406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

Upgrade to 10.6.5 went fine for me too. :(

Now I'm contemplating installing Catri Bios.

Upgraded my cloned usb drive to 10.6.5 under Cartri with out a hitch. I'll give it a day or so and upgrade the main hdd.

Hi, i am installing 10.6.3 onto my pc with a GA-EP45-UD3P and have followed this guide and also tried the old version of this guide with the terminal stuff but every time i boot i get to the grey apple loading screen then it goes to a light blue screen and does nothing. Just stays as a light blue screen -.- no install screen or anything..

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?

Hello.

With regard to the 10.6.5 update, does anyone know if this fixes the HDMI issue? I've not been able to update past 10.6.2 as my monitor has an HDMI input. When I tried the 10.6.3 update I got nothing but a black screen.

Thanks!

Hi, i am installing 10.6.3 onto my pc with a GA-EP45-UD3P and have followed this guide and also tried the old version of this guide with the terminal stuff but every time i boot i get to the grey apple loading screen then it goes to a light blue screen and does nothing. Just stays as a light blue screen -.- no install screen or anything..

only thing I can think of is to make sure all the bios settings are correct. Besides the motherboard, are you using the same cpu, video card, etc? If this lifehacker method doesn't work for you, try their new method using [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url].

Does your Graphics card have two outputs? It might be worth checking the other one if so, just a guess but worth a shot.

Just as a heads up to anyone still on Stell's V3 package...after my upgrade to 10.6.5, my computer kept getting stuck in a boot loop when I would put it to sleep. (I manually put my computer to sleep whenever Im not using it, then wake it back up when I want to)...It would go to sleep, then would try to boot again for another 2 seconds, then shut off, and try again...continuously. For whatever reason, I was able to figure out that some how my bios had been reset. After I got back into the bios, changed them all back to how they should be, everything is working fine. But I was getting that same issue mentioned above where it would get to the grey apple screen, hang for awhile, then get the previously described "No smoking" sign. Check your bios, and even re-install the V3 package if youre worried, and you should be ok. Im still using the v3 with no modifications, and have the exact lifehacker build specs.

Edit: Still having some weird issues even after re-installing v3 on 10.6.5. Strongly considering heading towards kakewalk 3 since its being more regularly supported. Anyone else give it a go? Do You have to totally rebuild, or can you just delete the extras from stell's v3 and try to install kakewalk in its place?

what issues are you having? Did you deviate from the lifehacker hardware list? I have exactly what the lifehacker article suggests except for a different case and heatsink, and i did the update through software update with no issues so far. Computer still goes to sleep and wakes (wish it would do it by pressing a key on the keyboard...as of now and as always I have to press the power button to wake). Computer still runs just as good as when I first got it.

As always, make sure you bios settings are correct and I think I read on stella's blog that you have to disable quick boot or something in bios. I don't remember.

what issues are you having? Did you deviate from the lifehacker hardware list? I have exactly what the lifehacker article suggests except for a different case and heatsink, and i did the update through software update with no issues so far. Computer still goes to sleep and wakes (wish it would do it by pressing a key on the keyboard...as of now and as always I have to press the power button to wake). Computer still runs just as good as when I first got it.

As always, make sure you bios settings are correct and I think I read on stella's blog that you have to disable quick boot or something in bios. I don't remember.

Same as you, I have a different heatsink and thats about it...obviously that wouldnt affect anything. The only other thing I have added is a bluetooth dongle for my apple bluetooth mouse (mighty mouse) and keyboard...which I dont believe is the issue as I switched to my wired mouse...My issue is that it seems like about every 3rd time I put the machine to sleep, it acts like its going to sleep, and then gets stuck in a weird reboot loop where it wont actually start up, nor will it actually shut down. Normally I catch it, hold the power button, and just have to start it up again later, but a few days ago, I hadnt noticed, and it was stuck in the reboot loop for about 30 min.

So yes, in answer to D-an-W's question...yes I am using the apple bluetooth keyboard, and I was using the Mighty Mouse...I have had great success with them, and am able to wake from sleep and put the machine to sleep directly from my keyboard

Can I ask what Bluetooth dongle and drivers you used please? Also, did you try them with Windows 7?

Targus ACB10US Bluetooth Adaptor

No driver needed...its supported by the OS and shows up just like built in bluetooth...I found it in the Apple support forum as one of the only officially supported bluetooth adaptors. I havent tried it in Windows 7...but I would assume it would work with no issues...OSX is always a little more particular about adaptors then Windows.

I currently have a Bluetooth dongle from the Pound shop :) It installs without any problems under Mac, Windows and Ubuntu but I don't have anything to test it on!

Is it safe to assume the Belkin one now sold on the Apple website is the "Supported one"?

Gigabyte returned the repaired EP45-UD3P 1.6 back to me in 6 days. Was covered under 2 years manufacturer warranty. Costed me $6 the postage to send the fried one back to them. Isn't that awesome?

I burned the board a while ago by connection a real G5 firewire to it.

Gigabyte returned the repaired EP45-UD3P 1.6 back to me in 6 days. Was covered under 2 years manufacturer warranty. Costed me $6 the postage to send the fried one back to them. Isn't that awesome?

Wow. Great to hear. Now that's customer service. This is the board that you fried when connecting to a friends computer right?

• 3 weeks later...

So the Cartri Project is now dead and where do we go from here.

Would it be better to go back to a unmodified Gigabyte bios or keep the cartri 0.8.

This has all become more relevant to me for the reasons I wil list below.

I attempted to reinstall os x over my existing installation because I downloaded an isync extension to sync my nokia phone so as to get all the contacts from it. This has then made isync start 3 times a day randomly quite annoying!

Ever since then have had issues with both sound and updating to 10.6.5

I have tried a clean install with both stell V3 and Kakewalk and still seem to be getting the same issues of both no sound and when booting from the new install after updating from 10.6 to 10.6.5 using the combo updater I get a circle with a line through the middle. Only thing I can think of is that I should update incrementally.

one other issue I am having is that I have moved my home folder to anther drive and this is proving to be troublesome to get the new install to recognise this again.

I feel there is something quite basic that I am missing but don't know what.

If one was starting from scratch with a Cartri bios how would you install OS X 10.6.5 to a clean HDD restore from a backup with the home folder moved to a different HDD.

Thanks Damian

So the Cartri Project is now dead and where do we go from here.

Thanks Damian

Didn't know Cartri died.

I think I remember booting from the drive that I cloned before flashing to Cartri under the new Cartri bios. So maybe you don't have to flash back to a previous Gigabyte bios.

AFAIK I'm running 10.6.5 without any hitches.

Sorry to hear about the Cartri project.

Didn't know Cartri died.

I think I remember booting from the drive that I cloned before flashing to Cartri under the new Cartri bios. So maybe you don't have to flash back to a previous Gigabyte bios.

AFAIK I'm running 10.6.5 without any hitches.

Sorry to hear about the Cartri project.

I'm not sure what's going on with Carti. After I read the previous message I checked his site and found:

As explained in the reply to my last post this project is now closed.

Thank and apologies to anyone who offered help in conscience of what was our objective.

For who were here searching bioses…

ask Award/Phoenix/Apple/Gigabyte

This seems to clearly indicate that the project is kaput. However, there was a post made today telling people not to provide versions of cartri bios to other sites. It also states:

Also note that by CLOSED I did not mean “finished”, when ready, the project will come out in a very very easy to use way, and will be distributed freely somehow no-one will be able to earn from it.
Thanks for understanding, And I will try to finish the (big) explanation today so these kind of people (the ones that comes here to cuss me then later wants to earn from our work) can’t get enough time.

Frankly, I'm not sure what's going on since the English isn't exactly clear.

For myself, I don't use the Cartri bios, since my system works fine with my speedstep modified dsdt. However, I've been following progress on it since it was openly announced on these board many months ago.

Same thing happened to me.