fermi/gtx 480/gtx 470

cmf

1,729 posts in this topic

Maybe with the new GTX 450 (GF104 chip) , drivers are coming soon ....

If will be some GF106 card for mac. nVidia planned to release Quadro 4000 (GF100) for mac in October so I hope better drivers for GF100 is coming soon. Not sure will be drivers for GF104/106 in near future. But who knows? :rolleyes:

Could someone please help me out with the GTX 480M? I'm running it on a Clevo D900F. This thread requires 10.6.4 to be installed before enabling the video card. The problem with this requirement is that the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 will not boot to desktop with the mobile version of GTX 480. GTX 480M needs to be enabled first. That is why I'm getting this after 2 minutes of loading kexts, followed by restart:

Loaded HFS+ file...................

Loaded HFS+ file......................

nVidia Unknown 0MB NVc0 [10de:06ca] :: PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x7,0x0)/Pci(0x0,0x0)

No SMBIOS replacement found.

Patched DMI Table.

No DSDT replacement found. Leaving ACPI data as is

Starting Darwin x86

http://www.kexts.com/forum/kexts-com-premi...-i7-980x-9.html

Hi!

I'm very very new to all this hackintosh stuff (and to be honest, pretty much newbie when it comes to osx at all). Though I'm a Logic Studio fan and finally updating from old {censored} and Hackintosh felt like a good solution for me.

So, I just received today my parts I had carefully picked to be supported. Except the graphics card... I had ordered gts250 but after some delivery issues I ended up picking gtx460 in phone, in hurry and just quickly checking at least 470/480 are supported.. Naturally thought (stupid, i know now) that they must be newer and if they work, 460 should work too...

Now I know better ;) I've Macbook making a boot thumb drive next to me, just built computer with BIOS screen on the other side and in middle I'm reading this topic about how f***ed up I really am now :D

So, forgive me not going through all the stuff in the topics, in short I'm after just one answer: can anyone estimate the time 460 should get working with 10.6.4? Is it week, weeks, months or maybe never? Should I get a new card or fight through some weeks with low resolution (or use win7, it's gonna be a dualboot) in hope of getting working fix?

P.S. In first post there's 460 mentioned (that's how I found this, despite the topic), but last page looks more like 460 is still not working.. Which one to believe?

So, forgive me not going through all the stuff in the topics, in short I'm after just one answer: can anyone estimate the time 460 should get working with 10.6.4? Is it week, weeks, months or maybe never? Should I get a new card or fight through some weeks with low resolution (or use win7, it's gonna be a dualboot) in hope of getting working fix?
If will be some GF106 card for mac. nVidia planned to release Quadro 4000 (GF100) for mac in October so I hope better drivers for GF100 is coming soon. Not sure will be drivers for GF104/106 in near future. But who knows? :thumbsup_anim:

well, since nvidia already listed all their gf100/gf104/gf106/gf108 chips/device-ids in nvdagf100hal.kext and all geforce kexts are basically using the "original" nvidia driver source code, i would guess they will be supported. unless of course apple or nvidia decide to deliberately remove support for these.

if i looked correctly that would mean gtx 460/465/470/480, quadro 4/5/6000, 2nd gen tesla, and possibly lower end gt 4xx cards. as soon as we get a new nvdagf100hal.kext ...

Could someone please help me out with the GTX 480M? I'm running it on a Clevo D900F. This thread requires 10.6.4 to be installed before enabling the video card. The problem with this requirement is that the Snow Leopard 10.6.3 will not boot to desktop with the mobile version of GTX 480. GTX 480M needs to be enabled first. That is why I'm getting this after 2 minutes of loading kexts, followed by restart:

how did you manage to install os x in the first place then? first of all, install the bootloader!

now you have a few different options: 1) somehow manage to boot in vesa mode (remove all geforce/nvidia kexts?) and install 10.6.4 this way. 2) get or make a 10.6.4 install disc 3.) install 10.6.4 somewhere else, make an image and copy it to your laptop.

Thanks for the answer!

One more question:

I've one spare Radeon HD 4830 which people have apparantely got working. If I switch gtx460 to 4830 for now and get everything working, later when there'll be a working solution for gtx460 will it require whole reinstall or will I be able to swap just the gtx460 in? Right now the whole installation process seems so epic to me that I wouldn't want to do it twice just to change the gfx card :)

well, since nvidia already listed all their gf100/gf104/gf106/gf108 chips/device-ids in nvdagf100hal.kext and all geforce kexts are basically using the "original" nvidia driver source code, i would guess they will be supported. unless of course apple or nvidia decide to deliberately remove support for these.

if i looked correctly that would mean gtx 460/465/470/480, quadro 4/5/6000, 2nd gen tesla, and possibly lower end gt 4xx cards. as soon as we get a new nvdagf100hal.kext ...

Listed not means supported or ever be supported. I just wanted to warn people against premature purchase. Don't buy a card before appropriated drivers will come.

Damned ! The beginning of this post has to be changed !

I bought this card thinking that it was supported.

I shouldn't have done such a fast check and should definitely not trust the first thread i read.

Just need to sell it for now and wait for the money to buy a GTX 480 :)

Please correct your post anyway,

PM!

Yes, i want 1280

Should I change <key>VRAM,totalsize</key>

<data>

AAAAIA== ?

But i dont know what to post there:/

Please make it for me m8. here are the files:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8203036/in.plist

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8203036/com.apple.Boot.plist

If you could also edit hide partitions i would be greatful. I dont know if i should put coma betwen them or what,

Thank you in advance. Do you have working vsync?

This should do the trick. No comma needed between hide partitions. You should just be able to use the enclosed com.apple.boot.plist in your Extra folder. vsync will not be fixed until Apple produce an updated NVDAGF100Hal.kext. I just had a look inside the latest 10.6.5 and it's not there. I think we are looking at 10.6.6 or shipping Mac Pro's with Quadro 4000 cards.

Diwad_s_inplist.zip

Got my PNY gtx 470 installed. Everything works fine, the only thing is that every time I boot I have to choose clear my cache or else osx freezes on the apple logo. Also I don't know if anyone else plays stacraft 2 here but the card seems to lag a bit in the game (fps lag). Any ideas? I did repeat the steps after getting everything working btw.

specs:

P55M-UD2

Core i5 760 @ 3.2

4 GB ram

PNY 470 GTX

how did you manage to install os x in the first place then?

I think it's probably as you said, that install worked because it was in VESA mode.

first of all, install the bootloader!

Sorry, I don't understand. I'm using iATKOS S3 V2's bootloader to install and boot up Snow Leopard. Is that what you mean?

now you have a few different options: 1) somehow manage to boot in vesa mode (remove all geforce/nvidia kexts?) and install 10.6.4 this way. 2) get or make a 10.6.4 install disc 3.) install 10.6.4 somewhere else, make an image and copy it to your laptop.

Options 1) and 2) might work for me. For 1) could you tell me how to boot to VESA mode? Do you mean removing geforce/nvidia kexts from the iATKOS install DVD? If so, I don't know how to do that as there are only 9 items visible in Windows and they are no more than a couple kilobytes in size. I've also checked that "show hidden files" is on. If you mean deleting the files already installed on the hard drive, I deleted the following files in "System/Library/Extensions": GeForce.kext, GeForce7xxxGLDriver.bundle, GeForceGA.plugin, GeForceGLDriver.bundle, GeForceVADriver.bundle, NVDANV40Hal.kext, NVDANV50Hal.kext, NVDAResman.kext, NVSMU.kext. But it didn't do squat. It didn't boot me into VESA mode. Do you know of a better way? For 2) I'd thought of the idea but couldn't find any 10.6.4 install disc available online. In that case, do you know how to make an install disc? I don't know how to integrate the 10.6.4 update into the 10.6.3 installation.

Ok forgive me guys, but I have been reading all 38 pages of this massive topic and I am lost. I have the retail lifehacker installation, upgrading from a 9800GTX to a PNY GTX 470 and had it working to an extent on my existing install, but then decided to just do a fresh installation of SL -

MY QUESTION IS SIMPLE:

Step one says to install Snow Leopard 10.6.4 - but how does one do this exactly? My thumbdrive is loading the kexts and stuff I guess from the thumbdrive, or maybe its the GPU itself that is putting my hackie into a KP, but for whatever reason I can't get to the installation screen.

Someone! Anyone! Please help - I have been at this since 6PM last night with 0 sleep and I am about to take a hammer to this piece of {censored} card! BAH!

Any reccomendations - What do I need to do now to get a fresh copy of SL on my computer again?

Ok forgive me guys, but I have been reading all 38 pages of this massive topic and I am lost. I have the retail lifehacker installation, upgrading from a 9800GTX to a PNY GTX 470 and had it working to an extent on my existing install, but then decided to just do a fresh installation of SL -

MY QUESTION IS SIMPLE:

Step one says to install Snow Leopard 10.6.4 - but how does one do this exactly? My thumbdrive is loading the kexts and stuff I guess from the thumbdrive, or maybe its the GPU itself that is putting my hackie into a KP, but for whatever reason I can't get to the installation screen.

Someone! Anyone! Please help - I have been at this since 6PM last night with 0 sleep and I am about to take a hammer to this piece of {censored} card! BAH!

Any reccomendations - What do I need to do now to get a fresh copy of SL on my computer again?

You can use one of tony's mac nvidia boot disc(The experimental nvidia 4xxx supoort) to install a retail copy of leopard if you have compatible hardware.

You can use one of tony's mac nvidia boot disc(The experimental nvidia 4xxx supoort) to install a retail copy of leopard if you have compatible hardware.

Hey thanks rush, quick question though - you said leopard - did you mean to say Snow Leopard? Thanks again for the quick response, I will look into it -

Hey thanks rush, quick question though - you said leopard - did you mean to say Snow Leopard? Thanks again for the quick response, I will look into it -

Just be sure you DON'T load graphicsenabler during setup.

Otherwise it will hang right before loading loginwindow because it can't find nvdagf100.kext on the installation disc.

Without graphicsenabler in com.apple.Boot.plist it will do the setup in low res.

After finishing installation you can go on with installing right kexts to get it working.

Good luck.

BiTRiP