ATI Radeon HD6000, HD5000 and HD4000 series support in Chameleon

Kabyl

868 posts in this topic

Hi Kabyl,

Hi Trauma :)

For now I wasn't able to boot with the latest revision of the loader. I guess ROM injection is broken, cause drivers stuck the boot process. I've tried to UseAtiRom, but i didn't help. The ROM is loaded but looks like not injected. (I add this issue recently too).

Should be fixed now, thanks for investigating this.

One more thing, I have a 3400 card plugged in the computer, and ram calculation is false. It's look like it's using EVERGREEN_MEMESIZE reg insted of R600 reg. (I add this problem on my side too).

It's not an issue, the VRAM size is only shown in booter log, it's not added to the device-properties.

Did you received my PM's @ Voodoo's forum ? I've also continue to work on the injector on my side. Added few thing, and re-factored the code too. There stills lots off ugly things in my revision BTW. I'll can maybe help a little if you like.

Bye.

Yes, I did get many PMs while I was away -_-

There's 4 display channel injected on the 5770, while it's only support 3 displays. Beside the fact it has 4 connectors.

Those are connectors; Apple's card has 3 corresponding to the connectors, on eyefinity 6, which is fully working BTW, it has 6.

Hi Kabyl,

I replace my boot config, from your old boot to your new boot, and change AtiFb with AtiConfig, but I can't boot at all. It gets freezed.

I don't know what is happening, when I put the older one, works.

I need to do something extra in order to make it works.

I need to install the latest version of chameleon and replace with your boot? or replacing the old one with the new one is enough?

I don't know what to do...

Cheers.

I also have crush "You have to restart your system ..." with the new boot file - running on genuine Apple ATI Radeon 5870 card.

When I restored the old setup and boot file everything works perfectly again.

Hope this might help resolve the problem.

Thanks Kabyl for your effort.

Working again, thanks for the update Kabyl.

Using PCI-Root-UID value: 1
ATI card POSTed, reading VBIOS from legacy space
ATI Juniper ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB (Vervet) [1002:68b8] (subsys [1682:2991]):: PciRoot(0x1)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

Hi Kabil,

I've tried the new Dec 18 version and I regret to report that it didn't solve my problem. As before, I'm able to boot into OSX but there are no drivers/kext loaded for my card(s). I tried it with a single card and with 2 X-fired cards.

One odd thing though: with two X-fired cards the .rom file in my /Extra folder is NOT read even though I set the UseAtiROM key to Yes (with single card the .rom file is read). I attached the screenshots of the preboot below.

Again, if there's any additional info you may require I'll be most happy to supply it.

Thanks again for your work.

Greetz,

Bruno

EDIT 1

I attached the .ioreg file from my system (with X-fired ASUS ARES)

Archive.zip

Mac_Pro_OSx86.ioreg.zip

Good to know, but is better not discard anything yet.

The important thing now is, why some people can make it work and another people can't.

What could be the possible reason/s?

And another reflexion, the first version, with some minor problems, works reasonably good for almost all the people. And was tested a lot, for a long time. What is happening now? The test was not valid? Maybe some new code crashed something important. What were the changes in that new version apart of adding new cards and default values for some cards?

And one personal question. Is now possible (for the people that can work with this new version) to see in the system profile the information of the graphic card? Till now it were not possible.

Thanks guys.

Hello Kabyl,

Thanks for the update, at least works again for me. I don't know anything about the multimonitor setup, but looks that works for me exactly the same as before. That's great. Kabyl, could you please tell us what was happening? Just for curiosity.

But, there isn't any system profile information yet (in "pci cards" section), maybe is my fault and I need to configure something, or do you need to enable it?

Thanks again Kabyl, looks the reborn of the booter.

But, there isn't any system profile information yet (in "pci cards" section), maybe is my fault and I need to configure something, or do you need to enable it?

No, it's not your fault, but it's easy to add if you can't wait, it can be done in the DSDT.

I'll add this in the future, as wall as the properties needed for audio over HDMI for those who prefer using AppleHDA.

No, it's not your fault, but it's easy to add if you can't wait, it can be done in the DSDT.

I'll add this in the future, as wall as the properties needed for audio over HDMI for those who prefer using AppleHDA.

I can perfectly wait without any problem.

Good to know that you have more plans for your booter.

I can't wait to see that in the main trunk of chameleon.

Thank you very much for your hard work.

Hi Kabyl

Thank you very much for your working on ATi boot. I found one thing that was not correct for my EP45-UD3R.

before:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.67 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05

SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

after installed the latest boot:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 2.67 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache: 6 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Processor Interconnect Speed: 19.07 GT/s

Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05

SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

Hi Kabyl, got a question.

First of all thanx for your work on ATI support.

I've been using this version of boot for a while. Got nice result. System Profiler doen't give correct info.

Right now I'm using my own compiled version of your branch (v679). Better hardware support /recognition (System profiler all ok). BUT: System Performance is much lower than with old version.

My question: How? Where to discuss??

Thanx you !! . Rupke

Hi Kabyl,

Thank you for your great work, do you have plan to add support for 4350? At this moment it is not supported and for most people it doesn't work. I'm willing to test it if you need some feedback.

This works with a Asus Radeon HD 5570 EAH5570 SILENT/DI/1GD2 http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=NgyhGji4qX6FpFiO this is a fanless video card.

I'm using the VGA output, I didn't try DVI nor HDMI.

QE/CI is enabled. Works with kernel 32bits and 64bits.

No need to set AtiConfig, just set GraphicsEnabler to yes of course. However I get unusual blurred text (like if my LCD screen was not used with its native resolution). So I've tried several backends to see what happens:

- Eulemur -> works

- Flicker -> black screen

- Uakari -> black screen

- Vervet -> black screen

I end up using this tip in order to get fonts to look ok:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=774761

command line: defaults -currentHost write -globalDomain AppleFontSmoothing -int 2

Still movies have a strange dark looking, same for the water effect inside the dashboard. I've tried to calibrate the LCD display using Preferences/Display and this didn't helped. I don't have a solution for this yet.

Maybe by reinstalling Mac OS X from scratch since I did a lot of experimentations (was using an old Geforce 6600 before - btw this card works out of the box without any hacking).

Cinebench gives me 27fps and Call of Duty 4 works ok.

Thanks to everybody who contributes to the hackintosh scene!

Thanks very much for the updated boot file.

Having a very minor issue with the new version, system profiler now reports four display out ports on the card as opposed to the three functional ones (i.e. the combined HDMI / DVI port)

XFX 5870 is the card used. Screen shot, lspci output and reg dump attached.

Archive.zip

Hey Kabyl,

Thanks for your answers, and for the fix too. I've realized after posting that you've committed this amazing piece of code on the repo! It's really good looking, and i've retrieved lots of things from the xorg driver :) great job!

I add to uncomment few dev props in the ati.c i order to enable the frambuffer loading on the HD 3400 card. You at least need to inject "compatible" and "device_type" on top of "name".

From what i've seen injecting "VRAM,totalsize" can be helpful for people that can only use the frambuffer, once the hardware accelerator driver is loaded the RAM size is detected automatically. So i think it could be nice to inject that value too, at least for "unsupported" cards.

Cheers.

I have compiled chameleon today (r680) and put your boot file.

Arrived to desktop, screen is flickering with black screen and alternate with pixelated screen.

Specs in sig.

Thanks.

If this is what I think it is, try setting in com.apple.boot.plist 'Graphics Mode' parameter to the native resolution of your display. Eg. 2048x1152x32 or 192x1080x32, etc.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>2048x1152x32</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=x86_64 -v</string>
<key>RestartFix</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Theme</key>
<string>Default</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>3</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I've realized after posting that you've committed this amazing piece of code on the repo! It's really good looking, and i've retrieved lots of things from the xorg driver :) great job!

err yeh! sorry i thought it was already in chameleon trunk :mellow: - what do I know but it looks proper tidy :)

D

The performance for me is exactly the same as before.

Have you changed something in the settings?

no performance change here. still around 31 - 32 fps in cinebench opengl test.

EDIT - obviously using Kabyls booter compiled from source on 19th Dec

D

no performance change here. still around 31 - 32 fps in cinebench opengl test.

D

That's insane that I have less performance than you with a much better card and setup. I get like 29,7 fps in cinebench.

I think that x58 chipset drivers are not properly tweaked or I don't understand. Congrats :).

I remember with my old EP45-UD3R motherboard I got more performance than now in some aspects.

As I said, I don't undersand.

Cheers.

That's insane that I have less performance than you with a much better card and setup. I get like 29,7 fps in cinebench.

I think that x58 chipset drivers are not properly tweaked or I don't understand. Congrats :) .

I remember with my old EP45-UD3R motherboard I got more performance than now in some aspects.

As I said, I don't undersand.

Cheers.

Yeh I've read about you guys with 58xx not having sucha good time!

What do you get with cinebench in windows (7 x64 if you have?)?

D