406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

RocketLynx

Insert usb drive and boot hit del to go into bios.

Go into advanced bios features.

Press Enter to go into Hard Disk boot priority.

On my system the usb thumb drive shows up as #4 Centon DS Pro

Select your thumb drive and hit page up to move it to #1

Save changes and reboot, you should be now booting from your thumb drive.

Wow, I stand humbly corrected. I completely forgot about the Hard drive boot priority setting. Caught up in my frantic, middle of the night frenzy to get my system running again, I kept overlooking that step. I was just setting the USB-Zip as first boot, not considering the USB Flash as a Hard Drive and then prioritizing it in front of the real internal drive.

Sometimes I just need a good pop on the head to reboot my CPU.

Thanks again thepretender. Sorry for the frustration on my behalf.

Regards,

Charles

I am having a recurring problem where, at random, my computer will freeze and a grey screen will descend from the top of the display and tell me that "You must restart your computer. Press and hold the power button." It tells me this in many different languages. I am pretty sure it is a KP of the worst kind.

I had tried figuring this out before. I deleted the IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and its respective client to no avail, I still have the same issue (though maybe I didn't delete them correctly? I copied them to another folder and then trashed the ones from the vanilla extensions folder).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this problem is rather crippling.

Paul

mn07,

If that kext is actually your problem it might be in your extentions.mkext file it should be found here /System/Library but rather in /System/Library/caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup delete it and SL will rebuild it on the next boot.

or I found this in another post

"The mkext file is simply a cached version of all your kexts in the Extensions folder. The OS uses it for faster loading of your extensions at boot. The file is automatically recreated whenever the Extensions folder is modified. You can also manually rebuild it yourself at boot with the -f flag."

I am having a recurring problem where, at random, my computer will freeze and a grey screen will descend from the top of the display and tell me that "You must restart your computer. Press and hold the power button." It tells me this in many different languages. I am pretty sure it is a KP of the worst kind.

I had tried figuring this out before. I deleted the IntelCPUPowerManagement.kext and its respective client to no avail, I still have the same issue (though maybe I didn't delete them correctly? I copied them to another folder and then trashed the ones from the vanilla extensions folder).

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this problem is rather crippling.

Paul

I'm having that exact same problem but only after I went to the Cartri 0.8 bios.

mn07,

If that kext is actually your problem it might be in your extentions.mkext file it should be found here /System/Library but rather in /System/Library/caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup delete it and SL will rebuild it on the next boot.

or I found this in another post

"The mkext file is simply a cached version of all your kexts in the Extensions folder. The OS uses it for faster loading of your extensions at boot. The file is automatically recreated whenever the Extensions folder is modified. You can also manually rebuild it yourself at boot with the -f flag."

Alright, so I might need to modify the extensions.mkext file, is that what you're saying?

In case anyone is interested, this is my Ubuntu on Chameleon Guide!

My setup:

750GB HD for Snow Leopard

320GB HD for Windows

1TB HD, 800GB for Snow Leopard Backup and 200GB for Ubuntu

This will also work for a separate Hard Drive for Ubuntu or on a new Mac OS X installation rather than backup. The same principles still apply.

I followed the Ubuntu on Chameleon guide here:

http://www.dailyblogged.com/booting-ubuntu...eon-bootloader/

The process is very simple and there is basically only one step on the website, but there is a specific order of doing things to make it work (As I learned the hard way) so my guide is a little more in depth. So, here goes nothing.....

1. Boot into OSX. It doesn't matter if it's an existing installation or the install.

2. Navigate to Disk Utility.

3. If installing on Separate Hard Drives, follow A. If installing on the same drive, follow B.

a. Format the OSX Hard Drive to the normal Lifehacker guide Specifications. [Mac OS

Extended (Journaled) with GUID Partition Table. If it isn't already, format the Ubuntu Hard Drive as

Free Space with GUID Partition Table.

b. Partition the Hard Drive as two partitions. Make them any size you want. Format the first as Mac OS

Extended (Journaled) and GUID Partition Table and name it what you want your OSX partition to be

named. Format the second as Free Space with GUID Partition Table and name it what you want you Linux

partition to be named.

4. DO NOT WRITE ANYTHING TO THE OSX PARTITION/HARD DRIVE YET. IF THERE IS AN EXISTING OSX INSTALLATION ON A SEPARATE HARD DRIVE, UNPLUG IT BEFORE PROCEEDING.

5. Boot from your Linux CD and choose install.

6. Follow the normal install steps until you get to the Partitioner. Install Ubuntu on the HD you want and as the longest continued free space.

7. Reboot into Linux. Still do not write anything onto the OSX HD/Partition. Navigate to Terminal in Applications>Accessories.

8. Type "df" without quotations. Hit Enter.

9. If you didn't install with any extra options, the HD or Partition with the Mount Point "/" without quotations should be the first one on the list. This is the one we want. Note the name of the Partition. Mine was called /dev/sda3 and yours should be something similar.

10. Type in ""sudo grub-install /dev/sda3" Replace /dev/sda3 with whatever name your partition is.

11. Type your password. And for those of you that don't know, it will not show when you type it.

12. Wait a second until about 8 lines of text appear below the command telling you that it executed and that it was successful with no errors.

13. Chameleon will now be able to see your Ubuntu Hard Drive/Partition.

14. Install OSX or backup OSX on the other partition/hard drive and you're set!

15. To install Windows, just follow the normal procedure of unplugging all other Hard Drives and then plugging them back in when the Windows install is done.

;)

PLEASE NOTE: This will not work if you are trying to install Ubuntu on the same drive AFTER another OSX installation or backup is put on it. Ubuntu MUST be installed first.

ALSO: This guide will only work for Ubuntu and its derivatives. It will not work with other flavors of Linux.

so I used this method to install ubuntu on a separate harddrive (triple boot set up, each os on its own drive). When I did the first restart after ubuntu was installed, I reconnected my drives, let it boot up, and got to the drive selection screen. I picked ubuntu and it loaded up. I ran the update manager and updated everything. Did another restart and when I selected ubuntu, I get a blank screen with a "_" blinking and it stays like that. I can, however, get into ubuntu if I have it boot to that drive without going to the boot selection screen. How can I fix this? Did I do something wrong? Also, is there a way to set it up that the other OS's pick up this drive? When I log into OSX, I get a warning when it's starting up that the drive wasn't recognized, initialize, ignore or unmount? In windows 7, the drive shows up but it's like a blank drive and when I try to open it the window hangs. Any fixes for this?

• 2 weeks later...

.....Wow... alot of movement around here since I last logged on.

Over 100 pages? Congratulations!(?)

I see alot of users moving to Cartri.

I'm still on 10.6.3 as I need it for a backup to my main 3D rig. (Maya)

I need to make sure I can open Maya and actually *use it. (Graphics bugs have been a problem.)

How are the newer builds? (6.4, 6.5)

Many Stella users running newer updates? Any update failures? (Using combo updater)

Thanks for the help, glad the LH build community is still running strong.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm back. :) with lol and drama :)

One of my friends just burned my mobo EP45 UD3P 1.6 by connecting the firewire cable directly from his G5.

His G5 survived.

Happened to other people before (burned mobo), and seems like is got to do with the 30v voltage from Apple's G5 firewire. Who cares.....

The problem is that I can't find the same mobo, hard to find.

QUESTION:

If I buy this one GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, I'll do Cartri on it of course, ...

Do you guys think the hard drive will boot up with my old system or I will have to reinstall?

I used on my burned mobo .8 Cartri macbios, couple kexts, no DSDT.

It should right. I have a 750Gb bootable with all my stuff on it. If I will have to reinstall all the software it will be an infinity of time lost.

I'm posting this to get some advices to be prepared for the moment when I'll receive the new mobo in couple of days.

Hopefully to be able to boot from the same harddrive with a different mobo without complications.

Thanks to all in advance!

Hey guys,

I'm back. :) with lol and drama :)

One of my friends just burned my mobo EP45 UD3P 1.6 by connecting the firewire cable directly from his G5.

His G5 survived.

Happened to other people before (burned mobo), and seems like is got to do with the 30v voltage from Apple's G5 firewire. Who cares.....

The problem is that I can't find the same mobo, hard to find.

QUESTION:

If I buy this one GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, I'll do Cartri on it of course, ...

Do you guys think the hard drive will boot up with my old system or I will have to reinstall?

I used on my burned mobo .8 Cartri macbios, couple kexts, no DSDT.

It should right. I have a 750Gb bootable with all my stuff on it. If I will have to reinstall all the software it will be an infinity of time lost.

I'm posting this to get some advices to be prepared for the moment when I'll receive the new mobo in couple of days.

Hopefully to be able to boot from the same harddrive with a different mobo without complications.

Thanks to all in advance!

Hi Georgiles, Sorry to hear about the loss of your UD3P :D

As for the GA-EP43T-UD3L being very similar except for Realtek ALC888 instead of Realtek ALC889A , you could always install the GA-EP43T-UD3L version of Carti 0.8, but I cant't see a difference from looking through the 2 installers - the hard drive should work. PM me if you need another mac to work out from or any help putting together, I live close to Hollywood 90028

Hi Georgiles, Sorry to hear about the loss of your UD3P :)

As for the GA-EP43T-UD3L being very similar except for Realtek ALC888 instead of Realtek ALC889A , you could always install the GA-EP43T-UD3L version of Carti 0.8, but I cant't see a difference from looking through the 2 installers - the hard drive should work. PM me if you need another mac to work out from or any help putting together, I live close to Hollywood 90028

I like the one suggested on page 93 with the usb3.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...40&st=1840#

Hi Georgiles, Sorry to hear about the loss of your UD3P :)

Hey, thank you so much Brick for the kind offer. Is nice to know we are neighbors. Hopefully I will not have any problems.

Fortunately the Hackintosh Scare Days are over. Easy these days to reinstall or recover working partitions.

No DSDT so the board should just do the trick and boot up. At least I hope so ;) I'm in Northridge now.

@HAVEC

GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-USB3P LGA 775 Intel P45 USB

is good except that my 8GB of RAM are DDR2, so I went ahead and bought this (also price difference):

GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX

Hey all, it's been a while (101+ pages... yikes!).

Lovin' my Lifehacker Hackintosh using Stella's v3 but am unable to upgrade OSX beyond 10.6.2 as I can't get HDMI video out to work (from my PNY 9800GT w/1024MB to HP w2408h monitor... other details in my sig).

Want to use Parallels 6 but it requires OSX 10.6.3 or better. (Want to use the integration with iPad that Parallels 6 offers.)

Couple of questions: Going back a few pages I've read about Cartri... would that solve the HDMI issue (and if so, is there a guide available)?

Or does anyone know if you can install Parallels 6 on 10.6.2? (Would help to know before I purchase.)

Thanks in advance!

Hey, thank you so much Brick for the kind offer. Is nice to know we are neighbors. Hopefully I will not have any problems.

Fortunately the Hackintosh Scare Days are over. Easy these days to reinstall or recover working partitions.

No DSDT so the board should just do the trick and boot up. At least I hope so :( I'm in Northridge now.

@HAVEC

GIGABYTE GA-EP45T-USB3P LGA 775 Intel P45 USB

is good except that my 8GB of RAM are DDR2, so I went ahead and bought this (also price difference):

GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX

The UD3L is a good deal. Anybody with a socket 775 processor and a couple of sticks of DDR2 lying around could put together a Hackintosh for a couple of hundred.

It would be great if you could just drop in your UD3P HDD drive and go. Good luck and please let us know how it works out.

The UD3L is a good deal. Anybody with a socket 775 processor and a couple of sticks of DDR2 lying around could put together a Hackintosh for a couple of hundred.

It would be great if you could just drop in your UD3P HDD drive and go. Good luck and please let us know how it works out.

I'm f...ing speechless!

So, I'm here to report. Received the motherboard today while at work, came home late around 9PM extremely tired after sitting around all day doing nothing.

I could not resist and I started assembling the CPU and all the other parts that I had all laying around disassembled already.

This time around I took it with calm, and hide the cables inside and zip-tie them when needed so the board can breath. Last time I had all the cables randomly shuffled in the case for fast dust collecting and less heat dissipation.

However, long story short, I took the EP45-UD3P 750GB drive and run it on EP43-UD3L.

Everything ran without problems except the sound.

Sound was not a problem as UD3L uses ALC888 and I just needed to load the AppleHDA and Legacy kexts from Cartri.net as directed.

Took me hou ' rs to clean my case, assemble and neat everything out, and minutes to set up the operating system the way I had it with a totally different board model.

This Cartri Bios is just awesome and I could not recommend it more.

If I would've have DSDT and a bunch of kexts instead of macbios, I would've had a whole set of problems that could lead to other problems as all hackintosh apprentices know. lol

Cheap board and very powerful for $70, quads 775 based are geting cheaper, DDR2 ram is getting cheaper too so like Havec states above you can get a nice MacPro running for very cheap.

This way, was a breeze, like changing the board on a real mac. Easier actually.

As far as dropping from UD3P to UD3L:

I do not miss Crossfire function nor the extra PCI-E as I'm using only one videocard, not missing the second LAN (never used it), not missing the firewire 400 as I have a PCI with Firewire 400 & 800 fully recognized (besides that this scumbag firewire on board port was guilty for bricking the board). Off the bat I can't tell anymore differences.

Everything is too good to be true. I'm gonna research tomorrow how much Gygabite is going to charge me to fix the fried UD3P and hopefully I will build a second Hackintosh some time soon.

You guys have fun. ...and girls :( PEACE!

I'm f...ing speechless!

So, I'm here to report. Received the motherboard today while at work, came home late around 9PM extremely tired after sitting around all day doing nothing.

I could not resist and I started assembling the CPU and all the other parts that I had all laying around disassembled already.

This time around I took it with calm, and hide the cables inside and zip-tie them when needed so the board can breath. Last time I had all the cables randomly shuffled in the case for fast dust collecting and less heat dissipation.

However, long story short, I took the EP45-UD3P 750GB drive and run it on EP43-UD3L.

Everything ran without problems except the sound.

Sound was not a problem as UD3L uses ALC888 and I just needed to load the AppleHDA and Legacy kexts from Cartri.net as directed.

Took me hou ' rs to clean my case, assemble and neat everything out, and minutes to set up the operating system the way I had it with a totally different board model.

This Cartri Bios is just awesome and I could not recommend it more.

If I would've have DSDT and a bunch of kexts instead of macbios, I would've had a whole set of problems that could lead to other problems as all hackintosh apprentices know. lol

Cheap board and very powerful for $70, quads 775 based are geting cheaper, DDR2 ram is getting cheaper too so like Havec states above you can get a nice MacPro running for very cheap.

This way, was a breeze, like changing the board on a real mac. Easier actually.

As far as dropping from UD3P to UD3L:

I do not miss Crossfire function nor the extra PCI-E as I'm using only one videocard, not missing the second LAN (never used it), not missing the firewire 400 as I have a PCI with Firewire 400 & 800 fully recognized (besides that this scumbag firewire on board port was guilty for bricking the board). Off the bat I can't tell anymore differences.

Everything is too good to be true. I'm gonna research tomorrow how much Gygabite is going to charge me to fix the fried UD3P and hopefully I will build a second Hackintosh some time soon.

You guys have fun. ...and girls ;) PEACE!

Congratulations! That's really great that your UD3P HDD booted the new UD3L. What kexts are in your Extra/Extensions folder? All I have are the LegacyHDA.kext and fakesmc.kext. Also, are you running a TrendNet NIC in the bottom PCI slot?

After your success I'm really tempted to build a new UD3L system.

My LifeHack is now a year old this week. It's never failed all the way from the original Stella V.1 install -> V.3 -> Cartri 0.8 with all the software updates with the exception of AirPort Utility 5.5.1 and the Remote Desktop Client Update 3.3.2.

Thanks for posting.

New user here....

I just spent that last 4 or 5 hours reading close to this whole thread. I think I got up to page 86 or so. Im just tired. I usually try to figure things out myself before posting on message boards.

So, any help would be gladly appreciated.

I just finished building a Hackintosh following Stella's lifehacker tutorial.

I only used the same board he used. Everything else is different.

My current problem is this. Like others, I am stuck at the "verifying dmi pool data" screen. I don't believe it's any of the components or a mistake in setting the BIOS. I've checked and double checked.

I formatted my thumb drive today using a 10.6.3 retail install disc I bought off of amazon.com. I was wondering if this might be my issue. Meaning, do I need to find a 10.6 install disc on ebay or something...or does the version of OS X not matter in this instance as I've read that the lifehacker hackintosh is able to be updated to 10.6.4.

A point in the right direction would be awesome.

Have a great night all.

Signed,

Tired and frustrated

P.s.

If a listing of my exact components is needed, please let me know and I will provide.

Hi snowhacker,

My current problem is this. Like others, I am stuck at the "verifying dmi pool data" screen

Seems like you are stuck at the point where it's looking for the bootloader. When you run the Lifehacker installer, did you point it to the USB drive with OSX Install on it?

I was wondering if this might be my issue. Meaning, do I need to find a 10.6 install disc on ebay or something...or does the version of OS X not matter in this instance as I've read that the lifehacker hackintosh is able to be updated to 10.6.4.

Both versions of OSX install work

I only used the same board he used. Everything else is different.
Take a minute to fill you signature with your hardware so we can help you more

New user here....

I just spent that last 4 or 5 hours reading ...

Your hardware configuration posted in the signature will definitely help. I would highly recommend to go with Cartri's MacBios route. I understand you have EP45-UD3P. Before updating the Bios make sure you open your computer and read on the motherboard the version you have so you can choose the proper Bios file.

Download here: http://cartri.net/blog/downloads

After you update the bios (make sure you follow the procedure as described in the manual) try to boot the Blackosx bootloader found as well at the link above from a CD and then install either from a restored USB or original Snow Leoprd DVD. Other than that 960Brick was straight to the point.

Congratulations! That's really great that your UD3P HDD booted the new UD3L. What kexts are in your Extra/Extensions folder? All I have are the LegacyHDA.kext and LegacyHDA.kext. Also, are you running a TrendNet NIC in the bottom PCI slot?

After your success I'm really tempted to build a new UD3L system.

My LifeHack is now a year old this week. It's never failed all the way from the original Stella V.1 install -> V.3 -> Cartri 0.8 with all the software updates with the exception of AirPort Utility 5.5.1 and the Remote Desktop Client Update 3.3.2.

Thanks for posting.

I need you to be more specific regarding TrendNet NIC? I don't understand the question.

In the PCI slots I have a firewire 800 card and a 4 port USB PCI card both recognized OOB.

Contents of my Extensions: screenshot20101019at326.png

However, the Jmicron kext is loaded from System/Extensions so no need to be in Extra. I just have a copy there.

For UD3L board the audio chipset is Realtek ALC888 so you will need LegacyHDA.kext for Snow Leo UniFix ALC888 & AppleHDA.kext for 10.6.3+ ALC888 by tmongkol (/S/L/E) both also available for download on cartri.net. I like to back up this stuff.

I'm still on 10.6.3 (did not care about the update) but if you are on 10.6.4 you might ned this Kext-Fixer as well:

ALC-UniFix for 10.6.4+ Unmodified AppleHDA (ALC888 & ALC889)

----------------------------------

I also like to use this particular kext for the LAN: DOWNLOAD HERE ,source: Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx Driver.

screenshot20101019at344.png

I just think it works better, I could be wrong:

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Download and unpack the desired ZIP file

Decide whether to install Debug (this version issues lots of debugging info to the log, so might help debugging if/when issues are found) or Release version

Drag the appropriate version to your desktop

If you have installed other Realtek Network drivers (such as "Chucko" RealtekR1000SL.kext, or "Psystar" RealtekR1000.kext), please remove them from /System/Library/Extensions, and reboot before installing this one.

Install it with tonymacx86's [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] simple installer