ATI HD 5770

ralfhome

1,160 posts in this topic

At this point, I think you only should see 3 connectors as that is all Apple driver supports.

Things change in Lion, where each connector shows up separately.

This board has been especially helpful recently so I thought I would add some useful info.

As far as running a MDP from Apple on non-Apple cards I can tell you that problem comes from a design issue with earlier 5770 and 5870 cards. They work fine for DP but when adapted for MDP, they are No-Go. Circuit Assembley sells the adapters and they have a page on this on their site.

I have tested many varieties of 5770 and 5870 cards and can tell you that MOST won't run the Apple MDP display.

If you want a cheap (but somewhat loud) card that does this with ease, XFX has a single slot 5770 that runs Apple Display with ease. Sadly Newegg stopped carrying them recently.

There is only 1 5870 I have run into that runs the Apple DIsplays, but with recent 6850/70 developments, you guys would be much better off just getting one of those. I am 99% certain that cards with native MDP will run Apple MDP displays just fine. No "secret signal", just a bad design from ATI.

BTW, definitely NOT a software thing. The 5870 that worked could be flashed with earlier BIOS files and still run MDP. Using BIOS from working card on others didn't give them the magic either. Definitely a hardware thing.

Here is 5770 that works:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardw...lot-review.html

• 2 weeks later...
At this point, I think you only should see 3 connectors as that is all Apple driver supports.

Things change in Lion, where each connector shows up separately.

This board has been especially helpful recently so I thought I would add some useful info.

As far as running a MDP from Apple on non-Apple cards I can tell you that problem comes from a design issue with earlier 5770 and 5870 cards. They work fine for DP but when adapted for MDP, they are No-Go. Circuit Assembley sells the adapters and they have a page on this on their site.

I have tested many varieties of 5770 and 5870 cards and can tell you that MOST won't run the Apple MDP display.

If you want a cheap (but somewhat loud) card that does this with ease, XFX has a single slot 5770 that runs Apple Display with ease. Sadly Newegg stopped carrying them recently.

There is only 1 5870 I have run into that runs the Apple DIsplays, but with recent 6850/70 developments, you guys would be much better off just getting one of those. I am 99% certain that cards with native MDP will run Apple MDP displays just fine. No "secret signal", just a bad design from ATI.

BTW, definitely NOT a software thing. The 5870 that worked could be flashed with earlier BIOS files and still run MDP. Using BIOS from working card on others didn't give them the magic either. Definitely a hardware thing.

Here is 5770 that works:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardw...lot-review.html

Both MSI Hawk 5770 and Asus EAH 5850 can get 3 ports (DP, HDMI, and DVI) working with proper DP->DP cable or DP->HDMI active Eyefinity convertor.

However, Asus EAH 5770 had been removed its Eyefinity function and provided VGA instead of DP port.

Does anyone know if there's a kext for the ATI Radeon 5770 to work on Leopard 10.5.6? My PC won't install Snow Leopard and I'm just going to use Leopard as my temporary solution until I can figure out if it's even possible. I don't think there is one but I guess it would be nice to just get double checked. Thanks.

Sorry, I have no idea about the problem. Is there any sound assertion in kernel.log?

I changed my format in sound-/MIDI settings to 8 channel 16bit from 24bit and I stopped getting those annoying sounds. Currently I don't find anything like you're describing in the logs.

I updated recently to 10.6.7 and I had to reinstall the kext you provided because sound got lost. It works fine now again. Do you know if I need to get a more updated kext?

Anyone know what driver/kext/injector method that produces the best result in speed etc?

Do all methods produce the same result in terms of lets say cinebench speed.

Mac drivers do really suck ass for GPU's Yuuuck.

• 3 weeks later...

I've spent many hours trying to get this working unsuccessfully.

1. Used Andy's BootCD to install vanilla 10.6 on P8P67 (modified ANVAL bootloader for this motherboard / Sandy Bridge chip)

2. + / - (tried both methods) installed his package that replaces ATISupport.kext, ATIFrameBuffer.kext

3. Install the ROM included on page 35, put it in /Extra

4. Tried installing the boot image on page 34, but this crashes with Andy's BootCD. Installed latest Chameleon package (Feb 2011), was able to boot with the boot image on page 34, but had a 1GHz processor (boo unmodified bootloader) and ATI drivers were still not loaded. I used graphicsenabler=yes and useatirom=yes

5. Tried using the Andy's modified ANVAL bootloader without changing the boot file and still didn't work.

6. I have to delete ATIRadeonX3000.kext since this will crash on startup.

Any help? I'm kind of a n00b here but I'm learning fast. How necessary was the boot image you included on page 34? Anyway I can make it work with a sandy bridge-modified bootloader?

thanks...

• 3 weeks later...
that is my vanilla dsdt

if any one need to read it

How can noob like me edit those hexadecimal disk offsets, which I got using ati-personality.pl (masterpiece from bcc9) to get HDMI audio out on ATI HD 5670? Everything else is working perfect on my OS X with Uakari boot (from Kabyl's branche). My HDMI video out is full HD (1920 * 1080), only I get no sound on HDMI. Please anybody, give me some clue, key words, program or commands, I can change bytes in those offsets with. In other words I have a key, but I dont see the door! Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have an ATI HIS-5770 but unfortunately I can not get sound through HDMI. it has been 2 days since I try various manipulation without success: Patched DSDT.aml (besides, I understand very little) replace kext but nothing helped. I saw a configuration file hdmi.dsl but I do not know to use it. I tried to follow the topic but I'm still stuck.

Please someone can it take a look at my file to see what DSDT.aml's wrong and possibly fix it for me.

I'm really desperate.

Sorry for my English

Edit: I have not permission tu upload.

I send it with mégaupload: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0JBQ5WMY

• 2 weeks later...
I just wanted to know if anybody has gotten 3 displays to work with this card?

If yes, which ports did you use?

Both MSI Hawk 5770 and Asus EAH 5850 can get 3 ports (DP, HDMI, and DVI) working with proper DP->DP cable or DP->HDMI active Eyefinity convertor.

However, Asus EAH 5770 had been removed its Eyefinity function and provided VGA instead of DP port.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys

I have read a lot of pages of this thread, but i didn't found solution for me

I can't force my audio working through HDMI

Also the main problem is that my audio working only with patched AppleHDA for ALC1200

So, i have MSI HD5770

Motherboard: P5Q

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.17

• 1 month later...

Hi to all the forums.

I am owner of a Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X, but I have a problem after the first installation of Snow Leopard 10.6.6i by Hazard.

The installation completes successfully, but the first reboot the monitor turns off going into standby mode and the headphones feel the music (think Rock:))

the problem and I can not do any operation.

I tried several guides but with poor results ... could someone kindly tell me some way to solve this annoying problem?

Thanks in advance

Samu

• 3 weeks later...

Hello

I have a small problem with my Gigabyte GV-R5770SL-1GD

After i installed lion(10.7.2) I'm getting graphics error with some flicker randomly and blackout, or random color/lines

Im using chameleon 2.1svn r1684

I tried with and without GraphicsEnabler and with and without ATI ROM etc. but no luck, it seems that it is most stable when GraphicsEnabler is off

The system only recognize it as "ATI HD 5000 Series" (GE=off) or "ATI HD 5700 series" (GE=on)

Have searched for a way to add the card to my DSDT but with no luck, can only find things on adding HDMI audio :/

Anyone have an idea or solution?

Cheers

Magnus

I have 10.6.4 already with 9800gt and now I have HD5770 instaled.

Should I go for Asere_1.1.9_Vervet.pkg.zip, install Ati drivers and delete nv drivers?

THX

Now I am stucked with Ati3000 KP after instalation of Ati zip kekst and I have apple logo loop with safe mode.

I need help please.

Make it works with chameleon RC5 ati init and with ati keksts from ziped file.

Also works with Asere_1.1.9_Vervet.pkg.zip, RC4 and above, no luck without ati init.

Thanks for reading.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I've sapphire 5770 vapor-x 1g and installed lion 10.7.2 with iaktos L2 10.7.2 I'm still trying to get my gpu to work properly but so far nothing.. How can I install this dev and make it work like in this image.. http://piclair.com/jt4f7

Please can someone make a standard install guide for 5770 that works in general for 10.7.2 or 10.6.8 without having to read through the hole thread :(

Is dsdt the best way now days to get stuff working permanently or dose that effect the gpu in a bad way.. if not please post a proper guide here.

I've asus p5w dh deleux..

Please guys help me out I've straggled with this for 2 weeks now.. with latest chameleon 2.1svn.r1768 I only get proper info in about mac.. I'm more interested in a smooth lion os like having the bump in safari when scrolling through pages etc.. btw safari is very slow like hell with only graphic enabler on.. Well I've dvd player working when i start it not that I've played any dvd movie with it so i would know and sure in dashboard widgets adds nicely but i've very hacky safari and no bump or smooth movement in any thing that dose websites..

This how the system looks like today... graphic info http://piclair.com/n1zso pci cards info http://piclair.com/9ayvd

p.s dose smbios version like mac pro 5 or iMac 11.2 for example has any effect on the gpu function with chameleon loader etc or not that important if the card is properly installed..

Please guys just post a complete dsdt guide for sapphire 5770 vapor -x so I can finally install it properly before i damage the gpu in long term use..

Best regards

For anyone who want to use the third monitor.

Credits to bcc9, Alexander Martinez, and others

for ATi HD5770 Sapphire vapor-x (tested on 10.7.2)

please read this link how to

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=273937

Before patching:

Personality: Vervet

ConnectorInfo count in decimal: 4

Disk offset in decimal 485112

0000000 00 04 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 71 00 00 12 04 04 02 got black screen on active DP2DVI

0000010 04 00 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 71 00 00 01 12 01 04

0000020 00 02 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 71 00 00 00 00 06 03

0000030 00 08 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 71 00 00 22 05 05 01

After patching

OK --- change only 71 to 01 for DP line

Personality: Vervet

ConnectorInfo count in decimal: 4

Disk offset in decimal 485112

0000000 00 04 00 00 00 04 00 00 00 01 00 00 12 04 04 02

0000010 04 00 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 71 00 00 01 12 01 04

0000020 00 02 00 00 14 00 00 00 00 71 00 00 00 00 06 03

0000030 00 08 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 71 00 00 22 05 05 01

Got maximum working three monitors properly.

DP2DVI + HDMI + DVI

DP2DVI + DVI + DVI

DP2DVI + DVI2VGA + DVI2VGA, etc.

must use DP to get the third monitor.

also

DP2DVI + HDMI

DP2DVI + DVI, etc

Using Chameleon boot :

in org.chameleon.Boot.plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

Get latest boot from

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=231075 or

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=257464

Edited by VCH888

Thx for posting about sapphire 5770 but as I mentioned I've everything working with graphic enabler =yes but that is not my goal here..

My 10.7.2 is not working smoth like it should in a real mac.. I really dont know why.. However im only using dvi2dvi so not intressted in dp etc..

How dose your sapphire 5770 showing in lion 10.7.2 system info VCH888 ?

Is it like this one here http://piclair.com/jt4f7

not sure btw if this is from 10.6.8 or 10.7.2 but anyway..

Or is like mine here with right gpu name, in this pic i had gp=no thats why its showing 5000 but the gpu is more stable at =no http://piclair.com/n1zso

I just need to get safari working normaly like in real mac with lion 10.7.2 like smooth and you get a bump when you scroll etc.. btw even app store is hacky when scrolling so i geuss there is something missing from the system.. Im not so sure that sapphire 5770 vapor x works ofb with just ch and graphic enabler=yes.

I hope someone have a solution on a great working kext or dsdt patch for that gpu guys.

Best regards

Thx for posting about sapphire 5770 but as I mentioned I've everything working with graphic enabler =yes but that is not my goal here..

My 10.7.2 is not working smoth like it should in a real mac.. I really dont know why.. However im only using dvi2dvi so not intressted in dp etc..

How dose your sapphire 5770 showing in lion 10.7.2 system info VCH888 ?

Is it like this one here http://piclair.com/jt4f7

not sure btw if this is from 10.6.8 or 10.7.2 but anyway..

Or is like mine here with right gpu name, in this pic i had gp=no thats why its showing 5000 but the gpu is more stable at =no http://piclair.com/n1zso

I just need to get safari working normaly like in real mac with lion 10.7.2 like smooth and you get a bump when you scroll etc.. btw evan app store is hacky when scrolling so i geuss there is something missing from the system.. Im not so sure that sapphire 5770 vapor x works ofb with just ch and graphic enabler=yes.

I hope someone have a solution on a great working kext or dsdt patch for that gpu guys.

Best regards

Please post your current DSDT.aml, I will take a look it tonight (my local time).

Please post your current DSDT.aml, I will take a look it tonight (my local time).

Im not using any DSDT.aml mate just GE=Yes with chameleon 2.1svn r1773 iaktos L2 10.7.2 install dvd

here is how the system locks right now.. http://piclair.com/5rf4v

Please mate just take a screenshot with piclair.com and post it here I really need to see if your gpu sys info looks like this http://piclair.com/x9gzh in lion 10.7.2 or not

Are you using DSDT.aml for your sapphire 5770 or just editing the kext to get QE/CI properly working.

Best regards

I read you're talking about scrolling so I think it may be your mouse problem. You may try to use Magic Track Pad.

Sorry, I might not be able to help you solve the problem.

my System Information

ATI Radeon HD 5770:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5770

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x68b8

Revision ID: 0x0000

Displays:

L226WTQ: