Welcome to the SigmaTel 9200 Driver Initiative!

james2mart

359 posts in this topic

I wasn't bickering, i was just trying to find out the status of the project. I personally own a macbook pro; i only check this for a friend who owns the e1505. if i personally could help finish this project any faster i would as it would help a good friend of mine out; however, i lack the programming skills to help out with the project. at the same time the computer is not mine so i dont mind running any tests on it if you need a computer as a test dummy :)

Here's all I'm going to say.

The Sigmatel 9200 X-Labs project has stalled out. I'm not saying anymore then that on that subject. Not for me to say.

I'm attempting to pick up and carry it forward now, but I need people who are actually willing to help.

Not even with Coding (though that is always helpful). I need some people with actual Intel Macs who are willing to donate some time (for a secondary theory related to Apple's HDA driver). I need people with the 9223 and 9221 Sigmatels to offer assistance as well.

None of this "I'll beta test {censored}". People who can actually help. I'm not trying to be mean here, but one thing that really annoys me and I'm sure a lot of other devs around here is weeding through 15 pages of "if you need a beta tester" and "any update".

If there's an update you'll know and all devs know there are plenty of people willing to beta test. Posting you are willing to beta test doesn't give you any better chance of doing so.

I can not guarantee any results, only that is being worked on. It may take a while to get something functional for as many Sigmatel chipsets as possible. My aim is NOT the 9200 only. The point is to create a more wide spectrum Sigmatel Driver set.

The BSD driver code is quite straight forward and easy to understand IMHO, so that is where I am starting as well reviewing the code that james posted.

You'll know I am working on this because I too suffer from the Sigmatel issue and I don't like sitting around waiting for other people to fix things. I didn't quit when everyone gave up on getting QE working on the 7500 and I'm not giving up on the Sigmatel sound.

What I do ask is people relax, spend a few bucks on a cheap USB sound port for right now and know that it's being worked on. And if you can help, then help.

I wasn't bickering, i was just trying to find out the status of the project. I personally own a macbook pro; i only check this for a friend who owns the e1505. if i personally could help finish this project any faster i would as it would help a good friend of mine out; however, i lack the programming skills to help out with the project. at the same time the computer is not mine so i dont mind running any tests on it if you need a computer as a test dummy :P

I got an e1505 to :)

macjason

I have been trying to learn some C++ recently so I have 'an understanding' of some of the code to say the least. I have looked through the Source code jame2mart posted and although much of it looks quite complex I can understand various things. I am willing to help with this - I suggest we get an IRC channel set up soon? That way you can tell me what to look at specifically etc. I have Sigmatel 9200 with debug driver results posted in the appropriate thread. Also I don't have access to official Macs - sorry!

EDIT: I have a cheapo USB sound card to make do with if thats of any consequence...

I'm going to be honest... I can't stand IRC. I hate logging into it. I hate chatting in it. I hate having an IRC client on my computer.

I'd rather use an IM client's conference ability.

I'm going to review the debug outputs later.

Right now my migraine is making looking at this screen unbearable.

Thank you so much for pickin up the slack!!! I'm not getting a mac until college, but I am in love with OS X and not having sound is surprizingly VERY hard to keep it on my computer since I LOVE music and have an ipod and everything. Thank you again and hopefully this can get working real soon.

It's going, but slowly for the next bit. I'm currently dealing with some medical issues and the meds are making pretty much useless.

Hey, man. Sorry to hear about the health issues. Take good care of yourself, and I hope you're able to recover quickly.

Wish I could report good news, but health seems to be getting worse. At best I'm only able to stay awake for about 9 hours a day right now...

In the meantime those who want to help can look over the code james posted as that is a basis for what I am doing.

If you are looking to get some information his kext can be modified in the source to read other codecs.

I have an e1505 with Sigmatel 9200, x1400 graphics, and intel wireless.....lol. So as of now OSX is fun to play with, but pretty useless. ;) Funny thing is, in playing with it more and more I am now strongly considering buying a Mac....something i never thought i would say....so maybe making this available to windows users would be a major step forward for apple......If i could just buy a fully functionaly version of OS X to drop on my PC and have it work as it should (hardware is the same as the G5!!!) I would more than willingly shell out the cash to make the switch!!!

Food for thought Apple!!

it's coming along... but i'm sure everyone has noticed i haven't been around... i can only sit in front of a screen for about 30 minutes a day before it's hurts... so it's going slow...

but i've got some handwritten code to try out once i get a little better.