Welcome to the SigmaTel 9200 Driver Initiative!

james2mart

359 posts in this topic

I assume this is the sound type used in the widely-loved Dell E1505 laptops, etc?

And if that is the case, I must say...THANK YOU SO MUCH for your efforts in attempting to write this. People like me who can't code worth a darn truly do appreciate your efforts and work, and I'm 110% behind you -- Look forward to seeing results, but understand it takes time, trial and error. Best of luck and again thank you!

So, this is not for the soundcard on the Intel GNTLKR?

Well, I guess right now it is only for the Sigmatel 9200 (E1505, 1705/9400 ...). It might be used on the other Sigmatels (92X0, the Intel GNTLKR uses the 9220), but I thought their architecture is quiet different from the Sigmatel 9200.

Anyway, I think the best man for this answer is james2mart himself...

All HDA Codecs function in the same way. It is very feasible to write a driver that reads all of the required information from the codec. Unfortunately, it is EXTREMELY difficult. Take a look at the ALSA hda implementation for universal coding. It's about 10 files and close to 10000 lines of code. If you hardcode in the node IDs and types, then you dont have need for all the recursive functions that ALSA uses to determine codec capabilities.

As of now, the hardcoded node IDs are for the Sigmatel 9200, and 9200D, and SOME 9220s that have the device ID of 0x83847690. Basically this driver will MATCH with any HDA codec ON AN ICH7 BUS. It will only work with device IDs 7691 and 7690. If I get it to work.

All I can say is if you can get the sound working on my Dell E1505 you will be a god to many many people. It's the only thing that doesn't work on my E1505, everything else works almost out of the box, including QE video, max resolution on the wide screen, wireless (dell card, not intel pro), bluetooth (dell card) and it's FAST! Even though it's a solo 1.6Ghz, it's still faster at most simple tasks than my dual core 3Gig XP machine.

Good luck!

All I can say is if you can get the sound working on my Dell E1505 you will be a god to many many people. It's the only thing that doesn't work on my E1505, everything else works almost out of the box, including QE video, max resolution on the wide screen, wireless (dell card, not intel pro), bluetooth (dell card) and it's FAST! Even though it's a solo 1.6Ghz, it's still faster at most simple tasks than my dual core 3Gig XP machine.

Good luck!

Yeah, and even sleep works. I just have a little annoyance (besides using only one core and not having sound or wireless) and is that the key right of the left shift button (the "<" & ">" one) just doesn't work =(

Yeah, and even sleep works. I just have a little annoyance (besides using only one core and not having sound or wireless) and is that the key right of the left shift button (the "<" & ">" one) just doesn't work =(

sleep works now?

you don't by chance mean when it idles out do you?

because my screen stays black when I attempt to start it back up...

Has this been patched? if so could you should be the corresponding link/info?

Thanks!

Yeah, I have that problem too on my E1505, if I actually tell it to sleep in OS X it seems ok, but if I close the lid on my laptop I can't get it to wake up. If this is posted elsewhere and I'm just asking a redundant question, apologies :whistle:

But if anyone has advice, it is welcomed!

Both versions, 2 and 3, give no output when i load them in terminal. System.log only recognises my Sudo login and refuses to give either outputs aforementioned in the thread. I have deleted (backedup) the AppleAzaliaAudio.kext and AppleHDA.kext and then proceeded to reboot and repair permissions but still no luck.

This kext is built to work with ICH7 controllers. You have ICH6. You will need to modify the info.plist of the kext to work with your controller. This was mentioned in the first post of the topic. To modify the info.plist file: search the forums.

Well that's the reason it didn't work for me. I don't know how to modify the info.plist correctly, if anyone can help me/us. Just PM, thanks!

OK! I succeeded in changing the Info.plist file. Instructions as follows:

1. Navigate to the directory in which the SigmaTelAudioDriver.kext resides in Terminal and type cd SigmaTelAudioDriver.kext/contents

2. In console type: nano info.plist

3. Scroll down the file to the string which says: <string>0x27d88086</string> and change it so it looks like <string>0x26688086</string> Then write out the file (save it) by pressing control key and 'o' then press control key and 'x' to exit nano. You can now proceed with James2mart's instructions to load the kext and repair permissions.

Make sure you kextunload any previous attempts jsut to be safe.

This is for ICH6 chip (ICH7 users need not do this).

Output from kext:

Jul 15 19:40:47 neonkoalas-computer kernel[0]: -vvvvvv-SUBMIT INFORMATION STARTING HERE-vvvvvv-
Jul 15 19:40:47 neonkoalas-computer kernel[0]: deviceID/VendorID: 0x83847690
Jul 15 19:40:47 neonkoalas-computer kernel[0]: Your codec MATCHES and the
Jul 15 19:40:47 neonkoalas-computer kernel[0]: following values are
Jul 15 19:40:47 neonkoalas-computer kernel[0]: CORRECT and SET BY BIOS.
Jul 15 19:40:47 neonkoalas-computer kernel[0]: SPDIF in: 0x40c001fb
Jul 15 19:40:47 neonkoalas-computer kernel[0]: SPDIF out: 0x404001fa
Jul 15 19:40:47 neonkoalas-computer kernel[0]: port A: 0x0321401f
Jul 15 19:40:47 neonkoalas-computer kernel[0]: port D: 0x90100110
Jul 15 19:40:47 neonkoalas-computer kernel[0]: port C: 0x03a11023
Jul 15 19:40:47 neonkoalas-computer kernel[0]: port B: 0x03811020
Jul 15 19:40:47 neonkoalas-computer kernel[0]: MONO OUT: 0x401001fd
Jul 15 19:40:47 neonkoalas-computer kernel[0]: CDPIN IN: 0x409001fc
Jul 15 19:40:47 neonkoalas-computer kernel[0]: -^^^^^^-SUBMIT INFORMATION CONTAINED HERE-^^^^^^-

Hmmm, I have the same update installed here. I reinstalled after messing with many of the sound stuff just to be sure it was clean and it still chokes. I'll have to dig through the power mgmt settings and see if it fixes things up :P

Thanks!

As you say you are writing this for the ICH7, will it be a simple case of changing the final driver's Info.plist to get it to work on an ICH6 like the debug driver was? My Sigmatel 9200 appears to be exactly the same apart from that one thing.

You're right neonkoala. I'm pretty sure it will work, but I will need ICH6 testers to make sure that it does. I only have ICH7. The linux ALSA driver refers to all of the preset registers as ICH6. Also, Intel's HDA specification sheet has preset register offsets that should be the same for any High Definition Audio Controller. So in theory ICH6 chips should be good to go.

In theory....