fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

I made an Installer to get GTX 480 working in 10.6.4 or 10.6.5. It also includes a fix for AppleHDA.kext with 2000b. It is really mean't for someone who wishes to use 10.6.5 with a working GTX 480, although it does install NVDAGF100Hal.kext as well. It can be used on 10.6.4 as well as in fact it is a combination of 10.6.4 kexts. It should basically save some time.

So if you have a different sound chip set, Don't forget to UNCHECK that option by going into "customise" during the setup screen, otherwise you will kill your sound - you have been warned.

You will still need to set Graphics Enabler and in your com.apple.boot.plist or whatever method you are using to get qe/ci and use cmf's chameleon bootloader OR use GFX strings.

LINK

It installs the following 10.6.4 Kexts:

GeForce.kext

GeForce7xxxGLDriver.kext

GeForceGA.kext

GeForceGLDriver.kext

GeForceVADriver.kext

NVDAGF100Hal.kext

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

OpenCL.Framework

OpenGL.Framework

AppleHDA.kext with 2000b fix

I accept no responsibility if you trash your system!!

Do you have one for a GTX 470, or do you have any gfx strings i can use? Also i have the 470 in sli will this still work and will i get the benefit of sli in osx?

Thanks

Rhino777, It is much easier if you have access to another mac. You need to get your PCI addresses from windows device manager if you can't boot OSX. Double click your graphics cards in turn in device manager, click the properties tab then from the dropdown box select "location paths". This will give your PCIe paths. These can then be converted to mac ones.

andrewwq2,

I don't really have any pre made strings as they are individual to the motherboard. As above, I can make the string when given the PCIe location paths.

aqua-mac, what are your Benchmark values in OpenGL Extensions viewer for a 480 Card in OSX?

(Please try it with 1024x768 if you're gonna post it.)

BTW, i'm curious what 3DMark Vantage Points you get in Windows on that System with SLI enabled, and i'm also curious if there's Smoke coming out of the Power Socket in the Wall where you plugged that Thing in :)

OK, Using the installer and the instructions form the OP I got my 470 working, kind of. I have all the normal resolution changing and other assorted grand stuff. but I get some horrible tearing when I move windows around.

any suggestions?

DUH! a simple search gave me my answer. thanks for the work thus far on the driver packages.

devilhunter, here is the result as requested. Still not good for such a card. That should change soon as Apple start using GTX 400 series.

Thanks for the heads up, aqua-mac.

But seeing as Apple moves to ATI (now AMD) with the HD 5000 and the new 6000 series in 10.6.4 and 10.6.5 and all, i doubt there will be new graphic drivers from Apple for nVidia Cards again for quite some time.

Considering Apple's perfection obsession with the performance-per-Watt ratio, AMD has now the won the race for this round, leaving the power sucking nVidias out of the Game.

But it's quite a shame, the 460 Series is still a good bang for the buck.

P.S:

I'd be delighted to know where you get your Mac Pro cases for your Projects. :)

I made an Installer to get GTX 480 working in 10.6.4 or 10.6.5. It also includes a fix for AppleHDA.kext with 2000b. It is really mean't for someone who wishes to use 10.6.5 with a working GTX 480, although it does install NVDAGF100Hal.kext as well. It can be used on 10.6.4 as well as in fact it is a combination of 10.6.4 kexts. It should basically save some time.

So if you have a different sound chip set, Don't forget to UNCHECK that option by going into "customise" during the setup screen, otherwise you will kill your sound - you have been warned.

You will still need to set Graphics Enabler and in your com.apple.boot.plist or whatever method you are using to get qe/ci and use cmf's chameleon bootloader OR use GFX strings.

LINK

It installs the following 10.6.4 Kexts:

GeForce.kext

GeForce7xxxGLDriver.kext

GeForceGA.kext

GeForceGLDriver.kext

GeForceVADriver.kext

NVDAGF100Hal.kext

NVDANV40Hal.kext

NVDANV50Hal.kext

NVDAResman.kext

OpenCL.Framework

OpenGL.Framework

AppleHDA.kext with 2000b fix

I accept no responsibility if you trash your system!!

This method plus the GFX string actually worked for me, i had a problem the first time i tried it i kept getting no signal, i was using the mini HDMI from my GTX 480, a simple fix for this was to keep the HDMI connected and connect the DVI on the right side not the one next to the HDMI for some reason using that one didnt work, also if i plug out the mini HDMI and just use the right side DVI connection i just get a black screen took me forever to try these combination anyways, so after i booted it worked with the DVI as the main screen and the HDMI as an extended screen, im using a 47" LCD monitor by the way,don't know if you can do this on a normal monitor..

does anyone know how to make it boot from the mini HDMI and disable extended view.. thanks

hey guys...

first of all thx for the guide and the files. I got my gigabyte gtx 470 working to where the resolution is right and QE/CI are working.

however the card is not detected properly (see attached image) and I always need to boot in safe mode first before I can boot normally or it will give me a kernel panic on boot.

I used your kexts/frameworks and the retailmac installer.

is there anything I can do to rid me of the KP on boot issue? (I don't really care if the card is detected properly as long as it works)

thanks,

kingboarder

screenshot20100903at124m.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Arrgh...been struggling with this for over a week now...

Could somebody please update the first post to plainly state this DOES NOT work on a GTX 460/465? Stating it *might* work on a 460 or a 465 in any form or fashion has made me lose about $90 returning both aforementioned cards. I even managed to flash the 465 successfully with a 470 ROM (though it did not unlock the shaders nor the nonexistent "extra" RAM), but on both the 460 and 465, I got black screens with WindowServer consuming 100% of the CPU.

Just ordered a GTX 470...let's hope this works...

Rhino777, It is much easier if you have access to another mac. You need to get your PCI addresses from windows device manager if you can't boot OSX. Double click your graphics cards in turn in device manager, click the properties tab then from the dropdown box select "location paths". This will give your PCIe paths. These can then be converted to mac ones.

andrewwq2,

I don't really have any pre made strings as they are individual to the motherboard. As above, I can make the string when given the PCIe location paths.

If you could make some GFX strings that would be awesome, these are my PCI paths.

Windows:

PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0500)#PCI(0000)
PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0300)#PCI(0000)

I think this is what they are converted to mac format, but i could be wrong.

PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x5,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)
PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x3,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

This really starts to get annoying, no QE/CI, I can't view images in Preview, can't watch video clips in VLC, can't take screen shots, sleep doesn't work anymore (all these worked previously with my 8800 GTX card). Anyone have an idea how to solve these problems. I have an Asus GTX 470 card on an Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 motherboard. I have followed the instructions on the first post and the system seems to recognize my card, the System Profiler says:

Chipset Model: GeForce GTX 470

Device ID: 0x06cd

Revision ID: 0x00a3

ROM Revision: 70.00.21.00.03

VRAM (Total): 1280 MB