released Update to 10.6.4

188 posts in this topic

64bit mkext in e/e ?

Nah I don't have anything like that in /Extra/Extensions if that's what you mean.

Was that in response to not booting into 32 bit mode? I haven't let it sit but it just seems to hang before loading the loginwindow. I haven't really tried hard to get into it though (haven't tried -s or -x) but I'm glad to get into the new kernel.

It's just strange that that's what I had to do. At first I thought it was to do with Chameleon but trying it both ways has told me it wasn't the case. It's confusing but bear with me... I am using Chameleon 2.0 RC4-r684 which supports software raid. Chameleon is installed on both the drives under /EFI and /Boot OS X. Both of these setups are identical on both drives and both have /EFI/Extra and contain identical files.

Normally I have been booting to disk0 (Doesn't really matter as it'll load either way but chose that since it's first in line). Did the update and that's when I noticed I wasn't in the new kernel and got the refusing new kext errors. It was just recently that I decided to choose to boot through disk1 (I tried this both ways, boot from 1st HD say B0 and at the Chameleon timeout screen hit a key and select the other drive OR boot from 2nd HD say B1 and let it timeout from there) and that's when I saw I could get in with the new kernel and no refused new kext errors. I don't know what it is but I think it's very simple.

As I said, both Chameleon setups are identical, same extensions, same boot configuration file with same flags and same smbios.plist injection.

No modified or linked kernel, just using vanilla kernel...

You guys who have been successful, can you go to About this mac > More info > Software and tell me your kernel version?

My system is booting fine but is still running the old kernel so technically hasn't updated. I'm on 10.3 and new kernel is 10.4. Need some insight on this 'Refused new kext' error.

Darwin 10.4.0 for me, no problems detected so far.

I haven't updated yet but I'm assuming that AGPM is now loading native with iMac9,1 model id?

If so it's best you do have LegacyAGPM.kext but must be edited with correct threasholds for your GPU and your GPU device id.

See this most useful thread here it may be of some use.

This also of use .. here

D.

thank, i will give it a try :)

I guess trim function for ssd's is coming. In my macbook 13'' the sustem identifies my intel ssd as solid state now.

In my hackintosh however it identifies it as rotational drive. See the photos

I get Solid State on my hackintosh after the update.

post-177709-1276709314_thumb.png

I installed the updated SleepEnabler.kext and had no problems after installing the Combo updater (Asus p5w dh, Intel Core 2 Duo), EXCEPT slow USB transfer speeds, which turned out to be because of AppleHPET.kext. I had deleted it a long time ago, but apparently the updater reinstalls it? Anyway, I re-deleted it and everything seems to be running normally.

Hello!

I updated my 10.6.3 install to, but i'm not so lucky ;) After the update i have QE and CI, but the animations are slow and laggy, and the VGA performance is half of the previous version. This looks like my old problem,  when i put wrong SMproductname in the smbios.plist (the correct was iMac9,1). Now i tryed to play with the SMproductname, but i can't fix this problem with it.

I have ACER Aspire 5730ZG-323G25MN with NVIDIA® GeForce Go 9300M 256MB

Here is my 10.6.3 install log (sorry, it is Hungarian, but i think it is easy to decrypt ;) 

Can anybody help me?

Hi all,

Everything works fine with me, but did someone notice some strange issue with FakeSMC after update? I'm booting with verbose, and there is this line (which wasn't issue before):

FakeSMC: key info not found FNum, length - 6

Everything does boot fine (except sound issue, i just overwrited with kexthelper the existing kext from 10.6.3 and it worked) but I'm interested what's wrong with FakeSMC.

Thanks and happy update!

an1r0n

Hey all, I'm suprised no-one has mentioned this yet but my update didn't really update.

I believe that when you update only the OS get updated not the Darwin kernel, you have 10.3 because your original installed 10.6.3.

Go to the Apple menu at the top-left and click on about this Mac then you will see 10.6.4 i bet.

I keep seeing people state their scores are low in this and other forums.

My questions is: Anyone with a real mac test your opengl performance? Is it lower with 10.6.4 with? Curious if they somehow made a check for all graphics cards that they approve, and anything else gets some settings disabled? How else would the scores be lower...

I believe that when you update only the OS get updated not the Darwin kernel, you have 10.3 because your original installed 10.6.3.

No, 10.6.4 comes with a new kernel just like all previous point releases.

--------------------------------------------------

10.6.3 -> 10.6.4 using the full combo update

I had to hex-edit the AppleHDA binary (same as with 10.6.3) to get AD2000B sound back.

See this thread for required Legacy kext + DSDT HDEF device patch and more info on how to hex-edit AppleHDA:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=465

Here it is (patched for AD2000B only!) AppleHDA.kext.zip

Everything else seems to work fine, full 64-bit mode works, no drop in OpenGL performance, no new error messages in the logs or other weirdness.

GA-X58A-UD3R with update 10.6.4? anyone?

I just got this working with audio for 10.6.3 and wondering how if anyone with these specs or similar had any issues or not while updating to 10.6.4...

GA-X58A-UD3R with o/c i7 930 running at 3.8 stable

6 gigs 1600 corsair ram

wd 1.5 hd

blu-ray lite on sata drive

Thank you.

I just did mine and it broke the audio and suffered from the KP with the sleep enabler. im working on fixing the audio right now.

To get sleep working I just install the sleep enabler kext found on this forum that is for 10.6.4 correct? I know that it can cause kernal panic when updating, so what do I do to prevent that? I am new to this so I am just trying to learn for the future.

Blah

No, 10.6.4 comes with a new kernel just like all previous point releases.

10.6.3 -> 10.6.4 using the full combo update

Had to patch AppleHDA again to get AD2000B sound back (see page 3: http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=465 ), everything else seems to work fine, no drop in OpenGL performance, no new error messages in the logs or other weirdness.

Thanks man for the clear up. I thought it didn't update the kernel, i was wrong. so what i do wrong ?, I update from 10.6.2 to 6.3 and now 10.6.4, but my Darwin kernel still say 10.2, but if i check about this Mac it say i have 10.6.4, what the hack.

Updated to 10.6.4 from 10.6.3.

Problems:

Sound not working anymore, I had VoodooHDA.kext it doesn't work reinstalling :D

Booting, had a KP that I fixed with pmVersion=20 in apple.boot.plist

BIOS keeps reseting itself after rebooting, I'm trying to find a Fix for this too.

Specs:

Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2

E8400

8Gb Ram

8800GT

Actually I am having an issue that hasnt been discussed yet, I replaced my AppleHDA.Kext to try and get the sound working, I rebooted the machine and now I am receiving a KP for AppleIntelCPUpowermanagement. Is there anyway I can try to by pass this so I can go in and remove it? it had been working fine previously.

I have a GA-x58a-ud3r mobo, 6gig ram i7 930 using chamelon with vanilla kernel.