GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

I need you to be more specific regarding TrendNet NIC? I don't understand the question.

In the PCI slots I have a firewire 800 card and a 4 port USB PCI card both recognized OOB.

Sorry I got it wrong I have the LegacyHDA and fakemc kexts in my /extra/extensions folder.

In the original Lifehacker build there was a TrendNet network card that had to be in the bottom PCI slot because the onboard ethernet connection supposedly didn't work. I think with later Stella versions the onboard ethernet does in fact work.

Thanks for all the links and pointers for building a UD3L using a cloned UD3P drive. I think I might buy a UD3L board while you can still get them for a rainy day project. Do you happen to know what video cards are supported by the Cartri bios?

Sorry I got it wrong I have the LegacHDA and fakemc kexts in my /extra/extensions folder.

In the original Lifehacker build there was a TrendNet network card that had to be in the bottom PCI slot because the onboard ether net connection supposedly didn't work. I think with later Stella versions the onboard ethernet does in fact work.

I guess what you're saying is that with the JMicron kext in the system/extensions folder is the driver for the onboard ethernet port.

Thanks for all the links and pointers for building a UD3L using a cloned UD3P drive. I think I might buy a UD3L board while you can still get them for a rainy day project. Do you happen to know what video cards are supported by the Cartri bios?

Jmicron.kext is for the ATA (not the SATA) controller to work. I still have an old ATA hardrive and DVD-writer connected.

Forget about any additional network card. The onboard should work perfectly OOB with Cartri Bios or with this kext: (Lnx2Mac's Realtek RTL81xx Driver)

As far as I'm concerned lifehacker is PAST. The whole point is to not deal with/require the DSDT file any longer.

As far as a videocard, with Cartri Bios, if you have these lines in com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

You should be super fine with a 9800+ GTX like I have. Or if you are on the budget, I just picked up from Fry's 3 days ago for a friend's EP45-UD3R based hackpro a XFX 9400GT for $55 tax included. Worked out of the box Dual screen, QE/CI, the whole deal. For $55 9400GT is a pretty sweet/strong video vehicle I would say.

Low profile too! VGA and HDMI worked dual screen, tested with old ass VGA monitor, LCD's DVI and LCD'S DVI connected to DVI to VGA converter.

Did not have a cable handy to test the HDMI port. Hope this helps! :) PEACE!

Just a thought about the 775 platform:

As 775 is getting close to the end of it's life and the prices for it are going DOWN, I decided to write down a cheap and powerful system for people on budget.

Even though we are on budget, I decided to go with EP43T instead of EP43 due to DDR3 support and only $15 difference compared to DDR2.

The Hardware

$80 Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard

$100 CPU: Core 2 Quad Processor Q8300 Boxed

$145 MEMORY: CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model CMX8GX3M4A1333C

$45 VIDEO: SPARKLE SFPX95GT512U2HP GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

---------------------

Total $370 + tax

Find a free old ATX case (trash possibly), ask somebody who bought an iPhone to give you for free one of their two apple stickers and slap it on the case, add a decent power supply like RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 , add a firewire PCI card (optional).

This goes with CARTRI'S BIOS in my book.

Hope this post helps somebody.

CHEERS!

First of all, let me thank 960Brick and Georgiles for their quick responses to my initial inquiry.

I ended up figuring out my problem. In utterly pathetic fashion, I guess the files from Stella's installer never made it onto thumb drive. So, as 960 mentioned, the system was getting stuck on finding the bootloader. I could swear I had checked to see if the files were on there. Anyway, so I reformatted the thumb drive, reinstalled the OS (10.6.3) and used the installer again. This time I checked for the installer files and they were there...

Subsequently, the installation went off without a hitch. Took me about 40 minutes and now I have my first Mac!!!!

I'd like to thank Stella and Adam, as well, for the time they put into this project.

For purposes of giving back to the community in some helpful way, here is my current component list:

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-EP45

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 Yorkfield 2.83GHz 12MB L2 Cache

CPU Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS7000C-ALCU

Graphics: EVGA 512-P3-1140-TR GeForce GTS 250 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16

Memory: Crucial 4GB kit (2GBx2) DDR2 PC2-6400 4-4-4-12 Unbuffered NON-ECC DDR2-800 2.0V

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Network: TRENDnet TEG-PCITXR 10/ 100/ 1000/ 2000Mbps PCI Copper Gigabit Network Adapter

Optical: SAMSUNG DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S223L LightScribe Support

Case: Antec Three Hundred

Power Supply: Antec TP-550 550W

All of these components are currently available at the time of this post.

My system profiler does see the CPU, but does not see the video card. I believe it shows it as a generic. Not sure if this is an issue or not. Also, since this installation is in a Mac environment, I have no control over the speed of it's fan...which seems a little loud.

Other than that, everything seems to be working fine.

Georgiles, you mentioned the Cartri BIOS route and that's piqued my interest. And from my initial reading if I understand it correctly, using this BIOS does away with the DSDT files which I guess stops the OS from looking to the original BIOS?

Again, thank you all for your help....much appreciated.

Georgiles, you mentioned the Cartri BIOS route and that's piqued my interest. And from my initial reading if I understand it correctly, using this BIOS does away with the DSDT files which I guess stops the OS from looking to the original BIOS?

Again, thank you all for your help....much appreciated.

Or the actual BIOS transmitting the right information to the operating system. ;)

Or the actual BIOS transmitting the right information to the operating system. ;)

Ahhhhh, I see. Well, I'll definitely be researching this particular BIOS flash. Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...

So, as of last night, I finally read this entire thread. It took me a few weeks, but I feel I learned a whole hell of a lot and now have a pretty decent foundation.

Memorable posters, who more than did their part, as far as Im concerned are:

cophasor

sbmac

960brick

thepretender

and

georgiles

Thank you guys...you guys rock the hack world.

Granted, my method of build is now "dated" with the Cartri bios method being out, but it still was fun. Ill definitely be flashing that bios as soon as I can.

I do have a question though. The chipset model of my graphics card is unknown. I want to fix this before I flash my bios. Granted, everything is working fine...nice and stable. Now since fixing this entails injecting a string into the DSDT, will that option be moot, since flashing the bios does away with the DSDT?

2ni5e7c.png

<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string></string>
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>5</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Any help would be appreciated.

P.s. George, it's funny that once I started reading about the DSDT stuff I looked on youtube for some tutorials and found those georgeanton videos... Little did I know you were the famous george. I concur that your teeth look great now! And we're neighbors. Im in the valley as well.

so I used this method to install ubuntu on a separate harddrive (triple boot set up, each os on its own drive). When I did the first restart after ubuntu was installed, I reconnected my drives, let it boot up, and got to the drive selection screen. I picked ubuntu and it loaded up. I ran the update manager and updated everything. Did another restart and when I selected ubuntu, I get a blank screen with a "_" blinking and it stays like that. I can, however, get into ubuntu if I have it boot to that drive without going to the boot selection screen. How can I fix this? Did I do something wrong? Also, is there a way to set it up that the other OS's pick up this drive? When I log into OSX, I get a warning when it's starting up that the drive wasn't recognized, initialize, ignore or unmount? In windows 7, the drive shows up but it's like a blank drive and when I try to open it the window hangs. Any fixes for this?

This was awhile ago that you (and I) posted, but if you are still wondering, I would try doing the original terminal commands in Ubuntu.

I actually gave up on ubuntu. A triple boot system is nice and all, but totally unnecessary. I was doing it for the novelty of it, but I can always boot linux through a thumb drive if I need it. Thanks for the tip though.

This thread seems pretty dead, but I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction here. I'm completely happy with my setup as is (stock to the lifehacker guide), but the other day I was playing the batman game and for the first time I was kind of disappointed. I'm running the game on fairly high settings and it's playing rather smoothly (especially for being outputted to 1920X1200). However, I got to one part of the game where there are a lot of particles flying around (second scarecrow encounter) and the game DRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGED. Seriously, it went to somewhere like .5 frames a second probably. It was just for a short few seconds and not during gameplay (kind of a transition between levels), but still, it was upsetting.

TL:DR, I would like to upgrade my video card. I would like to get the best bang for my buck (shooting for the $200 range), and would like a rather effortless installation. I don't really know much about hackintoshing, which is why I went with the lifehacker setup. Don't really know what a dsdt is, or how to install kexts. Not saying it's out of my faculties, but as of now, I'm inexperienced. And I would like to avoid messing with flashing the bios. I understand that many of you enjoy that cartri (sp?) bios, but unless it's totally necessary for a graphics card upgrade, I would like to stay away from it. Any help would be appreciated.

Mr. Bean,

In order to help, please list the components of your system...especially the current video card. Put them in your signature.

I had the lifehacker install as well, but the Cartri Bios is the way to go...at least in my opinion. And it's pretty easy to do.

That said, if you want to keep your install the way it is, I don't think upgrading the video card is all that troublesome.

Does anyone have trouble with booting using V3 and a 2 TB HD? I have made several 1 TB drives that can boot, but when I try to boot from my 2 TB Seagate (formatted the same way as the other drives), I get the boot- testing error after "Verifying DMI Pool Data":

boot0: GPT

boot0: testing

boot0: done

boot1: error

Does the V3 installer have a limitation of less than 2 TB? The only thing substantially different between the Hard drives is that the 2TB volume's name is 2 words and the other drives are 1 word.

I have swapped the SATA cables and BIOS such that the drives that worked off of SATA 1 are now booting off of the 2 TB drive (SATA 5). I've confirmed that the 1TB volumes can boot successfully...but the 2TB drive cannot.

I've deleted /Extras in the 2TB volume and re-installed Stella V3 a couple of times...all without fixing the problem. If I run the bootloader from one of the 1TB drives, it will permit me to switch to the 2 TB drive at the 'Press Any Key to Change Boot Drive' screen in 10.6.4. If I use the 1 TB to boot, I can successfully launch 10.6.4.

Is there something that I'm missing? I've pasted the drive info below in case it helps:

These 2 drives boot just fine:

ST31000520AS:

Capacity: 1 TB (1,000,204,886,016 bytes)

Model: ST31000520AS

Revision: CC32

Serial Number: 5VX07J00

Native Command Queuing: Yes

Queue Depth: 32

Removable Media: Yes

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk2

Rotational Rate: 5900

Medium Type: Rotational

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified

Volumes:

Andoria:

Capacity: 999.86 GB (999,860,912,128 bytes)

Available: 180.85 GB (180,849,647,616 bytes)

Writable: Yes

File System: Journaled HFS+

BSD Name: disk2s2

Mount Point: /Volumes/Andoria

SAMSUNG HD103UI:

Capacity: 1 TB (1,000,204,886,016 bytes)

Model: SAMSUNG HD103UI

Revision: 1AA01111

Serial Number: S1PGJ1DQ504801

BSD Name: disk0

Volumes:

DS9:

Capacity: 999.86 GB (999,860,912,128 bytes)

Available: 172.77 GB (172,773,404,672 bytes)

BSD Name: disk0s2

Mount Point: /Volumes/DS9

This drive is the problematic one:

ST32000542AS:

Capacity: 2 TB (2,000,398,934,016 bytes)

Model: ST32000542AS

Revision: CC34

Serial Number: 5XW0N6L8

BSD Name: disk1

Rotational Rate: 5900

Volumes:

Terra Prime:

Capacity: 2 TB (2,000,054,960,128 bytes)

Available: 1.18 TB (1,181,112,303,616 bytes)

BSD Name: disk1s2

Mount Point: /

Does anyone have trouble with booting using V3 and a 2 TB HD? I have made several 1 TB drives that can boot, but when I try to boot from my 2 TB Seagate (formatted the same way as the other drives), I get the boot- testing error after "Verifying DMI Pool Data":

boot0: GPT

boot0: done

boot1: error

Does the V3 installer have a limitation of less than 2 TB? The only thing substantially different between the Hard drives is that the 2TB volume's name is 2 words and the other drives are 1 word.

1TB limit/partition, you guessed it.

Also, make sure that for 2 words, you underscore it. (no space between the words)

Some OSes have a problem with it, and it's just good practice.

bean5:

You want to upgrade your video card?

Are you at V3 for Stella's installer?

If so, just upgrade to any newer Nvidia card, auto-detection is in full effect.

Not on V3?

Download it,

use your thumbdrive to boot up,

delete your /Extras folder,

install V3 tp your HD,

reboot.

RC:

Memorable posters, who more than did their part, as far as Im concerned are:

cophasor

sbmac

960brick

thepretender

and

georgiles

Thank you guys...you guys rock the hack world.

Thanks RC, I, like the others was just trying to give back what we could after

being helped by so many others.

I couldn't have even scratched this without Stella's awesome work for the build, and Adam bringing it into the light.

Been so long, been lettin the cartri guys take the reigns. ;-D

ps, anyone see that Lifehacker has a new build?

1TB limit, you guessed it.

Also, make sure that for 2 words, you underscore it. (no space between the words)

Some OSes have a problem with it, and it's just good practice.

Ugh. That really puts a damper on my storage hopes. I have two 1 TB and one 2 TB internal drives. I have one 1TB external and a redundant twin 1 TB array. I was hoping to migrate to the 2 TB and using the 1 TB for my movies and photos. Now I have to figure out a new config.

Why is there a 1 TB limit? Is it Apple's issue or the hack issue? Just curious.

RC:

Thanks RC, I, like the others was just trying to give back what we could after

being helped by so many others.

I couldn't have even scratched this without Stella's awesome work for the build, and Adam bringing it into the light.

Been so long, been lettin the cartri guys take the reigns. ;-D

I am now trying to do the same...with my limited bit of knowledge.

I also did a clean install using the Cartri method.

Ugh. That really puts a damper on my storage hopes. I have two 1 TB and one 2 TB internal drives. I have one 1TB external and a redundant twin 1 TB array. I was hoping to migrate to the 2 TB and using the 1 TB for my movies and photos. Now I have to figure out a new config.

Why is there a 1 TB limit? Is it Apple's issue or the hack issue? Just curious.

You can still *use* the 2TB drive, just cut the 2TB into 2 1TB partitions.

No biggie.

I don't know where the limitation comes in, though I *believe it's a hack issue.

(You can search this thread, I believe Stella answered it)

I am now trying to do the same...with my limited bit of knowledge.

I also did a clean install using the Cartri method.

That's how it starts, and the game keeps moving.

Hopefully at some point you'll help someone who feels just as appreciative as you.

Running cartri?

How do you like it? Do you feel it was more labor/tech intensive than the LH build?

George

I was wondering if you could help me.

I am running cartri bios and all is good except that sleep does not work and there is no option for wake on lan in the system preferences.

Keep makin movies !

Thanks Champ

Damian

You can still *use* the 2TB drive, just cut the 2TB into 2 1TB partitions.

No biggie.

I don't know where the limitation comes in, though I *believe it's a hack issue.

(You can search this thread, I believe Stella answered it)

I actually have a single 2 TB partition. I can boot from that 2 TB partition if I use the bootloader from one of my 1 TB drives.

I tried to search the thread, but couldn't find the post describing the size limitation... ;-(

Mr. Bean,

In order to help, please list the components of your system...especially the current video card. Put them in your signature.

I had the lifehacker install as well, but the Cartri Bios is the way to go...at least in my opinion. And it's pretty easy to do.

That said, if you want to keep your install the way it is, I don't think upgrading the video card is all that troublesome.

not to be snarky, but I did mention I have stock lifehacker build, so...

This thread is for us to share our experience with the hardware configuration:

Obviously, the case, the hard disk, and the memory don't have to be the same, but here they are for the sake of posterity:

As for cartri bios, I can understand someone new to the game going for it over stella's package, but I don't see a solid benefit to put in the time and switch over. I'm running a dual boot system running both osx and win7, and I have this ignorant notion that the cartri bios will mess it up. I dunno, I don't know much about this cartri bios and I'm kinda set in my ways. If there are solid benefits that warrant the risk of messing everything up, I'm down for it, but all I hear is no need for dsdt or somehting, and I don't know what else, but I know very little about hackintoshing as it is...the stella/lifehacker method doesn't require that I know what a dsdt is.

@Cohphaser

I am using v3. Thing is, I was looking into getting a gtx460, and a quick search on this site led me to believe that that card won't work on a hackintosh. Am I mistaken? What's a solid video card comparable to that one that'll work with this build (doesn't have to be plug n play...as long as there are instructions out there).

George

I was wondering if you could help me.

I am running cartri bios and all is good except that sleep does not work and there is no option for wake on lan in the system preferences.

Keep makin movies !

Thanks Champ

Damian

Well seems like I have no answer fot this.

I never had it working and never sweat on it.

On my EP45-UD3P board the computer would go to sleep and wake up after 2 seconds.

On my current EP45-UD3L the computer goes to sleep, Tries to wake up (the power goes on but not fully on) then tries to wake up again, sleep, tries the awakening, sleep... and so on in a loop.

Note * Also on this EP45-UD3L the shutdown is weird. The computer shuts down alright but is going to wake up in 3 seconds if I'm not quick enough to turn off the power supply switch.

On the Note*, I did some reading and some say the board is bad, some say there are some solutions.... but my time is so limited right now that I don't bother.

I'm sorry I can't help. read this dude too

I'll keep making movies. Thank you for the support. :)

I actually have a single 2 TB partition. I can boot from that 2 TB partition if I use the bootloader from one of my 1 TB drives.

I tried to search the thread, but couldn't find the post describing the size limitation... ;-(

You know,.. you don't have to suckle on that 1TB drive to boot right?

If you want to you could free that up by using the thumbstick to boot. ;-)

Honestly, there's only one reason to leave it in the 2TB configuration - single files >1TB in size.

Just re-partition the 2TB drive.

Make 2 - 1TB partitions and forget about it.

bean5:

SBMac was always the card guru in this thread.

He made several posts regarding newer GPUs that worked right out of the box.

I don't know off-hand which ones will work, or that will perform the best.

The only way I'd know is to search/Google this thread for one of SBMac's posts.

Give it a shot, couldn't hurt. :-D

I have a USB drive with OSX installer---I'd prefer to have a good drive that would permit me to chose which drive I want to boot off of. But given how the 1TB drive performs well, it's not a big, big deal for me...but I would like to have the ability to select the hard drive that I want booted in software over the ROM BIOS...is there a way to do this?

My reason for wanting a 2TB drive is that OSX naturally defaults to using the single drive for my photos and home movies (for which I use iPhoto and iMovie). Overall, I've found that hard drives seem to do better with 1 single partition---otherwise, when I try to upgrade, I'd have to include both 1 TB partitions (I know it's not a lot of work, but as someone who has managed to formate a 2 partition drive and forgot about the second partition, it is to fool proof myself).

You know,.. you don't have to suckle on that 1TB drive to boot right?

If you want to you could free that up by using the thumbstick to boot. ;-)

Honestly, there's only one reason to leave it in the 2TB configuration - single files >1TB in size.

Just re-partition the 2TB drive.

Make 2 - 1TB partitions and forget about it.

bean5:

SBMac was always the card guru in this thread.

He made several posts regarding newer GPUs that worked right out of the box.

I don't know off-hand which ones will work, or that will perform the best.

The only way I'd know is to search/Google this thread for one of SBMac's posts.

Give it a shot, couldn't hurt. :-D

I have a USB drive with OSX installer---I'd prefer to have a good drive that would permit me to chose which drive I want to boot off of. But given how the 1TB drive performs well, it's not a big, big deal for me...but I would like to have the ability to select the hard drive that I want booted in software over the ROM BIOS...is there a way to do this?

My reason for wanting a 2TB drive is that OSX naturally defaults to using the single drive for my photos and home movies (for which I use iPhoto and iMovie). Overall, I've found that hard drives seem to do better with 1 single partition---otherwise, when I try to upgrade, I'd have to include both 1 TB partitions (I know it's not a lot of work, but as someone who has managed to formate a 2 partition drive and forgot about the second partition, it is to fool proof myself).

Using the thumbdrive will allow you to choose which partition to boot from as well.

Remember, you had to do that very thing for the initial install.

I'm somehow missing your reasoning with iphoto and such.

You can get by doing what you do now, but if you really need the 1TB drive for other things, know that you have the solution.

Happy modding!

Regarding the limit on the HardDrive, from recollection it was 1.5 TB. MacTech85 signature was using a 1.5TB drive back in page 41. We never came to a conclusion why? To have a guess was that Apple was not selling anything that was a large hard drive capacity. The large drives were new to the builds at the end of 2009, well specific to this build.

Looking also around page 41, for another graphics card beside opening the second PCI slot MachTech85 mentioned getting Series 8 or above or you may have to run in 32-bit mode. Dual Cards are possible from RainMan's earlier posts. Just haven't grouped all the posts associated with it. With the Cartri BIOS, possibly many of the kext/installer restrictions have been removed.

With Adam Pash's new build I am interested in the SSD concept for a boot drive. I currently am running 2 1TB drives. Got rid of time machine and I am cloning the 2nd drive with CCC, also using backblaze for online back up.

Getting antsy to mod my machine some more. Thinking of a second Graphics Card and a SSD boot drive. Not sure yet may wait till after the Year end. Using the machine for DVR, so I have to find off time to get the build done.

Just having thoughts that a SSD with just the OS is worth the cost, for a fast boot. I always leave the machine on without sleep mode. Just turn off the monitor. I moved the Dell XP onto the machine using Parallels. I didn't want to boot out of the DVR functionality to run windows.

Was researching making the Snow Leopard a Virtual desktop, but that can only be done with the server. Not worth the dough to do. Would be nice to create multiple desktops configurations to run on a basic boot module. That may be a couple releases away.

Also have been starting to have issues with computer parts bought through Amazon. Bought two items that could not be returned. I was able to get the appropriate items through MonoPrice, correct items shipped at a great price. Amazon, outsourced the order and shipment. Raised the shipping cost and was sent the wrong product. Opened the package, website stated that could not return product when package was opened. Just wanted to place a warning for replacement parts. Better to go to NewEgg or MonoPrice. Got the item ordered at a great price.