What app are you missing?

108 posts in this topic

I ordered my first mac yesterday (a nice macbook with the new core 2 duo 2.16Ghz and 2Gb mem) and i am curious how my transition from windows to OS X will be. Of course i will still use Windows, but my main development environment will be OS X and i want to start developing some java apps, and i am focusing currently in a mp3 handler. Why? I currently use 3 or 4 tools in Windows to manage my mp3:

- Tag&Rename to get the correct tags and covers from amazon and or freedb.

- Media Monkey to move the file to a new place with a structured folder name and file name using the id3tags (Tag&Rename does not allow to move to a different drive)

- Mp3Tag to check the tags uppercase and/or missing information.

- iTunes to check that when i load all in my iPod all is displaying correctly.

So as you see, some heavy process that i want to make simpler by using a single tool, since i never found one that suits my needs, i will try to develop one, but before i do i would like to ask if you guys know any tool that does this in a good way?

Other tools that i will miss in OS X are Secure CRT and Toad (Oracle Client), maybe Total Commander (i don't really know how well is OS X handling the copy/move of files), and for sure foobar2k (there is no better player, period!)

So far this is what i will possibly miss, but i am sure that with time all our missing tools will come up, one way or the other!

Cheers All, and hope to be soon another active member of this comunity!

L

P.S. Forgot one of the most used tools, Ultra Edit, also a must have!

I miss Winamp, specifically Milkdrop visualizations. Absolutely nothing compares, and the port for iTunes is broken in iTunes v7. :( I'm also missing AC3 filter's virtualization of surround-sound in DVDs and AVIs - when wearing headphones it's almost as good as a real surround system, and 0% of the cost.

• 2 weeks later...

Fruity Loops definitely

Why has noone mentioned the good old Windows File Explorer? What's with that finder, which opens a column each time you click on another folder sublevel, so you actually can have neither long names nor deep folder structures because it is difficult to view in finder. The one window folder-file-tree view is nuts as well.

Left window and right window for respectively folders and contents of folders are just perfect. Is there no alternative on mac? Pathfinder doesn't seem to have a view like that either.

• 1 month later...

PICASA!!!

God I hate all the OSX alternatives to it... If I boot into windows, it is 100X faster than anything OSX has.

Utorrent would be nice, Transmission is ok, but not really comparable for features.

MS PAINT!

as dumb as this sounds. Paint provides me with hours of relaxation when my nefews and nieces come over. i can just sit them down with paint and let them goof off all they want. I would let them use PS or Fireworks but they might get a hold of one of my documents and FUX it up.

Fruity Loops Studio

The engine is {censored}, but the synthesizers sound amazing.

• 7 months later...

well, im a oldfashioned *ux/*ix-user, i got almost everything i need for osx.

but also i´m a music lover, and the best thing ever written is amarok. version 2.0 is coming, and there will be a osx version.

i´ll open a bottle of good polish vodka the day it gets released.

here are 2 suggestions from me:

picture browser - phoenix slides: http://www.blyt.net/phxslides/

simple but neat buring app that supports overburning - simply burns: http://simplyburns.berlios.de/

but also i´m a music lover, and the best thing ever written is amarok. version 2.0 is coming, and there will be a osx version.

Music is the most important thing for me! I wanted a nice iTunes like player that could play all my weird music formats like WMA, OGG, MPC...Cog can play them all, but Amarok would be perfect. I succumbed and converted all my music to MP3, so now I use iTunes. It's a good application, I'll give it that, but I wish it could play more than just MP3, AAC, FLAC....

MS PAINT!

as dumb as this sounds. Paint provides me with hours of relaxation when my nefews and nieces come over. i can just sit them down with paint and let them goof off all they want.

Scribbles or Artrage free edition!

However, if that doesn't float your boat, I found a MS Paint Clone called Paintbrush here...

Two programs that I'm missing on mac:

- FlashFXP (using Transmit now)

- Mirc (Using Colloguy but i like mirc way more, certainly icw psybnc)

But most of all that I miss, and seems NO ONE can change that is the Folder/File structure in the Finder. Folders first, then Files.

I wish I could do that in the default finder. I know there is a alternative finder that has it (cant remember name) but just in Leopard's own finder I would to see it.

Option to sort on Kind is not the solution. So.........Who can patch the Finder?!?!?!?!!?

BiTRiP

But most of all that I miss, and seems NO ONE can change that is the Folder/File structure in the Finder. Folders first, then Files.
mmm...Finder...I hear what you're saying. It's better now in Leopard but still not perfect.

Well there are alternatives. From free like XFolders to Path Finder which costs $35 but is pretty much the best app out there for Mac File Management.

Path Finder

XFolders

Forklift

One great thing you can do in Leopard is actually replace the Finder with Path Finder, something you couldn't do in Tiger. Here is also a comparison I found for Finder alternatives, comparing 10 of them. Quite crappy and old but maybe worth a glance. 10 Finder Alternatives Compared & Reviewed

Don't forget about apps like Launchbar, Quicksilver and Butler. They can certainly help too...

Oh, for the mac I really miss the boot up speech phrases. I used to play with that forever..lol.

Anyway, I love OS 9 even now. It was the only reason I recovered a screwed leopard partition from my linux experiments. Nor Tiger or Leopard read the drive but my good 'ol B&W read it like nothing. +1 OS 9 :)

Reasons why I still cling to my PC (Well, not so much "cling" as "embrace passionately" but you get the idea):

- WinRAR (Sure there are apps that open .RAR files, but none come close to "Right-click>Extract here../Extract to...")

- µTorrent (Best torrent app, ever.)

- Media Player Classic (Yes, there's VLC, but it's ability to playback .MKV files is subpar at best)

- VirtualDub

- Lame MP3 encoder (lame_enc.dll)

- Mp3Tag (best tag editor I've found yet, and it's free too.)

- River Past Video Cleaner Pro (God I love that timecode regulator)

- VSO ConvertXtoDVD (Like, the best video-to-DVD converter ever. Converts MKVs to DVDs flawlessly. I expected nothing less from the original creators of the pccouffin driver.)

- SlySoft products: Like AnyDVD and CloneCD (Simply irreplaceable IMO)

- UltraISO (Anyone know a good multi-image editor for OSX? Didn't think so.)

- Daemon Tools (Can mount and emulate like no other)

- Gmail Drive (very nifty app indeed)

- PowerDVD (Best DVD player ever)

- SnagIt (What do YOU use?)

- mIRC

- File Renamer Deluxe (mass file renaming made easy)

- Raxco PerfectDisk (defragments like no other)

- Website Ripper Copier (One of my fav apps of all time now. Gets me images JUST the way I like it)

- Nero (I mean c'mon, Toast? Puh-leaze)

- ...and like, every PC game I own. I mean, seriously, Macs are lacking something huge here.

And I could go on and on but you get the idea.

@dermatea

mkv can be played on any mac popular player with perian, from mplayer to quicktime and it handle very well for me right now.

mp3tag... hmmm... try out the itunify it has many options to edit mp3 tag and has behavior with your itunes lib.

For me, my ones what I have remember are most simple and useless:

Some app to read and split .cue files from mp3s, there is one and it didn't get updated by years (since tiger comes up)

a ratiomaster app for mac, lmao

These xbox360 tools, they are all windows only and it makes me upset

Newsleecher - tried all the mac usenet readers and they are at best, terrible.

General things I miss: a lot of applications seem to use multiple windows on the mac, which is annoying, it is like going back to browsing without tabs!

Google's picasa

Mobi-pocket ebook reader compiler.

Good that i did not buy an apple, but installed osx86. Apart from the fact that (in my eyes) it's not ergonomic / consistent i miss :

- Speedfan, my cpu fan does not throttle enough under osx

- UsenetExplorer, my o my the osx usenet downloaders are horrible

- Utorrent the best torrent prog by far

- Explorer, finder is very bad

- IE7, never thought i'd say that but after safari it's heaven

- Windows media player, MKV and ffdshow and it plays everything unlike slowtime, sorry quicktime.

- All my games, what no COD4 on the mac ?

- readable fonts, what's the deal here with osx the fonts are cr.p

- picasa, iphoto is way worse

- the list goes on

Don't get me wrong there are some good point to osx too :

- Fast boot

- no need for antivirus/adware/spyware

- The best by far : With parallels i can run windows !

i'll give it another week or so just to make sure it's not dislike of something new. But as i see it now i will be back to vista sooner rather than later. Has been fun to get it running, but after that is no fun.