GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

well, won't it? I don't know the subtleties of hackintoshing, but when I tried using stell's installer on a hdd with 10.5 installed, it didn't work. The way I imagine it, we won't be able to simply pop in a 10.7 install disc into our system and have it simply install. And unless stell makes a new installer, those like me who don't know a lick about dsdt's chameleon and all that other stuff will be SOL and stuck with 10.6.

running stock lifehacker build (GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx). I'd be more than happy to learn how to update whatever allows me to run my setup if it provides some benefits, but I'm just wondering what the benefits of doing it manually are over using stell's installer.

also, how did you get your triple boot system to work? I remember when I threw in ubuntu into my setup it didn't go so smoothly (ubuntu disk wasn't show up in the other os's and kept getting prompts to initialize that hdd).

One big one I found was instant Bonjour support with the new network kext made by Lnx2Mac and it is much easier to add / remove kexts in the Extra/Extensions folder. My hardware is also recognised better now thanks to the new FakeSMC.kext and the latest Chameleon builds.

Do you have a spare HD to install on to have a play around (You can still boot from the same USB stick if thats the method you used)?

If you are unsure and don't like having a "fiddle around" then perhaps wait and see what 10.7 brings before rushing into things, for me it sometimes feels like I am not happy unless I have something to fix or configure!

EDIT: Triple boot wasn't as hard as I first thought either, I have the text file I created at the time somewhere. I will re-read it to make sure it makes sense then PM it you if you like (Try it on a spare Hd of course!).

It will be interesting to see how Cartri bios machines take 10.7.

I didn't realize that 10.7 (Lion) is going to be a new install not an upgrade likely involving a purchased disc probably probably $29.95 like SL.

Anybody know what would happen if we popped in the Lion upgrade disc?

• 1 month later...
http://www.groths.org/?p=308

anyone know if this will mess with the lifehacker build?

The easiest way to find out is to clone your drive, then boot off of the clone, install the trim software and see if it works. I recommend Carbon Copy Cloner. You really should have a cloned drive anyway with any hack. You never know when the next sw upgrade will be the last.

OK, I've got a fairly standard Lifehacker/Stella Hack that I built in late Sep/early Oct 09. Only substantive changes were to use a C2D E4500 and an EVGA GTS 250 1GB video card. Since the build I updated it with the Stella V3 installer so that I could do the 10.6.3 update. Since then I've done all of the updates up through 10.6.7 (a couple of days ago). The build has been very stable with only 2 small issues. First, when I boot up the machine startup goes normally through the bios screens, then I get the boot loader selection screen (I have a main HD and a cloned backup HD) and then the grey apple as the OS loads. When the grey apple disappears and the desktop should appear, about 30 - 40% of the time I get a blue screen. I then press the reset button on the box and most of the time I then get to the desktop and login screen (sometimes I have to go through the reset step again). Any idea why or what I can do to keep it from happening? Second, in System Profiler my video card chipset model is listed as "Unknown." GPU acceleration does seem to be enabled (checked it with the Chess game). Is this a problem and is there a video card driver update that I could do? Thanks.

when the blue screen comes on, do you panic and restart right away or do you give it some time and then restart? I know I've gotten that screen a few times (even on an actual mac) and from what I can remember, it most likely starts up after a few moments.

If it comes on and then nothing happens, I would suggest you do a fresh install, starting off with the v3 installer. Not sure if that'll fix both problems, but I thought stella fixed it so it would support almost all nvidia cards. Wouldn't hurt to try.

• 2 months later...

i just check latest version of lion on mac bios, info display:this software cant be installed on this computer.

crashing during boot after few seconds. that nrrd some new kext or nrw chamelon-hope will be invented as soon as will be release..

i just check latest version of lion on mac bios, info display:this software cant be installed on this computer.

crashing during boot after few seconds. that nrrd some new kext or nrw chamelon-hope will be invented as soon as will be release..

I hope it gets sorted after the release...which is next week right?

I recently installed 10.6.7 from the Combo update d/l with no problems at all. I read 10.6.8 is going to be released ahead of Lion as well.

I am really considering not switching to Lion, at least for a while, because 10.6 is working without a hitch and I am not excited at all (read: horrified) by the backward intrusion of iOS into the Mac OS. I don't own a iPad or anything with multi-touch, I find the iOS completely un-intuitive and even counter-intuitive (at least to me), and I am so not into the whole thing.

What do you all think, are you gonna switch your LH build over as soon as it is sorted out?

sirlou

I hope it gets sorted after the release...which is next week right?

I recently installed 10.6.7 from the Combo update d/l with no problems at all. I read 10.6.8 is going to be released ahead of Lion as well.

I am really considering not switching to Lion, at least for a while, because 10.6 is working without a hitch and I am not excited at all (read: horrified) by the backward intrusion of iOS into the Mac OS. I don't own a iPad or anything with multi-touch, I find the iOS completely un-intuitive and even counter-intuitive (at least to me), and I am so not into the whole thing.

What do you all think, are you gonna switch your LH build over as soon as it is sorted out?

sirlou

hi Sirlou,

I'm testing Lion Preview 4 on a 24-inch, Late 2006. I bought trackpad and only for that Lion is amazingly friendly. Love it.

my3gbramarrived.png

cheers!