[Guide] HP DV8, DV7, DV6, & DV5, 10.6.4 Easy, Comprehensive Installation

Mammoth

v2.00 Installation, Update, and Mammoth Installation media  

143 members have voted

1. 1. Is v2.00 something you are interested in and would use?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Which are you most interested in?

• v2.00 Installation Guides
    • v2.00 Post-installation Update Guide

1,266 posts in this topic

I'm confused about "I used MBCD to boot to the disk (As [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and your Boot disk were not working)". Which is "MBCD" and which is "your boot disc"?

I've never heard of items being missing from System Preferences before. Sounds like just a bad install. I think the chances are very remote that the factory DVD is bad; could be, but I think much less likely.

I would tend to think your DVD drive could have a problem, or you could have faulty memory. Again, which boot disk exactly are you using?

It very well could be that the DSDT on the boot CD is not working well with your i5.

Check back here soon and I will have something for you to try... Ok, here it is:

This is a version of the Mammoth DVxt Boot CD v1.15, the ONLY difference is that the DSDT.aml file (that is more specifically for the DV8), has been disabled (by renaming it to noDSDT.aml). This MAY allow those with other machines (such as DV5s) to be able to use it to boot and install. I am releasing this as a TEST ONLY. Let me know if it does indeed allow machines that couldn't boot / install before to be able to now.

MammothDVxtBootCDv1.15noDSDT.zip

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

I am using a Boot Disk called "MBCD" (From "HolyField", HERE) because [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and the Mammoth DVxt Boot CD's will not boot the Retail 10.6.3 Disk on my hardware (Hangs on "Waiting for DSMOS")

At first I thought that it might be one of the following: Hard Drive, DVD Drive or Memory. I then used the 10.6 Retail disk and got a Clean Install.

I even tried to boot the 10.6.3 Retail disk from a Genuine Apple Mac Pro… Same result.

After all of that, I returned the OS X DVD to Best Buy, the first thing the Associate said was: “Let me guess; it won’t install?” He continued to tell me that several of the OS X DVD’s from the same shipment had issues installing (even on Apple hardware).

So I got it returned and will try again tonight. Hopefully my results are more... Satisfying!

P.S. If the Mammoth Boot Disk you edited (with disabled DSDT) is still using the mach_kernel, I along with other users, cannot use it.

Thanks!

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

I am using a Boot Disk called "MBCD" (From "HolyField", HERE) because [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] and the Mammoth DVxt Boot CD's will not boot the Retail 10.6.3 Disk on my hardware (Hangs on "Waiting for DSMOS")

At first I thought that it might be one of the following: Hard Drive, DVD Drive or Memory. I then used the 10.6 Retail disk and got a Clean Install.

I even tried to boot the 10.6.3 Retail disk from a Genuine Apple Mac Pro… Same result.

After all of that, I returned the OS X DVD to Best Buy, the first thing the Associate said was: “Let me guess; it won’t install?” He continued to tell me that several of the OS X DVD’s from the same shipment had issues installing (even on Apple hardware).

So I got it returned and will try again tonight. Hopefully my results are more... Satisfying!

P.S. If the Mammoth Boot Disk you edited (with disabled DSDT) is still using the mach_kernel, I along with other users, cannot use it.

Thanks!

Wow, I'm really surprised it turned out to be a defective retail disc. I would have lost that bet.

Which kernel must you use to be able to boot? Is the kernel the issue or DSDT or both? I will take a look at MBCD to see what is different.

Thanks.

@yehia Amer

هل بامكانك مساعدتي في الترجمة والشرح اذا ممكن ولك جزيل الشكر اخي الكريم

Turns out haber speaks Arabic and French ;-)

@haber:

.haber ،سأحاول مساعدتك بقدر ما أستطيع

Windows في Auto Patcher الخاص بك عن طريق تشغيل DSDT يمكنك الحصول على

.يرجى التحلي بالصبر

Btw. there is a problem on the forum when typing in RTL.

Turns out haber speaks Arabic, not French ;-)

@haber:

.haber ،سأحاول مساعدتك بقدر ما أستطيع

Btw. there is a problem on the forum when typing in RTL.

Oh, sorry. I thought he said he spoke both.

:)

The automatic sleep is a Mac OS X issue, not really anything we can do about it.

TSSTCorp DVD drive is causing this problem.

Apparently, putting a CD inside will enable the sleep to work properly.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?t...5&tstart=15

Fix is here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=182535

---------------------------

EDIT:

Behold! The 1.0 beta version of my DSDT patcher for DV6 and DV8 (possibly also DV7):

Significant changes:

- Native backlight working

- HDMI audio working (needs testing, who has a HDMI cable and TV to try?)

- Native power management for the graphics card (should lower the temperatures)

You need to put this .kext to /E/E in order for the backlight slider to work. Thanks to ivik for making this possible and helping me debug the problem.

To change the brightness by keyboard use: Fn+Insert and Fn+Page Up. This can be fixed by installing a modified version of VoodooPS2. If you feel like testing, go here and test the VoodooPS2 from Archive2.zip (but don't use that GenericBrightness.kext, because it's outdated and probably won't even work or will KP).

If you notice any bugs, let me know, I'll try to do my best to fix them.

PATCH HP DVx with Core i7

by NIXin (bart8472@gmail.com)

WARNING: ONLY APPLY THIS PATCH TO UNTOUCHED DSDT FILE

FOR EXAMPLE DSDT EXTRACTED UNDER WINDOWS OR LINUX

hi NIXin

I tested your DSDT alot and it is great

Thanks for this info about automatic sleep, i tried the script and it works :|

but why the only way to Wake up from sleep is to press the power button???

I can't connect external display and close the lid by using this method

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131?viewlocale=en_US

Some other questions

1) HDMI audio sometimes it work great and after i restart it don't work now it is not working and i don't know what cause that !!!???, any suggestion

2) can you change the laptop display name from "display" to "Color LCD" in the DSDT to be like the real MacBookPro MBP GT 330M

3) GenericBrightness.kext don't like any external Monitors, it gives me KP when plug or unplug my HDMI monitor

thanks so much

So great, incredible work NIXin!

Oh yeah, with your DSDT now I get Geekbench v2.1.7 score of like 6609, which is totally awesome!

Things still needed to work on:

- No battery ICON (I'm using AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext in /C/E/E/)

- No card reader (never had one before either) I don't think this is DSDT fixable but requires a kext

- How can we listen to, hear, HDMI audio?

Anything I previously mentioned as not working before and not listed above means it IS working.

There are other configuration issues outside of DSDT edits we need to resolve, if possible, before we will be ready to start finalizing a Boot CD and creation of the guides, so stand by.

This is a team effort, I couldn't do this stuff without all of you, so any input, help, suggestions that you could provide, please do.

Some good news on the "poor video" performance issue. It is for sure a bug in the new QuickTime X. Actual Mac users are having the same problem:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?m...5

This is great news for us as this means we WILL be able to configure our machines as MacBook Pro6,2 machines, which they are most closest too.

This means with NIXin's DSDT, we are ready to move forward! More DSDT edits are needed and few other bugs have cropped up such as pulling an HDMI cable out of the machine now causes a KP in our new GenericBrightness.kext.

Here is what we could use some help on: The next "big issue" I would like to resolve is the "popping" sound from the speakers whenever we are set to anything other than MacPro3,1. Also, there is delay in playing the first sound following a period of no use of the audio.

Here are my theories. The sound is caused by the audio device being "turned on and off". Perhaps this has something to do with power saving? Could this be some kind of IRQ / interrupt sharing related issue? Simply changing the SMproductname in smbios.plist to anything other than MacPro3,1 (and maybe MacPro4,1) and restarting will cause this problem.

hi Mammoth

Some info about my tests

1) AppleACPIBatteryManager.kext in /E/E is working for me

2) i found a working Card reader kext but it is very buggy

3) If the HDMI audio is working you will find your monitor name in System preferences- Sound - output - "your monitor name"

i am using FakeSMCnVclockPort.kext on FakeSMC plugIns and don't use GenericBrightness.kext yet

i think those kexts may affect on injecting HDMI audio and i may not !!!!!

4)i am so happy that the "poor video" issue is not only our problem

5) with me plugging or unplugging cause KP when using GenericBrightness.kext :)

thanks

Great, thanks for your DSDT.

@NIXin, if you have time, and want to, if you could check out KiD KuN's DSDT and let us know if it's all good. I want to get a collection of DSDT's for each needed machine so that everyone can get up and running and the DSDT's can be available on the next CD release. Thanks!

Also I forgot to mention that Haber also speaks Arabic.

i can speak arabic, can i help in anything

@yehia Amer

هل بامكانك مساعدتي في الترجمة والشرح اذا ممكن ولك جزيل الشكر اخي الكريم

طبعا ممكن , كيف يمكن مساعدتك

اعاني من مشكل في تنصيب الماك

العضو ماموث يحاول مساعدتي لكنني لا اجيد اللغة الانجليزية

فهل ممكن ان تسعدني وتوضح لي ما الدي يطبه مني انفده

للعلم اخر شئ قالو

كيف اقوم بها علما بانني لدي ويندوز 7

شكرا لك اخي

اعاني من مشكل في تنصيب الماك

العضو ماموث يحاول مساعدتي لكنني لا اجيد اللغة الانجليزية

فهل ممكن ان تسعدني وتوضح لي ما الدي يطبه مني انفده

للعلم اخر شئ قالو

كيف اقوم بها علما بانني لدي ويندوز 7

شكرا لك اخي

DSDTEditor حمل هذا البرنامج

الي الديسك توب DSDTEditor استخرج المجلد

DSDTParser.jar شغل البرنامج

Extract DSDT ثم File اضغط علي

بعد الانتهاء تماما من استخراج الملف

dsdt.dsl ملف اسمه DSDTEditor ستجد في المجلد

ارفع هذا الملف علي الموضوع

شكرا

Wow, I'm really surprised it turned out to be a defective retail disc. I would have lost that bet.

Which kernel must you use to be able to boot? Is the kernel the issue or DSDT or both? I will take a look at MBCD to see what is different.

Thanks.

The MBCD Boot Disk is using the Qoopz 10.0.0 kernel (I think). I believe it is both DSDT and the Kernel. Once I get a working install of OS X I will try and fine tune a DSDT for these core i5 systems.

Once a working install is completed, the Legacy_Kernel you supplied works great!

EDIT: So I had just got home from our families Christmas Eve party and tried to install with the new Retail Disk. I popped it in, booted from it (BTW, the fastest boot I have ever had), wiped the HD, Started the installation, and it is 95% done!!! (The old Retail would fail at 0%). So I think it is safe to say, apple did have a few defective disk's in Southern California.... Sad, but true ;)

(Completely off topic: I was talking to an Apple Consultant at our Best Buy and I asked him about the Verizon iPhone rumor.... He said "I do not know anything about it (With a big smile on his face he proceeded to say...), but make sure you watch the Super Bowl Commercial’s (Wink, Wink)" Apple would just make my day if that is true!)

....... install with the new Retail Disk. I popped it in, booted from it (BTW, the fastest boot I have ever had), wiped the HD, Started the installation, and it is 95% done!!! (The old Retail would fail at 0%). So I think it is safe to say, apple did have a few defective disk's in Southern California.... Sad, but true :( .......

Although it does not seem so, this is the image of success!

post-538112-1293258059_thumb.jpg

Got it to work! Very Smooth Install... YAY!

DSDTEditor حمل هذا البرنامج

الي الديسك توب DSDTEditor استخرج المجلد

DSDTParser.jar شغل البرنامج

Extract DSDT ثم File اضغط علي

بعد الانتهاء تماما من استخراج الملف

dsdt.dsl ملف اسمه DSDTEditor ستجد في المجلد

ارفع هذا الملف علي الموضوع

شكرا

شكرا على تجاوبك معي

حملت الملف لكن فكيت ضغط هدا الملف مباشرة

DSDTParser.jar

ضهرت ملفات عديدة لكن لا وجود لملف

dsdt.dsl

شكرا على تجاوبك معي

DSDTParser.jar

dsdt.dsl

هل استخراج

DSDT

مع

DSDT Editor

؟

شكرا على تجاوبك معي

DSDTParser.jar

dsdt.dsl

يا سيدي العزيز , اذا اردت المساعدة فطبق ما اقوله بالحرف الواحد

عندما اقول استخرج المجلد الي الديسك توب فانا لي حكمة في ذلك

و DSDTParser.jarالملف سيظهر بعد فتح برنامج ال

Extract DSDT ثم File الضغط علي

DSDTEditor عندها ستجد الملف في المجلد

dsdt.dsl ارجوا ان تتبع الخطوات بدقة وان ترفق الملف

لنا لكي نستطيع مساعدتك

شكرا

يا سيدي العزيز , اذا اردت المساعدة فطبق ما اقوله بالحرف الواحد

عندما اقول استخرج المجلد الي الديسك توب فانا لي حكمة في ذلك

و DSDTParser.jarالملف سيظهر بعد فتح برنامج ال

Extract DSDT ثم File الضغط علي

DSDTEditor عندها ستجد الملف في المجلد

dsdt.dsl ارجوا ان تتبع الخطوات بدقة وان ترفق الملف

لنا لكي نستطيع مساعدتك

شكرا

انا طبقت ما قلته بحدافره اخي وهدا ما طبقته

----------------------------

1. حملت الملف الدي ارسلته لي

2. قمت بفك ضغط الملف في الديسك توب وعطاني ملف باسم

DSDTEditor

بداخله ملفات ومنها

DSDTParser.jar

ثقمت بفك الضغط استخرجت ملفات لكن لا وجود للملف الدي قلت

- -------------------------------------

قمت بطريقة اخرى

DSDTEditor

3.قمت بستخراج جميع الملفات ووضعتها في الدسكت توب

ومن ضمن المفات الان الموجود في الدسك توب هدا الملف

DSDTParser.jar

للعلم نضام الجهاز الان هو

windows 7 ultimate 64bit

انا طبقت ما قلته بحدافره اخي وهدا ما طبقته

----------------------------

DSDTEditor

بداخله ملفات ومنها

DSDTParser.jar

- -------------------------------------

قمت بطريقة اخرى

DSDTEditor

3.قمت بستخراج جميع الملفات ووضعتها في الدسكت توب

ومن ضمن المفات الان الموجود في الدسك توب هدا الملف

DSDTParser.jar

للعلم نضام الجهاز الان هو

windows 7 ultimate 64bit

DSDTParser.jar الملف

ده برنامج هل شغلته

Extract DSDT هل قمت بعد تشغيله بالضغط علي فايل ثم

اذا لم يعمل هذا الملف فهاذا يعني انه لا يوجد عندك جافا

يمكنك تحميلها من هنا

http://www.java.com/en/

no offense haber & yehia, but only communicating in arabic isn't helping anyone else who may be trying to resolve the same issue you are. it looks as though you are communicating on how to patch the dsdt which i also am trying to figure out.

@mammoth. i just extracted my dsdt thru linux, should i try to patch it now or just wait a little while longer for u to finish your guide. would i gain anything by patching it over my current one?

no offense haber & yehia, but only communicating in arabic isn't helping anyone else who may be trying to resolve the same issue you are. it looks as though you are communicating on how to patch the dsdt which i also am trying to figure out.

@mammoth. i just extracted my dsdt thru linux, should i try to patch it now or just wait a little while longer for u to finish your guide. would i gain anything by patching it over my current one?

Hi Jason,

I would say wait. While a proper DSDT is the largest part, there is still more to it than just that. For those who really know what they're doing, that's one thing. If someone doesn't have anything better to do and wants to keep messing around with it, that's fine, and a lot can be learned, it just may be very time consuming and frustrating.

I'm working diligently on the next release, and really trying to resolve as many current issues as possible. When it's ready, it's going to be beautiful. :D

i totally agree when he extract his DSDT we will figure out another way to discuss his problems

i Know that writing in a different language and out of topic cause a lot of distraction to other users

thanks Jason Adams

@mammoth

i was just wondering how vanilla do you plan to make our installs? i mean will we using voodoo and all? i would love a vanilla install! jus wanted to know how things re coming along your way!

@yehia,

if you know the process and can write a vanilla guide i would be willing to try if it would help resolve any issues. just tell me what i would need to post to be of help. i don't know too many mac terminal commands i'm more familiar with the linux terminal although i'm in no way an expert on one, just experienced. or pm me and then i can post positive or negatives on the topic.

Hi all,

Hope you're having a great christmas day off.

Thought I'd add my test results aswell.

I've managed to extract a vanilla DSDT using Ubuntu which I then patched ith NIXin's awesome work (seriously wow).

1)It complied first time and booted quickly into OSX, I've run geekbench and have unfortunately suffered a slight performance score drop. With the autopatch modified DSDT I'm getting a geekbench score of 6509 and my original modified DSDT gives me a score of 6629.

2) Finally a working backlight control! Ivik's kext and the autopatcher's effect on the DSDT are awesome, love the fact I can finally adjust screen brightness. I know it's not vanilla but I installed the genericbrightness.kext into s/l/e.

3) No audio on HDMI out for me unfortunately, I had the computer on and plugged in an HDMI cable onto to be left with a blank blue screen, had to shutdown and restart with the cable plugged in to get a second display up. But no luck with the audio out, removing the cable gave me a kernel panic.

4) Sleep works fine, ie. lid close=machine sleep :thumbsup_anim: Didn't test whether a screensaver active would prevent sleep or not. In this time I hadn't noticed my battery was critical but it went into deep sleep like a mac and booted from where I'd left off which was nice. (I've written a post a few pages back which shows how to incorporate this).

5)Video playback was fine from a DVD and also from a 1080p video from apple trailers was not choppy but played smoothly.

Awesome stuff so far, thanks fo much to all that are helping. Really has made my purchase of the DV8 all the better.

Any testing I can do let me know I'm happy to help.