GA-EP45-UD3P / Core 2 Quad / 9800gtx Experience  

406 members have voted

1. 1. Are you Booting SL

• Stable - No Problems
    • Stable - Minor Issues
    • Unstable - Kernel Panics
    • Not Booting

2,371 posts in this topic

Simply copying the the boot file over to you other drive won't copy the boot0 & boot1h files to your other disk, so no, it wouldn't work. The Chameleon install instructions are as follows:

Suppose that your installation is on /dev/disk0s2 (can find this using "diskutil list")

- Install boot0 to the MBR:

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0

- Install boot1h to the partition's bootsector:

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s2

- Install boot to the partition's root directory:

sudo cp boot /

So, as you can see, simply having the boot file won't cut it. It needs the other two files to be properly installed as well. And if you reformat your current bootloader disk they'll go bye-bye.

However, if you can determine what version of Chameleon your Kakewalk installer uses and install it yourself on the desired drive, when combined with the Extra folder you've already copied, I think you'll be set. (Of course, you'll want to verify this by selecting your preferred drive as the 1st drive to boot from in bios, otherwise, it'll continue to default to your current one.)

If you don't want to work with the terminal, you'll have to find a Chameleon installer package such as this one here.

On a side note, I assume, since you're in this topic that you have a Lifehacker build. If that's the case, you can use Stell's v3 installer, and it will set up everything for you, including the Extra foler. (here)

Hope this helps some.

This is my readout from diskutil list i am booted from the drive without the kakewalk installer now therefor not the chameleon installer either. I am booted from SnowCat drive listed below.SnowCat is the drive with all my apps and files i want to keep. MacPro1 has the cakewalk installer and the bootfiles on it, along with chameleon. I took your example and from my printout i reversed the disk0s2 to disk1s2, assuming my commands below will be correct to get all the bootfiles over to the Snowcat drive, which drive should i be booted into: to do the copying of bootfiles?

diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS SnowCat 499.8 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk1

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS MacPro1 499.8 GB disk1s2

-Install boot0 to the MBR:

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1

-Install boot 1h to the partitions bootsector:

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2

-Install boot to the partitions root directory:

sudo cp boot /

If my terminal commands are correct which drive should i be booted into to properly copy over all the bootfiles to SnowCat drive.

I dont want to use the StellV3 becuase the DSDT.aml file created by kakewalk works better on my computer than the stell V3 did.

Thank you for your help and patience.

Everyone, do yourself a favor and just download the BIOS from http://cartri.net/blog/downloads

Everything will work and you won't even need DSDTs or Drivers...... heck with guides:)

Did and it does :)

Solved the temp problem that I had. The Stella V.3 system sounded like Win7 running Prime95 torture test. Now it runs at 40C during normal operation.

Did lose my Win7 system though. Blue screens :)

Isn't it about time for a poll on how many of us are running Stella and Cartri systems?

This is my readout from diskutil list i am booted from the drive without the kakewalk installer now therefor not the chameleon installer either. I am booted from SnowCat drive listed below.SnowCat is the drive with all my apps and files i want to keep. MacPro1 has the cakewalk installer and the bootfiles on it, along with chameleon. I took your example and from my printout i reversed the disk0s2 to disk1s2, assuming my commands below will be correct to get all the bootfiles over to the Snowcat drive, which drive should i be booted into: to do the copying of bootfiles?

diskutil list

/dev/disk0

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS SnowCat 499.8 GB disk0s2

/dev/disk1

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk1

1: EFI 209.7 MB disk1s1

2: Apple_HFS MacPro1 499.8 GB disk1s2

-Install boot0 to the MBR:

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk1

-Install boot 1h to the partitions bootsector:

sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk1s2

-Install boot to the partitions root directory:

sudo cp boot /

If my terminal commands are correct which drive should i be booted into to properly copy over all the bootfiles to SnowCat drive.

I dont want to use the StellV3 becuase the DSDT.aml file created by kakewalk works better on my computer than the stell V3 did.

Thank you for your help and patience.

From what I read, if you perform the terminal commands you listed you'll be reinstalling Chamelon on your MacPro1 drive. However, if you want it on the SnowCat drive you'll have to change things to disk0, since according to your readout the SnowCat partition is on disk0s2. However, if you do modify it accordingly, run the terminal commands while booted into your SnowCat drive, and have a copy of your Extra folder you should be ready to go. (It matters which drive you're booted into only for the "sudo cp boot /" command since it copies the boot file to the root level of whichever drive you're booted into. You could modify it to something like "sudo cp boot /Volumes/#desired_drivename#/" to allow you to install it regardless of which drive you're booted to.)

Once you've got Chamelon installed on your SnowCat drive you'll need to test it. Since you will have Chameleon installed on both drives, it's important that you have the one you want to boot from specified in the bios boot order list. Once this is done, it should be a simple matter to test it out.

On a side note, you can also test your attempt using a GUID formatted flash drive (as done for the LifeHacker install method). Simply make sure the flash drive is GUID formatted, and if not format it using the DiskUtility to the GUID format. Then run diskutil list, and install Chameleon to the drive as per the instructions. Next copy the extra folder to the drive. And finally, with the drive inserted, specify it as the 1st drive in the boot order in bios. Then you'll be ready to use the flash drive as your temporary boot loader. (You'll notice this is essentially identical to how you'd do this for the hard drive, so it might make a good practice run if you're at all worried about messing things up.)

There are apparently some people who use a flash drive for their bootloader normally instead of a hard drive. I don't simply because I'd rather have the use of my usb ports (and the drive). Although, I have occasionally considered using this method to prepare an emergency USB boot drive.

where can I find a list of compatible graphics cards for this build that are plug and play?

I'm not sure, but you might want to check Stell's blog. I think I remember him creating a list of compatible plug and play hardware.

where can I find a list of compatible graphics cards for this build that are plug and play?
I'm not sure, but you might want to check Stell's blog. I think I remember him creating a list of compatible plug and play hardware.

I didn't find anything in Stell's blog but a short list of Webcams, wired Ethernet Nics, wireless Airport cards and USB audio devices, but no graphics cards. Here is that URL: http://stellarola.tumblr.com/tagged/Gadgets/chrono .

I found this this morning: http://osx86.net/f7/list-of-nvidia-gpus-su...-leopard-t4385/ I haven't checked this for accuracy but I hope this helps.

Charles

Thanks for the link

GTS 250 is Rebadged 9800 GTX+

8800 GTS similar to 9800 GTX

9500GT similar to GT 120

Thanks 960brick for the additional information.

Maybe you understand this better than I. I have a Geforce 9800 GTX+, here's the Graphics/Display information from my System Profile:

GeForce 9800 GTX+:

Chipset Model:	GeForce 9800 GTX+
 Type:	GPU
 Bus:	PCIe
 Slot:	Slot-1
 PCIe Lane Width:	x16
 VRAM (Total):	512 MB
 Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
 Device ID:	0x0613
 Revision ID:	0x00a2
 ROM Revision:	xx.xx.xx - internal
 Displays:
  ASUS VW266H:
 Resolution:	1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
 Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
 Main Display:	Yes
 Mirror:	Off
 Online:	Yes
 Rotation:	Supported
  Display Connector:

NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext are both loaded and working correctly as per my system profile shown above. Everything works as it should Video/Graphics wise, so I'm not trying to fix or repair anything. I'm just trying to understand how my GTX+ with a Device ID of 0x0613 and the Vendor number of(0x10de) is being picked up and properly loaded when I don't find it in my NVDANV50Hal.kext or NVDAResman.kext.

Thanks, Charles

Thanks 960brick for the additional information.

Maybe you understand this better than I. I have a Geforce 9800 GTX+, here's the Graphics/Display information from my System Profile:

GeForce 9800 GTX+:

Chipset Model:	GeForce 9800 GTX+
  Type:	GPU
  Bus:	PCIe
  Slot:	Slot-1
  PCIe Lane Width:	x16
  VRAM (Total):	512 MB
  Vendor:	NVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID:	0x0613
  Revision ID:	0x00a2
  ROM Revision:	xx.xx.xx - internal
  Displays:
ASUS VW266H:
  Resolution:	1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz
  Pixel Depth:	32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
  Main Display:	Yes
  Mirror:	Off
  Online:	Yes
  Rotation:	Supported
Display Connector:

NVDANV50Hal.kext and NVDAResman.kext are both loaded and working correctly as per my system profile shown above. Everything works as it should Video/Graphics wise, so I'm not trying to fix or repair anything. I'm just trying to understand how my GTX+ with a Device ID of 0x0613 and the Vendor number of(0x10de) is being picked up and properly loaded when I don't find it in my NVDANV50Hal.kext or NVDAResman.kext.

Thanks, Charles

Anyone got a comment on this?

Anyone got a comment on this?

You are using GraphicsEnabler option in com.apple.Boot.plist ? If so then Chameleon is injecting properties of your card to IORegistry, it does same thing automatically as using EFI strings or dsdt patching to make your card work.

Anyone having stability issues with the Cartri bios? Safari quits and the system asks to be restarted from time to time. I only have fakesmc and legacyHDA kext files in my extra\extensions folder.

i have some weird problems

whan i listening music, sometimes immediately, sometimes 30 min later, sound jumps.. actually not a jump, it's blocking with some sort of splutter.. i can't listen any music or watch video anymore :) i purchased usb sound card (creative one...) and still same problem. tried applehda.kext and hdaenabler.kext but still same

i'm using ud3p and 10.6.4 btw

anyone know any solution about it?

This is Chameleon "boot" that comes with Cartri v0.8

post-524832-1281230227_thumb.jpg

post-524832-1281230247_thumb.jpg

Wow! Thanks 960brick. I get it completely. Thanks also for the example contents of the Chameleon Boot file. I looked in mine from the package provided Cartri and I noticed a great many ATI cards in there as well as nVidia. Are the folks that post of trouble with ATI just not using a specified card or are the referenced ATI models still buggy?

Also, I ask this, if a person was to use a real Apple version GT 120 PCIe Graphics Card, or another Apple Mac video card, would you not use Graphics Enabler in the com.Apple.Boot.plist and it would be picked up natively by the SL 10.6.4 OS X? Or would you still have to use the "Graphics Enabler" key for it to be injected?

Charles

I am using a Nvidia GT120, but the PC version and it works with enabler set to on (default in the files from cartri)

I am yet to test with a real mac card, and are currently seeking one on ebay, and once I have one I can test and report back. If any one have one for swap-out with my pc version you can pm me, or even for sale.

I'd love to get my Win7 drive back booting again after flashing to Cartri. (Blue Screens at the logo screen) Anyone else have this problem or know of a fix other than reinstalling Win7?

Pressing the "end" key invokes Q-­‐Flash to scan for FAT32 Partitions only. Have you done this ?

[/quote

960 brick

Is there any chance you could share with me your O.C settings as I don,t seem to be having any luck I am quite new to this OCing

Many Thanks

post-524832-1281400119_thumb.jpg

You should set PLL voltage yourself, 1.5 V is ok for such low FSB. Using Auto setting on Cpu Termination and PLL is dangerous since that settings tends to set those voltages over safe values.

You should set PLL voltage yourself, 1.5 V is ok for such low FSB. Using Auto setting on Cpu Termination and PLL is dangerous since that settings tends to set those voltages over safe values.

What would you suggest these values to be and what are your OC settings My setup is the same as 960 brick

thanks

post-524832-1281400119_thumb.jpg

Thank you 960 brick that was very helpful.

Thats right, default voltages (not AUTO) on CPU and memory keep it stable.

What would you suggest these values to be and what are your OC settings My setup is the same as 960 brick

thanks

Max safe values according to Intel datasheets for our Cpu's are 1.45 V for Vcore and termination, for PLL about 1.6 V. Using Auto setting with higher than stock FSB will often make those voltages go higher than that so always set them manually when overclocking. References can usually be left on auto, MCH core voltage depends on amount of memory and speed of FSB, quad cores also usually need more MCH voltage than dual cores. ICH voltages are usually ok on default value, sometimes you need a bit higher value if you for example have lots of hard disks. Dram voltage should be set according to specs of your memory kit.

I myself am current running my Q9550 at 4.25 GHz which needs some more tweaking than just those basic values but here is my voltage settings for running 460 * 8.5 , 3.91 GHz.

Load-Line Calibration..........................[ Enabled ]
CPU Vcore [ 1.225].............................[ Normal  ]
CPU Termination [ 1.20 ].......................[ 1.22    ]
CPU PLL [ 1.50 ]...............................[ 1.57    ]
CPU Reference [ 0.760 ]........................[ Auto    ]

MCH Core [ 1.100 ].......................[ 1.30   ]
MCH Reference [ 0.760 ]..................[ Auto   ]
MCH/DRAM Refernce [ 0.900 ]..............[ Auto   ]
ICH I/O [ 1.500 ]........................[ 1.57   ]
ICH Core [ 1.100 ].......................[ 1.20   ]

DRAM Voltage [ 1.800 ]...................[1.90    ]
DRAM Termination [ 0.900 ]...............[ Auto   ]
Channel A Ref [ 0.900 ]..................[ Auto   ]
Channel B Ref [ 0.900 ]..................[ Auto   ]

You just have to remember that each chip is different, some can run very high FSB's with very low Vcore and some will need a lot more. Often VID value is a good indicator of how easily chip will overclock.

thanks

Thank you 960 brick that was very helpful.

I have not been able to clock it higher than 3.8GHz, with default volts settings, Obviously mm67 know more about this. If you do clock it to 4Ghz with load temps not higher than mid 50s, please share your settings, which would save me a lot of time ;)

EDIT :

Its stable at 3.9GHz , VCORE-1.27V ,CPU Termination-1.220V, CPU PLL-1.500V

I have not been able to clock it higher than 3.8GHz, with default volts settings, Obviously mm67 know more about this. If you do clock it to 4Ghz with load temps not higher than mid 50s, please share your settings, which would save me a lot of time :)

Your cpu doesn't have a very good VID, 1.25 V is on upper side and that usually means it won't overclock as easily. Best ones I have seen people using had VID's like 1.15 or 1.16 V, those are usually really great for overclocking. My chip has a pretty average 1.225 VID but it does overclock really easily, my FSB now is 500 but I only need to set Vcore to 1.3375 V to run it stable.