[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

What is involved in getting the script to work on other motherboards? Is it just a matter of trying various sets of kexts until it works?

Not clear to me why blackOSX uses this complicated process involving Koalala's ACPI patcher, while DD just invokes a program that creates the dsdt.aml in one shot. Does the dsdt utility used in the DD script would work on these other motherboards?

I tried to get my EP35-DS3P to work using the DD script. Got SL to install once I unchecked printers and languages. Tried using DD's dsdt utility, EFI string graphics in boot.plist, and then copying into the DD script folder the exact same set of kexts that blackOSX uses for the EP45-DS3 (just the 32 bit ones), but I consistently get the same kernel panic during boot. I'd sort of like to see what kext is causing the kernel panic, but the panic clears the screen, is there a way around this? All I can think of is to shoot a movie of it and go back a few frames... seems to several screens worth into the kexts, then page fault somewhere in the letter T...

Am I right here that with other motherboards on can simply go through the (SL) DD script including dsdt, at which point its mostly a matter of retrying different subsets of kexts until it works?

I have used the X58 Leopard script on four different Gigabyte boards: EP35-DS3L, EP45-DS3L, G31M-ES2L and the X58-DS3R. The differences in kexts involve those for graphics, audio and network - graphics because of different video cards, audio due to different chipsets. The ATA and Misc kexts were not changed. I have used the X58 SL BETA script on the EP45 and G31M boards loading beta versions of SL - on those it worked but I had to remove the AppleIntelCPUManagement and AppleTyMCE kexts to boot into SL. I then needed to tweak kexts to get audio and networking to fly.

The problem you describe with the P35 board sounds like a graphics difficulty since the screen goes dark. If you have a boot.plist with the EFI string working in a Leopard install, copy that one into the X58 plist folder. I have had uneven results copying EFI strings through Terminal, so I usually generate the EFI string in OSX86Tools, copy and paste into my target boot.plist via Finder.

Generally, to use the script on a different Gigabyte board, leave the ATA and Misc kexts as is, use what you know works for graphics, leave audio and networking blank to start. Run the script (including DSDT), boot using -v and see where you get. If you are lucky it will boot into SL. Once in SL you are likely to get a KP (as I did with the G31 board). Restart, booting in single mode (-s) and build the cache as DD describes in his tutorial. Once safely in SL you can now experiment to find what works for networking and audio.

It is much easier to get things working if you use an Nvidia card instead of ATI. I have used 8400GT, 9400GT, 9500GT and 9600GT cards with EFI strings and they all work with translucent tool bars - no need for NVkush on Nvinject kexts. The ATI cards are a real bear to get working - I have a 2600xt on the P45 board with Leopard I am presently using. It requires a Natit.kext plus modifying the AppleATI2000.kext to get it to work.

I never try to make sleep work completely. All I want is the monitor to shut off, I prefer that the fans and HDs continue to work.

I am getting the same error.

I successfully loaded SL and all drivers are working properly on my system (booting in 32 bit mode) except for this one error when checking the permissions in the disk utility. Is it wise to ignore it or should I reinstall the BSD.pkg - I guess installing a core package such as BSD.pkg could have repercussions elsewhere. I also tired updating SL as suggested in in this forum . Though it updates smoothly to 10.6.1, the permissions error remains.

Any ideas on how to proceed?

Reinstall BSD.pkg and run Disk Utility, Fix Permissions and reboot immediately afterwards. After reboot install 10.6.1 and reboot again. That's how I did it and I'm not experiencing any issues.

Permissions should be fixed and all should be fine.

Dead Ethernet: pull power cord for 10 secs.

Thanks!

Working now. :D

I see you also recommend this in your main post for troubleshooting Ethernet on the UD5 board, but in this case I thought it was something else. I've had situations when it's not working in Mac OS X but Windows is fine, but in this case it was down in Windows too, so cutting of power (over night in my case) worked fine.

Another thing. What about sleep issues? I can put my machine to sleep just fine, but wake seems to be a bit more difficult. It worked fine once in 10.6 and one time it woke up and then got stuck at light blue screen. Now in 10.6.1 it also worked fine to put asleep, but upon wake I got a Kernel Panic.

Where do I direct these Kernel Panic for potential fixing?

To the person/people behind â€Sleepenabler.kextâ€?

Thanks!

Working now. :D

I see you also recommend this in your main post for troubleshooting Ethernet on the UD5 board, but in this case I thought it was something else. I've had situations when it's not working in Mac OS X but Windows is fine, but in this case it was down in Windows too, so cutting of power (over night in my case) worked fine.

Another thing. What about sleep issues? I can put my machine to sleep just fine, but wake seems to be a bit more difficult. It worked fine once in 10.6 and one time it woke up and then got stuck at light blue screen. Now in 10.6.1 it also worked fine to put asleep, but upon wake I got a Kernel Panic.

Where do I direct these Kernel Panic for potential fixing?

To the person/people behind �€�Sleepenabler.kext�€�?

All my KP probems were solved after I put all the kexts (expect IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext) in the Systems folder.

I tried many configurations and my experience is that putting the Kexts in the Extra folder makes more problems than it does any good.

So, try putting all kexts in the System folder and try again.

I had regular KP after sleeping, which I could reproduce (KP when I plugged in any USB device after sleep). Putting the kext in the System folder solved all my troubles.

Hope this helps.

Mike

All my problems (Ethernet & Audio) are solved now. I found out that since I was installing Chameleon RC3 and the 32bit command had changed, it was booting in x64 mode. The kexts for Ethernet and audio are not working properly in x64 mode... Make sure you add "arch=i386" to the kernel flags and not "-x32".

I do have one more question now. When I boot my new SL install, the EFI partition is mounted by default. Is there a way to prevent that ? Unmounting it manually becomes a pain each time, and it annoys me because it's cluttering my finder windows. Otherwise my install seems to be working fine.

Thanks again DD for your awesome work.

Hey guys, so I seem to have hit a brick wall with a Snow Leopard install.

EDIT: Anybody know how to create an EFI Gfx string for the Nvidia GTX 260 896mb vram?

All the tutorials and info ive looked up all require the hexadecimal code for the ram, but i cant find 896 anywhere on the internet. Or does anyone know of a better method for my card?

Right now I can hear the OS X Leopard music play when i boot but I cannot see anything

thanks guys!

What is involved in getting the script to work on other motherboards? Is it just a matter of trying various sets of kexts until it works?

Not clear to me why blackOSX uses this complicated process involving Koalala's ACPI patcher, while DD just invokes a program that creates the dsdt.aml in one shot. Does the dsdt utility used in the DD script would work on these other motherboards?

I tried to get my EP35-DS3P to work using the DD script. Got SL to install once I unchecked printers and languages. Tried using DD's dsdt utility, EFI string graphics in boot.plist, and then copying into the DD script folder the exact same set of kexts that blackOSX uses for the EP45-DS3 (just the 32 bit ones), but I consistently get the same kernel panic during boot. I'd sort of like to see what kext is causing the kernel panic, but the panic clears the screen, is there a way around this? All I can think of is to shoot a movie of it and go back a few frames... seems to several screens worth into the kexts, then page fault somewhere in the letter T...

Am I right here that with other motherboards on can simply go through the (SL) DD script including dsdt, at which point its mostly a matter of retrying different subsets of kexts until it works?

I used this script to install on my EX58-UD3R only difference was audio. On my Intel DQ35JO I used the script without modifications other than changing the smbios.plist to reflect a MacPro 3,1 and cosmetic factors like ram type and speed.

Can someone please confirm: Does Bonjour work 100% work 100% with MAJ's default Network kext for UD5 (RealtekR1000.kext)?

I have it installed in S/L/E and Bonjour doesn't seem to function quite right. I can see the UD5 Mac from other macs on the network but I can't connect to other Macs from the UD5 (they show up with default PC icon/address under Network in Finder)

Check out this link:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1246911

I extracted the kext from RTGNICv2.0.3.pkg using unpkg 4.0 (easily found on macupdate.com) instead of installing it.

In Kexts_10.6, I moved the RealtekR1000.kext into the _repository folder and put the extracted AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext into the _Networking folder.

I used DD's amazing script to install the new kext into S/L/E and update the boot caches, then rebooted (always in 32bit mode).

After reboot, I had Bonjour back. Another joy was to see transfer statistics and interface information reported correctly in Network Utility.app. Hooray!

I'll do some more intensive performance tests this weekend to make sure there are no hidden gotchas.

Finally, a heartfelt thanks to DD and everyone else that contributes on this forum. Building a Mac using Apple's OS is so much more fun than buying a limited iMac, or an over-kill MacPro with limited "hack-ability."

Hey guys, so I seem to have hit a brick wall with a Snow Leopard install.

EDIT: Anybody know how to create an EFI Gfx string for the Nvidia GTX 260 896mb vram?

All the tutorials and info ive looked up all require the hexadecimal code for the ram, but i cant find 896 anywhere on the internet. Or does anyone know of a better method for my card?

Right now I can hear the OS X Leopard music play when i boot but I cannot see anything

thanks guys!

I'd wager this fellow might be able to help you:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1246265

Check out this link:

I extracted the kext from RTGNICv2.0.3.pkg using unpkg 4.0 (easily found on macupdate.com) instead of installing it.

In Kexts_10.6, I moved the RealtekR1000.kext into the _repository folder and put the extracted AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext into the _Networking folder.

I used DD's amazing script to install the new kext into S/L/E and update the boot caches, then rebooted (always in 32bit mode).

After reboot, I had Bonjour back. Another joy was to see transfer statistics and interface information reported correctly in Network Utility.app. Hooray!

I'll do some more intensive performance tests this weekend to make sure there are no hidden gotchas.

Nice, thanks for the heads-up. I'll install and test it out too.

cheers

Check out this link:

Thanks, now the funktion is proper. Let's see if we have the performance as well!

Check out this link:

Finally, a heartfelt thanks to DD and everyone else that contributes on this forum. Building a Mac using Apple's OS is so much more fun than buying a limited iMac, or an over-kill MacPro with limited "hack-ability."

There is one problem .... When you replace RealtekR1000.kext to AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext unfortunately does not work Sleep function.... :) ( (This is at least for me) 

Netkas released a new version FakeSMCv2 (Link HERE) - all ok :)

Question/scenario:

backup /Extra -> /Extra_bu 

DD run script -> 2) Install the bootloader (pre-patch) -> 2) Chameleon_2.0_RC3 (acually using PC-EFI 10.2)

Restore /Extra_bu -> /Extra 

Disk utility -> repair permission (startup disk) 

Safe boot?

Does it really change anything - worth?

The scripts worked perfectly for me and I allowed me to "upgrade" my Leopard to Snow Leopard. My setup:

Core i7 920

Sapphire 4870 Vapor-X 2GB

2 x internal 500GB SATA HD (AHCI mode)

1 x external 500GB USB HD

Gigabyte UD5 mobo

6GB of Corsair RAM

Dell 2405FWP

1) 10.5.8 Leopard used to install 10.6 (with DD's scripts) to external USB HD.

2) I tested the USB HD OSX install (no problems!)

3) Upgraded the USB HD version to 10.6.1 (no problems!)

4) Mirrored the USB HD (Carbon Copy) to another HD and fixed the boot-uuid

5) Booted using new HD.

6) Used "Migration Assistant"(?) to transfer old 10.5.8 settings to 10.6.1 - which mostly worked, but I had some Extensions that were not SL-compatible so when I booted OSX halted. I deleted MIDI-related Extensions and everything was just like my previous Leopard install! (how I figured this out was comparing the list of extensions in the clean SL install vs. the SL (with migrated data) install.

Hi,

this is my first post in this great forum which lives from all the geeks and nerds who are spending a lot of time to help noobs like me out to build their own Mac's. Thanks a lot!

Am I suppose to install the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext into the /Extra or /System folder?

I'm using the Chamelon 2.0 RC3 method. Putting AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in S/L/E works great for me. Bonjour is back! Both LAN-Ports are working fine!

@ Digital Dreamer: Perhaps you can add the Ethernet-solution with the "new" Realtek driver into the script?!?

Once again, thank you all!

There is one problem .... When you replace RealtekR1000.kext to AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext unfortunately does not work Sleep function.... :wacko: ( (This is at least for me) 

Netkas released a new version FakeSMCv2 (Link HERE) - all ok ;)

Since updating to AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext I'm having isues with Wake from sleep.

I have used the updated fakesmc.kext you linked to but still no wake.

Can you list what kexts you are using please to help me troubleshoot.

thanks

All my KP probems were solved after I put all the kexts (expect IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext) in the Systems folder.

I tried many configurations and my experience is that putting the Kexts in the Extra folder makes more problems than it does any good.

So, try putting all kexts in the System folder and try again.

I had regular KP after sleeping, which I could reproduce (KP when I plugged in any USB device after sleep). Putting the kext in the System folder solved all my troubles.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I think I managed to screw up a bit when trying to move everything (except ”IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext”) to /System/Extenstion instead of /Extras/Extensions.

I now get SerialATAPI initial device configuration did not complete successfully. (failedCommandInfo = 0x1) when trying to boot into Mac OS X. It just stops there.

I'm afraid I've messed up the kexts.

I know have all kexts in /System/Extensions except IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext and EVOenabler.kext which are in /Extra/Stored_Kexts

Isn't this correct?

Any idea what's wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Since updating to AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext I'm having isues with Wake from sleep.

I have used the updated fakesmc.kext you linked to but still no wake.

Can you list what kexts you are using please to help me troubleshoot.

thanks

1. Kexts install according to the enclosed screen (Extra/System) 

2. Update the boot cache 

3. Disc utilty> Repair Disk Permissions (startup disk) 

4. Reboot

In this set kexts for me all work (including sleep function) 

But with Bonjour, unfortunately, is still a problem ....

post-315211-1252852444_thumb.png

Thanks Lyle, that ended up being extremely useful!

Now my only problem is nowhere in DD's script have I been able to figure out what to DO with the .plist and hex string. Do i use osx86tools to install it to the HDD or is there a seperate method for using Chameleon?

EDIT: So I ended up installing the hex code into my com.apple.boot.plist in my Snow Leopard HDD library/preferences.. etc. The only thing is that I am having the same problem as when iw as using nvkush, when the OS boots i get that apple pale blue screen as if it were loading the visuals, and I hear my skype on auto startup. The only thing is that the display never seems to work. Any ideas???

Hi

Just flashed my bios from f4 original to latest f9

This seemed to fix a problem with system profiler not updating from smbios.plist and displaying

12gb in all 6 memory banks.

Also noticed a new pop up memory utility - where did that come from?

(I loaded the new fakesmc v2 yesterday but this only appeared after bios flashing)

Tried the DSDT update for sound but it doesn't work for me, shows no devices in sound utility.

I have a different DSDT which gives me front sound plus headphones/mic when I switch out the

DD DSDT. (I've had front and back working before unfortunately forgot to save my settings before

fiddling - that'll teach me)

Here is a pic of the memory utility and working 12gb - this had been bugging me for ages

post-383752-1252853001_thumb.png

WARNING: I've discovered that JMicron RAID 0 does not function as it should and only works as a JBoD so you won't get any performance boost from running it.

Big Thanks to DD

I just finished installing 10.6.1 /Extra onto my JMicron Hardware RAID 0. It was pretty straightforward and everything works as it should. Of course I still can't use sleep due to using the JMicron ports.

At the moment (I assume because the script doesn't support RAID yet) I have to use my non-RAID HD to load up chameleon initially and then I can point it over to my RAID install. It's a bit annoying since I have to toggle the chameleon selection each time rather than autoboot but I can live with and hopefully I'll be able to fix it later.

If anyone needs any help setting up a JMicron Hardware RAID I'll be happy to try and answer questions.

1. Kexts install according to the enclosed screen (Extra/System) 

2. Update the boot cache 

3. Disc utilty> Repair Disk Permissions (startup disk) 

4. Reboot

In this set kexts for me all work (including sleep function) 

But with Bonjour, unfortunately, is still a problem ....

post-315211-1252852444_thumb.png

That kext list includes the Realtek kext not the AppleRTL8169 one!!??

Thanks Lyle, that ended up being extremely useful!

Now my only problem is nowhere in DD's script have I been able to figure out what to DO with the .plist and hex string. Do i use osx86tools to install it to the HDD or is there a seperate method for using Chameleon?

EDIT: So I ended up installing the hex code into my com.apple.boot.plist in my Snow Leopard HDD library/preferences.. etc. The only thing is that I am having the same problem as when iw as using nvkush, when the OS boots i get that apple pale blue screen as if it were loading the visuals, and I hear my skype on auto startup. The only thing is that the display never seems to work. Any ideas???

Your EFI string needs to be in the com.Apple.boot.plist file that is in the /Extra folder. The bootloader uses the boot.plist in the /Extra folder and never 'sees' the one in the Preferences folder. There is an option in DDs script to modify the plist (item 8 I believe). In that item you can enter a string for video. As an alternate you can copy the EFI string from the boot.plist in Preferences (be sure to include the device-properties tag) and paste it into the boot.plist in DDs plist folder. Then enter the script and run the bootloader option (use the same bootloader as you originally used). The plists from the plist folder are loaded into /Extra during this step.

The way I use the script, I paste the EFI string in the boot.plist file in DDs plist folder before running the script.