Chameleon 2.4svn Official PKG Installer

ErmaC
4,261 posts in this topic

How do I install just a new boot file?

I just installed Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r643 and my display finally changed from 1024x768 to 1400x1050 (don't know why it didn't go to it's full 1680x1050 res). I'm using Apple's own ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card.

I want to install Kabyl's boot, but I don't know how to do that (I know how you do the manual install of Chameleon using terminal but I'm afraid I'll mess up my Chameleon if I try to guess which commands to use just to install a new boot)

Can someone provide complete, simple, step-by-step instruction regarding how to install the Kabyl boot file?

Thanks

How do I install just a new boot file?

I just installed Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r643 and my display finally changed from 1024x768 to 1400x1050 (don't know why it didn't go to it's full 1680x1050 res). I'm using Apple's own ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics card.

I want to install Kabyl's boot, but I don't know how to do that (I know how you do the manual install of Chameleon using terminal but I'm afraid I'll mess up my Chameleon if I try to guess which commands to use just to install a new boot)

Can someone provide complete, simple, step-by-step instruction regarding how to install the Kabyl boot file?

Thanks

copy the boot(kabyl) into your / (overwrite existing old)

from terminal:

sudo -s (then your password)

cp path/where/is/located/the/Kabyl's/boot /boot

Fabio

Hi Ifabio

In the latest version which u have added GT 430 to GraphicsEnabler it detects the 512 mb memory for it, however it is 1024 mb... I think you can consider this as bug.

just a note: I'm not a developer, and my knowledge with language program is very low!

- last trunk 643 info

mozodojo: Added nVidia GTS 450, GT 430, GTX 580, Quadro 4000 support to GraphicsEnabler

So... I just build the installer with compiled binaries but I not add nothing ;)

This is probably an issue, not related with the installer.

PLS report it

or maybe if a Voodoo developer take a look on it... can "fix" it...

Fabio

copy the boot(kabyl) into your / (overwrite existing old)

from terminal:

sudo -s (then your password)

cp path/where/is/located/the/Kabyl's/boot /boot

My Kabyl Boot file is on the desktop of my SnowLeopard. What exactly should my path in terminal be?

/dev/disk2

#:........TYPE NAME............SIZE.....IDENTIFIER

0:....GUID_partition_scheme...*2.0 TB....disk2

1:....EFI....................209.7 MB....disk2s1

2:....Apple_HFS Snow Leopard...1.8 TB....disk2s2

My Kabyl Boot file is on the desktop of my SnowLeopard. What exactly should my path in terminal be?

/dev/disk2

#:........TYPE NAME............SIZE.....IDENTIFIER

0:....GUID_partition_scheme...*2.0 TB....disk2

1:....EFI....................209.7 MB....disk2s1

2:....Apple_HFS Snow Leopard...1.8 TB....disk2s2

;)

I suppose you boot from disk2s2...

so no EFI partition or simila... normal booting..

1) opern terminal

2) sudo -s

3) cp SPACE* (drag with the mouse the boot file into terminal windows) SPACE* /boot

4) enjoy

* for SPACE press space bar on your keyboard

Fabio

blink.gif

I suppose you boot from disk2s2...

so no EFI partition or simila... normal booting..

1) opern terminal

2) sudo -s

3) cp SPACE* (drag with the mouse the boot file into terminal windows) SPACE* /boot

4) enjoy

* for SPACE press space bar on your keyboard

Fabio

I think my EFI partition where the Chameleon boot lives is disk2s1, is it not? Or is Root in the disk2s2 partition labeled Apple_HFS Snow Leopard

I tried your steps, rebooted, and nothing seems to have changed. My display resolution is still 1400x1050, and "About This Mac">More Info>Graphics/Displays still says:

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x1

VRAM (Total): 512 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68b8

Revision ID: 0x0000

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1400 x 1050

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Shouldn't the Display info change to something that says ATI Radeon 5770?

BTW, I appreciate your help and patience in assisting me with my display/boot problem.

Thanks.

Where you install the bootloader the first time?

on EFI "partition" disk2s1 or dosk2s2 partition?

the boot file need to replace with it.

Fabio

I have 2 SL partitions on disk2

disk2s2 is my main SnowLeopard partition that I'm trying to get working

disk2s3 is a mini SL partition that I only use when I've messed up the main SnowLeopard and it won't load

When I installed the Chameleon 2.0 RC5 rev 643 the DMG file asked where I wanted to install and the choices were "Main Snow Leopard" or "Mini SL" and I selected "Main (so I didn't actually use terminal to specify partitions)

When I do a cold boot of the computer, after the BIOS posts, the Chameleon screen pops up and I have 4 boot choices: (1) Snow Leopard Main, (2) SL Mini, (3) Vista, and (4) Mac OSX 10.5.8. I normally select choice #1 - Snow Leopard Main.

I have 2 SL partitions on disk2

disk2s2 is my main SnowLeopard partition that I'm trying to get working

disk2s3 is a mini SL partition that I only use when I've messed up the main SnowLeopard and it won't load

When I installed the Chameleon 2.0 RC5 rev 643 the DMG file asked where I wanted to install and the choices were "Main Snow Leopard" or "Mini SL" and I selected "Main (so I didn't actually use terminal to specify partitions)

When I do a cold boot of the computer, after the BIOS posts, the Chameleon screen pops up and I have 4 boot choices: (1) Snow Leopard Main, (2) SL Mini, (3) Vista, and (4) Mac OSX 10.5.8. I normally select choice #1 - Snow Leopard Main.

So the problem is other... LOL

Set in your BIOS the Hard Disk boot "order/priority"

or press F8 during startup time.. then select your "main" Hard Disk then chameleon from that partition will be charged...

Fabio

So the problem is other... LOL

Set in your BIOS the Hard Disk boot "order/priority"

or press F8 during startup time.. then select your "main" Hard Disk then chameleon from that partition will be charged...

Fabio

I have my HD boot order set so that the HD which has my SnowLeopard is the drive that BIOS boots

But I'm still not sure that I've installed the Kabyl Boot file in the right place. Is there ( a ) a way to see what boot file is loaded or ( b ) is there any differences I should see between the "vanilla" Chameleon boot file and the Kabyl boot? Where should I look to see the differences?

On an unrelated topic, I just discovered the Chameleon PullDown menu for Video Info and discovered that the Apple Radeon HD5770 card does not have a VESA 1680x1050 mode - the closest is Mode 146 which is 1400x1050 which explains why this is the maximum resolution I'm now getting -- THIS IS REAL PROGRESS for me)

I have my HD boot order set so that the HD which has my SnowLeopard is the drive that BIOS boots

But I'm still not sure that I've installed the Kabyl Boot file in the right place. Is there (a) a way to see what boot file is loaded or (;) is there any differences I should see between the "vanilla" Chameleon boot file and the Kabyl boot? Where should I look to see the differences?

You can see the difference in the startup chemeleon screen if is installed the revision report a inferior version than 643 :)

Fabio

Hi,

I installed chameleon RC5 and it works fine but only with c-stats: off. If I turn it on, the system is realy slow. geekbench score is ok but I think the clock is not rising fast enough or the treshhold is wrong.

Also Sleep and reboot takes longer with c-stats enabled.

My Mainboard is : GA-EP45-DS4

CPU: Q6600

Maybe somebody can send me a better DSDT file then mine?

Thanks for your help.

You can see the difference in the startup chemeleon screen if is installed the revision report a inferior version than 643 ;)

Fabio

The Chameleon start-up screen says:

Darwin/x86 boot v.5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r643 Build date:2010-11-20 23:20:20

Does that mean I still have your Chameleon boot file loaded rather than the Kabyl boot file I want to try?

The Chameleon start-up screen says:

Darwin/x86 boot v.5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r643 Build date:2010-11-20 23:20:20

Does that mean I have your Chameleon boot file loaded rather than the Kabyl boot file I want to try?

Is not installed... if I'm not wrong the Kabyl boot revision say Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r486

Build date: 2010-09-03 14:15:46

Fabio

Is not installed... if I'm not wrong the Kabyl boot revision say Darwin/x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chameleon v2.0-RC5 r486

Build date: 2010-09-03 14:15:46

Fabio

I really do appreciate all the help you've provided today. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Any other suggestions for how I install Kabyl boot?

I really do appreciate all the help you've provided today. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Any other suggestions for how I install Kabyl boot?

pls post a complete diskutil list

like mine...

I'm sure you only need to replace the boot

Fabios-Mac-Pro:~ iFabio$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *300.1 GB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS Snow Test 139.5 GB disk0s2

3: Apple_HFS Snow Data 160.1 GB disk0s3

/dev/disk1

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk1

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 300.3 GB disk1s2

3: Apple_HFS Mac HD2 199.3 GB disk1s3

Fabios-Mac-Pro:~ iFabio$

Fabio

pls post a complete diskutil list

like mine...

I'm sure you only need to replace the boot

Fabio

Here's my list:

/dev/disk0

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0

1: Windows_NTFS 500.1 GB disk0s1

/dev/disk1

0: FDisk_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk1

1: Windows_NTFS 500.1 GB disk1s1

/dev/disk2

0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk2

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS Snow Leopard 1.8 TB disk2s2

3: Apple_HFS SnoLeo-Install 220.7 GB disk2s3

/dev/disk3

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk3

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk3s1

2: Apple_HFS iDeneb (10.5.8) 499.8 GB disk3s2

Here's my list:

/dev/disk2

0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk2

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS Snow Leopard 1.8 TB disk2s2

look via terminal if your boot (actually 643) is in this volume

1) cd /Volume/SnoLeo-Install/

2) ls

3) And you see if the boot file will be listed.. if yes then copy/replace the boot file maybe try cp -f

1a) cd /Volume/Snow\ Leopard/

2a) ls

3a) Same as 3

Fabio

look via terminal if your boot (actually 643) is in this volume

1) cd /Volume/SnoLeo-Install/

2) ls

3) And you see if the boot file will be listed.. if yes then copy/replace the boot file maybe try cp -f

1a) cd /Volume/Snow\ Leopard/

2a) ls

3a) Same as 3

Fabio

Help!!!!!

the Kabyl boot on my Desktop is 281648 bytes

/Volumes/SnoLeo-Install/boot is 281648

/Volumes/Snow Leopard/boot is 281648

/Downloads/i386/boot is 198272 (your r644 boot, right?)

Chameleon Startup Screen still shows RC5 r643

Help!!!!!

the Kabyl boot on my Desktop is 281648 bytes

/Volumes/SnoLeo-Install/boot is 281648

/Volumes/Snow Leopard/boot is 281648

/Downloads/i386/boot is 198272 (your r644 boot, right?)

Chameleon Startup Screen still shows RC5 r643

Why not just reveal the hidden files in your Finder with the terminal command or otherwise and visually inspect all of your root partitions to determine what is and isn't installed then just drag the desired Boot file to the partition root proper?

The following commands will reveal and then re hide your hidden system files including Boot.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

After I installed this on retail install MBR it was still the old boot loader (619) it did not change to 643 any ideas?

I installed just the boot file and now its showing as 643 but its still odd that the installer failed I still cannot get my native res on boot your older release made it better but still hoping for 1920x1080

NEW PKG INSTALLER v2.1b

Credits to Blackosx

PLEASE READ THE DESCRIPTIONS, and help us reporting your findings

Changelog from v2 (prematurely released and pulled) to v2.1b

• Whole package re-built from scratch with Apple's PackageMaker.

• Uses and builds upon the original Chameleon installer scripts which are now split in to a modular workflow with notes and comments etc. to suit my working style.

• Un-mounts all volumes with the name "EFI" before attempting to install to the EFI system partition (thanks kizwan).

• Re-worked the creation of the com.apple.Boot.plist and the /Extra folder.

• Added detection for FAT16 to stop installation with smaller USB memory sticks.

• Installation of Chameleon files stopped if found existence of GRUB / Linux Loader.

• Added a basic error log which is written to the target volume.

• Added Resources/English.lproj back in with revised text files to allow extra language support at a later date.

• Added Mozodojo's version of Netkas' fakesmc which works from /Extra.

• Installs Chameleon RC5 trunk 644.

Fabio

Why not just reveal the hidden files in your Finder with the terminal command or otherwise and visually inspect all of your root partitions to determine what is and isn't installed then just drag the desired Boot file to the partition root proper?

The following commands will reveal and then re hide your hidden system files including Boot.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

I did set AppleShowAllFiles TRUE and can see grayed-out hidden files including what I assume is the boot file in my Root (I'm not entirely clear whether Root is just the top of the directory structure or is a special magic directory of its own)

The boot file that I see (grayed out) is the same size as the Kabyl Boot file (and a different size than the boot file in Chameleon 2.0 RC5 rev643)

Will AppleShowAllFiles TRUE let me look at whether boot is also installed in the EFI partition (diskXs1), or will I just see the current Apple_HFS SnowLeopard partition (diskXs2)? If not, how do I look into the EFI partition?

I'm still hard booting into Chameleon 643 which iFabio tells me is not the Kabyl boot, so I'm at a loss to figure out where the rev643 boot file is hiding and why it is installing, since the Kabyl boot appears to be in the Root directory of my Disk2S2 Apple_HFS partition which is where I understand the actifve boot file is supposed to be to load. But Hey! What do I know, I'm obviously still a very confused Hackintosh noob!

RE: New Chameleon package installer v2.1b

As per iFabio's post above - he has kindly hosted the newest 'work-in-progress' package installer that I have been working on - v2.1b. Check the title post of this thread for the download link and changelog. Also note, there's more info in the ReadMe in the package installer itself.

I hope from this installer, we can work towards ironing out any problems and build new features in to the package installer to help everyone. So please give feedback either if it works for you, or if you have any issues with it as I know that many users have a variety of system setups that I would not have set up for local testing.

I look forward to reading feedback from you all, though please know in advance that I might not be around everyday to respond directly to each post.

Finally, I have to remind everyone here that this thread is for the package installer and not for reporting issues with Chameleon itself.

Regards

blackosx