Chameleon 2.4svn Official PKG Installer

ErmaC
4,261 posts in this topic

Firstly thanks for all your work here & elsewhere. Although Linux is all new to me I'm not sure having the installer exit

when it finds GRUB is the right thing to do.

Hi iBdb

The latest installer I am working on exits, for now, when it detects a GRUB disk signature to prevent doing anything untoward which I don't know about yet.. I've never installed GRUB on my hack and I need to do so to learn about it before working out the best way for any future installer to work with it. I also need to find some time to read the GRUB/LILO manual for more info.

From what I have read in Multi boot threads here & elsewhere Chameleon

handles Multi booting with GRUB very well 'Providing GRUB has been 1/ installed to the Linux partition (has to be forced

to do this), then 2/ Chameleon is re=installed after..

Yep. I've sen a few posts saying that Chameleon will present the Linux install in the GUI only if GRUB is installed on the same partition and not to the disk's MBR.

I've also become aware of some people looking into possibly using Chameleon via EFI install to multi boot Win xp &

Linux (without OSX) so setting up to exit on GRUB would stop any development there.

I guess in that case XP is on a separate HDD? as the EFI system partition is only available when using a GUID partition table and as far as I'm aware, XP doesn't support support GPT? but to be honest, I haven't used XP since I've started with hackintosh so I've never had to try it. But thanks for the info..

So i wonder how i may reset my hdd again after your package install so i can recover back the boot up to vista showing the boot menu again?

If you want to use the Windows bootloader then re-install it from the Windows disc using the repair option. Windows should then update the MBR to how it likes it.

@Leo X,

This is because the installer installed boot0hfs.

- The installer will automatically installed boot0hfs if it found Windows is installed.

- The installer writes boot0hfs to the first 440 bytes of the MBR so as not to destroy any existing Windows code. This means your Windows partition still active/boot partition. This way sleep & hibernate still work in Windows.

- boot0hfs searches for boot1h on the first partition, regardless of active flag.

- The installer does not set active partition if it found Windows is installed.

You can set default partition to Windows partition in com.apple.Boot.plist, for example like this:-

<key>Default Partition</key>
 <string>hd(0,3)</string>

This way it will always boot to Windows by default. Of course you will need to add Timeout in com.apple.Boot.plist.

If you still want your Windows handle the boot, you'll need to install boot0 (assuming target disk is disk0):-

EDIT: Or you can follow blackosx advice. :P

hello, i´ve got a problem.

i played around and lost my timeout at boot and i can´t change the boot theme anymore.

i tried to edit my com.apple.boot.plist in extra but no changes. i have to promt at boottime.

thx in advance for your help.

solved, it was my boot0hfs

Tried standard install (r643) onto GPT partitioned USB stick containing dumped Snow Leopard 10.6.3 install DVD.

The install went fine, the stick is bootable, but com.apple.Boot.plist inside Extra is empty even though I selected some boot options during install (resolution, p and c states, gfxenabler, etc...)

Any logical reason for this behavior?

EDIT:

to correct my statement above - the stick is NOT BOOTABLE after chameleon install.

i thought it was, but actually bios couldn't boot it and booted my other stick (also chameleon).

after i removed my other stick it couldn't boot (blinking cursor.)

i guess it has something to do with GPT. will try tomorrow with MBR scheme.

The problem seems to be this trunk install a new com.apple.boot.plist at least on some configs/mobos so be sure to backup/copy the one you already have incase this happens to you too.

Edit: I´m rebooting the Asus P6T-SE mobo right now with my old cam.apple.boot.plist and this time it seems it works ok.

TEST VERSION (Again V1)

Same system as previus version

I just update the compiled binaries with last trunk version 643

NEW Icon thanks to RASONE!

Fabio

Hi Fabio

Looking at the logs from the latest installer you posted, fdisk440 is not being found so it can't successfully write the stage 0 loader (boot0 / boot0hfs) or set the active partition.

PS. Nice icon and RASONE has done a great job with it.. Sorry for not coming back to you with it myself. I had started on it but not finished it, though TBH it wasn't looking as good as the one by RASONE. :)

Tried standard install (r643) onto GPT partitioned USB stick containing dumped Snow Leopard 10.6.3 install DVD.

The install went fine, the stick is bootable, but com.apple.Boot.plist inside Extra is empty even though I selected some boot options during install (resolution, p and c states, gfxenabler, etc...)

Any logical reason for this behavior?

EDIT:

to correct my statement above - the stick is NOT BOOTABLE after chameleon install.

i thought it was, but actually bios couldn't boot it and booted my other stick (also chameleon).

after i removed my other stick it couldn't boot (blinking cursor.)

i guess it has something to do with GPT. will try tomorrow with MBR scheme.

Tried today the same thing with the MBR partition table on my USB stick and results are the same.

No error during chameleon installation, but the stick is NOT BOOTABLE (blinking cursor), and com.apple.Boot.plist inside Extra is empty.

I guess r643 is not ready yet...

EDIT:

this is getting weirder and weirder.

i just re-partitioned my stick as MBR, dumped 10.6.3 DVD onto it (via disk utility), and tried the chameleon installer, but this time r629.

again, no error in installer, no boot (blinking cursor), and Boot.plist is empty. WTF?!?!

Well I´m using it on two comps so in a way it do work. On my GA EP45-DS3 mobo I just installed it and all is good to go, no needs for no tweaks. On my Asus P6T-SE mobo it replaced my com.apple .boot.plist but once I replaced it with the old plist it works again. Got a drop in geekbench from 9111 to 9099 though.

Hi Guys,I've succesfully updated to the latest build (643) on my EFI partition trough the installer method.

What it doesn't work is the EFI mounter... when it asks to select the proper efi partition (i have 2 HD in GPT), and when i choose the correct one it mounts a ghost EFI folder. I've attached a little screenshot.

When i mount the partition by the terminal method clearly works perfect.

I don't know if this is related to the fact that almost every reboot the snow HD change position, for example now is disk1 but maybe next it became disk2 or disk0...

tnx for the attention and sorry for english

post-449896-1290368107_thumb.png

Well I´m using it on two comps so in a way it do work. On my GA EP45-DS3 mobo I just installed it and all is good to go, no needs for no tweaks. On my Asus P6T-SE mobo it replaced my com.apple .boot.plist but once I replaced it with the old plist it works again. Got a drop in geekbench from 9111 to 9099 though.

Don't take always benchmarks for true... if you do two sessions of benchmark one after the other you will take always two different scores... little changes like that are IMHO normal. :(

i have been testing the unofficial installer since the pstate and cstate fixes on my P5Q Pro, C2D E8500 o/c to 4.3 ghz with evga 9800 gt and has worked well in dropping my temps. I updated to 10.65 and i thought it broke my restart and sleep (on 10.64 everything was working, auto sleep, wake and restart)

I was messing with my system this w/e and tried many different kext, dsdt hacks and nothing. restart and sleep broke! then i decided to test the AnVav's acpi loader v.4 and i'm back to 100% working again. sleep, wake and restart all working without any kext again!! but my temps are a little high (i can live with that, hopefully a new build will resolve the temp issue or restart sleep issue)

Update: gone back to Chameleon_2.0_RC5_r599 (all i had on my computer) and all is fine. replaced the AnVav's boot file and my geekbench scores are back to normal (dropped 2000 points with AnVav's boot file)

thank you for all the hard work

643 is not working for me, I now get a "b1f:error" on boot. I've tried reinstalling 619 but I still get the same error. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Installed rev.643 this evening and here is what I found:

- UseAtiROM works great, however I lost HDMI out as my ATi 5770HD is now stuck using Motmot FB, when it should use Vervet. System Profiler also reports my card as simply 5700 series. Using the Vervet boot file from Mohamed reports the card correctly, and all displays work. Adding the bootflag AtiFb=X would be a great feature in the next release (as would auto-detect of the Ati ROM from the card).

- Everything else works and reports flawlessly; nothing is broken and functionality has not been affected. Installation went smoothly with no problems.

I don't know if this fits in the thread...

After installing r629 I get Chameleon RC5 r486 at startup...?

Is that OK / normal / usual ?

(It was a fresh install on a newly partitioned disk.)

Otherwise the system runs great. Using Kabyl's boot, no flag for AtiFb - Sapphire 5970 gets detected as Uakari in IOReg.

Not sure if this is Chamelion or something else doing this but I am using a patched dsdt and everything works perfect with my smbios set to MacPro3,1 but if I change it to MacPro4,1 or 5,1 it will lock at boot and just sits there. I have attached a screen shot of this. I am running an Intel i7 980X

post-687566-1290618067_thumb.png

i got kernel panic on 10.6.5 using 10.5 kernel(amd phenom). i tried to install rc4 back but still rc5 when reboot. how to remove rc5 and to install rc4 back?

@ acik84

PLEASE specific your Hardware and "where" you install the bootloader...

A Hard Disk with 'Mac OS Extended' with GUID partition table? .. EFI partition????

A Hard Disk with 'MS-DOS (FAT)' with GUID partition table?

A Hard Disk with 'MS-DOS (FAT)' with Master Boot Record(MBR)?

On a USB device?????

so please we need more info.... the latest pkg have reported problem with some partition installation scheme...

Fabio