ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

@crazyjet

Strange.

I have all outs working in all combinations with 2 Displays. I use a Powercolor green 5750 with the kabyl booter @10.6.5 ,64Bit Graphicsenabler=yes

Works perfect without any Problem.

I have my own edited DSTD on Asus P55 and only Fakesmc in e/e folder

Maybe you should do a fresh install. Then only install 10.6.5 Comboupdate and add the 5750 (68be) DevID to the Ati5000Controller.kext. You dont need ATY_Init.kext ! Then install [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and Chameleon. Dont forget to copy over the boot File and Graphicsenabler=yes.

A 5750 should work without your Problems andf ATY_Init.kext ,simply with the 10.6.5 Update:)

After udating to 10.6.5 i tried the "Uakari" framebuffer again and it worked fine with both dvi and hdmi tested.

Was using "Zonalis" before since i got a black screen on dvi with "Uakari".

I have an ATI Sapphire 5850 Reference card.

After udating to 10.6.5 i tried the "Uakari" framebuffer again and it worked fine with both dvi and hdmi tested.

Was using "Zonalis" before since i got a black screen on dvi with "Uakari".

Please add your hardware to your signature

After installing my saphire 5770 with kabyls boot I have mouse lag issues!

Anyone else has this issue?

It can be :

1. Take a look into ActivityMonitor. Maybe you see UserEventAgent which is using around 100% CPU Load.

In this case go to System/UserEventPlugins and delete AppleHIDMouseAgent.plugin

2. And/or delete AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext in System/Library/Extensions

In my Case it was always the 1 Case

It can be :

1. Take a look into ActivityMonitor. Maybe you see UserEventAgent which is using around 100% CPU Load.

Thanks for your answer!

I have the trackpad, the magic mouse and a logitech mouse they all have this lag...

But I noticed that is not only the mouse lag but I think there are some performance issues... Quicktime for exmple has now some sluttering and there is some cpu load all the time (2-4%)...

With my old 8600gt I didin't had this issues!

Kabyl took a version of Chameleon and added ATI support to it - his code has yet to be added into the main trunk of Chameleon code.

You can only have one version of Chameleon booting your system at any one time so if you want support for your ATI card without kexts then you need to use Kabyl's version but you can't use the latest Chameleon version until Kabyl's code has been added to the trunk coding.

Hi

I use this boot file for a while and it works fine...but i tought about one Thing..

Are there any known Problems when i use the Kabyl boot File with latest Chameleon 2.0 RC5 Versions ? Is it compatible ? I mean the standard boot file from Chameleon 2.0 RC5 643 is 299k big, the boot mod only 199k ?

It can be :

I don't see the UserEventAgent.plugin wich is using some cpu load...

But I tried both but it didn't help.

With my 8600gt I don't have any issues with mouse or trackpad...

Any advice?

Please help!

Kabyl took a version of Chameleon and added ATI support to it - his code has yet to be added into the main trunk of Chameleon code.

You can only have one version of Chameleon booting your system at any one time so if you want support for your ATI card without kexts then you need to use Kabyl's version but you can't use the latest Chameleon version until Kabyl's code has been added to the trunk coding.

No, i think you dont understand me correct .

I simply copy over the Kabyl boot File after Chameleon 2.0 RC5 643 installation and it works togther with boot0hfs etc from Chameleon install, no Problems at all over the last Month

So my question was if there could be some Trouble caused by the Kabyl booter used "together" with the Files ( Boot0HFS in my Case) from v2.0 RC5 643

Sorry my English is bad

<br />No, i think you dont understand me correct .<br /><br />I simply copy over the Kabyl boot File after Chameleon 2.0 RC5 643 installation and it works togther with boot0hfs etc from Chameleon install, no Problems at all over the last Month<br /><br />So my question was if there could be some Trouble caused by the Kabyl booter used "together" with the Files ( Boot0HFS in my Case) from v2.0 RC5 643<br /><br />Sorry my English is bad<br />
<br /><br /><br />

The other files haven't changed in months in trunk. And that shouldn't matter anyway. I believe as long as something calls the boot file it should be ok. For example, if you wanted, you could use grub2 to multiboot the boot file skipping anything other than the boot, so if that works then it would make sense that the version of the other files doesn't matter. I'd be interested to know if I'm wrong though.

Can someone tell me why this boot file is needed? ATI5xxx graphics card is in macs now. Did apples' boot file change for new macs or could I put my graphics card in a real mac and just have it work? I'm curious. Thanks. Also, how does real mac pick the right framebuffer for the card? It looks like all solutions (ATY_Init or ati.c based) make you pick a framebuffer. Thanks.

@FAQBoy : Apple uses "special" (Mac versions) Ati Cards with a bigger ROM which is EFI compatible.

That's in this part of the ROM and at the EFI time that the FrameBuffer is selected.

If you want to use a PC card on your MacPro, you first need to flash it.

Go on netkas forum (google it if you don't know) to learn more about that...

Hello,

Is there a difference in the speed of the graphiccards from boot9 file from trauma to this release?

Does anyone have a comparision?

Would be nice if someone have a info!!

Greets

No. i got the same results with both Boot Files.

@FAQBoy

I think the Difference is that the Ati 5000 Cards in a IMAC have a different Bios then the PC ATi Graphics Cards

I got Apple ATI Radeon HD 5870 to work in Hackintosh (configuration spec. bellow).

While all three ports under Win 7 are fully functional, under OSx86 (SL 10.5.6), used Kabyl's boot loader and managed to enable only one port at a time: MDP with ATI FB Alouatta or DVI port functional using Uakari.

Cannot get two monitors to work together under OSx86 (Samsung SyncMaster P2370 and Apple Cinema LED 27") while they work perfectly under Windows 7.

Could this card work without any Chameleon graphical support?

One more observation. Cinebench OpenGL test under Win7 is showing 59 fps while under OSx86 only 30 fps?!

I still don't understand what causes this discrepancy:

1) Better Win7 than Mac OSX driver.

2) OSx86 Chameleon support slows down graphics

3) Cinebench is behaving differently in two environments.

mishak

System: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Rev. 2

CPU: Intel Core i7 980X Extreme Edition Six-Core

Graphics: Apple ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB

Other Components: OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 3.5" 240G SSD (Mac OSX 10.6.5)

OCZ Vertex Limited Edition 100GB SSD (Windows 7 Ultimate)

Corsair Dominator GT 12GB DDR3 2000MHz

Corsair Gold AX750 750 W PSU

Apple Magic Trackpad

Apple Wired Keyboard

ASUS USB-BT21/B Bluetooth Dongle v2.0

Apple 27" LED Cinema Display

LIAN-LI PC-8FIB ATX Mid Tower Case

Does not work with ATI Raedeon Sapphire 5770 HD .. Graphics halt after load...

This is for Snow Leopard 10.6.* (Retail) O/S. Thanks for including your sig, makes solving this easier.

Read back through thread for some success with your GFx card.. :)

Cannot get two monitors to work together under OSx86 (Samsung SyncMaster P2370 and Apple Cinema LED 27") while they work perfectly under Windows 7.

Well that's weird I have no problem using 2 monitors linked via DVI, but I have no apple display and a different 5870 (check the signature).

I have no Idea and could not get any 64bit without kabyl, and as everyone here really waiting to have it included in the normal Chameleon

One more observation. Cinebench OpenGL test under Win7 is showing 59 fps while under OSx86 only 30 fps?!

I have the same results you got and I have been bragging around that the osx driver was not good but I think I read somewhere on the net about the Cinebench test result done with one of the August Mac pro and it was around 27fps, if I recall properly, so I guess the answer must be either 1 or 3 but I start thinking that is no 2 smile.gif

This is for Snow Leopard 10.6.* (Retail) O/S. Thanks for including your sig, makes solving this easier.

Read back through thread for some success with your GFx card.. :wub:

wow that sig is old . hah . I actually got this to work.. needed to turn on graphicsenabler the original post should've said that :)

Trying to get an ASUS EAH5670 512MB card working with no success with the loader.

The card has DVI-I, HDMI and VGA ports. I've tried plugging the monitor to DVi, VGA, DVI using a VGA adapter, HDMI using HDMI-DVI adapter with Vervet, Uakari and Baboon framebuffers, and both the PCI slots 1 and 2. The result is always that the display driver seems to fail in finding the card - when booting in verbose mode, the display updating stops at some point (no black or blue screen) and when booting using the graphic loader screen, the Apple logo with the round loader just never goes away. The HD is still loading something in the back, so the boot seems to continue fine.

I'm currently booted on another drive in the same machine. The only difference between the OS installations is that I dumped the ATI drivers altogether.

lspci reports:

---

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:68d8] (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device [1043:0370]

02:00.1 Audio device [0403]: ATI Technologies Inc Unknown device [1002:aa60]

Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Unknown device [1043:aa60]

----

ioreg dump attached: ioregdump_nodriver.ioreg.xml

I got Apple ATI Radeon HD 5870 to work in Hackintosh (configuration spec. bellow).

While all three ports under Win 7 are fully functional, under OSx86 (SL 10.5.6), used Kabyl's boot loader and managed to enable only one port at a time: MDP with ATI FB Alouatta or DVI port functional using Uakari.

mishak

System: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Rev. 2

CPU: Intel Core i7 980X Extreme Edition Six-Core

Graphics: Apple ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB

Other Components: OCZ Vertex 2 SATA II 3.5" 240G SSD (Mac OSX 10.6.5)

OCZ Vertex Limited Edition 100GB SSD (Windows 7 Ultimate)

Corsair Dominator GT 12GB DDR3 2000MHz

Corsair Gold AX750 750 W PSU

Apple Magic Trackpad

Apple Wired Keyboard

ASUS USB-BT21/B Bluetooth Dongle v2.0

Apple 27" LED Cinema Display

LIAN-LI PC-8FIB ATX Mid Tower Case

Thats strange...i get 35fps in Cinebench with my 5770 with Kabyl Booter, 64Bit on 10.6.5.

The same Result with ATY_INT.kext Method. I dont think it has anything to do with the Booter.

You can try a different smbios.plist. MacPro runs faster sometimes on some Systems

Well that's weird I have no problem using 2 monitors linked via DVI, but I have no apple display and a different 5870 (check the signature).

I have no Idea and could not get any 64bit without kabyl, and as everyone here really waiting to have it included in the normal Chameleon

I have the same results you got and I have been bragging around that the osx driver was not good but I think I read somewhere on the net about the Cinebench test result done with one of the August Mac pro and it was around 27fps, if I recall properly, so I guess the answer must be either 1 or 3 but I start thinking that is no 2 smile.gif

Thank you and other guys that responded to my message. This might help us all to get better understanding of what is happening. I did some more experimenting and here are some new findings.

1. Apple ATI Radeon HD 5870 in a brand new Mac Pro (entire system just came from Apple Dec 7, 2010 - no hacking at all) gets almost exactly the same rating by Cinebench under Mac OSX - 31.76 fps! While this is not a definite proof, it indicates that boot loader is not a problem.

2. When I installed new beta version of Gigabyte BIOS for my MB in Hackintosh both Cinebench tests (OpenGl and Processor) went further down drastically. OpenGl to 15 and Processor to 5 from 31 and 10 respectively!? No idea what happened but when I restored the older production version of BIOS, everything went back to normal.

3. I tried to get system working without Kabyl's boot loader and it does not work at all - despite the fact that video card is genuine Apple and supported OOB in 10.6.5.

4. Two ports do not work in my setup under any circumstances, even if I put two DVI monitors. Only in one case of Uakari setup I got some response from two monitors but they were not recognized as Syncmaster and video was distorted due to luck of proper resolution (1080p) while a number of inadequate resolutions was offered.

I hope Kabyl and the other guys who are developing graphics support can use these result to clarify some issues they are facing. Based on some of the results, maybe ATI, Apple, and guys that are developing Cinebench could also learn something.

I will keep reporting about the progress.

Cheers

@mishak:

If your ATI card is a genuine Apple card you can use the standard ATI frambuffer for this card. Use the option AtiFb=Langur (you can of course add this to your boot.plist), with kabyl's loader. This should solve your display problems.

Is it that you to dump your 5870 bios and post it please? It could allow other users to solve some problems too.

Thx.