ATI HD 5770

ralfhome

1,160 posts in this topic

Wow great reply thanks for the advice cracking on with that now!

4 - which boot file on page 34 rev513.zip? Just trying to package everything on to my USB before I crack on and try all this out

5. not sure I am going to understand this instruction do you mean add a string called graphicsenabler to boot.plist? and what is ati.rom and what do i have to do with that another string? I follow that I can use the perf panel in the new chameleon to add these but not quite sure what i am adding!

Don't feel obliged to answer those questions! I should be able to work it out when OSx finishes installing...again.

Also - on a side note I plan to dual boot osx (once its installed) with windows 7. I have two hard drives and my plan is to install osx as I am now then unplug that hard drive, plug in my other one and install windows 7 then plug them both in and hopefully the bootloader will work between the two. I'll check this out properly in the other forum later.

yes use

boot file in rev513

second

graphics enabler yes

mean that you enable injector on boot file to work

use ati rom

this becuase injector cant read bios of gfx so it will use bios you put it on extra named as 1002_68b8.rom

and dual boot will work with your way

any thing else

:)

yes use

boot file in rev513

second

graphics enabler yes

mean that you enable injector on boot file to work

use ati rom

this becuase injector cant read bios of gfx so it will use bios you put it on extra named as 1002_68b8.rom

and dual boot will work with your way

any thing else

:)

Thanks a lot sir. My MSI HAWK 5770 is working great now. Jumping mouse and Black Screen (With blowing fans) are gone now. Still I am not able to use my HDMI port. DVI works great. Any help would be highly appreciated.

First of all, thanks for the hard work of everyone on this thread...

I have a x58-ud4p with 3 video cards. 2 x HD5850 overclocked to 940/1200 crossfired and one nVidia 8400GS. At the moment I am using 8400GS when I boot on OSX 10.6.4 and HD5850s when I boot on Win7. I want to use my HD5850s on OSX, but I have some doubts:

1) Will the crossfire create problems, like kernel Panic?

2) Will the overclocked Bios cause some problem?

3) Will I have to disable the crossfire or it will just not work, like it is not there?

4) Will the both cards work (could I plug displays on both)?

5) Is possible to put the kexts of graphics update into extra folder. Will they load on boot? I am thinking to create a USB boot drive, to not have to mess with my setup. But, I am not sure if the will load or if they really need to be on S/L/E.

I know, too much questions at same time... But any help or advice will be really appreciated.

PS: 1) I am planning to use boot 9 and videocard.rom

2) I know this thread is for HD 5770, but none of my questions are card specific. If anyone knows the answer to any of my questions, it will help not only me, but everybody with the same doubts.

Thanks in advance

Ok I may just be an idiot but I can't get this to work...

I'm not sure how I mix your instructions with this ( http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=222761 ) guide - I keep get a KP.

The only bit of your instructions I don't understand are to do with the ati.rom or 1002_68b8.rom - I'm presuming the ati.rom is 1002_68b8.rom? Do i just put it in the extras folder that I've created as per the instructions of the above guide?

Regarding my boot.plist I am using the one from the guide above and just leaving in the graphics enabler do I need to add anything about 1002_68b8.rom?

The bootloader you linked me to doesnt have a perf panel? So i'm not sure what you mean about that?

I am right in saying I don't need to use any of the 5770 drivers/kexts as its the rom that im using instead?

Also regarding multiboot - thanks for the advice on that I'm sure once i get my bloody GPU working all will be fine :)

*also* - each time i get a KP im starting from scratch with my boot132 cd and reinstalling everything again i there a quicker way?

Just wanted to post and say thanks to everyone in this community for making this possible. Fully functional 64-bit machine as of about 10 minutes ago.

Specs:

Intel i7-930

Gigabyte x58a-UD3R ver 1.0 (working LAN, Audio, Sleep, etc)

6 GB OCZ 7-7-7-20 @ 1600mhz

XFX 5770 1GB

Intel 80GB SDD (boot)

WB Caviar Black 1TB (storage)

What I did:

Installed 10.6.3 using Tonymacx86 [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url]-5xxx-3 boot CD

Installed Combo 10.6.4

Ran [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] for Chameleon boot, UserDSDT, and Apps

Restart

Installed GFX update 1.0

Installed ATY_int, proper 32-bit boot.plist, ATI kexts

Working 32-bit OSX 10.6.4, Geekbench score about 8700

Today, I:

Downloaded Chameleon RC5 (trunk 513) and installed

Replaced boot file with Mohamed's bootfile on page 34 of this thread (saved my original on desktop)

Downloaded the 5770 ROM file posted in this thread and installed in EXTRA

Removed ATY_int (saved copy on desktop)

Modified boot.plist to look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>

<key>DropSSDT</key>
<string>yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>UseAtiROM</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>1</string>
<key>Legacy Logo</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
</dict>
</plist>

I then ran Kext Utility and restarted.

Everything in system profiler under extensions shows as 64-bit, my system seems a bit happier.

Thanks again everyone!

Also, any suggestions for benchmarks to run that are 64-bit? What can I run that will help anyone?

Edit: Added my EXTRA folder if anyone wants to have my dsdt or otherwise.

XD3R_ver1.0_5770_64bit.zip

Boot 513 file - ROM extracted from my own Batbmobile card - Lnx2Mac's ethernet driver

10.6.4 + GFX update + 64 bit

Geekbench 64 bit = 9697

Geekbench 32 bit (still in 64 bit OSX) = 8714

I've got my RAM at 1066 and CPU @ 2.8ghz so I think there's still some headroom in there !

ok

here will post guide

1- install snow leopard 10.6 or 10.6.3

2- update to 10.6.4

3- install chamelon

4- replace boot file with my boot file

5-add this codes to boot.plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>UseAtiROM</key>
<string>Yes</string>

6- put rom on extra

7- restart

8-install gfx update 1.0

9- now it work

---------------------------------------

people how have black screen

must try anther frambuffer

this the vervet one

and here there are ten boot file with different frambuffer to whom have problem with ververt

vapor x not work on vervet it work on baboon

Hi Mohamed,

I'm a little puzzled. How does your boot file differ to Traumas version posted earlier in this thread?

trauma! use rev 394 nearly

i use latest trunk 513

changes will be on other features of chameleon

in next relase will add more cards

and make many boot files with diffrent frambuffer for HD5XXX :(

First of all, thanks for the hard work of everyone on this thread...

I have a x58-ud4p with 3 video cards. 2 x HD5850 overclocked to 940/1200 crossfired and one nVidia 8400GS. At the moment I am using 8400GS when I boot on OSX 10.6.4 and HD5850s when I boot on Win7. I want to use my HD5850s on OSX, but I have some doubts:

1) Will the crossfire create problems, like kernel Panic?

2) Will the overclocked Bios cause some problem?

3) Will I have to disable the crossfire or it will just not work, like it is not there?

4) Will the both cards work (could I plug displays on both)?

5) Is possible to put the kexts of graphics update into extra folder. Will they load on boot? I am thinking to create a USB boot drive, to not have to mess with my setup. But, I am not sure if the will load or if they really need to be on S/L/E.

I know, too much questions at same time... But any help or advice will be really appreciated.

PS: 1) I am planning to use boot 9 and videocard.rom

2) I know this thread is for HD 5770, but none of my questions are card specific. If anyone knows the answer to any of my questions, it will help not only me, but everybody with the same doubts.

Thanks in advance

just try and tell me what problem if occured and use of course your rom and rev513 bootfile

Boot.zip

Thanks a Million to Mohamed i have a running Sapphire Vapor-X HD5770 using Graphics Enabler and having a System running 64 Bit vanilla Kernel.

Baboon safed the day! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLmf5IekxC0)

ir_baboon_sniff.gif

Baboon is the Framebuffer that works with this Card.

After a week of hours every day trying to get this thing running now everything except sleep is fine. CI/QE aswell.

Cinebench results are not perfect but ok, maybe wakeup after sleep Problem can be solved aswell. Will look into that later.

Mohamed already put up the Zip with varios bootloaders. Baboon works best for me with the Vapor X card that refused to give a videosignal with loaded drivers untill that.

Mohamed this amazing, bad-ass helpfull guy was supporting me for the last 3 days and im just buffled by his kindnes and the effort he was willing to put into that.

Thank you very much Mohamed.

Will post a detailed How-To the next days on setup Sapphire Vapor X HD5770 with a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 rev.2

Thanks to all the helpfull and brilliant people who made it possible, put huge effort in that and share :)

cheers

Wow finally got it working! Thanks for the guide(s) all working with 2 monitors extended desktop :D PERFECT!

till now idont know what was your problem

you just was asking guestions :D

Thanks a lot sir. My MSI HAWK 5770 is working great now. Jumping mouse and Black Screen (With blowing fans) are gone now. Still I am not able to use my HDMI port. DVI works great. Any help would be highly appreciated.

idont have hdmi display :) so cant test it

and did you used boot 9 from trauma and see if it work or not and tell me :)

What is all this about one have to use double monitors? or both DVI? i only have 1 monitor and was planning on getting a Sapphire HD 5770 will it not work with only the one DVI port in use?

How do you guys like the HD 5770? how is the Desktop view performance like? is browsers like firefox etc sluggish when you drag it?

Please take the time to tell what you like about this card so you can help the next guy out =)

Cheers

What is all this about one have to use double monitors? or both DVI? i only have 1 monitor and was planning on getting a Sapphire HD 5770 will it not work with only the one DVI port in use?

How do you guys like the HD 5770? how is the Desktop view performance like? is browsers like firefox etc sluggish when you drag it?

Please take the time to tell what you like about this card so you can help the next guy out =)

Cheers

it is very good card on my opinion :unsure:

I'm not sure of my problem either...! All working now though just need to get my wifi sorted but thats no biggy!

I would love to make a donation to you or insanelymac or something of your choice in return for your help please let me know which!

what is your wifi chipset

save your money :)

My lan card works fine (I presume I can see it in system profiler) and I have a airport express in the other room so I will use that if all else fails.

I have no wifi card installed as of yet I may buy one if I cant get my WG111v3 working or my Belkin f5d7050 v.4xxx - these are 2 wifi dongles I have around the house.

From all my searches I cant see anyone making these work on 10.6.4 even with the chipset drivers for older versions.

I'll purchase a new pci wifi card now I know my GPU works!

Thanks so much for all the advice!

till now idont know what was your problem

you just was asking guestions ;)

idont have hdmi display :( so cant test it

and did you used boot 9 from trauma and see if it work or not and tell me :(

I did actually. It did not work. With trauma's boot file I was getting black screen + fan blowing 8 out of 10 times. Even when it booted I could not get the HDMI to work. I have seen people adding entries in the following section in ATY_INIT.kext. Could not found anything on MSI HAWK card. It comes with threee ports only. 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, 1 Display port.

<key>ATI Radeon 5700 Series</key>

<dict>

<key>@0,compatible</key>

<string>ATY,Vervet</string>

<key>@0,connector-type</key>

<string>0x00000400</string>

<key>@0,device_type</key>

<string>display</string>

<key>@0,display-type</key>

<string>0x454e4f4e</string>

<key>@0,name</key>

I did actually. It did not work. With trauma's boot file I was getting black screen + fan blowing 8 out of 10 times. Even when it booted I could not get the HDMI to work. I have seen people adding entries in the following section in ATY_INIT.kext. Could not found anything on MSI HAWK card. It comes with threee ports only. 1 DVI, 1 HDMI, 1 Display port.

you say that you have only three connector

and reference cards contain four

so i made bootfile two work 2dvi and display port

so can you take snabshot for graphics/displays on system profiler :)

Do i just replace the existing Boot file just by drag and drop? or do i need to do it in terminal?

thanks

yes just replace it :)

A quick question for you guys, what brand is best to get? I saw two used card for sale from two different guys living close to me. One guy has this Sapphire HD 5770 1GB the other guy has this XFX 5770 1GB.

The guy with the XFX 5770 1GB is the only one who still available to sell his card within 2-3 days. I just want to go and pick up the XFX 5770 1GB card. Is this card perfect?

Need a quick answer.

Cheers

Just ran cinebench, seems about on point but I wonder if the ROM I used might have underclocked my card.

2yvs2gn.jpg

Cinebench is a very good tool to test if your HD 5770 runs perfect with OPENGL

But this benchmark scales also with the CPU and RAM renderspeed.

I attach my small database with my scores to help you to determine if all is well.

Its based on a Quad 9550 and a Sapphire with ATI reference design.

People with Core i 7 Cpus should add about 2 frames to my scores beneath , because of the much faster CPU to RAM speed of the new architecture.

Dont worry if you are 2 or 3 frames below these scores , its based on a very lean configuration.

c931kxenb3m.png

A quick question for you guys, what brand is best to get? I saw two used card for sale from two different guys living close to me. One guy has this Sapphire HD 5770 1GB the other guy has this XFX 5770 1GB.

The guy with the XFX 5770 1GB is the only one who still available to sell his card within 2-3 days. I just want to go and pick up the XFX 5770 1GB card. Is this card perfect?

Need a quick answer.

Cheers

two cards work good

i perfere that it will be refernce one :blush: not edited edition