fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

No, i just verify, and 10DE is NVidia VenId ans 06C0 is the GTX480 DevId.

So, I guess, MSI or EVGA would change the DevId.

kolutshan, what's your card revendor ?

Hi, I'll tr the new inject soon.

My vendor is Gigabyte.

What really seems to be strange that all other id's are 8 digits but for the gigabyte card it's 9?! Does that make sens?

1. the device id for one specific card is the same across different retailers/distributers/"board partners", only the sub-device id might change (but this is again a decision that nvidia makes and it isn't checked in os x anyways)

2. the vendor id is always 0x10DE (nvidia)

3. again: 0x06C010DE & 0xFFF0FFFF handles all cards from 0x06C010DE to 0x06CF10DE, or 0x06C*10DE if you like

4. if you have followed the guide exactly, then something else must be wrong or os x simply doesn't like your hardware (i'm sry and i can't help you in either case)

It seems that my OSx really dislikes the gigabyte 470. In case I did something wrong here is a recap of what I did:

1. Installed OSX 10.6.4 Update

2. installed the fermi bootloader (used "diskutil list" to be sure about the drive names, it's disk02 so I used rdisk02 and rdisk02s2)

3. Downloaded the nividia Driver from page 1 & ANARCHiNTOSH's injector

4. Extract all kext files from the nvidia pkg. into one folder

5. copied the injector kext in the same folder

6. insertet the kext files with kexthelper b7 in advanced mode with cache options enabled

7. reboot

8. blank screen (yes!)

Im thinking about a total reinstall of osx with the new iatkos s3 v.2 maybe this might help...

I managed to install the driver with your instructions.

Graphics working fine now with my Zotac GTX 470, very smooth!

I only have one problem left, after the white Apple boot-screen a blue screen (not "the blue screen")

appears an won't go away until I manually shut my monitor of and on.

Does someone knows why this happens, is there a fix?

Anyway thanks for great tutorial!

Tried to play Portal now, it works smooth on 1920x1200.

Just a little graphic glitch for 1-2 seconds when you start the game, probably the 1st loading screen.

In game no glitches, everything is working like it should!  

Great work. am planning to add this into my branch soon. any to reflect a patch out of actual trunk of cham? thanks.

Hello, Cmf. im kinda new to the osx86 scene and i need some quick help. i extracted the kexts from the driver package and used kext helper B7 to install them. but could you please tell me how to add 0x06c010de&0xfff0ffff to NVDAResman.kext. Also i cant figure out how to modify my Boot.Plist (Where can i find it). please if you can, provide screenshots, thanks.

Well got my 470 working with all resolutions. Drop stuff in the Dashboard gives that kool wave effect. Ran the silly little speed 20.. I know but all runs there. A older game that uses opengl did not run.. ran but screen was black. So is OPENGL running.. no real clue I dont run games in mac.

For me I did like the cmf said in 1st post(super thanks for your post man). Yet I had to for the Chameleon boot from his post like below to get the card to finally boot.

"sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1 (my install drive)

"sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2

"sudo cp boot /

Then my 470 booted right into OS X. For ME the boot0 .. I had no clue how to add this. So maybe this will help others. And dont ask me lol took me about 2 days. Yet if you install the drivers edit the one file to add that number add the boot0.. getting lost already lol

Thanks guys.. really..

EDIT: Ok ran OpenGL extensions Viewer and all ran great but failed on opengl 3.0.

"EDIT: Ok ran OpenGL extensions Viewer and all ran great but failed on opengl 3.0."

Thats no real problem - non GPU will have full support of OpenGL 3.0, 3.1 and 3.2 running OS X 10.6.3, which is needed to do that TEST that Tool.

To check if Fermi OS X OpenCL (gpu computing) already works + how fast , try smallluxGPU (raytracing on GPU).

Simple run UltraHigh GPU benchmark and post results window. Some reference times are already shown in the result window.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/33632/smallluxgpu

Thanks for huge CPU/GPU Bench results.

OpenCL seems to not work, because the GPU isnt an OpenCL device , OpenCL uses CPU insted (shown as OpenCL 0 device Intel i7...). But now no real problem, because no real OpenCL app (beside Starfire, Videoencoding Mac) is out.

For others, you dont need to dl smallluxGPU (50 MB) in future o check if you OpenCL got working.

You can use the small=20 KB commandline OpenCLinfo (oclinfo) also to check and list all found OpenCL devices (CPU + GPu devices). Run that in the terminal.

Only if later (new drivers) your GPU is listed, smallluxGPU can bench your FERMI.

oclinfo.zip

FWIW, the SmalluxGPU result matches what I have now with GTX285 in a 1,1 Mac Pro. It uses Netkas ATY_Init to run GTX with another Nvidia card.

When I installed the new Nvidia drivers I started getting same 0.8 sec result whereas I used to get some sensible number. So, not just a Fermi thing

Ok, can you post the output of the oclinfo (command line OpenCL devices list) ?

There will be all GPUs (up to 4) listed if OpenCl is working and also (ever) the cpu as OpenCL device.

1 OpenCL platform found!

[Platform 0]
Name: 		Apple
Vendor: 	Apple
Version: 	OpenCL 1.0 (Apr  7 2010 19:04:28)
Profile: 	FULL_PROFILE

[OpenCL-only Context]
1 OpenCL device found!

[Device 0]
Name: 			Intel® Core(tm) i7 CPU         940  @ 2.93GHz
Vendor: 		Intel
Type: 			CPU 
Device Version: 	OpenCL 1.0 
Driver Version: 	1.0
Compute Units: 		8
Work Group Size: 	1
Clock: 			2972 MHz
Global Memory (Total): 	6144 MB
Global Memory (Host): 	4608 MB
Global Memory (PCIe): 	1536 MB
Local Memory: 		16 KB
Cache Size: 		8192 KB
Cache Line Size: 	64 Bytes
Available: 		Yes
Double-Precision: 	Yes
Extensions: 
			cl_khr_fp64
			cl_khr_global_int32_base_atomics
			cl_khr_global_int32_extended_atomics
			cl_khr_local_int32_base_atomics
			cl_khr_local_int32_extended_atomics
			cl_khr_byte_addressable_store
			cl_APPLE_gl_sharing
			cl_APPLE_SetMemObjectDestructor
			cl_APPLE_ContextLoggingFunctions

[shared OpenCL+OpenGL Context]
1 OpenCL device found!

[Device 0]
Name: 			Intel® Core(tm) i7 CPU         940  @ 2.93GHz
Compute Units: 		8
Clock: 			2972 MHz
Global Memory (Total): 	6144 MB
Global Memory (Host): 	4608 MB
Global Memory (PCIe): 	1536 MB
Cache Size: 		8192 KB
Extensions: 
			cl_khr_fp64
			cl_APPLE_gl_sharing

logout

[Process completed]

Yep, thats what i thinked. OpenCL Framework (which does the OpenCL work, its not done by the "normal" gpu drivers) cant finde the GPU as OpenCL device. Only (thats always ) the CPU which is used insted of GPU - like CoreImage with non CI gpu.

At least it if happens also with GTX 285 PC (used with injector in real Mac) something must be in the OpenCL FRamework code which maybe must also patched to get that worked - means OpenCL Framework code can find+use GTX 285 PC in real Mac, Fermi 4xxx in hackintosh.

IT cant be an simple .plist dev-id thing also ??? that my 8800GTX (different ID and different GPU type than 8000GT) is supported and GTX 285 PC in real Mac not.

i attached oclinfo info for looking how the list shows found gpus (can be more than 1 gpu)

[size=1]1 OpenCL platform found!

[Platform 0]
Name: 		Apple
Vendor: 	Apple
Version: 	OpenCL 1.0 (Apr  7 2010 19:04:28)
Profile: 	FULL_PROFILE

[OpenCL-only Context]
2 OpenCL devices found!   // one CPU and one GPU = 2 devices

[Device 0]  // device 0 is always the gpu if found, otherwise its the CPU (which is the only device)
Name: 			GeForce 8800 GTX   
Vendor: 		NVIDIA
Type: 			GPU 
Driver Version: 	CLH 1.0
Compute Units: 		16
Work Group Size: 	512
Clock: 			1350 MHz
Global Memory: 		768 MB
Cache Size: 		0 KB
Cache Line Size: 	0 Bytes
Double-Precision: 	No
Extensions: 
			cl_APPLE_gl_sharing

[Device 1]
Name: 			Intel® Core(tm)2 Duo CPU     E7300  @ 2.66GHz
Compute Units: 		2
Clock: 			2997 MHz
Global Memory (Total): 	4096 MB
Global Memory (Host): 	3072 MB
Global Memory (PCIe): 	1024 MB
Cache Size: 		3072 KB
Extensions: 
			cl_khr_fp64
			cl_APPLE_gl_sharing

[shared OpenCL+OpenGL Context]
2 OpenCL devices found!

[Device 0]
Name: 			GeForce 8800 GTX
Vendor: 		NVIDIA
Type: 			GPU 
Driver Version: 	CLH 1.0
Compute Units: 		16
Work Group Size: 	512
Clock: 			1350 MHz
Global Memory: 		768 MB
Cache Size: 		0 KB
Cache Line Size: 	0 Bytes
Double-Precision: 	No
Extensions: 
			cl_APPLE_gl_sharing

[Device 1]
Name: 			Intel® Core(tm)2 Duo CPU     E7300  @ 2.66GHz
Compute Units: 		2
Clock: 			2997 MHz
Global Memory (Total): 	4096 MB
Global Memory (Host): 	3072 MB
Global Memory (PCIe): 	1024 MB
Cache Size: 		3072 KB
Extensions: 
			cl_khr_fp64
			cl_APPLE_gl_sharing

[/size]

As I have posted at MR, using these "leaked" Nvidia drivers and Netkas' "ATY_Init" I have a GTX480 running in a 1st Gen Mac Pro. Requires an additional Nvidia card in Slot 3.

OpenCl is not seeing card, but OpenGl knows EXACTLY what it is. It benches lower than GTX285, as you all have found. System Profiler just calls it "Nvidia Graphics Card".

Tried adding device id to NVResman...no effect.

Curious if perhaps it is never in FULL 3D mode.

Thanks to you guys for figuring this out so far. I look forward to getting it to fire on all 8.

i read the post 1 guide

and everything works

THANK YOU

as other mention no OpenCL and no OpenGL 3.0 and above

my system profiler

GeForce GTX 480:

Chipset Model: GeForce GTX 480

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 0 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x06c0

Revision ID: 0x00a3

ROM Revision: xx.xx.xx - internal

Displays:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1600 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

Display Connector:

Rotation is not working for me (Rotation: Supported)

i get black screen and after 30 seconds it back in default mode

can someone confirm same problem with rotation

and is anyone already fix it

i flash many times my PALIT GTX 480 firmware

and now i am with EVGA GTX 480 SC firmware

this is the latest bios i found is overclocked but my card is running cooler and quiet

i just wonder is it firmware incompatibility or Rotation still tot working

why are people wasting time and effort on complaining that leaked drivers are not giving 100% performance, that opengl 3.0 is not working when it does not exists in snow leopard yet, opengl benchmarks without the benchmark box ticked and bother to post xbench scores when it is probably the suckiest gpu benchmark there is. the progress made is great and so what if it does not top a 4870 yet - it's a promise that fermi is coming for mac and with it, fully functional drivers. smalluxgpu is great but i'd like to see some games and pro apps benchmarks too. and consistency of the benchmarks. wrong settings = cpu work instead of gpu = benchmarks based on users CPU and not GPU.

why are people wasting time and effort on complaining that leaked drivers are not giving 100% performance, that opengl 3.0 is not working when it does not exists in snow leopard yet, opengl benchmarks without the benchmark box ticked and bother to post xbench scores when it is probably the suckiest gpu benchmark there is. the progress made is great and so what if it does not top a 4870 yet - it's a promise that fermi is coming for mac and with it, fully functional drivers. smalluxgpu is great but i'd like to see some games and pro apps benchmarks too. and consistency of the benchmarks. wrong settings = cpu work instead of gpu = benchmarks based on users CPU and not GPU.

I don't think anyone is complaining. Consider how many people build hackintoshes, then filter only the people with a GTX 465/470/480.

Oh. You forgot that the drivers we are using are for GTX 285 only. Forceware doesn't work with GF100 as the drivers are different from the normal line that ended with the GF200

Managed to get one of my EVGA GTX470's to work very, very easily.

1. Installed Fermi compatible Chameleon from the 1st post onto my thumb drive

2. Installed NVFERMI.Fix.kext from page 8 to /Extra/Extensions and wiped my kextcache

3. Did a standard install of the nividia drivers from the 1st post (just doubleclicked and installed the .mpkg, rather than using pacifist, and double checked my /s/l/e folder to make sure the files installed).

4. Made sure I had Graphics Enabler: Yes in my com.apple.Boot.plist

5. Rebooted and it worked first time!

I do have a second card, which I haven't tried yet. Unfortunately my GA-UD5 mobo short circuited somehow and fried itself so I have to wait two weeks to get a replacement. Meanwhile my two GTX470's are sitting on the shelf. Bummer!

Thanks ! Hint: enabling Benchmark option in OpenGLExtensionsViewer gives even more real world results by working with more objects (many cubes, not only one).

I would not expect that GTX 4xx running high performance with those pre GTX4xx drivers - even good that OpenGL at least works :P

rotation gives me a black screen but cursor is there.....after 15 secs it goes back to default

yes only cursor for me

for me

1.because half of Mac programs can't run without video driver

2.i do multiboot with few linux and few win and i'm tired to change hardware every time

3.i have 3 ATI 4850 but i like more my GTX 480 (start to use cuda)

4.i can wait for better support (i get my GTX 480 on a first sale date and until now video stay on my shelf)