What app are you missing?

108 posts in this topic

Motorola Phone Tools software and the other tools for modding my RAZR.

Also, a good old fashioned paint program like in Windows would be awesome...sometimes I don't feel like openning Photoshop or Illustrator to do a simple little edit. I miss paint.

DVD Shrink & DVD Decryptor

Nero - I know there's Toast and I use it. Maybe it's just because I've used Nero a lot more as a born and raised Windows user, but I like it better than Toast.

µTorrent - native os x µTorrent would be awesome, although it works remarkably well under crossover

Videora Video Converter - I just haven't found a program that turns .avi's or other media into ipod compatible videos as fast as Videora

Also, a good old fashioned paint program like in Windows would be awesome

Do you mean like MS Paint? It's ironical, but Paint is a clone (more like a steal) of Mac Paint, intruduced on the original Macintosh, and now there isn't one for OS X.

Do you men like MS Paint? It's ironical, but Paint is a clone (more like a steal) of Mac Paint, intruduced on the original Macintosh, and now there isn't one for OS X.

Yeah, MS Paint. Does anyone know of a good replacement for it? Sometimes, it's the simple things...

GigaStudio, owned by Tascam, PC only.

Top composer in film use GIGA tied to MACS running either Logic, DP or Pro-Tools and on occasion, Nuendo.

Band In a Box.

Swish MAX

How about MAC programs that run on PC's? LOL!

I wish there was a UNISON for PC, much better than FREE AGENT, NEWS ROVER.

ditto on the aim client, ichat is great but video support blows i need to have my isite hooked up in order to view someone elses cam, how lame is that.

I don't have an isight or any web cam at all and i can still see other people if they st up a one-way video chat.

Anyone try Bits on Wheels? I'm using it on a P4 2.8G (old Shuttle board) w/ FX5200 AGP + Macvidia drivers.

Although I haven't used the feature it would appear you can create new torrents with it. Runs well - no problems so far.

(I'd also like a smaller uTorrent client as well).

An app closer to AutoGK. FFMpegX is ok but you can't do VIDEO_TS in ffmpeg mode in the Intel version, single .vobs only. It'll do VIDEO_TS with mencoder but it takes forever. Handbrake ran great on my G4, but when use try to use AC3 or .mp3 audio it creates a corrupted file (Xvid or ffmpeg mode). Works ok with .aac audio or H.264.

I like MacTheRipper - seems to do a pretty decent job, but I agree it isn't quite DVDDecrypter.

Mike

I guess I have two apps that I don't see coming out anytime soon but I would love and use daily.

#1: I am going to jump on the BitTorrent app bandwagon. Azureus is just too resource intensive. I want my utorrent for OS X. I don't want Tomato Torrent but use it. My main gripe with tomato is that it isn't all located in one window. I want a list of all my torrents that I can tweak and turn off or on.

#2: I also really want a good IRC client. I really like Colloquy'a interface but there isn't fserve capability in any IRC I have tried except XChat 2 Aqua. But with that I couldn't get Obsidian+ to work, also it is PPC arch not Universal.

So those would be my two votes for apps that I need in OS X.

convert it once on windows and you can moun it on OS X or Windows whenever you want (on windows with Alcohol), I remember a project called mdf2iso, you may want to check it out.

Other otions are to rip the mounted mdf file, or to extarct the the files

If you have lots of images this may be a pain and time consuming, have you tried runnung Alcohol on parallels or wine/crossover?

I only miss one app... and that is FLStudio.

But I've been a Mac user (B&W G3) for a great many years... I only kept Windows around for FLStudio.. I have since went 100% OS X, but I still miss/need that app.

other then that.. I like iChat more then any other IM client... and Azereus does the job for me... and I have not noticed any slowdowns from it. I used the version posted in the WiKi.

• 7 months later...

Wow. I' m surprised nobody has mentioned a peer-to-peer (P2P) program. Mldonkey, MLnet, MLmac etc. are weird 'cause the GUI is separated from the actual program. I'm NOT the least bit of a programmer, so compiling is a chore for me. aMule is OK, but it does NOT connect to Gnutella or Gnutella 2 networks. Does anybody know of anything else out there? If only Shareaza were ported to OS X, that'd be great.

Not missing anything really.....I just load XP thru parallels, for basic windows needed apps. If I need even more power (native), a simple reboot into my bootcamp XP load and I'm gaming or doing whatever needs 3d acceleration in xp. These are 2 of the 3 MAIN reasons I even considered getting my macs. I also guarantee you that 40% or better of the users that have RECENTLY bought mac's (expecially technically oriented individuals like myself, that are MS certified) only considered the mac for this reason as well. It has truly been one of the BEST ideas Apple has ever implemented. :)

I really don't see the problem with Tomato Torrent, at least if you're just the usual downloader type. Maybe if you need to do some fancy seeding. Otherwise, Transmission is nice (Suppose not so if you want to make torrents), as is this widget. :) But, perhaps my needs are simple since I only get the occasional TV show.

I just want something like SecureCRT (with the serial terminal support, too). Using screen or goserial isn't good enough here. I program a lot of routers and firewalls. :D

Cyrana - I'm with you! As a Unix Admin I use ssh and serial connections all the time. I'd love a version of SecureCRT - the only program I miss from windows...