Chameleon 2.4svn Official PKG Installer

ErmaC
4,261 posts in this topic

So I'm not sure why, but your 2.1.2 installer...COMPLETELY WIPED my boot drive and my storage drive. Clicked to install standard and hide. started to go, then stuff started vanishing, system started to hang. All while the installer sat at 99% "running scripts"....which I assume are to erase EVERYTHING...then system rebooted to boot0 error.

I booted to my Win 7 partition via USB thumb drive, to find my storage drive at 930GB free! yipee..or NOT.

I can still see the files using Data Rescue, but come on man...Really?

Thankfully it didn't touch my Time Machine Drive

Please nobody get cross with me I'm not having a go at anyone, just making an observation.

Something I don't understand is why people are experimenting with any 'Unofficial' installer on their MAIN systems, that by all accounts are working and not test systems so contain important data?

Would it not be better to set up a dedicated HDD with different partitioning schemes and OSs to try it out first. Hard drives are so cheap nowadays.

The guys developing this installer are being very patient with the 'Oh no, it broke my system'! type comments. I think everyone should take a step back and think hard about what they may loose if something goes wrong with a point and click installer given the variety of system layouts we all have and use a TEST SYSTEM first!

I'm not involved in this or any development within OSX86 world so as a simple user I feel unabashed to state the above.

It just seems to be getting out of control and too Windows .exe [click click click next OK] like. Take a deep breath have a beer and chill B) for a bit and think carefully before clicking INSTALL :o

Read and heed the Warning and Advice in the installer! :)

Please nobody get cross with me I'm not having a go at anyone, just making an observation.

Something I don't understand is why people are experimenting with any 'Unofficial' installer on their MAIN systems, that by all accounts are working and not test systems so contain important data?

Would it not be better to set up a dedicated HDD with different partitioning schemes and OSs to try it out first. Hard drives are so cheap nowadays.

The guys developing this installer are being very patient with the 'Oh no, it broke my system'! type comments. I think everyone should take a step back and think hard about what they may loose if something goes wrong with a point and click installer given the variety of system layouts we all have and use a TEST SYSTEM first!

I'm not involved in this or any development within OSX86 world so as a simple user I feel unabashed to state the above.

It just seems to be getting out of control and too Windows .exe [click click click next OK] like. Take a deep breath have a beer and chill B) for a bit and think carefully before clicking INSTALL :o

Read and heed the Warning and Advice in the installer! :excl:

Amen!

Two machines have lost data from the v2.1b, 2.1.1b and 2.1.2b installers therefore I have pulled the installer. To anybody who has downloaded them, please delete it and do not use.

Hearing jlvaio posting about losing his data was not good for me, from which point I looked at the code and fixed a bug which I thought might have caused the problem. But there is clearly an issue with a script somewhere else and now since kramer2k has reported data loss with the revised version then that's too many for me. Therefore you will not see anymore installers from me until I am certain any issues have been sorted.

All I can do is apologise to jlvaio & kramer2k for their loss but at the same time we all have to understand the common sense to what silverfir has said in that this is a work-in-progress, test installer clearly emblazoned with a large red notice about the possibility of messing up your system.

My local tests haven't yet reproduced the effects seen by jlvaio & kramer2k, so if I am to continue development I first need to understand exactly what went wrong. Question to kramer2k - Can you post details of the disk layout you pointed the installer to? did it use a GUID or MBR partition scheme? which partition did you choose to install to and what format it was? do you remember exactly what files/folders were at the root of your boot drive? and can you verify you just click standard and hide options and no other options?

Thanks for that warning. Does all the known wiped disks belomg to GPT users or also some MBR user had this problem too?

Can it be, and i think thats the only way of those massive wiping problem, some of the rm -R shell commands , used to clean up ./cameleon or other temp stuff does wrong things (used like rm -R / ) ?

I dont believe its the ditto part (install the boot loader parts itself).

Why is ditto command used also to copy normal folder content /Extra to /ExtraBackup ( found in some of the script).

Hi mitch_de - Thanks for your input.

Would it be possible to tell or inject some code that the orig. Apple OS X DVD see the found HDs (Volumes) for install are all GPT/GUID (Apple) Partition type to allow the install - even they are MBR type?

For me the only reason - Install with orig Disk (no need to patch the .pkg) to use that Apple Partition type (with that hidden EFI partition workaround).

I understand what you're asking and it sounds great but I don't know if that's possible - I guess if it was then somebody would have done it already? But maybe somebody more knowledgable than me can give a better answer.

Does all the known wiped disks belomg to GPT users or also some MBR user had this problem too?

I don't know yet. Hopefully I can hear back from kramer2k to give some more info to help.

Can it be, and i think thats the only way of those massive wiping problem, some of the rm -R shell commands , used to clean up ./cameleon or other temp stuff does wrong things (used like rm -R / ) ?

Yes, the problem has to be one of the rm commands that's doing the damage.

I dont believe its the ditto part (install the boot loader parts itself).

Why is ditto command used also to copy normal folder content /Extra to /ExtraBackup ( found in some of the script).

The cp command is used to copy /Extra to /ExtraBackup.

The ditto command was used to merge the temporary /Extra folder generated by the installer with an existing /Extra folder. But for v2.1.2b an existing /Extra folder would be backed up and removed before copying the temporary /Extra folder so I guess ditto is no longer needed in that situation.

yo

because my computer is unavaillable i don t have access to the web when i want

what i have:

actually with a friend live cd of xp i had saved some data from my vista user but the user had hidden state selected

after i used my vaio recovery dvd (vista)but after choosing language he doesn t see the system and after he doesn t want to restore or format the entire system or just c/

i have access to disk utility with a ideneb 10.5.4 that doesnt work for me(install mode) maybe because there no drivers appleviatta i think not sure

disk utility don t see the name of c/ just disk1os2 or something like this but no any other problem

i think one of the problem is that i have no applebootplist so i can t restore the boot from vista because i don t have access to i have acces to no bootloader from vista yesterday i have access to

vista boot menu and when i choose i had message windows/system32/winload.exe

what does this installer ?why my vista is screwed like this ?what can i do to rescue my partition and system

thank you

:)

what does this installer ?why my vista is screwed like this ?what can i do to rescue my partition and system

You started by saying:

I've tried the new installer and lost my data

I haved vista +another ntfs partition+10.5.8 +another hfs partition+1 fat32 partition on two sata raid disk.

So am I safe to say you were using a GPT/MBR partition scheme which would have looked something like this?

/dev/disk0
  #:					  TYPE   NAME	   SIZE	IDENTIFIER
  0:	GUID_partition_scheme			   ? GB	disk0
  1:					  EFI			   200 MB  disk0s1
  2:	 Microsoft Basic Data	VISTA	  ? GB	disk0s2
  3:	 Microsoft Basic Data	xxx		? GB	disk0s3
  4:				Apple_HFS	OSX10.5.8  ? GB	disk0s4
  5:				Apple_HFS	xxx		? GB	disk0s5
  6:					FAT32	xxx		? GB	disk0s6

I'm guessing when you ran the installer you would have pointed it to your Leopard partition, disk0s4 ?

The installer would have spotted you had windows installed and would have written Chameleon's boot0hfs to the first 440 bytes of your disks MBR, leaving your Windows disk signature intact on the MBR. Next it would have written Chameleon's boot01h to the boot sector of disk0s4 then written 'boot' to the root of your OSX10.5.8 partition.

Unfortunately it then went wrong and continued to erase data from your OSX10.5.8 partition?

You then said:

i can t boot on windows

i use standard install for chameleon and when installer execute postflight script i see there s no more app in aplication they all disapeared preference disapeard too no system profiler but i could explore the windows partition that s all i can said

So you could still read the windows partition. Was that your Vista partition - disk0s2 ? In which case I can say they data on the vista disk was still intact. What happened when you tried to boot Windows at this point?

You then go on to say:

actually with a friend live cd of xp i had saved some data from my vista user but the user had hidden state selected

after i used my vaio recovery dvd (vista)but after choosing language he doesn t see the system and after he doesn t want to restore or format the entire system or just c/

So you booted from a live cd and saved some data? then tried running a VAIO recovery DVD which failed.

Have you tried an actual vista repair disc?

http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vist...-disc-download/

Before doing any more though, I would take the HDD out from your machine and put it in to another machine and try to rescue as much data as possible off the disk.

advancement

sorry if my english is low

i ve tried many things

download kalyway

restore partion with disk utility

reinstall over 10.5.8 without formating have a grey screen at reboot with the install disc and no start option menu

after try ultimate cd ubcd use fisk app set c./ to partition active restart

use recovery vaio now vista seen restore start

restart __vista boot menu shows: vista or mac os x i choose vista :works restart:coose mac os x :vista ask me to put the recovery dvd and restart i don' t do

so now i have vista partition working but cant go to osx

i have macdrive installed

what can i do to have run osx partition now

and for the grey screen can it be the conflict upon 10.5.2 kalyway and geforce 10.5.8 driver

thank for your good reply :)

do i reinstall kalyway another time with formating

ps after kalyway installation i have boot message: hfs+ partition error

use recovery vaio now vista seen restore start

restart __vista boot menu shows: vista or mac os x i choose vista :works

ps after kalyway installation i have boot message: hfs+ partition error

Hi jlvaio

Don't worry about your English, it's okay :)

I see you've restored Vista, well done.. As for the hfs+ partition error, I think you just have to update your MBR code using the fdisk -u command in terminal.

The easiest way to show you might be this youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uavcyF0BMA

If you've only one hard drive then your drive will be rdisk0. So the command for you to run in Terminal will be:

fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0

but if you have more than one HDD then your should find out which number it is by typing:

diskutil list

in Terminal.

Hi jlvaio

Don't worry about your English, it's okay :)

I see you've restored Vista, well done.. As for the hfs+ partition error, I think you just have to update your MBR code using the fdisk -u command in terminal.

The easiest way to show you might be this youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uavcyF0BMA

If you've only one hard drive then your drive will be rdisk0. So the command for you to run in Terminal will be:

fdisk -u /dev/rdisk0

but if you have more than one HDD then your should find out which number it is by typing:

diskutil list

in Terminal.

new problem:

my hdd:

2x250 sata

partiitions on 1st:

1hidden sony (not sure)

1vista

1osx

2nd hdd:

1 hfs

1ntfs

1fat32

problem is in vista i don t see fat 32 showing in computer

so i look into admin and it show the fat fat 32 without name and said fre space but i don t remind have formated it ...

don t know if i can restore this fat 32 to retrieve data..

other things after doing some save

i have reinstalled kalyway but because i don t reboot on it i haven't define user panel or paswords so do i need a password to use terminal to use the tricks you suggest

anyway to create user panel via macdrive or not?

if not needed nevermind the question

:unsure:

edit :

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.ph...DualBoot_10.5.2

i found this tricks under"booting"paragraph

that seems to be easyest than the video do you think that can do the job?

Two machines have lost data from the v2.1b, 2.1.1b and 2.1.2b installers therefore I have pulled the installer. To anybody who has downloaded them, please delete it and do not use.

Hearing jlvaio posting about losing his data was not good for me, from which point I looked at the code and fixed a bug which I thought might have caused the problem. But there is clearly an issue with a script somewhere else and now since kramer2k has reported data loss with the revised version then that's too many for me. Therefore you will not see anymore installers from me until I am certain any issues have been sorted.

All I can do is apologise to jlvaio & kramer2k for their loss but at the same time we all have to understand the common sense to what silverfir has said in that this is a work-in-progress, test installer clearly emblazoned with a large red notice about the possibility of messing up your system.

My local tests haven't yet reproduced the effects seen by jlvaio & kramer2k, so if I am to continue development I first need to understand exactly what went wrong. Question to kramer2k - Can you post details of the disk layout you pointed the installer to? did it use a GUID or MBR partition scheme? which partition did you choose to install to and what format it was? do you remember exactly what files/folders were at the root of your boot drive? and can you verify you just click standard and hide options and no other options?

It's no problem, just a little hassle with restoring from my TM. This is not something new nor unexpected, as this is why I have backups (I have lost entire boot drives before!).

Anywho, here goes....

I can verify that I clicked Standard and Hide on my primary OSX installation, named Mac HD

At the root I had an /Extra folder and just the standard osx root folders

GUID boot off of an 80GB intel X2, split into 2 40GB partitions, one for OSX, one for win 7

Data drive is a Samsung 1TB, also GUID

Time machine is a second Samsung 1TB, GUID, but this was not touched.

Read and heed the Warning and Advice in the installer! :excl:

Please don't take my original post as an "Oh Noez" type of post. I was simply stating what happened (albeit with a little shock that it actually DID happen).

I am fully aware of the risks of using unofficial installers, heck, we ARE running OSX on unofficial machines, so that in and of itself is a risk...hence, backup, backup, backup

my hdd:

2x250 sata

partiitions on 1st:

1hidden sony (not sure)

1vista

1osx

2nd hdd:

1 hfs

1ntfs

1fat32

@jlvaio

I still haven't really got an understanding of your system, what hardware you're running or your actual disk layout as I now see a sort of disk arrangement which is a bit different from the question I presented you with previously…

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1594670

And also in that last previous post, I asked which partition do you point the installer at? I am struggling to work out exactly what happened when you ran the installer.

problem is in vista i don t see fat 32 showing in computer

so i look into admin and it show the fat fat 32 without name and said fre space but i don t remind have formated it ...

don t know if i can restore this fat 32 to retrieve data..

Did you take my advice and try plugging your hard drives in to a different machine to see what data you can rescue from there before trying any other rescue procedures?

other things after doing some save

i have reinstalled kalyway...

../snip/..

i found this tricks under"booting"paragraph

If you have managed to recover the data from your 1st disk, with Vista and OSX, and are attempting to re-build your system, then why not re-format the hard drive and start again? You say you have the Vista DVD which you can use to re-install and why not try a retail installation with Snow Leopard? rather than using an outdated OS X distro? There are many up-to-date dual boot guides out there now which can help you.

If you have any more questions then please contact me via PM to keep iFabio's thread on topic. If I can help I will.

---------------------------------

It's no problem, just a little hassle with restoring from my TM. This is not something new nor unexpected, as this is why I have backups (I have lost entire boot drives before!).

Hi kramer2k - Thanks for being so understanding.

I can verify that I clicked Standard and Hide on my primary OSX installation, named Mac HD

At the root I had an /Extra folder and just the standard osx root folders

GUID boot off of an 80GB intel X2, split into 2 40GB partitions, one for OSX, one for win 7

Data drive is a Samsung 1TB, also GUID

Time machine is a second Samsung 1TB, GUID, but this was not touched.

and thanks for also giving some more info.

Any chance you could supply a diskutil list result? but only of course if your disk structure is the same now as it was when you ran the installer.

---------------------------------

@iFabio

Apologies for seemingly taking over your thread here, but I just wanted to gain as much info as I can about the installer issue with jlvaio and kramer2k. If you prefer I take it all to PM then I will.

@iFabio

Apologies for seemingly taking over your thread here, but I just wanted to gain as much info as I can about the installer issue with jlvaio and kramer2k. If you prefer I take it all to PM then I will.

Do not worry, get information on how to repair, we can find it useful.

At present we have a simple installer that works ...

But thanks to the research you are doing you will be able to have an installer that allows the setting on EFI partitions and maybe even on software RAID in the future, without having to do it manually.

Personally, I could send a simple installer for each increment of the trunk, but there is not creativity and commitment on the part of those who want to grow this project.

My idea is to manage to fix the original scripts so that end users can download the latest source and compile the installer itself... this trend/topic is maybe the way to find this thinking, so the "danger" experiments are part of the risk...

NO TEST??? = NO RESULT!!!

So you are completely welcome here with this :rolleyes:

No problem then.

(Don't kill me for my English)

Fabio

My idea is to manage to fix the original scripts so that end users can download the latest source and compile the installer itself...

That's a good plan. Did you find time to look at seeing if the package I've been putting together can be slipstreamed in to the buildpkg command somehow? I haven't looked at that side of the project and probably won't do until I am happy the installer is fully working, but I have a way to go yet with adding things like RAID and a few more ideas yet, but the bug fixing of the current code needs to take priority for now.

this trend/topic is maybe the way to find this thinking, so the "danger" experiments are part of the risk...

NO TEST??? = NO RESULT!!!

Yes. There's always a danger with the package install testing but I try to test many possible scenarios before releasing a package. Thing is, there are only so many scenarios that I can come up with on my system and that's why I asked you to help by opening up the testing here. For the next version I release I will make sure I emphasise more strongly the message about the risk of bugs.

So you are completely welcome here with this :D

Thanks Fabio

And good job with tidying up the front page. :)

cosmos-mac-pro:~ Cosmo$ diskutil list
/dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*80.0 GB	disk0
  1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk0s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS Mac HD				  39.9 GB	disk0s2
  3:	   Microsoft Basic Data Windows 7			   39.7 GB	disk0s3
/dev/disk1
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*1.0 TB	 disk1
  1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk1s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS My Files				999.9 GB   disk1s2
/dev/disk2
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*1.0 TB	 disk2
  1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk2s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS Time Machine			999.9 GB   disk2s2

@blacklosx

hi

sorry for long delay but i tried to catch my osx partition by the way of the video but because i m not friendly with terminal and console so i ve tried to do it with app like fdisk extended and easybcd who had and option for hfs+ errorand seems to recognize osx but i failed i think maybe because i have no password for osx because i have n t restart the system since formating and reinstall i 've not a lot actually time because i work with my computer

i agree you work on the problem and try to see what happen :

as long as i remember

i choose in th menu:

standart install +new fakesmc d'nt remember what are the next options

i remind that the process was very long and ask me two or 3 time for passwords more than an hour

and when i realize something happen i ve tried to plug external disk to save data but not recognize

my app folder was erased icould see datas on vista system but couldn t deplace chameleon boot files and s/l/e disapears after i restart and nothing

you suggest that i use 10.6.5

i think i could but i m user on vaio and don t know what distro i can use best becauseof it s a vaio

the problem of internal screen is not completed yet on snow and i don t have things like wifi ,all my sound cards at the same time webcam works sometimes sometimes not i have no driver for card reader

no brightness control i lost many time of my life with osx because i m already noob and many things i don t understand nicely and clearly like terminal, console, dsdt

and other thing i would keep my 10.5.8 install and i veread that many chameleon are for snow or leo but not together but i really like

i hope there were success from this thread:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...8556&st=380

other thing

do you think it s possible to make a kind of livecd or installer to repair the osx86 partition problem or configuring it at boot to write partition to vista loader or seven it s different but i see in easy bcd i see there a option for hfs+ error don t seem to work for me

because the problem is very impressive for noob like me and other ,ok we can say if you use osx86 you must know how to ..

but ...ok i have to retry to catch my osx partition because tomorow i' ll start to be busy maybe next week i can response to many answer

for the fat 32 don t know what to say i think the partition is erse d on t know what happen i don t think i had important things on it

could you give me the advice for next chameleon i can use or must use for this vaio vgn-ar61zu ?

i was using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] because someone was saying it was nice a time for vaio i haven t tryed the new one i was using anval with installer a time would like to use this but don t know if it s really good to vaio injection

don t know if it s important i run vanilla i have the same config of a macbook pro4.1 but with sata and more sound feathure the only thing for applesmbios i use latestnetkassmbios

Though is not perfect it is the only applesmbios i ve used with much feathure working

Can it be a reason that screw the install of mem /pstate?

do you know another that do the job?

here s my config:

http://tuxmobil.de/sony_vgn_ar61zu_debian_...stallation.html

;)

@blacklosx

hi

sorry for long delay...snip

Question, are the recovery disk/s you are using the ones created from your Viao Latop? Although you will loose everything, you should be able to restore the Laptop to Factory state and start again.

If you do not have these disk/s and the MBR is changed along with the partitioning scheme on the hard drive/s, you will not be able to use the Recovery Partition located on the FAT32 partition, I'm guessing that is what you have noticed. There may be ways of restoring the F10 (I believe it's that) access to the System Recovery.

If the FAT32 partion is indeed the Sony Vaio Windows Vista Recovery Partition you may still be able to get the laptop back to factory condition.

There are many discussions about this on the internet and although I hate to say it, Google may well be your best friend in this regard. Good Luck. :)