ATI HD 5770

ralfhome

1,160 posts in this topic

I'm using trunk rev514, I have installed gfx update 1.0 but now I have black screen

What can I do?

p.s. my graphic card is a Ati Radeon 5770 Vapor-x 1Gb

Edit: I have compiled the last rev516, I'll try it

I will answer my own questions, maybe it help others or someone can help us to find a solution.

I took the screenshots with an overclocked i7 @ 4Ghz and one HD 5850 @ 900 mhz gpu clock / 1200 mhz memory clock.

ATI 58xxx and 59xxxx are amazingly fast in OpenCL even in Win 7

Though I would expect a little bit more from a 58xx card in Cinebench

I think you should easily get more than 45 fr.

Apple/ATI are far behind in their OpenGl implementation a.t.m.

I got nearly the double framerate in Win 7 in Cinebench > 73 fr.

<Mohamed's guide with a lot of different rev 513 bootfiles with each another framebuffer>

Since I got slow Sponza scores with the default rev513 boot (Vervet FB I suppose) and I couldn't get dual DVI to work, I decided to try out all these framebuffers. This is my card. Below are the results. Only things I had to test with, were 2 LG L204WT screens with 1680x1050 resolution and DVI or VGA connectors. Sorry if the results are a bit unstructured.

Conclusion: none of the framebuffers made dual DVI work. Some (Baboon and Eulemur) did put an extra "display connector" in the "about this mac". So I'm hoping DVI + HDMI2DVI will work when I get my hands on such a convertor. Eulemur also took off 5 seconds from the Sponza score. So I'm sticking with that one for the moment.

Would it make sense to ask the manufacturer of the card (Sapphire) what framebuffer I should use?

DVI-A = top port
DVI-B = bottom port

tested
======

Baboon
DVI-A + DVI-B: only DVI-B works. got static/snow for a second after bootup
DVI2VGA-A + DVI-B: only DVI2VGA-A works.
DVI2VGA-B: works but can't choose 1680x1050 resolution
Sponza score: 50

Eulemur
DVI-A + DVI2VGA-B: works, can't choose 1680x1050 (only standard resolutions)
DVI-A + DVI-B: only mirror mode
DVI2VGA-A|B: only see second screen
Sponza score: 48

Vervet
DVI2VGA-B: works
DVI-A + DVI-B: only bottom port
DVI-A + DVI2VGA-B: blank screen at boot and other strange things
(like switching to DVI-B + DVI2VGA-A gives babyblue screen on DVI2VGA)
Sponza score: 53

Langur
no signal on any port, DVI nor DVI2VGA

Alouatta
no signal

Gliff
no signal

Hoolock
no signal

Kipunji
no signal

As posted by tmongkol july 6 2010
So I didn't feel like testing the not working ones again
======================

Uakari
HDMI + DVI + DVI2VGA: got it thru LCD TV fine but got static/snow on LCD monitor

Motmot
DVI-B: works

Baboon
DVI-A + DVI2VGA: works

Uakari
DVI-A + DVI2VGA: works

Colobus
black screen on both DVI

Galago
black screen on both DVI

Douc
black screen on both DVI

TO ANYONE WITH A X3000 KP.... make sure you are booting in 64bit OSX, it fixed my x3000 KP

Thanks I am trying to find that out now. (trying -v)

I installed Hazard 10.6.2 ->10.6.4 Update - How do I tell if it's 32 or 64bit?

Well when I use just -v it goes too fast and my screen gets filled with all the error codes (console type error).

When I use -v -f it hangs after:

ACPI table not found: DSDT.aml

No DSDT found, using 0 as uid value.

Using PCI-Root-UID value:0

Of course I have heard a lot about DSDT but have not had to do anything with it so far.

Since I can only boot into SingleUser do I need to reinstall to do something in GUI for DSDT or is that not a problem?

Thanks.

mohamed kairy has made a new topic that has boot files for all 30 ATI frambuffers, with latest chameleon, i used to have the PCI-ROOT-UID=0 error until i used his latest boot for my GFX card. i have attached the latest vervet framebuffer for you at end of post: its called Vervet.zip.

Hi,

I tested the Langur boot file Chameleon, Boot 7, Boot 8, Boot 9, with a HIS 5870 1gb the driver is working. I've put HIS 5870 rom in extra. Everything ok, except the problem when I scroll in Safari or Firefox it shows SQUARE on a part of the page, Do you have an idea ?? It's very annoying

I've snow leopard 10.6.4 with graphics update 1.0.

Thanks.

use mohamed kairy's latest Uakari boot file (posted at end) should fix it

Vervet.zip

Uakari.zip

I have done the process, and with boot9 file I get after darwin go into Chamaleon (before with other boots after Darwin I got black screen). Now when I select in chamaleon OSX my screen gets black again, so I have to prove another frambuffers but I don´t know where I can get it and how to use them. Please some help for me.

My graphic card is ATI SAPPHIRE 512 MB DDR5. I have to use PCIROOTUID=1 because I had this problem too. I think that perhaps with the correct framebuffer I could get my OSX works finally. Somebody has my same graphic card to know what framebuffer is using?

I have another question... How I could know if I am starting with x64 or x32? My computer is x64 and I use SL 10.6.4 but I don´t know if my system goes into 64 or 32 bits.

Thank you very much!!!

PD. Is there some thread where are alll boots to prove each one? I only have found boot7, boot8, boot9.

Hi,

I tested the Langur boot file Chameleon, Boot 7, Boot 8, Boot 9, with a HIS 5870 1gb the driver is working. I've put HIS 5870 rom in extra. Everything ok, except the problem when I scroll in Safari or Firefox it shows SQUARE on a part of the page, Do you have an idea ?? It's very annoying

I've snow leopard 10.6.4 with graphics update 1.0.

Thanks.

Attached File(s)

Vervet.zip ( 103.2K ) Number of downloads: 9

Uakari.zip ( 103.2K ) Number of downloads: 2

Same Problem. I get the square also, what can I do ?

Thanks

TO ANYONE WITH A X3000 KP.... make sure you are booting in 64bit OSX, it fixed my x3000 KP

mohamed kairy has made a new topic that has boot files for all 30 ATI frambuffers, with latest chameleon, i used to have the PCI-ROOT-UID=0 error until i used his latest boot for my GFX card. i have attached the latest vervet framebuffer for you at end of post: its called Vervet.zip.

Thanks - I tried it out without any luck.

Can anyone make sense of the KP (?) in the image I've attached?

post-302927-1284367980_thumb.jpg

pepole have problem like black screen ,kp etc with defualt frambuffer

try anther frambuffer

here is my topic

there are 30 boot file with 30 frambuffer

but now Kabyl

made boot file which can extract vbios so no need for ati.rom

and add linker that you can change frambuffer with flag :( amazing

this is the topic

try anther frambuffer

here is my topic

but now Kabyl

and add linker that you can change frambuffer with flag :( amazing

this is the topic

Cheers for the links ! Thanks for you work !

try anther frambuffer

here is my topic

but now Kabyl

and add linker that you can change frambuffer with flag ;) amazing

this is the topic

Thank you very much for your answer. It is sad but in my case I will not be able to prove KABYL method because in his thread is not allowed to ask about how it is working :( , and like I am a newbie in this so…. I will have to prove your 30 boot files… it’s a pitty, but thanks a lot for your great work!!!! :D

Guys! I did as described in the topic and my Vapor-X workx like a charm. The only problem is just 23fps in Cinebench 11.5 WFT? Also smallluxGPU show that card is only 725Mhz? is it a bug or Apple underclocks my card?

Also when on desktop I have secondary mouse pointer.

All works with 513 chameleon but no with baboon (black screen) :dev:

Hi! I have tried "almost with success" again. I get the apple screen load (it is different that before, so I think that is good), but it get a infinitive loop. I have capture the screen in verbose mode.

Some idea to help me this works finally at all??

I don´t know what could be the problem. I had to put GRAPHICENABLER=No because with yes I got black screen.

Please, I think that I am very near to get it.... a little help more!!!!

post-636220-1284406876_thumb.jpg

Can you everyone that has a HOW TO, please start posting their own threads than maybe the information is not going to be a one big mess! there now exist 4-5 different methods on how to install the ATI 5770 card one way worse than the other. It's kinda getting ridicules.

One example is posting a tutorial and not being on top of your own {censored}. Copy/Stealing a little info there and posting a little there is doing more harm than good!

Lets try from now on to post information in its fullest form! that is in this community's interest.

bdmesg.zip

this will get chameleon log

Mohamed, sorry for the delay. I was trying to fix my KPs I was getting every time I was shutting down my system. Now that that's been fixed I can come back to the video ROM issue. I did also mdify ati.c (included Vervet since I got 5770 card) and recompiled with the latest chameleon rev515. And you were correct, the bdmesg turned out to be part of their ditribution. However, after I boot with "-v UseAtiROM=no" and get the black screen with fullspeed fans, I have to restart it and then the bdmesg only shows messages from most recent boot, so no luck with that, unless you know where I can find my previous boot messages.

Hi!

First I used Chameleon-2.0-RC5-r518.pkg installer.

I modified com.boot.apple.plist.

I replaced my old card to newest, and started my WIN7.

I saved ROM file from my card with winfash.

I started Snow Leo in 64 bit, but I have only one working DVI output.

I have one DVI LCD one VGA LCD with DVI adapter and one HDMI LCD TV.

I read in this topic, I need to replace boot file to R513, but I have newer.

What can I do?

post-596848-1284413440_thumb.jpg

I have done the process, and with boot9 file I get after darwin go into Chamaleon (before with other boots after Darwin I got black screen). Now when I select in chamaleon OSX my screen gets black again, so I have to prove another frambuffers but I don´t know where I can get it and how to use them. Please some help for me.

My graphic card is ATI SAPPHIRE 512 MB DDR5. I have to use PCIROOTUID=1 because I had this problem too. I think that perhaps with the correct framebuffer I could get my OSX works finally. Somebody has my same graphic card to know what framebuffer is using?

I have another question... How I could know if I am starting with x64 or x32? My computer is x64 and I use SL 10.6.4 but I don´t know if my system goes into 64 or 32 bits.

Thank you very much!!!

PD. Is there some thread where are alll boots to prove each one? I only have found boot7, boot8, boot9.

use Kablys new bootloader it lets you select what Frambuffer to use via a boot command HERE.

it depends on your kernel whether or not you can boot to 64bit

I've currently got an nvidia card running on 10.6.4 with the graphics update. Can I just swap in the 5770 with the required changes (boot file, rom, etc) and expect it to work? Or does this involve a reinstall of the entire OS?

Thanks!

To answer my own question, you do not need to reinstall. Just drop in the required changes and you should be good to go from your existing install. However, I did run into some random screen freezes (mainly to white) which seems to have been fixed by reinstalling the Snow Leopard Graphics Update and/or extracting my own XFX rom with GPUz in windows.

I'm attaching my extracted ROM from XFX 5770 if anyone needs it.

1002_68b8.rom.zip

use Kablys new bootloader it lets you select what Frambuffer to use via a boot command HERE.

it depends on your kernel whether or not you can boot to 64bit

Thanks for the information but unfortunately I don´t know how I could use it :D , so if you don´t mind, could you give a little explanation about the install process and how to change frame buffers? I think that a lot of people will appreciate it, and of course.... ME TOO!!! :D

Thanks!

I replaced Kablys boot file, and works well. :D

Can I use 3 output togather?

Can I use display port?

I would like to buy Led Cinema display, can I use it on display port?

Good forum, whit good people!!!

post-596848-1284415808_thumb.jpg

You said in an earlier post dual DVI didn't work with your rev518 boot. But now it does work with Kabyl's boot. As far as I know, they both use the Vervet framebuffer by default. So it shouldn't have made a difference. Did you change anything else?

And as to your question. My simple logic says that since there is another display connector displayed in the "about this mac", I suppose a third display would be possible. Also, as far as i know, besides the Sapphire 5770 flex eg, most card can only connect 2 DVI/HDMI ports and 1 displayport. So I think that third connector is indeed your displayport.

you may get more ports to use because some boot files arent setup for multiple monitors. kabyls is so are mohamed kairy's.

Thanks for the information but unfortunately I don´t know how I could use it , so if you don´t mind, could you give a little explanation about the install process and how to change frame buffers? I think that a lot of people will appreciate it, and of course.... ME TOO!!!

Thanks!

ddrmama, put kabyls boot file where ever your boot file needs to go (EFI, or Root). then go to c.a.b.p and make sure AtiROM is not in there because kabyls automatically does this and add a new flag named AtiFb=Frambuffer you need

you may get more ports to use because some boot files arent setup for multiple monitors. kabyls is so are mohamed kairy's.

ddrmama, put kabyls boot file where ever your boot file needs to go (EFI, or Root). then go to c.a.b.p and make sure AtiROM is not in there because kabyls automatically does this and add a new flag named AtiFb=Frambuffer you need

Thanks a lot for your information!!! What you mean when say "then go to c.a.b.p." what is that??? I have my rom file in /extra?? I will delete from there, right?