Core2Duo (Conroe) chipsets and chipsets for OSx86

bofors

349 posts in this topic

So far the Intel 965 chipsets are a total "no go" for OSX86. May be this will change in the near to mid term future if Apple decides to use this chipset in their own boxes, hard to tell. If running OSX86 is important for you better stick to the chipsets with known OSX86 compatibility: Intel 945 and 975.

Bofors/all : do you expect the new GMA3000 or GMAX3000 onboard video to work? (I'm thinking about buying a new Intel G965 board with the X3000 onboard grahics.)

Sammy, I haven't seen anything that pegs the 965 as a "no go". I've only seen one post claiming a failed install (Conroe Mac, aug 8), and he did not list any details (which OSX version, which source, which mobo/gpu/etc).

p.s.: the issue may be with the IDE controller not the 965 chipset. There are threads on some Linux forums about booting problems; the key is that the 965 chipset does not support IDE (PATA), so the mobo mfrs (even Intel, ironically!) are adding chipsets to the boards so people can use IDE DVD/CD devices. If that is the source of the problem, it should be solved with a $15 ide/sata converter, so the DVD drive will be linked to a SATA port. Maybe. ;-)

Well, when saying "no go" I meant "not working". To my knowledge there is as yet no successful installation of OSX86 on a 965 chipset mobo. I thought that this is due to lack of basic support for the ICH8 Southbridge...

Rumors go that Apple will release in September new Mac mini and iMac models. Anyhow, even if Apple introduces support for the 965 chipset with these machines it would be all but clear how to translate this into a working OSX86 installation on a non-Apple 965 mobo. Like the Mac Pro these models will run new modified builts of OSX 10.4.7 (perhaps even 10.4.8 said to be due in October), which makes it extremely difficult to translate hardware support from Apple machines to OSX86 boxes. Look at the situation concerning graphic cards, are we any closer to get full support for NVidia GeForce 7300GT cards or any other NVidia card because the GeForce 7300GT is now used in the Mac Pro? No, in contrast the most likely graphics solution will probably arise from Apple-independent driver development.

Sometimes I hate my notorious scepticism. :D

Sammy, I haven't seen anything that pegs the 965 as a "no go". I've only seen one post claiming a failed install (Conroe Mac, aug 8), and he did not list any details (which OSX version, which source, which mobo/gpu/etc).

p.s.: the issue may be with the IDE controller not the 965 chipset. There are threads on some Linux forums about booting problems; the key is that the 965 chipset does not support IDE (PATA), so the mobo mfrs (even Intel, ironically!) are adding chipsets to the boards so people can use IDE DVD/CD devices. If that is the source of the problem, it should be solved with a $15 ide/sata converter, so the DVD drive will be linked to a SATA port. Maybe. ;-)

I'm planning on building my conroe setup soon. Finishing up my research online and digging thru all the very useful info on all this forum.

I'm heading towards a Radeon X1900XT as far as video card is concerned since it's one of the supported cards for the MacPro. I've seen people in this thread with working setups on 1600/1800 series, so I'm guessing the 1900XT shouldn't be a problem right?

I need to be able to have DVI on 1920x1200. Anybody with that working on 1900XT?

/juuni

Hello, I'm totally lamer as to installing MacOS onto a PC, so excuse me if my questions will be somewhat stupid :(

I'd like to buy the Asrock - ConRoe945G-DVI quoted in this topic, to bundle with a E6300 Core 2 Duo CPU.

What should I need to make MacOS to work on this bundle? May I use Sata RAID? Are both DVI and RGB working for a dual display configuration?

Thanks.

I'm planning on building my conroe setup soon. Finishing up my research online and digging thru all the very useful info on all this forum.

I'm heading towards a Radeon X1900XT as far as video card is concerned since it's one of the supported cards for the MacPro. I've seen people in this thread with working setups on 1600/1800 series, so I'm guessing the 1900XT shouldn't be a problem right?

I need to be able to have DVI on 1920x1200. Anybody with that working on 1900XT?

/juuni

I really hate to burst your bubbles but, as of today, nobody is using x1900xt via DVI connection :)

My setup:

OS 10.4.7 Jas

Motherbaord: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3

Graphics card: 1600XT

I think there is a breakthrough in the process though. It's possible that I will be running on the 965 chipset in the very near future. I will keep you updated.

Edit: See post above! I've also gotten wind of someone running a GA-965P-DS4R without getting the "Waiting for root device" error for booting install DVD (and without using a USB install drive.) I do not have confirmation on a successful installation for that board yet.

quoting myself:

Hello, I'm totally lamer as to installing MacOS onto a PC, so excuse me if my questions will be somewhat stupid smile.gif

I'd like to buy the Asrock - ConRoe945G-DVI quoted in this topic, to bundle with a E6300 Core 2 Duo CPU.

What should I need to make MacOS to work on this bundle? May I use Sata RAID? Are both DVI and RGB working for a dual display configuration?

Thanks.

Can anybody help me, please? :)

Nice!

Finally we hear some success stories on P965 motherboards :(

I wanna try on my P5B Deluxe mobo too but I lack either a PATA to SATA or PATA to USB converter.

I would like to use a PATA to SATA and connect it to the ICH8R SATA controller to keep my drive internal but I'm not sure if it will work.

I'll see if i can buy it and test it by myself, if anyone else can do the test would be nice :P

Nice!

Finally we hear some success stories on P965 motherboards :(

I wanna try on my P5B Deluxe mobo too but I lack either a PATA to SATA or PATA to USB converter.

I would like to use a PATA to SATA and connect it to the ICH8R SATA controller to keep my drive internal but I'm not sure if it will work.

I'll see if i can buy it and test it by myself, if anyone else can do the test would be nice :P

When I had the P965 - sata, ide, network and sound never worked. USB did and booting from usb is SLOWWW!!!!!!!!

When I had the P965 - sata, ide, network and sound never worked. USB did and booting from usb is SLOWWW!!!!!!!!

I want to do further investigation :P I'm sure there's a way to run OS X on a P965 mobo reliably :(

Edit:

Forgot to mention another user reported a really low performance from the jmicron controller, but he said the Intel ICH8R SATA worked really good in AHCI mode.

Bofors this is quite excellent !!

Can we have some more posts on the same line, where actaully there is a full listing as to which processor and Mobos are supported by Apple, to build a complete OSX on x86 , flawless installation ?

Hello,

I thought if I was going to make a first post I better make it a good one so...

I got the Ga965p-ds3 going...

USB DVD drive to boot OSX

10.4.7 jas running SSE2 patch with both cores

Core2 duo 1.88 (allendale, 2mb cache editio)

Seagate Sata3.0 160GB running on the Intel ICH8.

Networking works right out of the box

Sound hasn't been setup but it's the Realtek HD audio ALC883

I believe my brother has it working on his setup

running

What doesn't work is:

Gigabyte chipset so no ATA. or SATA RAID.

I'm may eventually try using vmware to install on the SATA HD.

When I find an SATA to Ide converter locally I'll try installing Via Sata-DVD.

Once I get everything working or find out more I'll report back.

For now it seems the budget overclockers now have an option to run OSX :P

Nice, and we didn't even need device id changes!

So far the DVD just refuses to boot if i use the jmicron IDE controller from the P5B Deluxe, but, I'll try a PATA to SATA converter to connect my DVD drive on the ICH8. At least, we're now sure that usb dvd drives and ich8 sata does work.

I got the Ga965p-ds3 going...

This is a choice motherboard for overclocking Conroe for only about $150: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16813128012

Note that it ranks high in the [H]ardForum Conroe Overclock Database: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1075792

Hopefully, Apple will release a 965 Mac in the next month, so we can get the IDE channel on these 965 boards working.