• 1 month later...

I understand that the 6790 may be currently not working on Lion, but if it is not working, is there not some way where we can request this to be implemented into the next release??? I currently also have a 6790 and would like to see this working! What can we do in order to make this happen??? I cannot believe that there is something technically wrong with this series of cards that inhibits it from working with Lion.

Please tell us what to do?!?!? I cannot just go out and exchange my 6790 for a card that is working!

I have to buy a new hack and want to go for the 6950, can someone suggest me the most compatible model? Just 1 requirement, it must have at least 1 mini display port (for use the iMac 27" in target mode)

thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Andy,

can you help me with Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2048mb?

I had Lion installed with HD 5870 perfectly on usb hd (installation by same usb hd, two partitions, first installation second destination) and now with HD 6970 I have this:

Sorry for my bad english

thanks

post-334495-0-12713600-1324290040_thumb.jpg

@ zavy I'd actually suggest that you get a 6870 (if you don't mind bumping it down a notch) because the 69xx series doesn't seem to have a future ahead of it in os x besides resolution changes with  already preparing for the 7xxx series. Most 6870's with display ports on them are able to output via the DP through the Duckweed framebuffer (has already been tested).

@alby64 As opposed to your 5870 which has full support under Lion, the 69x cards have never been "fully" supported in os x. I honestly don't see the reason for actually switching out the 5870 which has acceleration working for a higher end card that won't have acceleration and which will actually make the system perform worse than the previous card. Netkas has already posted his thoughts on the longevity of this series and it doesn't look all that promising at all.

http://netkas.org/?p=1030

PS:

I'm not the bringer of bad news, I'm just trying to save you time wasting and possible frustration.

• 1 month later...