fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

@Frank802,

You can use my Chameleon that I posted in this thread.

You probably only need to replace your 'boot' file in the root of your drive.

Otherwise reinstall Chameleon following the readme.txt in the zip. It's easy.

That should give you the right info in the profiler. Be sure you have GraphicsEnabler in your com.apple.Boot.plist.

BiTRiP

oh WOW bitrip! This is unbelievable news! I for one have been glued to this thread for the past 2 days and waiting to hear about success from others. I have a couple of questions for you already...

1. How's the fan-speeed/temp. situation on your 470?

2. Have you tried any benchmarks or any games with this monster card? (you must be an avid gamer since you own this card, and for academic reasons you must try some games in OSX to verify if there is any noticeable improvement or not).

Last but not the least is it too much to ask (from a noob) like me to request you write a step-by-step noob guide to make this happen?

I'm literally waiting with my breath held... once i hear some answers to my questions, i'm running to the market to buy FERMI!

can't wait....

@Hassan Rai

1. I haven't measured the speed and temp yet but while playing heavy games the card stayed pretty quiet! My old 8800GT was much noisier.

2. No benchmarks yet, I played BadCompany2 in windows7 (dual boot system) and it rocks!

Unfortunately I can confirm cfm that OpenCL is not working yet. So, there is still work to do. :(

But I'm already glad I got this card working with full resolution and QE/CI.

Hi guys i have another problem....in the center of the screen when I drag a window, the movement is not fluid, it seems

that there is no V-Sync(happend only in the centre of the screen) it's strange....

How can i do?

And how can I do to recognize my GTX480 such as CMF???

Help!!!

Thanks!!!

Frank802

PS:Where can I find the bench for OpenCL?

thanks for the reply bitrip;

please look at the previous page and use mitch's utility to benchmark your 480 in OS. (benchmarking in windows is well known already).

No openCL means? I mean what's the draw-back? downside of not haveing openCL support?

okay, i compiled the aserebln bootloader with device id recognition/injection/whatever for gtx 480/470/465/480M and added a dirty hack that inserts the correct amount of vram (so it's displayed correctly in system profiler now).

-> see first post

No openCL means? I mean what's the draw-back? downside of not haveing openCL support?

if you don't need it or know what it means, there is currently no downside for you ;)

Hi guys i have another problem....in the center of the screen when I drag a window, the movement is not fluid, it seems

that there is no V-Sync(happend only in the centre of the screen) it's strange....

i have the same problem :/ suppose we just have to wait for another driver ...

And how can I do to recognize my GTX480 such as CMF???

repeat the steps in the first post

taken from the chameleon install instructions, for non-raid installation and assuming your mac drive is disk0 and your snow leopard volume is disk0s2:

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2
sudo cp boot /

PS:Where can I find the bench for OpenCL?

Here

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/33632/smallluxgpu

There is also an console tab in the tool if the tool didnt crash but gives no results.

To get known if OpenGL runs well (no game needed) the best tool is OpenGLExtensionsViewer.

Run the tests , if they are very low, you dont have OpenGL and the CPU does the work as Softwarerenderer.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/17087...tensions-viewer

Screenshoot shows 8800GTX in benchmark mode (activate that).

Bildschirmfoto_2010_06_21_um_11.18.08.jpg

I don't know how can i install the asesebln_fermi.zip and Chameleon2RC4_r684_GTX4xxSupport_bin.zip

Please Help Me!!!!

Thanks!!

Frank802 =)

Come on Frank, do you even read or are you only 'screaming' when it doesn't work?

I just told that you can (re)install Chameleon following the readme.txt in the zip

Be carefull with "OpenGL working" without an real test (like OpenGLExtensionviewer, Cinema4DBench,...or even older(bad) XBench OpenGL).

Some OpenGL Apps (like GoogleEarth , others) may not fail if OpenGL drivers not work - they use automaticly Apple Software OpenGL Renderer (CPU only work!) insted - perhaps without you see that HW OpenGL doesnt work really.

I also had such OH?! when i had an bad Nvidia driver installed (was my fault :) ). OpenGL worked! - but extreme slow because Apple Software Renderer and NOT GPU! The faster the cpu the more you dont "feel" that slowness in first sight.

I attached my XBench 8800GTX, C2D CPU, Quartz, OpenGL, UI values - (XBench OpenGL is overaged bench - better use much modern OpenGLExensionsViewer Test as bench, but may helpful to see if it works!)

If Fermi is much slower in that tasks QE/OpenGL is not working really.

Bildschirmfoto_2010_06_21_um_20.40.43.jpg

Got it working ok, just needed to copy the boot0 and boot1h (not just boot) from the modded chameleon for it to work.

Will do bench tomorrow and post.

The EFI string i created reported correct memory after adding 0x60000000 to vram, I presume there's a way to add that in so it fixes that as well?

I have an EVGA GTX470; I used the recompiled Aserebln, added my device id to the Resman Info.plist (0x06cd is 470), and it works fine.

Like other people said, V-Sync is disabled, or doesn't work or whatever, so it doesn't appear to perform the best. I haven't tried any steam games yet. I imagine performance isn't fantastic based on http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...d.php?t=1314406.

Has anyone tried the CUDA 3.0 developer drivers from NVIDIA? I see Fermi as a supported device in the device list. I'm not sure if it would add Open CL support or not, but it's worth a shot. I will have my parts within a week so I should be able to try this installation method and the CUDA 3.0 drivers with my EVGA GTX 470.

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/cuda_3_0_downloads.html

I have an EVGA GTX470; I used the recompiled Aserebln, added my device id to the Resman Info.plist (0x06cd is 470), and it works fine.

Like other people said, V-Sync is disabled, or doesn't work or whatever, so it doesn't appear to perform the best. I haven't tried any steam games yet. I imagine performance isn't fantastic based on http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...d.php?t=1314406.

Yep, but better than imagine would be if someone which has little time to use OpenGLExtensensionsviewer or smallluxGPU (oLinks one site in the past) to test and bemchmark the Fermi - would give even an works or works not (really).

anyone ready to write a step-by-step noob guide?

not everyone's blessed with advanced knowledge... that the whole purpose of this forum... i guess :)

Wait, "that the whole purpose of this forum"? You guess?

Nop, you have to do things by yourself. :unsure:

The question you ask, is basic, and has nothing to do with advanced knowledge. Read other topics, and, not only the last page, but beginning from the first posting. Go to the chameleon site and read the docs. You have to know what your doing, otherwise it goes wrong, really wrong. If you see a command, use google, bing, yahoo and read some unix stuff.

There are several docs available. If you don't want to read or learn, then don't do it.

HTH

Hi guys, I applied the changes to the boot and everything works!

But Now there is a new problem!!!! Look!!!

schermata20100622a12354.png

The problem is that i have DDR3 SDRAM!!!!

Before the installation of modified boot my system shows DDR3.....

Someone can Help me???

Thanks!!

Frank802 -_-

I am a bit confused that a lot reports "working" here but no one does report if OpenGL Benches / OpenGL Tools + Apps + Games are working to and how fast. Sure, the full speed of new Fermi need lots of fermi specific opti but it would be helpfull what REALLY works and what not.

So please take a few minutes to check OpenGL with OpenGLExtensionsviewer Bench / XBENCH or smallluxgpu, or any other OpenGL App.

THANKS

Hi,

first of all I'd like to thank everyone around here for the amazing work!

Unfortunately I can't get it to work. These are the steps I've made so far:

1. Installed the aserebln_fermi bootloader

2. Added to the NVDAGF100Hal.kext & NVDAResman.kext the following ID:

0x06cd010de&0xfff0ffff (I have the 470)

3. Installed everything (including the other kext files from the nvidia driver pkg) with kext helper

4. Reboot and blank screen

I also tried this device id:

0x06cd10de&0xfff0ffff --> blank screen...!?

what did i do wrong? Could someone maybe upload the kext files in the way there should be?

I really tried everything I could imagine... and read this thread a thousand times.... argh!

Thanks again for your help :-)

I am a bit confused that a lot reports "working" here but no one does report if OpenGL Benches / OpenGL Tools + Apps + Games are working to and how fast.

first post, second screen.

what did i do wrong? Could someone maybe upload the kext files in the way there should be?

I really tried everything I could imagine... and read this thread a thousand times.... argh!

0x06c010de&0xfff0ffff should actually work fine, because of the (& 0xfff0ffff) this applies to all devices from 0x06c010de to 0x06cf10de.

dunno what else you could have done wrong. you did clear your cache though?

side note: i noticed the vsync issue on my mbp too, so not a fermi driver problem, but a general nvidia driver problem ...

I used.. EVGA GTX 470.

Work fine...

First.. 10.6.4 update.

2. Real Mac Nvidia Driver install ( Kext -> kexthelper )

3. Added to the NVDAGF100Hal.kext & NVDAResman.kext the following ID:

4. Reboot

If HDMI use... NVCAP use..

Boot options.

post-180890-1277245700_thumb.jpg

I used.. EVGA GTX 470.

Work fine...

First.. 10.6.4 update.

2. Real Mac Nvidia Driver install ( Kext -> kexthelper )

3. Added to the NVDAGF100Hal.kext & NVDAResman.kext the following ID:

4. Reboot

If HDMI use... NVCAP use..

Boot options.

You don't need anymore NVDAFF100Hal.kext ans NVDAResman.kext ?