ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

Did you not read? This is for testing purposes, and for those who know what they're doing.. It's not a guide or anything.

Hallelujah!

Also, let's not forget that Kabyl's first post also says, "Once the testing is finished, I'll submit the patch to my branch and then eventually to trunk, please be patient!" It's shocking that people here are actually nagging him on this.

I admit I'm cluttering this thread too. But, please people, read the first post. The instructions are so clear that it's truly embarrassing when you can't follow them.

I need to find sometime to clean up the code and commit it, this has taken too long already, sorry.

Lyle M, he is saying in October 4th, that the testing process took so long (more than a month ago) and he apologized, so, what are you saying? Have you read the hole thread?

After a post like that, is pretty weird, that Kabyl didn't came back since long time ago (last post was 10th october).

Is really weird, and I am worried, but not only for the development, but his wellness.

Lyle M, he is saying in October 4th, that the testing process took so long (more than a month ago) and he apologized, so, what are you saying? Have you read the hole thread?

After a post like that, is pretty weird, that Kabyl didn't came back since long time ago (last post was 10th october).

Is really weird, and I am worried, but not only for the development, but his wellness.

I'm sure he's fine. Probably got some paid work to do ;)

Working for Radeon 5850 Toxic Edition.

Only tested on DVI.

When will you update it with trunk's enhancement, or publy a .diff?

I would love to be able to use the latest trunks update...

Like I've said on the RC5 thread I believe it's already commited, in part to the trunk but you may have to edit the framebuffer value for your GPU in ati.c before you compile.

D

Hi, i have success to run my sapphire 5750 vapor-x 1Gb wiht baboon framebuffer, but i face one very strange problem:

Everything works fine for me, but when i use mouse cursor is like drunk or crazy.... i don't know! when i point cursor for example area near clock cursor appears in opposite side (on the top left). Same is when i point to the Dock.

I found a decision for my problem.

Just changed framebuffer to "vervet".

Thanks Kabyl!

Hi, i have success to run my sapphire 5750 vapor-x 1Gb wiht baboon framebuffer, but i face one very strange problem:

Everything works fine for me, but when i use mouse cursor is like drunk or crazy.... i don't know! when i point cursor for example area near clock cursor appears in opposite side (on the top left). Same is when i point to the Dock.

I found a decision for my problem.

Just changed framebuffer to "vervet".

Thanks Kabyl!

5700 Series is always "Vervet"

This code is not in the trunk yet. The ati code in the trunk was last updated over 9 months ago.

Yes I can see when the last commit was.

I assume (maybe incorrectly.) that it's just not been documented/ completed yet.

Can someone confirm whether audio out through HDMI will work with the Radeon HD 5570? I would like to find out for sure before I buy it. Specifically I want to be able to output DTS-MA and Dolby Digital True HD to my stereo from this card.

The card I am looking at is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102875

For the audio to even work, it would have to be output from the Display Port and work with an HDMI adapter.

Thanks for the help.

Yes, I can confirm that it does work, and there are two ways to do it. I have a Sapphire with the 2-DVI ports, 1 display port and VGA port from NewEgg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102873&cm_re=sapphire_100283-_-14-102-873-_-Product). I installed my system with the tonymacx86 [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] method. The first way to do it is with [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and just use the VooDoo audio kexts install. That makes the HDMI show up but unfortunately, on my system, it disables the onboard audio chip on my x58-ud3r motherboard. So I went with the second way. Which is a DSDT edit that adds HDMI support to the DSDT. It works great and I still keep my onboard audio. So yes, it does indeed work. I would get the version with the two DVI ports if you want to be 100% absolutely sure, but it may work with the one you selected as well.

Just want to say it works great with my 4870. I have two installed in my system and while CrossFire worked flawlessly under Windows, the second card would always run full blast under OS X. This bootloader not only silences the card, but allows it to be recognized in System Profiler.

Obviously CrossFire doesn't work, but it's pleasant not to have to deal with the constant hurricane-force noise coming from my case.

Made it, using Kabyl boot. Long work for a begginer like me. Described it in ATI 5000 bootloader thread.

And after asking many stupid questions... :(

Here are the dumps for one and two ports.

Both look stable now. 64bit with QE/CI. OpenGL test work till 2.1.

Didn't add any flags at boot and I think it is using Uakari (I thought Kabyl boot uses Vervet by default...).

Archive.zip

ATI 5000 series is great for non gamers and the prices are falling fast due to NVidia's competition. It will be the main stream card for nearly all serious Hackintoshers. But there's got to be better support from Chameleon Team to make it painless for newbies. The forum is littered with success and frustration alike from 3, 4 different camps.

I have no bias or criticism but Fermi cards are supported now since NVidia delivers the driver themselves on the website. ATI should follow suit if you want better market or mind share, at least for earlier series such as 3xxx and 4xxx.

The Chameleon developers are all doing this for the love of the challenge and the community? A few of them are lucky enough to get donations from people but I think we should be more grateful for their many hours spent trying every which way they can to support the latest hardware.

MacMan wrote a very good post on the difference between ATI and nVidia graphics:

MacMan & TonyMac - Graphics Cards 101

It seems that the problem isn't so much with the Chameleon developers but the fact that ATI has a more model specific architecture where as nVidia cards allow more generic drivers to be installed (i.e. the fact that they've released OSX drivers for all 4XX cards and also the fact that most of the 7XXX, 8XXX and 9XXX series work out of the box with OSX) where as getting the 5770 and 5870 to work has been a real struggle as seen by the size of these threads.

So yes - I think the problem lies with ATI and their architecture not with the Chameleon team and Kabyl for their excellent work to date.

I get the feeling that the nVidia cards are going to reclaim their position as the graphics cards of choice for OSX86 users now that there are generic Fermi drives that can easily be installed.

ATI 5000 series is great for non gamers and the prices are falling fast due to NVidia's competition. It will be the main stream card for nearly all serious Hackintoshers. But there's got to be better support from Chameleon Team to make it painless for newbies. The forum is littered with success and frustration alike from 3, 4 different camps.

I have no bias or criticism but Fermi cards are supported now since NVidia delivers the driver themselves on the website. ATI should follow suit if you want better market or mind share, at least for earlier series such as 3xxx and 4xxx.

Hello,

I've got my HD4770 working using Flicker ATIFB. I have to force graphics mode in com.apple.boot.plist. Is there any way to get EDID from display?

I have 512 MB in the graphics card and it is shown so during boot but in system profiler only 256MB are shown.

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4770

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x94b3

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1280 x 1024

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Thank you for your work !!!

<br />Can I find somewhere kabyl bootloader based on RC5 rev643 ??<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Kabyl's code is not in his branch yet and his branch has not changed in a month or more. It looks like he's doing something else right now. From what I can understand (I read french worse than english), Trauma shared some code with Kabyl, which Kabyl improved for the boot loader in this thread. Trauma has been working on his code still but I don't know how it compares to Kabyls. Trauma has not released his code yet either, but has released a binary based on the most recent trunk - so maybe that will work for you.

I tested a Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 1GB [100284L] on a Gigabyte GA-945GCM-S2C.

- I performed a fresh install of Retail Snow Leopard 10.6.0 and applied Combo Update to 10.6.5.

- I installed Chameleon 2.0 RC4 replacing the boot file with the one from this topic.

- I then installed all the remaining updates through Software Update including the Graphics Update

- I generated a DSDT using DSDTSE and applied DTGP, RTC, _WAK, and CMOS patches.

- I patched AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E for ALC662

- In /E/E I have:

• ALC662.kext
  • ATAPortInjector.kext
  • AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext
  • ApplePS2Controller.kext
  • Disabler.kext
  • OSXRestart.kext
  • SleepEnabler.kext
  • fakesmc.kext [2.5]

I tested the video card on the following ports: (DVI-A is closest to the PCI-x slot)

- Single DVI-A - Working

- Single DVI-B - Working

- Single DVI-A and DVI->VGA on DVI-B - Working

- Single DVI-B and DVI->VGA on DVI-A - Working

- Single HDMI - Working

- Dual DVI - Working

In all cases I am booting in verbose mode and it never switches from text mode to graphics mode when not using ATY_Init.kext. In Safe Boot mode (-x) I am able to get into a graphics mode, but of course, no HW acceleration.

So far this card is useless. Hopefully you can get native support for it working soon. Thanks for all the hard work!

Edit: Success! I added ATY_Init.kext from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] to /E/E and boot in 64 bit and I get full QE/CI and Res Change! Awesome!

Edit: I guess I am just crazy. I didn't know to add the device id of my 5750 to ATI5000Controller.kext in /S/L/E. After doing that, my card is working without the need for ATY_Init.kext. Thanks for the help. For anyone interested, I was also able to get HDMI audio working with tmongkol dsdt patch. Thanks again all.

@ crazyJAT

You saved my life sorta since I've been contemplating on that same exactly 5750 sapphire card for sometime now at that price but I haven't heard word on the 5750 working but I've heard of a few 5770's working

try out the catris bios if your gigabyte board supports it

It saved my troublesome days of using a DSDT when I flashed my bios today