Core2Duo (Conroe) chipsets and chipsets for OSx86

bofors

349 posts in this topic

not sure whether the asrock LAN solutions are supported by OSX86.

So, is anyone running the ASrock conroe945G either with conroe or something else?

This could be a great starter board with a 805 D to begin with, then a conroe when they get cheaper.

So, is anyone running the ASrock conroe945G either with conroe or something else?

This could be a great starter board with a 805 D to begin with, then a conroe when they get cheaper.

racer.

U read my mind. ASrock and 805 D will be here by next Monday :D . Then I will get Conroe X6800 when the price comes down to earth.

not sure whether the asrock LAN solutions are supported by OSX86.

Nope. Nada. Get dirt cheap, usb wifi dongle that is supported by OSX86.

U read my mind. ASrock and 805 D will be here by next Monday :D . Then I will get Conroe X6800 when the price comes down to earth.

Nope. Nada. Get dirt cheap, usb wifi dongle that is supported by OSX86.

I'd never buy a X6800! Way too dear and my E6600 clocked way past X6800 default on stock voltage :blink:

I had to give the Conroe a go after reading great reviews of it so I went out & bought the ASRock ConRoeXFire-eSATA2 & a Core 2 Duo E6600 this afternoon. I have just finished building the system and with a duplicate of the HD from my Pentium D system, OS X boots up fine but in-depth testing will begin tomorrow! Whoops, WinXP crashes during boot. :D

This board is quite affordable, I bought mine for about USD97. More info & a review here:

ConRoeXFire-eSATA2 product page

ocworkbench.com review of the ConRoeXFire-eSATA2

As far as OS X is concerned, most things should work. It has ALC888 audio which will need a bit of plist editing. Texas Instruments firewire, hopefully, will work out of the box. Network will be a problem as it's a Realtek RTL8111B. It also has external SATA connectors which I believe should work as well. I'll know tomorrow! This should be a great board for a budget hackintosh.

mir...

Keep us informed! The firewire (TI chips are bound to work) and eSATA (sceptical about this one) would nicely compensate for the LAN troubles. How about overclocking?

I had to give the Conroe a go after reading great reviews of it so I went out & bought the ASRock ConRoeXFire-eSATA2 & a Core 2 Duo E6600 this afternoon. I have just finished building the system and with a duplicate of the HD from my Pentium D system, OS X boots up fine but in-depth testing will begin tomorrow! Whoops, WinXP crashes during boot. :thumbsdown_anim:

This board is quite affordable, I bought mine for about USD97. More info & a review here:

ConRoeXFire-eSATA2 product page

ocworkbench.com review of the ConRoeXFire-eSATA2

As far as OS X is concerned, most things should work. It has ALC888 audio which will need a bit of plist editing. Texas Instruments firewire, hopefully, will work out of the box. Network will be a problem as it's a Realtek RTL8111B. It also has external SATA connectors which I believe should work as well. I'll know tomorrow! This should be a great board for a budget hackintosh.

mir...

I have seen a guy on Xtremesystems with a Kentsfield running on a P5W DH Deluxe, i wonder if it will also work like the Core2Duo.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111574

My shopping list at the moment is like that:

Single Display Setup

Asus P5WDH Deluxe Euro 193,45

Sidenote: As far is know wlan is not working. Great Overclocking features.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Boxed Euro 181,60

Powercolor X1600 Pro 512MB DDR2 Euro 109,99

Pros/Cons

+Great Overclocking Features --> better Overall Performance

+the most advanced Intel Chipset

+Firewire

+Kentsfield will most likely be supported

+low power consumption compared to pentium D

-expensive

-no Dual Display possibility

-onboard wlan not working

-no current Intel Mac is based on the 975 chipset (dunno if this will be a problem or not)

Dual Display Setup

Asrock ConRoe 945G-DVI Sockel 775 Euro 64,50

Sidenote: Onboard Lan will most likely not work? Questionable Overclocking Features? Missing V-Core Option and maybe an FSB Cap which will cause problems because the multiplicator of low end Core 2 Duo is very low.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Boxed Euro 181,60

Pros/Cons

+cheap

+Dual Display

+as close to "real" macs as possible

+good stock performance (it is as fast as a Intel 975 Chipset!)

+low power consumption compared to pentium D

?(+ or -) support for the upcoming Kentsfield?

-missing Overclocking features, no vcore (but the new chips doesnt seem that vcore dependent so this shouldnt be a big problem), the FSB is to low for low end core 2 duo because the multiplier is very low

-no Firewire

-onboard Lan not working

-only up to 299 FSB

It will replace my beloved ASUS P5LD2-VM powered by an power consuming Intel 930. The only sad thing is that Dual Display mode isnt possible anymore but i guess thats the price you have to pay for the better performance (i only got one display at the moment so it doesnt realy matter for me).

I also thought about the new Asus P5LD2-VM Revision 2.00 but i dont know at how much the new boards are capped (my old P5LD2-VM is capped at 265 FSB).

Well, i think it would be the best to grab an el cheapo Asrock ConRoe 945G-DVI Sockel 775 or similar and put cheap Firewire/Lan PCI Cards into it and be done.It will last for quite some time If it offers support for the upcoming Kentsfield. Maybe someone at Xtremesystems can try.

Looking at all i have to say that running OSX86 on your PC have never been more interesting but Apple priced the Mac Pro much lower than i expected so waiting for the cheaper Personal Tower Macs or how they are called might also be a wise step but they will most likely lack overclocking feautures. :)

here's my rig :)

To all the owners of the ASUS P5W DH DeLuxe,

A few days ago I bought this board also, as in the thread it seems to be the best to get OS X running on a Conroe.

Everthing is working fine with some minor, but one big exception that irritates me very much.

When OS X starts up it discovers a "Config Disk", that needs to be [formatted, ignored or ejected].

It can only be ignored.

In Diskutil it is seen as a separate (hard)disk.

post-29063-1156021250_thumb.png

When checking systemprofile this 'config disk' is shown as seen on the picture below.

post-29063-1156020824_thumb.png

Has anybody ever seen this before?

If so, is something wrong with the BIOS (settings)?

I tried several settings of the IDE / SATA settings in the BIOS, but the 'Config Disk' remains.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Klaas de Jong

How about you guys post your xbench scores and what version of OS X you're using?

Graeme43 and the rest of you guys with Conroe boxes, I'd really like to see your scores.

Don't be shy :D

I don't have a conroe box yet. I'm watching you guys closely to see what I need to buy or I'd post my scores.

Tried to add the 0x28258086 and 0x28208086 device id to the intel ata drivers.

I couldn't even get past the loading kexts screen but I guess that was kernel fault, happened to me with the old 945g mobo also sometime, but i didnt have on hand the old sse2 kernel to try to boot it.

If someone else with a P965 chipset can try those dev ids would be nice. I added em under ICH7 SATA section. You could try ICH6 SATA too.

Has anyone played with the integarated wireless card on the Asus P5W DH Deluxe?

It's based on a Realtek RTL8187L chipset and it's listed in the system profiler under the USB section.

There are some drivers for this chipset for osx on the realtek webpage - http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...eyword=RTL8187L .

The driver installs fine but no device shows up under system preferences / network.

I tried editing the Info.plist in the rtl8187.kext (it's in the Extensions folder) with the proper device and vendor ids but that didn't help eater.

Perhaps someone els want's to give it a try.

U read my mind. ASrock and 805 D will be here by next Monday :( .

Please report if this combination works with both cores in OSX86! I tried Asrock Conroe945G-DVI and Pentium D 930 and got terrible stuttering all the time when both cores were enabled (it was fine with only one core). I switched to my good old Asus P5LD2-VM and now both cores of 930 are working fine. I wonder what caused it, both boards have the 945 chipset?