GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

I'm still unable to get sound working in 10.6.8. I've got a basic lifehacker build, using Stella v3. I ran the 10.6.8 combo (full) update, after which my Sound System Pref Pane reported no sound output devices save Soundflower.

I extracted the the AppleHDA.kext from the 10.6.7 Combo Update (datestamp 6/25/2011) and copied that in the Volumes/HD/System/Library/Extensions folder.

I did this after I noticed that the AppleHDA.kext running under 10.6.7 and 10.6.8 had the same date stamp (8/1/2009) so I thought there would be no point in copying the same file. (Am I looking in the right place? Why would it work in 10.6.7 and not 10.6.8?)

So after copying that kext, I restarted (no effect), ran Ktext Utility (no effect) and also ran Maintenance 3.8 (no effect). Networking and the App Store worked fine, but no sound makes 10.6.8 a no go for me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm probably doing something very basic very wrong, if so, please let me know.

You should be able to use the file from 10.6.7 regardless of the date stamp - pay attention to the version number instead. They should be different. If you have a backup of 10.6.7 when it was working try pulling the AppleHDA kext from that.

(Of course, don't forget to rerun Kext Utility - make sure you have the most recent version of it too.)

Lion install report...

Lifehacker build converted to .8 Cartri Bios.

Lion GM got everything working except sleep, works but resets bios :D

I think it's a Chameleon problem blocking something in the bios and messing with sleep.

If I get bored I may revert to Gigabyte bios and try again.

Biggest problem I had earlier versions of Lion friendly Chameleon on install usb stick would not boot. Changed to latest build of Chameleon and got it to work. (only after setting up a hard drive as a install disk)

You should be able to use the file from 10.6.7 regardless of the date stamp - pay attention to the version number instead. They should be different. If you have a backup of 10.6.7 when it was working try pulling the AppleHDA kext from that.

(Of course, don't forget to rerun Kext Utility - make sure you have the most recent version of it too.)

You were right, the other ktext (ver 1.9.9f12) did the trick. Thanks for the assist.

Lion install report...

Lifehacker build converted to .8 Cartri Bios.

Lion GM got everything working except sleep, works but resets bios ;)

I think it's a Chameleon problem blocking something in the bios and messing with sleep.

If I get bored I may revert to Gigabyte bios and try again.

Biggest problem I had earlier versions of Lion friendly Chameleon on install usb stick would not boot. Changed to latest build of Chameleon and got it to work. (only after setting up a hard drive as a install disk)

Can I ask, when you say that sleep resets BIOS, do you mean that putting your system into sleep results in the system not working when it wakes from sleep OR does that mean when you restart you'd have to reset the BIOS each time to get it to work, like we originally set them up. That would be a pain!

Have you tried it with the vanilla Gigabyte BIOS, I'm really curious.

Also, what version of Chameleon are you using now? I pretty sure I've never upgraded my Chameleon version since the original install - is there a version I should be upgrading to?

If I can upgrade to Lion my hobby will live on :)

thanks!!

Can I ask, when you say that sleep resets BIOS, do you mean that putting your system into sleep results in the system not working when it wakes from sleep OR does that mean when you restart you'd have to reset the BIOS each time to get it to work, like we originally set them up. That would be a pain!

Have you tried it with the vanilla Gigabyte BIOS, I'm really curious.

Also, what version of Chameleon are you using now? I pretty sure I've never upgraded my Chameleon version since the original install - is there a version I should be upgrading to?

If I can upgrade to Lion my hobby will live on :)

thanks!!

Resets bios to default settings and all settings must be redone, but I found a fix, you can replace the AppleRTC.kext with a modded one or a older one or there is a perl scrip you can run to mod the one installed. Sleep works better than it did on SL now.

Got it going with Cartri .8 so not in a hurry to flash bios.

I have lion on its own disk and have Chameleon 2 RC5 r1083 on it and use F12 to boot from it.

On the thumb drive you need a newer rev I have Chameleon 2 RC5 r1135 on it and boots and installs fine.

Just follow one of the guides to set up the thumb drive or hard drive, install Chameleon r1135 on the thumb,rev 1083 can be used if you put the install on a hard drive and boot it to install and drag your working extra folder over and you should be good to go on the install.

I think I booted into SL 10.6.7 w/Cartri bios and didn't find anything that got broke with Chameleon 2 rc5 r1135.

But prefer to use rc4 that comes with the bios as newer versions replace or defeat stuff built into the bios though what I don't know, smarter people than me said not to do it :)

Hi all,

Lion is out. Thought that I would bite the bullet and check if Lion can be installed on our builds.

The Mac App Store would not allow me to purchase Lion.

"This version of MacOSX 10.7 cannot be installed on this computer"

(Although my Hackintosh build is 10.6.8)

Anyone know whats up?

Cheers

I'll try when I get home...

OK Dan,

I think I know why.

The installer checks if you have a supported apple branded board before installing.

The Lion installer includes a list of supported boards in the System/Lib /Core services/

I suppose that addition of our board to this list might trick the installer to install... but I did not understand what to add (n00b)

Or, it might be possible to mask our Gigabyte board as one of the listed boards and trick the installer to install.

In any case, the installation isnt as easy as the Snow Leopard updates....

Also important: once downloaded from the App Store the installer self destructs when installed on a legitimate Mac, so back up the installer entirely in another location.

No, I am using the BIOS in my Sig along with the minimum amount of kexts I have collected along the way.

Going to work now but if you want the files let me know...

Dan,

Got everything to work. Maybe a long post, but here goes -

1) My config - Complete Lifehacker build, 10.6.8, Stell v3, Lion from Mac App Store.

2) Credits: tonymac, whose blog is brilliant, Stell and Adam Pash, without which this thread would not exist.

3) "This version of OSX cannot be installed on this computer..etc":

The problem is that the Lion installer does a Board ID check before installing. My version of smbios.plist did not include a board ID. Add this ID and no problems to download the Lion installer from the Mac App Store or installation.

4) Audio backup: Backup the AppleHDA.kext file to a safe location before you begin.

5) You need to download the Lion installer from the Mac App Store. Using the dmg file of "InstallESD.dmg" did not work for me.

6) Install as per http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmo...x-107-lion.html

Follow each step carefully.

7) You DO need xMove as per the instructions.

8) You DO NOT need Step 5. We already have the dsdt.aml installed from our Stell V3 installed. There is nothing to install at all. Restart the computer after Lion successfully installs.

9) You will need to install AppleHDA.kext that we backed up, using kext utility or equivalent.

Thats it! You should have a working install of Lion!

I have not had time to test in details - but everything seems to be okay!

Good luck all!

The problem is that the Lion installer does a Board ID check before installing. My version of smbios.plist did not include a board ID. Add this ID and no problems to download the Lion installer from the Mac App Store or installation.

Could you please elaborate on how and where to deal with the board ID in the smbios.plist?

My System Profile:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3.61 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache: 12 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.7 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05

SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

Serial Number (system): SOMESRLNMBR

Hardware UUID: 171CB86C-3557-5AEE-8CF6-981A1424BD14

This is mine that works...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>SMbiosvendor</key>
<string>Apple Inc.</string>
<key>SMbiosversion</key>
<string>MP31.88Z.00C1.B00.080209154</string>
<key>SMmanufacturer</key>
<key>SMproductname</key>
<string>MacPro3,1</string>
<key>SMsystemversion</key>
<string>1.0</string>
<key>SMserial</key>
<string>W87234JHYA4</string>
<key>SMfamily</key>
<string>MacPro</string>
<key>SMboardmanufacturer</key>
<key>SMboardproduct</key>
<string>Mac-F42C88C8</string>
</dict>
</plist>

Could you please elaborate on how and where to deal with the board ID in the smbios.plist?

My System Profile:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro3,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3.61 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 4

L2 Cache: 12 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.7 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05

SMC Version (system): 1.30f3

Serial Number (system): SOMESRLNMBR

Hardware UUID: 171CB86C-3557-5AEE-8CF6-981A1424BD14

Havec,

Sorry for the delay - having all sorts of issues accessing the site.

1) Open smbios.plist located in /Extra

2) Add the following:

3) Save

4) Repair permissions

5) Reboot

Try to download Lion / install Lion again.

This should work!

Cheers

Havec,

Sorry for the delay - having all sorts of issues accessing the site.

1) Open smbios.plist located in /Extra

2) Add the following:

3) Save

4) Repair permissions

5) Reboot

Try to download Lion / install Lion again.

This should work!

Cheers

Looks like smbios is one of the things that went away when I flashed to Cartri 0.8. fakesmc.kext and LegacyHDA.kext are the only 2 residents of my Extra/Extensions folder. I looked in my old v.2 and v.3 Extra folders that I saved and it's there.

I normally haven't needed a smbios.plist being a cartri user but can't get Apple to sell me a copy of Lion. I've tried several smbios.plist's including D-an-W's posted above. They are working as about this mac reflects what is in the plist. Still the app store keeps telling me Lion can't be installed on this computer, but the clean install on one drive and the upgrade install on another tell me otherwise :)

Dan,

Got everything to work. Maybe a long post, but here goes -

1) My config - Complete Lifehacker build, 10.6.8, Stell v3, Lion from Mac App Store.

2) Credits: tonymac, whose blog is brilliant, Stell and Adam Pash, without which this thread would not exist.

4) Audio backup: Backup the AppleHDA.kext file to a safe location before you begin.

5) You need to download the Lion installer from the Mac App Store. Using the dmg file of "InstallESD.dmg" did not work for me.

6) Install as per http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2011/07/xmo...x-107-lion.html

Follow each step carefully.

7) You DO need xMove as per the instructions.

8) You DO NOT need Step 5. We already have the dsdt.aml installed from our Stell V3 installed. There is nothing to install at all. Restart the computer after Lion successfully installs.

9) You will need to install AppleHDA.kext that we backed up, using kext utility or equivalent.

Thats it! You should have a working install of Lion!

I have not had time to test in details - but everything seems to be okay!

Good luck all!

So the Tonymac install method relies on you having the latest Chimera Bootloader from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. Is that something you install as part of this install method, b/c obviously most of us I'd think are using Chameleon RC4 or RC as our bootloader. So just wondering about that and replacing it etc.

So the Tonymac install method relies on you having the latest Chimera Bootloader from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. Is that something you install as part of this install method, b/c obviously most of us I'd think are using Chameleon RC4 or RC as our bootloader. So just wondering about that and replacing it etc.

According to step 8 of the referenced post you can completely skip step 5 of tonymac's method. This is because presumably you already have a perfectly valid dsdt and bootloader. However, you may want to update your bootloader beforehand. I assume tonymac's guide uses [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] because it's all-purpose and covers most-situations. However, those of us to already have perfectly functioning systems probably don't need to worry about [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url]. (Actually, if you read step 4 of tonymac's guide, he basicly says as much - i.e. that if you already had a functioning system, you should be ready to go.)

In a week or two, I plan on testing the Lion update on a test disk. So yesterday I decided to update my copy of Chamelon RC5 from r518 to r1187. This only involved me copying over the updated boot file (sudo cp /Volumes/<TargetDisk>/boot), duplicating/renaming the com.apple.Boot.plist file to org.chameleon.Boot.plist, and giving the plist parameters a once over to see if I needed to change anything.

Hello

I've been skimming this forum for the past few weeks trying to figure out how to succesfully update to 10.6.8. I am running the same build as the lifehacker install using v3 of stella's installer.

HOwever, after reading all of the posts; I've been confused by the fact that my "extras" folder on my main drive doesn't seem to look the same as everyone else's in here and even a reinstall of STells' v3 installer after upgrading to 10.6.8 doens't seem to grant me access to any of my peripherals after the upgrade.

Here is what the content of my extras folder looks like:

com.apple.Boot.plist

DSDT.aml

Extensions.mkext

smbios.plist

Themes (a folder)

So, what concerns me is that I've gathered that I need to back up specfiic kexts and then "reinsert them" back into the correct locations after the upgrade to get my peripherals and the correct resolution on my display back after the update. However, I dont seem to have any of these files. Is Extensions.mkext a directory that I'm just not seeing how to open? Are these files womehwere else?

Namely I have no AppleHDA.kext and no FakeSMC etc...so I am not sure what to do. Would making a copy of the Extensions folder while in 10.6.7 and then just dumping ont to the 10.6.8 system (copying over what is there) fix the issue?

Help.

Lost.

I havent installed Chimera - just Chameleon.

I just tried tonymac's method to install Lion to my TestDrive. And while I was able get as far as creating and booting from the Installer partition, I got stuck with the swirling rainbow ball once it went to the white screen, immediately following the verbose boot. Any idea what the problem might be?

Edit: Actually, I just had an idea as to that the issue might be. I'm using a version of fakeSMC that goes in S/L/E rather than E/E to enable more thorough system monitoring. Would the lack of this kext in my E/E (and subsequently in the installer's S/L/E folder possible cause this issue? I'm unsure, because I would have thought that if the lack of fakeSMC was an issue, it would prevent the Installer from getting as far as it did in the boot process.