released Update to 10.6.4

188 posts in this topic

Actually I am having an issue that hasnt been discussed yet, I replaced my AppleHDA.Kext to try and get the sound working, I rebooted the machine and now I am receiving a KP for AppleIntelCPUpowermanagement. Is there anyway I can try to by pass this so I can go in and remove it? it had been working fine previously.

I have a GA-x58a-ud3r mobo, 6gig ram i7 930 using chamelon with vanilla kernel.

All fixed which, just deleted that kext and it booted right up, it is a pain in the butt to trouble shoot with dual video cards because the OSX dvd wont boot with both of them in there so I have to crack the case and pull one out. Its all working now atleast audio and sleep just fine.

all tickerty boo here ! :)

replaced appleHDA, still have to replug usb after sleep but power button works without need to replug, so ..

D

Hey FKA, are you definitely on the 10.4 kernel? I see you're running SW Raid0 as well so wanted to see if you had the same problem as me. Have you booted with the verbose switch to check for errors? I was getting 'refusing new kext' errors but worked out to boot through the other drive which I wouldn't normally do.

Hey FKA, are you definitely on the 10.4 kernel? I see you're running SW Raid0 as well so wanted to see if you had the same problem as me. Have you booted with the verbose switch to check for errors? I was getting 'refusing new kext' errors but worked out to boot through the other drive which I wouldn't normally do.

post-275122-1276770780_thumb.png

all tickerty boo here :censored2:

Hey there everybody,

I have a question that pertains to updating from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4. If you look at my specs you will see why I am asking you guys in this manner. I have a HD with 2 partitions, the first one has a nearly vanilla install running 10.6.2 and the second is a restored copy of the vanilla 10.6.2 install and then updated to 10.6.3. My method is as follows: till now I have just restored from the first partition to the second one. So when I completely stuff it up I always have a working OS.

This might sound like a simple question, but can I erase the first partition and restore from the second partition with the working 10.6.3 install ? This leaves me with a 10.6.3 install on the first partition and free to experiment as before with updating to 10.6.4 on the second partition?

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers mates, Plucka

Hey there everybody,

I have a question that pertains to updating from 10.6.3 to 10.6.4. If you look at my specs you will see why I am asking you guys in this manner. I have a HD with 2 partitions, the first one has a nearly vanilla install running 10.6.2 and the second is a restored copy of the vanilla 10.6.2 install and then updated to 10.6.3. My method is till now I have just restored from the first partition to the second one. So when I completely stuff it up I always have a working OS.

This might sound like a simple question, but can I erase the first partition and restore from the second partition with the working 10.6.3 install ? This leaves me with a 10.6.3 install on the first partition and free to experiment as before with updating to 10.6.4 on the second partition?

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers mates, Plucka

Yes, thats a good plan. I do similar, I have 3 partitions, an Original "Working partition" which is left unpatched. A Development partition which I use for testing things just like the 10.6.4 upgrade. And once that works a "Production" partition which I upgrade once I have tested the development.

btw, I also have a P5B motherboard and it all went ok for me.

Yes, thats a good plan. I do similar, I have 3 partitions, an Original "Working partition" which is left unpatched. A Development partition which I use for testing things just like the 10.6.4 upgrade. And once that works a "Production" partition which I upgrade once I have tested the development.

btw, I also have a P5B motherboard and it all went ok for me.

Cool so I can just do a reverse restore of the 10.6.3 and erase the 10.6.2 install? Thanks for your reply cobblers. BTW do you have all your usb ports working and do you have native sound, seeing you have the same board as me? Or have you got a correct DSDT file? If so, do you think you would be willing to share it with me? :censored2:

Cheers mate, Plucka

I've got all 4 of my systems updated to 10.6.4, running in 64bit mode and all seem to be running fine. I used the automatic update method. I use CopyCatX for my backups so it's easy to experiment a little bit. I don't use sleepenabler on any of my systems so I didn't have any KPs. All 4 different MBs now have Darwin 10.4

Cool so I can just do a reverse restore of the 10.6.3 and erase the 10.6.2 install? Thanks for your reply cobblers. BTW do you have all your usb ports working and do you have native sound, seeing you have the same board as me? Or have you got a correct DSDT file? If so, do you think you would be willing to share it with me? :D

Cheers mate, Plucka

Yes, but be careful not to break your Chameleon install. You could always also go straight from 10.6.2 to 10.6.4 on that same partition. Just make sure you put the brand new sleepenabler.kext on first (released yesterday, I downloaded it from this site). I'd also take off any patched audio first as well, but that might not be an issue for you.

All USB ports do work fine (I only have a problem with the built in WiFi, but I don't need it anyway) and sound works fine (green jack only) using the AppleHDA driver (or the VoodoHDA work ok as well). I don't have a DSDT file, but if you ever find one for a P5B Deluxe I'd be interested also :censored2:

Yes, but be careful not to break your Chameleon install. You could always also go straight from 10.6.2 to 10.6.4 on that same partition. Just make sure you put the brand new sleepenabler.kext on first (released yesterday, I downloaded it from this site). I'd also take off any patched audio first as well, but that might not be an issue for you.

All USB ports do work fine (I only have a problem with the built in WiFi, but I don't need it anyway) and sound works fine (green jack only) using the AppleHDA driver (or the VoodoHDA work ok as well). I don't have a DSDT file, but if you ever find one for a P5B Deluxe I'd be interested also :D

OK cobblers, what should I do to ensure that I dont break the Chameleon install? I do have a DSDT if you like I could send it or post it here?

Cheers mate, plucka

OK cobblers, what should I do to ensure that I dont break the Chameleon install? I do have a DSDT if you like I could send it or post it here?

Cheers mate, plucka

Ok, I'll have a go, I don't claim to be an expert in this, so there is a chance I'm wrong or may get flamed for posting what I would do.

I used the most excellent myHack package when I built SL, so for me to keep the chameleon protected I would make sure that the entire Extra folder on the primary boot partition is backed up and restored (unless of course you have special Extra kexts in your Library folder, in which case I would just make sure that the com.apple.Boot.plist file and the themes folder is restored).

I could of course be being way over cautious after doing many, many installs on my machine which I broke many times. Since using the myHack package my system has been very stable and so this maybe a red herringI also use the pfix utilty from the myHack site to fix permissions etc whenever I make changes to the boot files.

The experts on here may be able to put me right.

For the DSDT, yes I'd like to view it, either PM me it, or you could post onto the P5B thread which may be better than here.

Cheers

Ok, I'll have a go, I don't claim to be an expert in this, so there is a chance I'm wrong or may get flamed for posting what I would do.

I used the most excellent myHack package when I built SL, so for me to keep the chameleon protected I would make sure that the entire Extra folder on the primary boot partition is backed up and restored (unless of course you have special Extra kexts in your Library folder, in which case I would just make sure that the com.apple.Boot.plist file and the themes folder is restored).

I could of course be being way over cautious after doing many, many installs on my machine which I broke many times. Since using the myHack package my system has been very stable and so this maybe a red herringI also use the pfix utilty from the myHack site to fix permissions etc whenever I make changes to the boot files.

The experts on here may be able to put me right.

For the DSDT, yes I'd like to view it, either PM me it, or you could post onto the P5B thread which may be better than here.

Cheers

OK mate, ta very much for your advice and help, I used the empire efi method with my hack files included, I will pm you it when I get home this evening. Maybe we can make something of it together with our combined knowledge of our MB. I do have an extra kexts file which houses a couple of kexts including sleep enabler.

Thanks again for your help, it is really appreciated, cheers mate, Plucka

can someone tell how to upload the ne kernel ???

running 10.6.4 but with 10.3.0

Thanks anyone ??????

This is due to custom kernel that you chose when you initially installed your snow, now if you think you can run native kernel then you have to modify the string of your "com.apple Boot.plist" to match kernel, however by changing this your system may have a KP, if that happen you need to know how to change it back to custom kernel again, otherwise your system will be mobilized and will not be able to start up .

This may seem like a stupid question, but what am I supposed to "replace AppleHDA.kext" with? I have copies from 10.6.2 and 10.6.3 and put them one after the other in /System/Library/Extensions but none of them worked.

I seem to recall when I upgraded to 10.6.3 I had to download a special "modified" version from someone here on Insanely.

I've got legacyHDA in my Chameleon bootloader and my audio is an ALC888.

If you want to see my setup you can see the tutorial I wrote here way back when: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=187828&hl=

Excuse this noob question, but...

How can I tell if my System is running on 64 bits mode?

I have Snow 10.6.4

;)

open terminal and type

uname -a

If the end of the output is i386, its 32-bit. if its x86_64, its 64-bit.

Update ran fine on my old hackintosh(Presario C770US, not in sig). Had to boot with -f flag on first reboot but after that it worked without.

This is due to custom kernel that you chose when you first installed your snow, now if you think you can run native kernel then you have to modify the string of your "com.apple Boot.plist" to match kernel, however by change this your system may have a KP, if that happen you need to know how to change it back to custom kernel again, otherwise your system will be mobilize and will not be able to start up.

Hi,

Or: At boot you can choose the kernel you want to load : Kernel=mach_kernel for vanilla after update.

That way you don't need to edit your boot.plist file until you're sure it runs.

Rgds

I've got legacyHDA in my Chameleon bootloader and my audio is an ALC888.

If you want to see my setup you can see the tutorial I wrote here way back when: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=187828&hl=

I tried removing applehda from SLE and using the latest voodoo but to no avail either... I've always had applehda in SLE and legacyhda in my bootloader's EE, I can't figure out how to get my audio back :rolleyes: