Chameleon 2.4svn Official PKG Installer

ErmaC
4,261 posts in this topic

RE: New Chameleon package installer v2.1b

...I look forward to reading feedback from you all, though please know in advance that I might not be around everyday to respond directly to each post....

Regards

blackosx

So, having become totally frustrated with my own problem (installing the Kabyl boot file) I decided to try the new Chameleon package installer. If I understand correctly, the install was supposed to wipe the EFI partition, etc. Install went smoothly. I rebooted. Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r643 still loads. Shouldn't a new Chameleon with a different rev number have appeared in the Chameleon startup screen?

So, having become totally frustrated with my own problem (installing the Kabyl boot file) I decided to try the new Chameleon package installer. If I understand correctly, the install was supposed to wipe the EFI partition, etc. Install went smoothly. I rebooted. Chameleon 2.0 RC5 r643 still loads. Shouldn't a new Chameleon with a different rev number have appeared in the Chameleon startup screen?
Just a thought. I know it doesn't address your issue.

You would probably benefit from creating a bootable USB stick for OS X. That way you can experiment with differing BOOT files, with a simple drag and drop/replace with any you fancy, leaving the working (however it is set up) system alone for now.

USB stick booting (blackosx)

You could change kexts and edit 'apple.com.boot.plist etc' to your hearts content while safe in the knowledge that [pull the stick] and your system is back as before.

Anyway kudos to you, you certainly don't give up! Good luck.

If I understand correctly, the install was supposed to wipe the EFI partition, etc.

The v2.1b package installer here doesn't wipe anything.. If it did then there'd be many users out there who'd suddenly lose their files - bad thing.

So, having become totally frustrated with my own problem (installing the Kabyl boot file) I decided to try the new Chameleon package installer.
From looking at your previous posts here it looks like you've tried so many different things that you no longer know what you've installed and where?

The Chameleon bootloader comprises three main files which, ideally, are installed only once to your system at the location of your choosing and you can overwrite them with newer versions if the come out.

stage 0 (either boot0 or boot0hfs) which is written to the MBR (the first partitioned disk sector of your drive).

stage 1 (either boot1h or boot1f32) which is written to the partition's boot sector.

stage 2 (boot) which is placed at the root (/) of your desired partition.

Then it uses files in a folder named 'Extra' to help boot your OS X installation. The 'Extra' folder will be at the root of your desired location - and the same place that the 'boot' file resides. Now if you've pointed installers to different locations on your system then you are going to have these files at a more than one location which will cause you problems such as you're having.

When you're starting out and not sure of exactly what files you need to boot OS X then building yourself a bootable Chameleon USB memory stick as Silverfir suggested is a good way to get a stable /Extra folder before attempting to write to your hard drive. If you point the installer here to a freshly formatted FAT32 or HFS USB memory stick then after it's completed, all you will need to do is add your dsdt.aml, smbios.plist to the /Extra folder there and then add any required kexts to the /Extra/Extensions folder. You can then finally boot your PC from the USB and also keep it safe to use as a means of recovery if you ever screw up your hard drive setup.

So to answer your question of how to add Kabyl's boot file, then under normal circumstances, all you would do is replace your current boot file with Kabyl's version either by drag and drop in the Finder or by using the Terminal. But as I believe you have different versions of files in different places then you either need to read and learn from some of the helpful replies you've had here, or from one of hundreds of posts around the forums about this subject or you might be better off starting again.

I wish you luck :(

The latest Chameleon Installer v2-1.1 overwrites the existing com.apple.Boot.plist upon choosing any Boot Options in the installer. Additionally, Finder shows the new /boot file is clearly installed but NOT hidden. Attached is the full installation log for your perusal. Thanks.

Hi Darwin X - Thanks for your feedback.

The latest Chameleon Installer v2-1.1 overwrites the existing com.apple.Boot.plist upon choosing any Boot Options in the installer.

That's what I've set it up to do and how I would expect it to work. I take it you would like it to append boot options to your com.apple.Boot.plist?

I have approached this installer with the idea it will be used on a fresh empty hard drive. My thinking is if you already have a com.apple.Boot.plist for your setup then you won't use an installer to change it.. But maybe I should add a note to the install option that a new com.apple.Boot.plist will be made?

Moreover, at boot, boot banner presents with a previous boot file install, currently r643 as though the boot file was never replaced/updated by the new installer.

The Chameleon binaries in the installer were built from the source in the current trunk yesterday. But I will re-check it this evening.

Additionally, Finder shows the new /boot file is clearly installed but NOT hidden.

Should it be hidden? I always use it not hidden.

Hi Darwin X - Thanks for your feedback.

That's what I've set it up to do and how I would expect it to work. I take it you would like it to append boot options to your com.apple.Boot.plist?

I have approached this installer with the idea it will be used on a fresh empty hard drive. My thinking is if you already have a com.apple.Boot.plist for your setup then you won't use an installer to change it.. But maybe I should add a note to the install option that a new com.apple.Boot.plist will be made?

The Chameleon binaries in the installer were built from the source in the current trunk yesterday. But I will re-check it this evening.

Should it be hidden? I always use it not hidden.

So I see, this makes sense and perhaps better that way, it only presents a problem if the person installing is not aware and has no CABP backed up. Is it possible to have both append and replace as installer options?

I stand corrected on my second point, the /boot file did install as expected, although still not hidden as it is normally. However, like yourself, I too much prefer it to be visible as it makes it easier to update/install manually. Thank You!

Thanks for coming back DarwinX - it's good to chat about these things and try to gauge different users expectations of what an installer package should do.

it only presents a problem if the person installing is not aware and has no CABP backed up.

It will be easier to duplicate an existing /Extra folder if one already exists on the target partition - In fact now you mention it I think the installers that iFabio & scrax worked on previously did this. I should be able to implement that fairly simply - Would that suffice for now?

Is it possible to have both append and replace as installer options?

Yes it's possible but at the moment I have tried to keep the available options limited for simplicity.

I think the original chameleon scripts had support for appending to the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, but I still question if it's needed today.. I personally still edit mine by hand but .plists were not designed to be manually edited and today we have the Chameleon prefpane that supports creating/amending the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist as does Sonotone's Lizard application. I know the v2.1b installer at the moment doesn't include the prefpane and at the moment doesn't have options for every possible boot option but I can add those in future releases.

However, like yourself, I too much prefer it to be visible as it makes it easier to update/install manually. Thank You!

Well I guess we could ask for a few votes from users as to what they would prefer.

Everybody: A visible or hidden boot file?

hi

I've tried the new installer and lost my data

I haved vista +another ntfs partition+10.5.8 +another hfs partition+1 fat32 partition on two sata raid disk i don 't have kalyway install disk ...

when i start i just see this: -

Imust recover my data quickly because I risk lot of problems...

what can I ;):wacko: do?

hi

do you know how i can restore my mbr?

PLS be more specific...

- Your previus bootloader version?

- Dual/tri boot on single Hard Disk?

- You can normally boot from Windows... Maybe using macdrive for restore the boot file on the mac partition...

Provide info and maybe some guru can help you...

Fabio

I've tried the new installer and lost my data

How have you lost all your data? - the installer doesn't wipe anything. All it changes is your MBR by writing the Chameleon stage 0 loader to it. The rest of the files it writes are added to your current system.

I haved vista +another ntfs partition+10.5.8 +another hfs partition+1 fat32 partition on two sata raid disk i don 't have kalyway install disk ...

On the 'Important Information' page, below the large text in red, you'll find a sentence beginning:

Installation to a software RAID is not yet implemented ....

So if your problem is due to RAID then I suggest doing whatever you did to first setup your RAID.

do you know how i can restore my mbr?

If you want the Windows code in the your disks MBR then boot from the Windows CD and use the built in tools to put the code back.

Poll added :) (I hope help... Temporally)

and voted too... I prefer hidden...

Hi Fabio - Thanks for adding the poll - maybe keep it running for 24 hours?

I guess the overall opinion will be split between both options - as it's just a matter of personal preference.

I voted too - not hidden :P

Thanks for coming back DarwinX - it's good to chat about these things and try to gauge different users expectations of what an installer package should do.

It will be easier to duplicate an existing /Extra folder if one already exists on the target partition - In fact now you mention it I think the installers that iFabio & scrax worked on previously did this. I should be able to implement that fairly simply - Would that suffice for now?

Yes it's possible but at the moment I have tried to keep the available options limited for simplicity.

I think the original chameleon scripts had support for appending to the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist, but I still question if it's needed today.. I personally still edit mine by hand but .plists were not designed to be manually edited and today we have the Chameleon prefpane that supports creating/amending the /Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist as does Sonotone's Lizard application. I know the v2.1b installer at the moment doesn't include the prefpane and at the moment doesn't have options for every possible boot option but I can add those in future releases.

Well I guess we could ask for a few votes from users as to what they would prefer.

Everybody: A visible or hidden boot file?

It is indeed productive to debate such things to optimize the final outcome for the benefit of all parties involved. Now that YOU mention it, previous installers did backup the /Extra folder quite effectively which is clearly more than sufficient for our purposes.

I personally have never used any form of automatic .plist editing as the manual technique had always sufficed for me.

Hidden or not, it is of little importance to me as the entire purpose of hidden system files is to prevent a casual user from inadvertently deleting or otherwise altering the contents of files that are necessary for the intended system functionality. By definition, this community tends to be rather more technical than not and therefore we are not such users.

By the way, I'd like to compliment you on your signature, quite nice.

previous bootloader :[url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] the previous version

multiboot:1 vista on 1rst partition +1 osx10.5.2 on second partition+1hfs+1ntfs+1fat32

raid: 2x sata 250 retail from sony

i can t boot on windows ;)

i use standard install for chameleon and when installer execute postflight script i see there s no more app in aplication they all disapeared preference disapeard too no system profiler but i could explore the windows partition that s all i can said

before to shut down i ve tried to reinstall [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but can t because he doesn t see any hdd

PLS be more specific...

- Your previus bootloader version?

- Dual/tri boot on single Hard Disk?

- You can normally boot from Windows... Maybe using macdrive for restore the boot file on the mac partition...

Provide info and maybe some guru can help you...

Fabio

Now that YOU mention it,

Lol.. yes I did didn't I ;)

I personally have never used any form of automatic .plist editing as the manual technique had always sufficed for me.

I agree, but what's good for you and I might not work for everyone. There are many posts on Voodooprojects' forum about what, where and how for the com.apple.Boot.plist.

Hidden or not, it is of little importance to me as the entire purpose of hidden system files is to prevent a casual user from inadvertently deleting or otherwise altering the contents of files that are necessary for the intended system functionality.

Valid point. I think which ever way the installer sets it there will always be questions..... if it's hidden then some users will be asking where's my boot file? and if it's not hidden then some users will be asking what's this boot file?

But my take on this is if the user builds a hackintosh, preferably using the retail route and not a distro, then they should know what files they have installed and where. Which kind of kicks an automated installer in to touch but that's at least why I have added notes to the individual options in the installer explaining what gets installed and where.

So maybe the boot file should not be classed as a system file as every Chameleon enabled hackintosh will have one?

By the way, I'd like to compliment you on your signature, quite nice.

Thanks ;)

i use standard install for chameleon and when installer execute postflight script i see there s no more app in aplication they all disapeared preference disapeard too no system profiler but i could explore the windows partition that s all i can said

Which disk/partition did you point the standard install to?

I don't suppose you captured the installation log?

Lol.. yes I did didn't I :)

I agree, but what's good for you and I might not work for everyone. There are many posts on Voodooprojects' forum about what, where and how for the com.apple.Boot.plist.

Valid point. I think which ever way the installer sets it there will always be questions..... if it's hidden then some users will be asking where's my boot file? and if it's not hidden then some users will be asking what's this boot file?

But my take on this is if the user builds a hackintosh, preferably using the retail route and not a distro, then they should know what files they have installed and where. Which kind of kicks an automated installer in to touch but that's at least why I have added notes to the individual options in the installer explaining what gets installed and where.

So maybe the boot file should not be classed as a system file as every Chameleon enabled hackintosh will have one?

You are absolutely correct, personal preferences are like opinions, and we all know what opinions are like. :) Although I voted alongside you, I'd say that hidden it is, just out of tradition and harm prevention. Out of confusion, Noobs do tend to delete all in their path and this installer is mainly just for them. While I'd like to think that most in this community know their stuff, it is probably not the case.

Done :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks Fabio

Out of confusion, Noobs do tend to delete all in their path and this installer is mainly just for them. While I'd like to think that most in this community know their stuff, it is probably not the case.

OSX86 has a learning curve and we all had to start from somewhere but I know what you mean.

As discussed yesterday, I have amended the installer to copy, if found, an existing /Extra folder to /ExtraBackup then remove the existing /Extra folder is a new one is to be made. I have also added an option to hide or show the boot file - but this currently relies on theSetFile command available in the developer tools and won't exist on a system without them installed. So I'm holding the release for now.

Will the Radeon 5750 videocard be included in the future? Looks like they have it in some of the new macs these days.

This package installer includes RC5 binaries built from the current source of the Chameleon trunk. So if the Radeon 5750 is supported in the trunk then it will be in here.

Finally! Got the Kabyl boot file to load onto a USB stick.

Used the Chameleon_Installer_v2.1.1b to install Kabyl on a USB Flash stick.

I think I know what my original problem was (LOL - you can think the smart wisecrack, but don't say it): Somehow I think that a previous Chameleon installer put the boot onto the EFI partition rather than on the Apple_HFS partition.

So, I am now privy to the mysteries of using a USB Boot loader. However, I have no idea how to get the boot that is on my HardDrive EFI partition removed. Can this be done without my erasing the entire HD and starting over from scratch?

The only other thing that's left for me to do is to actually get my ATI Radeon HD5770 card to be recognized by the system so that I can get an extended dual-monitor desktop.

I have updated the installer to v 2.1.2b. The changes are:

• Copy an existing /Extra folder to /ExtraBackup if one exists before deleting it ready for the new one. This happens when selecting any other option than just the bootloader.

• Added the option to hide the stage 2 'boot' file is desired - I have left it visible by default despite the higher vote to having it hidden - shoot me if you want - but that's the way I feel it should be.

@Fabio - You can close the poll now if you like. Thanks for enabling it.

I can record the vote was 49 for hiding the boot file and 25 for leaving it visible.

However, I have no idea how to get the boot that is on my HardDrive EFI partition removed. Can this be done without my erasing the entire HD and starting over from scratch?

There are two ways. One is to wipe the EFI system partition and the other is to mount the EFI system partition and manually remove the file. It's up to you.

If you don't need any of the files on it then you can format it. To do that, open Terminal and type diskutil list followed by enter. You will then see a result similar to this:

/dev/disk0
  #:					   TYPE NAME					SIZE	   IDENTIFIER
  0:	  GUID_partition_scheme						*500.1 GB   disk0
  1:						EFI						 209.7 MB   disk0s1
  2:				  Apple_HFS Booter				  1.1 GB	 disk0s2
  3:				  Apple_HFS Mac					 120.0 GB   disk0s3
  4:	   Microsoft Basic Data						 80.0 GB	disk0s4
  5:				  Apple_HFS Backup				  32.0 GB	disk0s5
  6:				  Apple_HFS Data					266.3 GB   disk0s6

Here I know the EFI system partition is recognised as disk0s1. If you have more than one hard drive then your required EFI system partition might reside on disk1s1 or disk2s1. Only you know which disk is the one you want to work one.

Now I know for me that disk0s1 is the partition I want to issue a format command to so I can use one of the following commands, replacing the red 0 with which ever disk is the one you want to work on.

Note these are for using with SnowLeopard and I see from your signature that you're using 10.6.5 so you will be okay. But if you or anyone else is using 10.5 Leopard then the command is different.

newfs_msdos -F 32 -v EFI /dev/rdisk0s1

newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/rdisk0s1

Of the two commands above, the first formats the EFI system partition using FAT32 file system, while the second command uses the HFS file system. I always use the FAT32 file system as it's the format that the EFI system partition is originally supplied in.

If you want to mount the EFI system partition and manually remove files(s) then to save typing here I recommend reading munky's famous guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127330

I hope this makes sense as I'm retiring for the night.

bye.

Note these are for using with SnowLeopard and I see from your signature that you're using 10.6.5 so you will be okay. But if you or anyone else is using 10.5 Leopard then the command is different.

newfs_msdos -F 32 -v EFI /dev/rdisk0s1

newfs_hfs -v EFI /dev/rdisk0s1

Of the two commands above, the first formats the EFI system partition using FAT32 file system, while the second command uses the HFS file system. I always use the FAT32 file system as it's the format that the EFI system partition is originally supplied in.

If you want to mount the EFI system partition and manually remove files(s) then to save typing here I recommend reading munky's famous guide: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=127330

Thank you very much for this helpful info. I'm beginning to get better at wandering around the guts of OSX thanks to the folks in this forum!!!

Question: How can I look into the EFI partition to see what files are there? (NOTE: I read Munky's guide to see if the answer to my Q is there - I think I've got it figured)

That problems with GPT/GUID partition type (more work as MBR) is the reason i use MBR.

Question to the Chameleon devs:

Would it be possible to tell or inject some code that the orig. Apple OS X DVD see the found HDs (Volumes) for install are all GPT/GUID (Apple) Partition type to allow the install - even they are MBR type?

For me the only reason - Install with orig Disk (no need to patch the .pkg) to use that Apple Partition type (with that hidden EFI partition workaround).