ATI Radeon 6xxx, working QE/CI

Nuphor

791 posts in this topic

According to info over at netkas site sadly the 6970m is a 6970 in name only and appears to be some sort of mangled 6850 ;)

In that case we sit and wait for the new Mac Pro's to come out this summer – nobody wants to wait until Q4 LOL. Pretty lame... Bad Apple.

hi!

Recently i had to change all my system...!

I Had all installed and working ok!

ok, so now i have to start again!

I got a "His 6970" and a "Asus Sabertooth X58", do you think i can

have SL again?

some little help to start with?

My Graphic Card:

DevId: 1002-6718

Subvendor: ATI (1002)

Bios: 013.008.000.009.039303

thx :(

@blackwalker:

It has been said numerous times in many osx86 related forums, including in this very thread and recently even just a few posts above yours, that the ATI(AMD) 69xx are not supported at this time!

Sometimes a little search can help.

Btw, I just purchased an XFX 6870 Dual Fan Black Edition for my system. :(

@blackwalker:

Good card. I just got mine today (the ZDBC version - even though I doubt I'll notice the 40MHz overclock much) and its noticeably faster than the 4870 it replaced in OSX. To to mention ridiculously silent. Thanks to netkas/andy/etc its working perfectly with no crashes in dvd player either.

@blackwalker:

It has been said numerous times in many osx86 related forums, including in this very thread and recently even just a few posts above yours, that the ATI(AMD) 69xx are not supported at this time!

Sometimes a little search can help.

is ZDBC, 940 mhz

points in cinebech?

Good card. I just got mine today (the ZDBC version - even though I doubt I'll notice the 40MHz overclock much) and its noticeably faster than the 4870 it replaced in OSX. To to mention ridiculously silent. Thanks to netkas/andy/etc its working perfectly with no crashes in dvd player either.

Yes it's the ZDBC version aswell. I havent got mine just yet. It's coming either tomorrow or on friday. But good to know it's as silent as the reviews suggest. :wacko:

And although 40Mhz are not much it's still pretty nice considering its really quiet.

Cheers

is ZDBC, 940 mhz

points in cinebech?

I will report as soon as the the card is here.

My 8800GT gives me 28.83 Points on my system btw. :P

Yes it's the ZDBC version aswell. I havent got mine just yet. It's coming either tomorrow or on friday. But good to know it's as silent as the reviews suggest. :P

And although 40Mhz are not much it's still pretty nice considering its really quiet.

Cheers

I will report as soon as the the card is here.

My 8800GT gives me 28.83 Points on my system btw. :P

thanks, the result is the winner :P

Guys, any news for 6970. I have powercolor 6950 2Gb that unlocks 6970 shaders. Is it likely to expect some support in the near future?

AFAIK, the 69xx cards are not supported at this moment. The 68xx cards work because Apple released drivers for them with the latest MacBook Pro update.

My crystal ball says, we are not going to see 69xx drivers before Apple puts these cards in one of their systems, perhaps with the next MacPro Sandy-Bridge (Xeon) update. But thats difficult to predict, especially because Apple is not so much into high-end grafics-cards.

Anyway, as soon as those cards will be supported, you will read about it here or on netkas blog. Before that, it's useless to ask. That question has been asked nearly every day since weeks in probably every thread about the Radeon HD 6 Series. It's becoming annoying. ;)

Hello,

up front, i want to say thank you to everyone who helps newbies like me to get their System working with OSX. I probably wouldnt have been able to get this far without your work.

Unfortunately, i am still stuck at some point, and would appreciate hints as to what to try. Here's what i have :

Asus P8P67 Board (Not Pro)

Intel I5 2500

4 GB Ram

Ati 6870 HD Graphics card (Asus EAH6870 DC/2DI2S/1GD5, see here)

Using Andy's Boot disk (newest version), and network drivers from Realtek, i was able to get most things to work with SL 10.6.7:

- Firewire OK

- Bluetooth disabled (will not use it so i wont need to mess with the userspace firmware injection)

- LAN OK

- Processor speed / Type reported OK in "About my Mac"

- RAM Reported correctly in System Profiler

- System reported as Macbook Pro 8,1

The one thing which has eluded me is the graphics. I have not been able to get it to work properly.

Here is what i have done (Several times now):

- Boot from Andy's boot disk

- Install SL from DVD (not sure which version, assuming 10.6.0)

- Reboot with Andy's disk

- Install 10.6.7 Combo update

- Reboot with Disk

- Install Andy's P8P67Pro Package

- Reboot from HD

- Install Realtek Network drivers.

At this point, the system profiler reports the graphics as

Type : GPU

Bus PCIe

VRAM (Total) 256 MB

Vendor: ATI(0x1002)

Device ID: 0x6738

Revision ID: 0x000

Kernel Extention Info: No Kext Loaded

A check of the loaded KEXTs shows that the following ATI kexts were loaded:

- ATIRadeonX3000(6.3.2)

- ATISupport (6.3.2)

From here on, i have tried a number of things, all with varying degree of failure :

- Boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes : Stuck on boot screen (apple with a spinner), Kernel Panic when triggering shutdown via power button

- boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes, AtiConfig=Duckweed or Gibba : see above

- Install the ATI Kext package from This Thread : System will boot into a white screen

- Separate install of Andy's ATI Package (see earlier in this thread) : No change (not expected)

I did try a few other things from various forums (different sources for kexts, different framebuffer names), but the bottom line is, i cant get it to work.

Do you have a suggestion what i should try next ? I am rather lost.

Ahead of time, thank you for your answers.

G

Hello,

up front, i want to say thank you to everyone who helps newbies like me to get their System working with OSX. I probably wouldnt have been able to get this far without your work.

Unfortunately, i am still stuck at some point, and would appreciate hints as to what to try. Here's what i have :

Intel I5 2500

4 GB Ram

Using Andy's Boot disk (newest version), and network drivers from Realtek, i was able to get most things to work with SL 10.6.7:

- Firewire OK

- Bluetooth disabled (will not use it so i wont need to mess with the userspace firmware injection)

- LAN OK

The one thing which has eluded me is the graphics. I have not been able to get it to work properly.

- Reboot with Disk

- Reboot from HD

Bus PCIe

VRAM (Total) 256 MB

- ATIRadeonX3000(6.3.2)

- ATISupport (6.3.2)

From here on, i have tried a number of things, all with varying degree of failure :

- Boot with GraphicsEnabler=Yes : Stuck on boot screen (apple with a spinner), Kernel Panic when triggering shutdown via power button

- Install the ATI Kext package from This Thread : System will boot into a white screen

- Separate install of Andy's ATI Package (see earlier in this thread) : No change (not expected)

I did try a few other things from various forums (different sources for kexts, different framebuffer names), but the bottom line is, i cant get it to work.

G

try info

http://www.finderapps.com/6870.txt

Anyway, as soon as those cards will be supported, you will read about it here or on netkas blog.

Bloody right, as soon as my 6970 works I will be dancing a jig through the forums lol :D

Hello,

Intel I5 2500

4 GB Ram

- Firewire OK

- LAN OK

- Reboot with Disk

- Reboot from HD

Bus PCIe

VRAM (Total) 256 MB

- ATIRadeonX3000(6.3.2)

- ATISupport (6.3.2)

G

Are you using a DVI->VGA connector? Because this makes a huge difference and can be a pain in the testicles to get working (it's not that hard it's just not as straightforward or as easy as using a DVI connector) :unsure:

Thank you for the information. (I am a klutz and accidently removed a post, it seems).

I did tryall possible combinations. (Framebuffer name and Screen connection, Screens connected via Display Port or DVI-D, no adapters) The result seems to be the same:

I get a gray screen with an apple logo and a spinner on the system itself, and when i connect with screen sharing, i can check the system profiler. It reports the card correctly, but shows no screens.

I also issued a "Wait=Yes" to see the messages, and got :

Framebuffer @ 0xC0000000 MMIO @0xFE620000 I/O Port @ 0x0000E000 Rom Addr @0xFE60000
 ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space
 ATI Barts AMD Radeon HD 6870 Series 1024MB (Elodea) [1002:6738] (subsys [1043:03b0]):: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
 DMI table entries list is full! Next entries won't be stored.
 Patched DMI Table

That makes me guess that Elodea is the Personality of choice. Unfortunately, it shows no different behavior. (Unless i messed up somewhere else)

Any suggestions ?

G

Right - i have tried all possible combinations. The result seems to be the same across the board.

I did issue a "Wait=Yes" to see the messages, and got :

Framebuffer @ 0xC0000000 MMIO @0xFE620000 I/O Port @ 0x0000E000 Rom Addr @0xFE60000
ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space
ATI Barts AMD Radeon HD 6870 Series 1024MB (Elodea) [1002:6738] (subsys [1043:03b0]):: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
Patched DMI Table

That makes me guess that Elodea is the Personality of choice. Unfortunately, it shows no different behavior. (Unless i messed up somewhere else)

Any suggestions ?

G

Have you tried using AtiConfig=Duckweed as a bootflag?

Yes It is also that way when using either of the two DVI-D connectors (no adapter).

G

When you use the dvi connectors do you also make sure you unplug any dp cables - i.e is it the only cable connected to the graphics card?

Yup. One Cable only.

Sorry if you have already answered some of these questions but...

You are using 10.6.7 (NOT the standard 10.6.7 but eiher the 10.6.7 for 2011 mbp's or have the ATi Kexts installed from my ATi Update or P8P67Pro install package) - verify by checking that ATI6000Controller.kext exists in System/Library/Extensions

You have a Sandybridge and ATi capable boot loader installed (such as Chimera, the bootloader on my original boot cd or my latest one)

You have no old ATi or Nvidia injector kexts installed

You are not specifying a resolution in your boot.plist

Sorry if you have already answered some of these questions but...

You are using 10.6.7 (NOT the standard 10.6.7 but eiher the 10.6.7 for 2011 mbp's or have the ATi Kexts installed from my ATi Update or P8P67Pro install package) - verify by checking that ATI6000Controller.kext exists in System/Library/Extensions

You have a Sandybridge and ATi capable boot loader installed (such as Chimera, the bootloader on my original boot cd or my latest one)

You have no old ATi or Nvidia injector kexts installed

You are not specifying a resolution in your boot.plist

Don't worry about asking things twice - i understand.

I did install your P8P67Pro install package.

I did not install any legacy ATI injector kexts (at least not that i remember).

I am certain i did not install any nvidia kexts.

I have the following ati kexts :

ATI1300Controller

ATI1600Controller

ATI1900Controller

ATI2400Controller

ATI2600Controller

ATI3800Controller

ATI4600Controller

ATI4800Controller

ATI5000Controller

ATI6000Controller

ATIFramebuffer

ATIRadeonX1000

ATIRadeonX2000

ATIRadeonX3000

I should have the bootloader from your most recent cd, and there is no resolution specified now (although i did toy with it to see if it would change anything)

G

I got it working now. Thanks to ^Andy^ and jpa for offering things to look at, and for asking questions.

In the end, i reapplied all the ATI Kexts from Andy's package using Kext Wizard, and all worked. Why they did not get installed although the first time together with the sandy bridge kernel and the fitting bootloader, i do not know. What got me curious was that i had differing file dates on the kexts i had and the kexts included in the installer package.

Again, thank you for your help.

Final status is : QE/CI working with GraphicsEnabler=No (dual screen with 2 DVI-D), alternatively GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiConfig=Duckweed with one screen only.

G

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone got a 6950 working already? Really hope as it would be great to be able to use mac os x again ;)

Edit: Just read in some posts above me the 69xx arent working - yet. Does anyone know if this will be the cas in the near future? Im also reading netkas.org, read something about the first 6xxx framebuffer was found for the 6770m, does this do any good to the 6950?