ATI Radeon 6xxx, working QE/CI

Nuphor

791 posts in this topic

Im also reading netkas.org, read something about the first 6xxx framebuffer was found for the 6770m, does this do any good to the 6950?

No. the list of all current ATi 6000 framebuffer names have been known for a while and none of them work with 6900 series desktop cards. The post over at Netkas site is pointing out which of those specific framebuffers is used by the 6770m.

Final status is : QE/CI working with GraphicsEnabler=No (dual screen with 2 DVI-D), alternatively GraphicsEnabler=Yes and AtiConfig=Duckweed with one screen only.

I have the Sapphire 6870 and have found the same. With GraphicsEnabler set explicitly to No then I get 2 x DVI-D working. With it set to Yes the system seems to prefer Duckweed and then I lose a DVI port.

Does anybody know if this is the state of affairs for the 6870 series? I.e. has anybody anywhere been able to get 2 x DVI-D working with DVD Player/Geekbench also working?

I can probably live with GraphicsEnabler=No and ignore the DVD Player issue, but it sure would be nice to get everything functional.

Thanks in advance for any pointers/help.

I have the Sapphire 6870 and have found the same. With GraphicsEnabler set explicitly to No then I get 2 x DVI-D working. With it set to Yes the system seems to prefer Duckweed and then I lose a DVI port.

Does anybody know if this is the state of affairs for the 6870 series? I.e. has anybody anywhere been able to get 2 x DVI-D working with DVD Player/Geekbench also working?

I can probably live with GraphicsEnabler=No and ignore the DVD Player issue, but it sure would be nice to get everything functional.

Thanks in advance for any pointers/help.

Well, I've been at this all night and then I thought that I would try thinking outside the box. So instead of messing around with trying to find the perfect personality for my 6870, I just decided to use an HDMI <> DVI-D cable I had handy.

That immediately did the trick.

ATI VGA Controller [1002:6738] :: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0) 
Framebuffer @0xD0000000  MMIO @0xFE620000  I/O Port @0x0000E000 ROM Addr @0xFE600000
ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space
ATI Barts AMD Radeon HD 6870 Series 1024MB (Duckweed) [1002:6738] (subsys [174b:e177]):: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1,0x1)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

ioreg | grep ATY
   | |   |     +-o ATY,Duckweed@0  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000372, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (4529 ms), retain 7>
   | |   |     +-o ATY,Duckweed@1  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000373, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (7 ms), retain 7>
   | |   |     +-o ATY,Duckweed@2  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000374, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (5 ms), retain 7>
   | |   |     +-o ATY,Duckweed@3  <class AtiFbStub, id 0x100000375, registered, matched, active, busy 0 (5 ms), retain 7>

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
       <string>Yes</string>
       <key>AtiConfig</key>
       <string>Duckweed</string>

I don't know what other side effects I will have by running one of the displays off the HDMI (should be ok, I'd think and since I don't need the HDMI for audio or anything else I can live with this for now).

DVD player works and dual monitors :)

@Jpa : heres my bench's that Im promised you on Tony forum (I didnt know that amd user cannot post there)

Cinebench.jpg

OpenGL1.jpg

it little bit strange on cinebench, sometimes i've got 33.98 sometimes i've got 34.20 (and this time got 34.09) when im bench my card...my card is HIS HD 6870 H687F1G2M

I don't know what other side effects I will have by running one of the displays off the HDMI (should be ok, I'd think and since I don't need the HDMI for audio or anything else I can live with this for now).

DVD player works and dual monitors :graduated:

thanks, i will try that :) (i can't sleep because this dual monitor things) :thumbsup_anim:

• 2 weeks later...

Bootable RAID 0 on GA-EX58-UD5* using Chimera bootloader to load Sapphire ATI HD 6870 in SL 10.6.7

I had a problem installing my Sapphire ATI 6870 with the Chimera bootloader and the bootloader that Andy posted here. Primarily because I was installing it to a RAID volume - and I couldn't get the volume to be bootable by itself, because the Chimera package and Andy's package didn't install to the physical drives. I always needed the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] CD or another hard drive to boot into the Snow Leopard. To get around this, I was able to install Chimera i386 boot files onto the small partitions in the various 'slices' or 'disks' of the RAID volume.

For anyone using the GA-EX58-UD5 and most likely any other GA board - this method worked brilliantly for setting up my RAID volume as a bootable disk with the ATI 6870 graphics card.

I used digital_dreamer's 10.6 Hackinstaller script to install the Chimera boot loader onto each of my RAID 0 slices. dd's script doesn't have the Chimera bootloader preloaded. So I had to put the Chimera boot files into his script manually, by package extracting out the i386 folder from the standalone Chimera boot loader, and then placing the folder into the ~extra/bootloaders folder for the Hackinstaller script.

The beauty of digital_dreamer's script is that it will automatically detect RAID volumes when installing a bootloader. It applies the bootloader files to the small boot partitions of each RAID slice. (The partition you normally lose when creating an array - or at least that is how I understand it.)

So, if you are trying to figure out how you are going to boot in with this this card on a software RAID volume I have shared my installation method. I am sure there is a better way to do this, but this is how I went about it.

What you will need for the bootable RAID volume with your ATI 6870 card:

1 drive with SL 10.6.7 already installed. (I used the simple Tonymac solution.)

10.6.0 Retail and Combo Update

Digital Dreamer's 10.6.7 Hackinstaller script

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=185097

Chimera Standalone v1.4 - tonymacx86

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=125

Pacifist for Mac

http://www.charlessoft.com/Pacifist_Docume...structions.html

ATI Kexts from 2011 MBP Install DVD - Compiled by ^Andy^

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1655159

Netkas ATY_Init for ATI HD 6870

http://netkas.org/?p=798

Preparatory Phase: Getting the Hackinstaller Script ready...

1. Download Chimera and download Pacifist. Extract the i386 folder out of Chimera using Pacifist. *I only extracted Chimera with Pacifist because I didn't know where else to find the Chimera boot files for bootloader install

2. Download the Hackinstaller script folder by digital_dreamer

3. Open the Hackinstaller folder - and locate the ~Extra/Bootloaders folder.

4. Take the extracted Chimera i386 folder and place it in another folder and give it a name - I called my folder "Chimera v1.40" and added an "Extra/Themes" folder within the new "Chimera v1.40" folder. (I don't know if you need to add a themes folder - but I did. I just made another folder set Extra/Themes and placed them in my newly named "Chimera v1.40 folder") Place the Chimera v1.40 folder into the ~Extra/Bootloaders folder in Hackinstaller.

5. Open the 10.6 folder (for SL) and take all of the 6870 Kexts packaged by ^Andy^ and the the ATY_Init.kext that was realeased by Netkas for the 6870 and place them in the graphics folder. This large bundle of ATI kexts will replace any of the kexts already in for graphics folder for the Hackinstaller script.

***Note - If you are not using a GA-EX58-UD5 motherboard you may need to install some other more specific kexts to the various folders for you build - dd's GUIDE will help you.***

Installation Phase: 10.6 install then 10.6.7 Combo Update

6. Now that you have got all of the kexts and bootfiles in place within the Hackinstaller folder for the Hackinstaller script to read you should start installing 10.6.7 onto the RAID 0 drive (or any other HFS+ volume).

7. Same ol' drill: start the installation of 10.6 and then combo update to 10.6.7 to your target disk. I did this by opening up the OSinstaller.mpkg on Snow Leopard Install DVD disk image - you can find it in the hidden files on the disk under System/Installation/Packages/OSinstaller.mpkg. A disk image is a faster way for you to install the OSX - takes me about 7-9 minutes on my new SSDs. It iis faster and quieter than listening to the optical drive spin up for 15-20 minutes. Run combo update 10.6.7. use the ShowAllFiles app that is included in [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url].

Hackinstaller Script Phase: Setting our drive up to boot

8. Run the script file...

9. Select the RAID array as the installation location

10. and start with option 2, 3, skip the OS X installation - because it is already installed, 5, 6, and 7.

The script automatically detects that you have a RAID 0 drive - and will install the bootloader to each slice and give it the right UUID-number for the bootloader to boot to or 'target' - no terminal work needed!

22. Modify your com.apple.plist (choose 9). If you are using the ATI 6870 add a new argument for AtiConfig, and then choose your framebuffer - mine is Duckweed. Then you may want to turn on or off verbose argument in the kernal flag selector of the script. You can set SL to run in 32 bit or 64 bit mode with the arch=i386 or arch=x86_64. You can edit your plist however you want... - My ATI 6870 card boots fine with 64 bit. - And has been pretty stable

and there are many other modifications that you can do with dd's script.

Now boot into your RAID drive without another boot disk. You can set up your RAID disks as the primary boot disk in your BIOS by changing boot priorities.

Thanks digital_dreamer for the best script ever, Netkas for the graphics card development and all of the other developers for making the various hardware OSx86 compatible!

Sweet... and that is how I solved my boot loader problem with Chimera, my 6870 card, and my RAID volume on my two OCZ drives. - I want to get 4 drives in the array eventually! :D

Happy Hackintoshing!

: : student_al : :

Hey

First post here - while being a fairly old hand on Macs generally, I am a complete noob when it comes to graphics cards (particularly "non supported ones") so please bear with me...

I am considering buying an XFX 6870 Black dual fan to replace the aging 8800GT in my Early 2008 Mac Pro 2.8

From reading around, I understand that this card should basically work out of the box providing I install some drivers first.

So first question - I have seen various versions of these drivers - which is the latest version - I have an ATI graphics update.pkg from 18 March - is that the one or has that since been updated?

Although it will work for most things, I have read that it will not work for bootup screen, DVD player, Geekbench and Steam without some further tweaking...this is where I really start to get confused as there seems to be different processes for getting these working on a MP and a Hackintosh.

Also, I saw on Netkas's blog that the method for getting these working (ATY_Init) seems to stop the 2nd DVI port from working - is that right or did I misunderstand that? I really need both DVI ports working as I have 2 x 23" ACDs

So, is there a way to get the boot screen and these apps working on a MP (particularly Steam) without losing the 2nd DVI port? If so, what is the method? (in terms that a noob like me would understand)

If not and I did have to loose the 2nd port to get these working, what adapter (active or passive?) would I need to run the 2nd ACD from a Mini DP on the card?

Thanks - would really appreciate any help.

Thanks for the instructions, I quite easily managed to get my new Asus 6850 working.

I updated to 10.6.7 and then installed the MPB2011 10.6.7 ATI Kexts and changed GraphicsEnabler=no

The top menu is transpanent, acceleration seems to be working.

But I have one quite serious problem. In iPhoto, when editing pictures I get degraded image quality, somehow it shows things wrong while in the edit mode. Colors get "cut off" and in general the image looks way different that it really is. This only happens in edit mode after doing some editing and when I go back to just viewing, they seem to be OK, even after the editing. When I go back to edit mode, those edited pictures still look strange in that mode.

I suspect that this has something to do with the video card. Any ideas?

I suspect that this has something to do with the video card. Any ideas?

Hmm, maybe the problem is that iPhoto doesn't properly understand my wide gamut monitor? I downloaded the Aperture 3 trial and it had no such problems! I also found out that it had some welcome features missing in iPhoto so I bought it from Appstore, quite cheap too. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, our friends over at netkas.org have made some HD69xx progress with the Lion DP4.

You can read the post here: http://netkas.org/?p=807

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could post a link containing the necessary kexts (ATIRadeonX3000.kext ATISupport.kext ATIFramebuffer.kext ATI6000Controller.kext) from DP4. Else, is there a way to extract those kexts from the installer? I have the installer, but I would rather just install the kexts on my snow leopard partition than going through the trouble of installing Lion.

Update: I tried following those instructions and I got a white screen with only a cursor. I could move the cursor around but that's it. The OP did say that he used a 6970 and I have a 6950, so maybe that's where it went wrong. Someone posted the kext files in the url I linked so if anyone else wants to try I would love to hear if this works or not.

Also, I fixed my machine by simply making a copy of each of those kexts beforehand and then using single user mode and copying them back to the right folder.

Good luck everyone.

Why is it so quiet in here?

hey guys, I have a gigabyte 5870 and tried a few boot files, everything works for me BUT I have to re plug in my dvi cable every time I boot into OSX from windows to get the monitor to display.

Its become really annoying getting on my hands and knees all the time, is this a known issue for the gigabyte card? havent read it anywhere.

Ive posted about this problem in a number of places without a single reply, I just need a bit of info as to if it is a fixable issue or if I just need to get another card as I need 100% functionality.

ANY help would be HUGELY appreciated! p_pm.png p_card.png p_report.png p_up.png

p_delete.png

Update: I tried following those instructions and I got a white screen with only a cursor. I could move the cursor around but that's it. The OP did say that he used a 6970 and I have a 6950, so maybe that's where it went wrong. Someone posted the kext files in the url I linked so if anyone else wants to try I would love to hear if this works or not.

Did you remember to delete your cache after renaming or deleting the x3000gldriver.bundle ?

Files as promised - I will explain how I installed in a moment..

1 - Kexts ATI Kexts from 2011 MBP Install DVD

2 - OpenGL Framework (probably not needed) OpenGL framework from 2011 MBP Install DVD

3 - Sandybridge friendly Mach_Kernel (only req'd if you have a new i5 or i7) Sandy Bridge friendly Kernel

And here is how I installed it all. I did NOT use kext helper, I did it all manually using a second install of OS X - you can probably use the shell if you boot using -s if you don't have a second partition to boot from.

Firstly I deleted ALL of the existing ATI kext and ATI bundle files from /System/Library/Extensions. I then copied the new ones into place. I also copied across the opengl framework to System/Library/Frameworks and deleted everything in the /System/Library/Caches folder. I then booted with -s and once at the terminal did the following

mount -uw / 
cd /System/Library/Extensions
chown -R 0:0 ATI*
chmod -R 755 ATI*
reboot

I then booted using my bootable usb stick and used diskutility to repair disk permissions - once complete I rebooted specifying GraphicsEnabler=no as a kernel flag and once at the desktop with everything working I edited my com.apple.boot.plist to remove any reference to the GraphicsEnabler. That was that, job done!

If anybody finds the files and my instructions useful and can provide a better home to host them then I would be grateful. They are currently on the end of an adsl line so the downloads will be slow.

Good Luck!

With new i5 and i7 do you mean the just released ones or my i7-870 to?

Is there support for crossfire 6870? I would like to have 2 6870s, however, I do not know how to disable one card in osx. I just want the extra performance in windows. Is there a way to do that?

You don't need to disable one of the cards in os x.

I run a pair of crossfired 6870's in one of my hacks. Obviously os x doesn't support crossfire so you wont get any speed advantage but it will work just as well as a single card without any additional hacking around required.

Hi,

I gave it a try with my HD6950, and the result is this garbled screen

Used the Kexts posted on netkas' blog, along with the ATY_init he posted.

post-25420-1307961967_thumb.jpg

When starting in verbose mode, I get even more garbage...

My 6950 works flawlessly now. You need to update the graphics kexts and bundles with the recently released dp4 files and delete the GL file as the directions indicate. Also, make sure you dont have a 6950 running a 6970 bios. I had to revert back to original bios to get past the white screen. You also need the modified ATY_Init kext and make sure it is being loaded.

EDIT:

I'm not actually positive if the bios needed to be reverted as I just noticed this on netkas' site:

delete ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle, works on second boot

Based on that I am not sure if it would have worked regardless of the bios being used. I'll play around with that later and report back when I have time.

My 6950 works flawlessly now. You need to update the graphics kexts and bundles with the recently released dp4 files and delete the GL file as the directions indicate. Also, make sure you dont have a 6950 running a 6970 bios. I had to revert back to original bios to get past the white screen. You also need the modified ATY_Init kext and make sure it is being loaded.

I have 6950 and when I add ATY_Init S/L/E folder never accepted. Evertime I got error. How do you modified this?

OK, is QE acceleration working?

i doubt he's getting acceleration.

:(

Exactly. That is what the "delete the GL file" part meant. Removing ATIRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle, removes the acceleration, which is reported as being unstable at this time.

OK, is QE acceleration working?

Sorry if that 'flawlessly' comment was misleading. For me, full 2560x1650 resolution and stability = happy man. For now, I'm back into my machine and able to use it without losing my mind.

I have 6950 and when I add ATY_Init S/L/E folder never accepted. Evertime I got error. How do you modified this?

I didn't have to modify anything. I dropped the kext into the extras directory and corrected the owner and perms. Other than that, I updated to the dp4 graphics kexts as well.

I believe I also have graphics enabler set to no if that helps.

I didn't have to modify anything. I dropped the kext into the extras directory and corrected the owner and perms. Other than that, I updated to the dp4 graphics kexts as well.

I believe I also have graphics enabler set to no if that helps.

@Moneymark

All you had to say was that you had your native resolution working saying it was flawless means it is perfect by definition and without QE acceleration that is indeed misleading.

Guys I don't think it was intentional, just a little over enthusiastic maybe :wacko:

P.S The latest Lion update seems to have tidied up a few things - you still can't use the ATIRadeonx3000GLDriver.bundle but you no longer get the garbled screen just before the desktop appears - it's now a nice tidy Apple logo on that thatched background instead!

Andy I guess it's just that every time I read this thread that there is always someone posting about a working 69xx and apparently getting native resolution is something to sing about to me it's just nor cutting it.

Sorry if I do sound a little rash about itit's just that I keep seeing the same thing over and over again.