GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

I updated my lifehacker hackintosh to 10.6.8 and lost the network. I am using the recommended add-in trendnet ethernet board. Sound works, but I have usb sound and haven't tested board sound...

this is what I did to fix the network in 10.6.8: System profiler said that the ethernet was using the /System/Library/Extensions/RealtekR1000SL.kext instead of the /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext

that was working in 10.6.7 so I removed the RealtekR1000SL.kext and rebuilt the kexts with kext helper and rebooted.

system reset to AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext and ethernet works fine now!

I'm afraid 10.6.8 does not work on cartri bios. so it probably lion will not work as well. if so.... can you remind me how to get back to orgin bios.

I'm running 10.6.8 on a Cartri bios machine. Had to reload the HDA kext. See above. Lion is a different story.

after combo update cant boot so its not only sound :( it working after basic [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but there is lots of other kext in extras which i dont want to and dont know which ones and how can be delated.

after combo update cant boot so its not only sound :) it working after basic [url="http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/"]#####[/url] but there is lots of other kext in extras which i dont want to and dont know which ones and how can be delated.

Here is a pic of my extra folder.

extra_folder.tiff

I guess after reading all of the posts on problems with updating to 10.6.8 I'm a chicken. So far I haven't seen anything in 10.6.8 over 10.6.7 to say I have to do it. I've got a standard Lifehacker build with a PCI network card and a Nvidia GTS 250 video card. It's updated flawlessly since I built it in Oct 2009. Since we'll probably have to have to jump through a lot of hoops in a few weeks time to upgrade to Lion (perhaps shifting to a software setup form TonyMac) I think I'll sit on the fence for this one. Anybody disagree?

I guess after reading all of the posts on problems with updating to 10.6.8 I'm a chicken. So far I haven't seen anything in 10.6.8 over 10.6.7 to say I have to do it. I've got a standard Lifehacker build with a PCI network card and a Nvidia GTS 250 video card. It's updated flawlessly since I built it in Oct 2009. Since we'll probably have to have to jump through a lot of hoops in a few weeks time to upgrade to Lion (perhaps shifting to a software setup form TonyMac) I think I'll sit on the fence for this one. Anybody disagree?

I always clone my working drive to a usb docked hdd using carbon copy cloner (with no advertisements $15). Then I boot off of the usb hdd and update the clone. If everything works I make another copy of the older version and then update or reclone the main hdd to the updated version. That way you have the older version and 2 backups of the new version at all times. You can't go wrong.

I'm afraid 10.6.8 does not work on cartri bios. so it probably lion will not work as well. if so.... can you remind me how to get back to orgin bios.

OS X 10.6.8 does work correctly with Cartri 0.8 BIOS. I have the GA-EP45-UD3P ver 1.6 motherboard and I have had no problems after the update other than the loss of sound. I just went to my Time Capsule and told it to restore the AppleHDA.kext and then rebooted and sound was back as before.

I do not use the on-board Ethernet ports as they are not native to OS X. Instead I use the recommended TrendNet PCI card and it works natively with no extra kexts.

These four items are in my Macintosh HD-->Extra folder:

com.apple.Boot.plist

Extensions (folder)

smbios.plist

Themes (folder for my custom Themes)

These three files are in the Macintosh HD-->Extra-->Extensions folder:

fakesmc.kext (version 2.1)

LegacyHDA.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

This is the code for my com.apple.Boot.plist file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
  <plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
   <key>EthernetBuiltIn</key>
   <string>Yes</string>
   <key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
   <string>Yes</string>
   <key>Graphics Mode</key>
   <string>1920x1200x32</string>
   <key>Kernel</key>
   <string>mach_kernel</string>
   <key>Kernel Flags</key>
   <string></string>
   <key>Timeout</key>
   <string>5</string>
  </dict>
  </plist>

This is the code for my smbios.plist file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
  <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
  <plist version="1.0">
  <dict>
   <key>SMserial</key>
   <string>		   </string>
  </dict>
  </plist>

Note: In the above smbios.plist code, there are eleven spaces for the SMserial string. This wipes out any serial number. That's all the smbios.plist is there for.

No custom kexts are anywhere in my installation other than in the Macintosh HD-->Extra-->Extensions folder. That keeps Apple OS X updates from tampering with them.

Also, since my graphics card is the EVGA 9800GTX+, I've had no problems with video.

Lastly, this installation is a Cartri installation from scratch, not a conversion from my original Pash/Stella installation.

I hope that some of this information will help some of you that may be having trouble since the 10.6.8 update.

I haven't been typing DSDT=cartri each time I select I boot drive from the chameleon boot menu. My 10.6.8 install boots both ways whether I type DSDT=cartri or not. Am I back to the old LH install and not in cartri mode if I don't type in "DSDT=cartri" at boot drive selection?

Everything seems to be working either way in 10.6.8.

I haven't been typing DSDT=cartri each time I select I boot drive from the chameleon boot menu. My 10.6.8 install boots both ways whether I type DSDT=cartri or not. Am I back to the old LH install and not in cartri mode if I don't type in "DSDT=cartri" at boot drive selection?

Everything seems to be working either way in 10.6.8.

From what I understand, on a properly installed Cartri v0.8 system, the system does not rely on a file called DSDT.aml. This was a file necessary on previous Hack systems and also the Lifehacker system from Pash/Stella. After a successful Cartri installation, the DSDT.aml file, usually in the /Extra folder, should have been deleted by you. If the file is still present, the Chameleon bootloader will use the file and boot looking for older kexts necessary in earlier hackintosh systems if DSDT=cartri is NOT typed.

During installation, to test the new Cartri system, you must type DSDT=cartri in order for the boot sequence to ignore the still present DSDT.aml file. If all worked ok then it was safe to delete the DSDT.aml file.

Without the file present, it doesn't matter if you type or not type DSDT=cartri because the system will boot the Cartri installation by default and look the same either way. This makes me pretty sure you do not still have a DSDT.aml file anymore and that's why it looks the same with or without the typed command.

From what I understand, on a properly installed Cartri v0.8 system, the system does not rely on a file called DSDT.aml. This was a file necessary on previous Hack systems and also the Lifehacker system from Pash/Stella. After a successful Cartri installation, the DSDT.aml file, usually in the /Extra folder, should have been deleted by you. If the file is still present, the Chameleon bootloader will use the file and boot looking for older kexts necessary in earlier hackintosh systems if DSDT=cartri is NOT typed.

During installation, to test the new Cartri system, you must type DSDT=cartri in order for the boot sequence to ignore the still present DSDT.aml file. If all worked ok then it was safe to delete the DSDT.aml file.

Without the file present, it doesn't matter if you type or not type DSDT=cartri because the system will boot the Cartri installation by default and look the same either way. This makes me pretty sure you do not still have a DSDT.aml file anymore and that's why it looks the same with or without the typed command.

Thanks for the explanation. Makes total sense. It never said in the Cartri manual that you didn't have to type DSDT=Cartri anymore after deleting the dsdt.aml file wherever it might be in section 6.3.

Our Q9550s have a lot of life left in them. They're still tier 3 processors meaning that it's not worth upgrading to a newer and faster cpu.

I am considering replacing this CPU (E8400) with maybe a Q9650 (Or even a used QX), has anyone done such a move and if so can you "feel" the difference?

According to this cpu hierarchy chart http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-g...cpu,2971-5.html it would appear that it is not worth the money at least for gaming purposes anyway . He says that you want to jump 3 tiers up to be worth the money. I went from a E6600 to the Q9550 and I definitively noticed a bump especially when converting raw image files into jpegs.

The GA-EP45-UD3P is a good overclocking board. You could fiddle with it a bit. If you can get a deal on a used hot cpu I'd do it. This is a good build that's going on 2 years old with 8-rev updates.

I am considering replacing this CPU (E8400) with maybe a Q9650 (Or even a used QX), has anyone done such a move and if so can you "feel" the difference?

The E8400 is the 3GHz Wolfdale right? You probably won't see enough of a benefit for the money you'd need to spend to upgrade. (Unless you buy used - which I guess is a viable option.) New LGA 775 Intel CPUs are surprisingly expensive. When I built my machine in Sept 2009 I paid $220 for my Q9550, now they're listed at $300 on NewEgg. And the Q9650 is $340.

If you're considering buying the processor new, you'd be better off getting a new motherboard with an appropriate Core-i5 or i7 processor. For example a 3.4GHz Core-i7 2600k (good for over clocking) is currently going for $315. While a more modest 3.1 GHz Core-i5 2500 can be had for $190. Of course, these prices will vary somewhat depending on the exact chip model and socket type you select. The problem with this direction is, of course, the additional expense of the new motherboard, cooler, and (probably) memory.

Hi DanW I have overclocked my Q9650 to 3.9ghz running stable for the past year, if you are thinking of getting one.(Geekbench) I've been thinking of going SSD myself.

Hi DanW I have overclocked my Q9650 to 3.9ghz running stable for the past year (Geekbench) it's faster than a 3.1 i7 imac and running stock cooling. I've been thinking of going SSD myself.

Speaking of SSDs, I finally went and ordered a 120GB OWC Mercury Electra 6G this past weekend. The Electra drives are roughly the equivalent of OCZ's Agility3 line. At about $205 it was on par price-wise with other SSD drives. I'd originally considered an OCZ Vertex 2 or 3, but the potential reliability issues and greater cost had me reconsider. I got the OWC drive because of the perceived higher reliability and customer support, plus the 30-day money-back guarantee they offer.

While the performance may not be as high given it's use of asynchronous Nand, I decided to get the model I did because the OWC Vertex 3 equivalent, the Mercury Extreme Pro 6G is going for $280, which is more that I wanted to pay.

Hi DanW I have overclocked my Q9650 to 3.9ghz running stable for the past year, if you are thinking of getting one.(Geekbench) I've been thinking of going SSD myself.

Question time...

What are you idle / load temps?

What settings did you use for 3.9GHz please?

Also, is there a way to get the VID of the CPU from within Mac OS X?

Question time...

What are you idle / load temps?

What settings did you use for 3.9GHz please?

Also, is there a way to get the VID of the CPU from within Mac OS X?

Hi DanW, here's a video of the settings, my memory is 800 so you will have to change those according to your speed. The voltage has to be controlled on both memory and cpu. VCORE,Termination and PLL at "Auto" while high fsb will fry your chip no matter how good your cooling is. My idle is between 38C and 44c depending on ambient temp. ( my cpu push fan hasn't been working for a few months) load is between 55C and 60c

post-524832-1310352020_thumb.jpg

Cheers, I just stuck it at 3.6GHz for now.

I used to be an obsessive Over-clocker, had my E8400 between 4.33 & 4.5GHz but when I moved to OS X I put it back to standard.

Cheers, I just stuck it at 3.6GHz for now.

I used to be an obsessive Over-clocker, had my E8400 between 4.33 & 4.5GHz but when I moved to OS X I put it back to standard.

Taking Havec's advice, I cloned my primary 10.6.7 1TB HD to both my installed 1TB backup and to a spare 750GB WD Black HD I had laying around. I hooked the WD Black drive up via the PCI eSATA bracket that came with our MBs. I then installed 10.6.8 on the WD Black drive. The restart after install failed. After waiting 5 minutes I hit the front panel restart button and the system came up fine. Replaced the 10.6.8 AppleHD.kext with the previous 10.6.7 one (as explained above) and rebuilt the database with KextUtility (v2.50b). After a restart my audio was back. No problems with network access, probably due to using a PCI network card vice the board network.

This is a great forum! Now on to Lion!

This is a great forum! Now on to Lion!

Glad your at 10.6.8. This was the most problematic version upgrade that I've seen here but it looks like it will work on everybody's LH/Cartri systems.

I'm in no hurry to upgrade to Lion but if I get a chance I'll certainly give it a shot on a cloned drive.

Bingo! :D

I guess it's not the end of the line for LH LGA 775 builds yet. Thanks everyone.

I'm still unable to get sound working in 10.6.8. I've got a basic lifehacker build, using Stella v3. I ran the 10.6.8 combo (full) update, after which my Sound System Pref Pane reported no sound output devices save Soundflower.

I extracted the the AppleHDA.kext from the 10.6.7 Combo Update (datestamp 6/25/2011) and copied that in the Volumes/HD/System/Library/Extensions folder.

I did this after I noticed that the AppleHDA.ktext running under 10.6.7 and 10.6.8 had the same date stamp (8/1/2009) so I thought there would be no point in copying the same file. (Am I looking in the right place? Why would it work in 10.6.7 and not 10.6.8?)

So after copying that ktext, I restarted (no effect), ran Ktext Utility (no effect) and also ran Maintenance 3.8 (no effect). Networking and the App Store worked fine, but no sound makes 10.6.8 a no go for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm probably doing something very basic very wrong, if so, please let me know.