GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

Can someone let me know how I remove files from the Extensions.mkext and have Kext Utility recompile it and still boot?

Everything I have tried to do to it so far just result in getting stuck at the grey screen with a spinny thing, even booting with -x or -v.

Basically I am trying to up date this clone drive I have with all the latest and greatest as it has been a while since v3 was released and it seems we don't need some of these files now?

The issue here is that StellV3 for the LifeHacker install includes only the mkext file and not the uncompiled kexts. IMO, the best way to handle this is to decode the mkext to see what kexts make it up (There's a utility that can do this but I don't recall off the top of my head. When I get the chance to check later this evening I'll let you know.) then go out and download the most recent versions of the kexts yourself. After doing this you can stick the kexts in the Extra/Extensions folder and delete the mkext file (You can then run kext utility, or let it be rebuilt upon reboot).

This way you get the most recent versions of the kext, and can manually adjust your kext load out.

That sounds like a solid route...

I think you should be able to right click on the .mkext file and click on show package contents and it'll show you whats in the file.

I have been using Kext Utility to extract the mkext file into a folder and then using it to rebuild the mkext once done with the files. A reboot at this point then causes the lockup I mentioned.

So, it's either a case of OSX not liking the files I changed or the mkext isn't being built correctly.

I will try again with just the original files extracted to test the method.

So, I extracted \Extra\Extensions.mkext and placed all the unmodified extracted files in \Extra\Extensions

Upon reboot I get the same freeze as before, I have to boot into Single user, delete the folder and rename a backup Extensions.bak.mkext to Extensions.mkext then with another reboot all is good again.

Tomorrow I will try an extracted and rebuilt mkext (Using the tools above as well as Kext Utility) without modifying any files too make sure that boots ok...

Been trying a fresh "manual" install today, trying to get used to what does what and what goes where.

What I can't fathom is how Stell's v3 does it's auto-sense audio thing, what file does it use for this...anyone know?

I got everything running but no audio and I can't see where Stell's package does it's magic?

Been trying a fresh "manual" install today, trying to get used to what does what and what goes where.

What I can't fathom is how Stell's v3 does it's auto-sense audio thing, what file does it use for this...anyone know?

I got everything running but no audio and I can't see where Stell's package does it's magic?

Did you install LegacyHDA.kext? I have the GA-EP45-UD3P Ver. 1.6 motherboard but I don't know what audio chip is on your Ver. 1.0 board. Mine is an ALC889a audio chip. Don't crucify me on this board if I'm not 100% correct, I'm just trying to help this guy, however, it is my belief that the LegacyHDA.kext allows the OS to think it's addressing an ALC885 chip that is native to the Mac. In other words, the ALC889a works the same as an 885 so, if OS X 10.6.x thinks it's an 885, it will use it correctly. The LegacyHDA.kext has only a info.plist text file in it that does it's magic. There is nothing else in it.

Be sure and check what audio chip you have because it may be an 889 and it is different from an 889a.

Don't forget, after the correct installation of the audio kexts, you still have to go into system preferences and set the audio sound output to the correct audio connector. I found this out the hard way last year after my first Pash/Stell V2 install. I thought I didn't have sound and then I set it up in preferences and all was good.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, my board also uses the 889a like you said...

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-p...spx?pid=2919#sp

I don't have any time now but will try again tonight.

I have a EP45C-UD3R and it uses the same audio as yours. Did a patch in DSDT and only need to run Legacy.kext in /E/E and it survives all updates.

I have a EP45C-UD3R and it uses the same audio as yours. Did a patch in DSDT and only need to run Legacy.kext in /E/E and it survives all updates.

I have "built" my own DSDT.aml last night using MaLd0n's software and will be trying it later tonight, what patch did you do and what Legacy.kext did you use please?

"Extra" Folder + DSDT + Chameleon RC5

Extra

Extra.zip

DSDT

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523

Chameleon RC5

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=85487

DTGP

HDEF

HID/CID

EHCI

HPET

RTC

IRQs

RENAMED DEVICES

SMBUS

SHUTDOWN

REMOVED DEVICES

LPC

FIX WARNINGS

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, so I have the exact same components as the guide, except I am using an older nVidia 7600gt card (which should be compatible with OSX). Boot up goes to the apple logo and then goes to a light blue screen... Then nothing.

Is it something to do with the resolution of the graphics card and I'm just not able to see the full screen to install... or could this be something else? I am using a new ASUS 24' monitor, for what it is worth.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Hi did you ever resolve this?, I've seen this on a couple of posts now and I have the exact same thing with my 7600gt card.

I installed 10.6 no problem and everything worked perfect , then upgraded to 10.6.6 in software update and now get this issue! ...just hangs on light blue screen, anybody got any ideas or can help?, I was thinking of getting a new graphics card but don't want to if I don't have to!

thanks in advance

Andy

so I'm probably better of changing my graphics card to an 8800 or 9800 something like that if I want to get the benefit of the 64 bit apps and 8gb ram?

With OS X you can use 32-bit kernel and run 64-bit apps and use more than 4 GB of memory. 64-bit kernel is little bit faster but there is no practical difference in performance.

With OS X you can use 32-bit kernel and run 64-bit apps and use more than 4 GB of memory. 64-bit kernel is little bit faster but there is no practical difference in performance.

Thanks for the info, got it running on 32bit kernel, like you said no real noticeable difference in performance, 64bit processes running fine, everything running pukka!!

Cheers! :D