ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

My HD 5870 is booting successfully with Kaybl's booter; Uakari is loaded automatically. When I enter AtiFb=Uakari at the boot prompt, my system gets to

kernel DSMOS has arrived

kernel ** Device in slot: SLOT--1 **

and freezes. There is nothing in the system log.

The same problem occurs with each FrameBuffer name I've tried. Any suggestions?

You may try to edit all boot prompt items in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist (such as AtiFb=xxxxxx, arch=x86_64, -v, etc.)

It can prevent your booting hanging or freeze.

I know this thread is for experienced users. Please help

I am learning fast

I have a laptop with dual 4870... took one out to install SL

Please explain what to do with the boot file.

I know I have to change the boot.plist with the graphics enabled just dont know where to put boot file

Thanks in advance

I am looking to get a 5870 this week to replace my 4890 on my hackintosh.

Three quick questions after reading through this forum before taking the plunge:

1. Any problems with running my Dell u2711 at full res 2560x1440 (saw a few posts w/high res issues here).

2. Are there any known "bad" 5870s, or 5870s to avoid due to incompatibilities? It seems like most work even the 6-port 2gb eyefinity versions but I don't want to buy the wrong brand or overclocked card if there are some known "don't buy this particular 5870 because it doesn't seem to work in OSX like brand X does..."

3. Cinebench scores seem to be kinda low right now ~30 not sure why, the new 2010 Mac Pro Hex's are scoring ~50. Is this possibly due to the Mac Pro's having Hex cores/lots of RAM vs. some lower specked hackintoshes here possibly with dual cores/lower specs or does it appear to be a slight incompatibility with the OSX driver + non Apple spec'd 5870?

Thanks guys, great progress so far.

Here are my specs:

Gigabyte X58A-UD5, Intel 930@3.53Ghz, 12GB RAM, ATI 4890, Vertex 2/Corsair Force SSDs, OSX and Win7x64, Dell U2711, Dell 2405.

You may try to edit all boot prompt items in /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist (such as AtiFb=xxxxxx, arch=x86_64, -v, etc.)

It can prevent your booting hanging or freeze.

Thanks. Actually, it boots perfectly from Extras/com.apple.Boot.plist. When Chameleon starts, I push a key to select which OS I want boot. At the boot prompt, I enter AtiFb=Uakari. Once I have entered the command the system hangs soon after DSMOS has arrived. I was trying to avoid editing ..com.apple.Boot.plist for every frame buffer. Perhaps the command is not supported at the boot prompt. Has anyone entered a frame buffer name at the boot prompt and successfully booted?

That's helpful too, your card is already in my list.

Thanks.

This is from System Profiler (using Chamelopn RC5 based on your work).

Name: ATY,Megalodon

Type: display

Driver Installed: Yes

Bus: PCI

Slot: Slot-1

Vendor ID: 0x1002

Device ID: 0x68f9

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1545

Subsystem ID: 0x5450

Revision ID: 0x0000

Link Width: x16

Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

Card is Visiontek AMD HD5450 512 MB DDR3 PCIe (Cedar Pro/Mobility Radeon HD5450; basically, a MR part in desktop PCIe clothes). This is with 10.6.3 installed (I'm wary of installing 10.6.4+Graphics Update 1.0 as I always get KPs in ATIRadeonX3000.kext).

Because the KPs are *always* in this kext, what's the procedure for properly modifying it?

concrete evidence for > 50 fr ? :)

Sorry I was mistaken, I checked the youtube video again and yes a fully decked out 2010 Mac Pro 12-core w/5870 scored just over 30:

Anyway if anyone knows if an overclocked MSI 5870 Lightning II will work I am thinking of getting that one and if there are known problems running dual monitors both at high res (2560x1440 and second monitor 1920x1200).

Sorry I was mistaken, I checked the youtube video again and yes a fully decked out 2010 Mac Pro 12-core w/5870 scored just over 30:

It's weird that the 5870 has such a low score. How much does CPU clock speed impact the OpenGL test in Cinebench? This score is for an overclocked 5850 on a 4.2GHz i7 950. If I wasn't lazy, I'd lower my OC and test. Sorry for the 'off-topic' post.

post-440440-1288010968_thumb.png

It's weird that the 5870 has such a low score. How much does CPU clock speed impact the OpenGL test in Cinebench? This score is for an overclocked 5850 on a 4.2GHz i7 950. If I wasn't lazy, I'd lower my OC and test. Sorry for the 'off-topic' post.

post-440440-1288010968_thumb.png

look at my HD 5770 Cinebench and OpenCl-database in my sig (i7 results stock and oc)

CPU and Ramspeed impacts the OpenGl results in Cinebench 11.5 by a high margin

Apple usually clocks cards lower than their PC counterparts by about 10 %

but their driver implementation a.t.m. is extremely weak

I am sure that with a little more time and a 64 bit win 7 100 fr. would be in reach. :-)

so far i had one run with 90,2 fr. @ 950/1400

and thats with a 100 Euro HD 5770 ...

My Benchmark Results HD 5870

64 bit, iMac 11,1, Stock Clocks, Uakari

Test Snow Win 7

CB/OGL 26.4 60.0

CB/CPU 5.55 5.50

GeekB 8931 7688

OoenCL Snow

LuxballM 6.6

LuxballU 22.8

SponzaU 27.9

Tried MacPro3,1, MacPro4,1, Zonalis. Result: No or little effect on performance

My Benchmark Results HD 5870

64 bit, iMac 11,1, Stock Clocks, Uakari

Test Snow Win 7

CB/OGL 26.4 60.0

CB/CPU 5.55 5.50

GeekB 8931 7688

OoenCL Snow

LuxballM 6.6

LuxballU 22.8

SponzaU 27.9

Tried MacPro3,1, MacPro4,1, Zonalis. Result: No or little effect on performance

these 5870 fly with OpenCL

you may search for "Starfire" its an OpenCl based H.264 videoencoder

it will be fun to see the encoding speed of this GPU

Has anyone had any success with two 5xxx series cards not of the same model type? Or two 5870s for that matter?

My 5970's been working fine for ages with this and Trauma's bootloader but I've recently picked up a 5870 for trifire and so as to hopefully get triple display working (it doesn't on the 5970).

Running with both of my cards in freezes during startup with:

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 64:87

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 88:111

Curiously, this is happing with GraphicsEnabler=no too and with both Kabyl and Trauma's bootloaders (with the rom files for both cards in the Extra folder too).

Yep, looks like sleep is not working anymore for now. Same goes for the Mohamed Khairy ATI booter.

Yeah, that's why I posted. Is there a problem re-enabling the graphics after sleep. The boot file gets the graphics working on boot but not again after sleep ?

Not a major issue but just thought is report it.