ATI Radeon 6xxx, working QE/CI

Nuphor

791 posts in this topic

I've had QE/CI working with my 6870 with a few days now, so I thought I'd share. Attached are the kexts you'll need -these are taken from the latest MBP's and work with Snow Leopard (tested with 10.6.6). Remember to disable any injector (e.g. GraphicsEnabler=no if you're using Chameleon as a bootloader).

Lion users should also should have working 6870/6850's (and probably others) out of the box without any injectors.

Anyone try this with 6970? Will it work?

Strangely, the latest build of 10.6.7 (from yesterday) still doesn't have an ATI6000Controller.kext

meh I think Apple is just teasing in 10.6.7 I dunno why since the kext is in 10.7 really is no point in still holding out.

Speaking of which Nuphor, your 6870 OOB is stable within 10.7 I'm assuming.

meh I think Apple is just teasing in 10.6.7 I dunno why since the kext is in 10.7 really is no point in still holding out.

Speaking of which Nuphor, your 6870 OOB is stable within 10.7 I'm assuming.

Yep, I've been using it for a few days with no issues.

link your model?? 6870...

HIS 6870 Turbo

Damn... does this mean that we won't have to flash cards or buy Apple-tax cards at a premium anymore?

I've been holding off on a graphics upgrade for a long time. Maybe I'll get a 6870 with Lion. :D

I am having issues shutting down and restarting after installing the new ATI kexts and OpenGL.framework. Shutdown and restart appear to complete (the monitor turns off), but fans are still running in my computer, and the machine never turns off or restarts. I toyed with the power saving settings in the BIOS and also tried EvoReboot, OpenHaltRestart, and SleepEnabler to no avail. If I revert back to the old kexts or even the Lion kexts, shutodown and restart work normally. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Tried the kexts in your pack last night. Aside from telling me they couldn't be used because they were installed improperly about a dozen times (even using kext helper). I couldn't get them to work. Then I installed the driver pack for DX58SO motherboards and rebooted and they magically kicked in at boot. However I think they tried to use Chameleon w/ Graphics because it would let me select an HDD to boot from, if I chose my SL drive, the screens blacked out and the fan went to maximum till the machine shut down.

I'm going to attempt this again tonight (the process of going from iATKOS S3 v2 to 10.6.6 while keeping full USB support is a total PITA) and not use Chameleon as the loader this time. I'll repost my findings then.

Tried the kexts in your pack last night. Aside from telling me they couldn't be used because they were installed improperly about a dozen times (even using kext helper). I couldn't get them to work. Then I installed the driver pack for DX58SO motherboards and rebooted and they magically kicked in at boot. However I think they tried to use Chameleon w/ Graphics because it would let me select an HDD to boot from, if I chose my SL drive, the screens blacked out and the fan went to maximum till the machine shut down.

I'm going to attempt this again tonight (the process of going from iATKOS S3 v2 to 10.6.6 while keeping full USB support is a total PITA) and not use Chameleon as the loader this time. I'll repost my findings then.

The fan thing was something I encountered with Chameleon's injector enabled alright.

not working for mobility 6470 :) {censored}

Radeon cards referenced in the drivers (Device IDs):

- radeon HD 5770 + 5870

- radeon HD 5850

- radeon HD 6850

- radeon HD 6870

- radeon HD 6970

For other cards, Device IDs must be added to the controller kext.

Got the same as the guy above. 6850, installed kexts and got the installed improperly message. I used Kext Helper to install btw. Proceeded to install Chameleon RC5, and a modded boot file I found in another thread. It also advised me to dump my ROM, and place it in the Extra folder.

Edited the .plist to show UseAtiRom=Yes, and GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Booted up, and got black screen, and full fans.

Would it have worked with GraphicsEnabler=No

Cheers.

Got the same as the guy above. 6850, installed kexts and got the installed improperly message. I used Kext Helper to install btw. Proceeded to install Chameleon RC5, and a modded boot file I found in another thread. It also advised me to dump my ROM, and place it in the Extra folder.

Edited the .plist to show UseAtiRom=Yes, and GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Booted up, and got black screen, and full fans.

Would it have worked with GraphicsEnabler=No

Cheers.

You can remove UseAtiRom & GraphicsEnabler from your boot plist to disable the injector.

Can someone please tell me where I can find the option for pc_efi to set GraphicsEnabler=No? Tried setting it as a string in the default com.apple.boot.plist with no luck. If I manually type it it works. Where does pc efi keep its config file?

The SL shutdown issue doesn't seem to affect Lion, but it happens to me in SL also. I might try the new MBP's kernel too (it's different from 10.6.6's).

Works in this card??

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...0-507-_-Product

Snow support this?

OpenGL 3.1

OpenGL 3.2

OpenGL 4.0

OpenGL 4.1

Suport all?

Lion allegedly supports 3.2. I'll post some benchmarks over the weekend, and I have no idea if it'll support that card. Although it should, 6870's have the same reference design.

Couldn't get these to work after 8 separate installs. The kexts won't initialize with anything I try. My device ID is definitely in the kext as well. Fresh 10.6.6 Install Vanilla Kernel, XFX HD6870 Black Edition.

The closest I got was using these kexts, which would at least power all 4 monitors but wouldn't get to the desktop even with only one device plugged in, DVI or DisplayPort.

I'm basically giving up on this project until there is a distro with this card's support built in, or a pkg file that installs them automatically and it's reporting wide successful use. Or OSx86 Lion comes out. Thanks for the effort.