[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

@ Dith

Yes, i guess you'right about natit.kext

By the way, it works with natit.kext alone, i'm gonna try with the EVOenabler stuff, just for fun.

Thing is I don't manage to get it work with EFI String.

I'm able to create what seems to be a valid HD4870 string (regular, with 2 DVID, no HDMI or other exotic connection)

Thing is even with the right EFI String in the right place in com.apple.boot.plist, it doesn't seem to work if i get rid of all injectors. Video corruption, balck and whites strokes, but system working good.

Does anyone knows if the included SL drivers regarding HD48x0 are ok with those cards without any other manipulation ?

And, if it helps, I had an exotic HD4870 card before (DVI+HDMI+VGA) and it was painful t make it work... Had to use an exotic injector from netkas blog (don't remember which one)

Thanks for EVO, Dith !

J

Thank Alex for pointing it :D

I recall netkas writing something about EFI not being usable. Even though our device-id is hardcoded into the right SL kexts there is still a need for an injector. I think it's in one of his posts on netkas.org

I came across an issue that is a rather known issue but thought I should post it here regardless. The com.apple.boot.plist does not include the busratio=20 parameter. So if you're experiencing too fast music and video playback add busratio=20 and reboot and all should be fine :) I think this is standard practice on EX58 with Core i7?

I wish I could get this ALC888 going using DSDT patching :) voodoohda only gives me SPDIF, digital and headphone.

Mozgovvert

use customization and do not select the printers drivers.

DD,

My system is so stable now and I like it much more than 10.5.7.

Yes the script v4.02 now can handle instlattion from snow without version error, thanks to you.

I used DiskUtility program to fix the disk permission and it is fixed. (please if the script has any effect on this issue),

by the way on the graphics strings selection menu (nViedia 143 selection) there is no exit option without selecting card.

thanks again.

SUCCESS ALMOST...

Using Majors script I installed SL and followed directions to the letter. I was able to boot into SL once. I removed the SATA cable from my original LEOPARD boot drive at the first SATA connection on my PC and connected it to the SL drive I had just installed. I did this because the bootloader for leopard would always kick in ( Chameleon RC- 2 and NOT RC3 from the SL install)

I was able to boot into SL - I had disabled spotlight on the drive earlier. When running the post install instructions I tried to reboot into SL with no success. I reformatted the drive and tried clean retail install again but inevitably get hung up on screen below

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/wPyRg...feat=directlink

which is a flurry of REALTEK text and ends in "DONT STEAL OSX"

I would really like to get the SL working and in 64 bit mode. When I booted in SL in 32 bit there was no sound on the welcome video.

Does anyone know what is happening here and how to fix it? I think it might be the kexts. I tried rebooting with -x -s -f but never got back to SL

This is bumming me out because I had booted into it. Also how do you set the preference to see all HD in SL? When I booted i could not find that preference anywhere.

Great job with the script DD!!! I was almost there but not giving up. Can I salvage this SL instal with a fix? or do I need to re-install everything all over again- and if so what am i doing wrong?

:censored2:

post-386268-1252597554_thumb.jpg

post-386268-1252597553_thumb.jpg

GA-EX58-UD5 + GF 9500 GT 256

Installing under Leo 10.5.8 on separate HDD

Bios settings are OK, AHCI - ON (if that matters)

Here are the problem and logs(installation failed, it is 4) Run Retail DVD installer):

a836aa0269b1.png

Before you bury, torture with this, please download again the installation CD image. No fortresses that is the cause of the failure of your installation but I had a similar case with FCS3 described HERE. After long agony, downloaded the DVD images again and everything was in order ...

Hey, I have almost the same configuration as you, look at my post�HERE and the list of kexts, everything except the sleep works for me without any problem. Netkas CLICK writes that "p.s. uninstall dsmos.kext before using it".

Remove dsmos.kext, rebuild the boot cache and see if it is ok...?

I hope I'll help a little...

Thanks... That fixed by shutdown problem. Two things...

1. Now that I check sleep doesn't work for me at all. The display never wakes up, so I don't even know if I have KPs. I guess I can live without sleep, but it would be nice to have it working.

2. How did you get sound to work on the UD5 without the ALC889a kext?

thank you that did in fact work ( repair permission is blazzing fast in SL wow)

im still having that annoying invisible system folders showing at the root of my boot drive... if anyone can help

thank you

I'm also experiencing this problem.

Can you advise how you installed the BSD.pkg? Do you just install 10.6 again?

thanks

Thanks... That fixed by shutdown problem. Two things...

1. Now that I check sleep doesn't work for me at all. The display never wakes up, so I don't even know if I have KPs. I guess I can live without sleep, but it would be nice to have it working.

2. How did you get sound to work on the UD5 without the ALC889a kext?

1. Unfortunately, I have the same problem with sleep ... sometimes the system gets up normally and then with the KP ... my post on this topic is HERE

2. The sound works on the default kexts which encloses Digital Dreamer in his script. This applies to 32 bit mode. In 64 bit mode does not work to me is sound and lan.

For now, I care only for 32-bit mode .... ;)

I'm also experiencing this problem.

Can you advise how you installed the BSD.pkg? Do you just install 10.6 again?

thanks

1. Mount Snow installation disc 

2. Go to the Finder

3. Top menu -> Go -> Go to Folder ...

4. paste this: /Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/

5. Double click BSD.pkg

:)

1. Unfortunately, I have the same problem with sleep ... sometimes the system gets up normally and then with the KP ... my post on this topic is HERE

2. The sound works on the default kexts which encloses Digital Dreamer in his script. This applies to 32 bit mode. In 64 bit mode does not work to me is sound and lan.

For now, I care only for 32-bit mode .... ;)

I don't pretend to be any kind of expert in this, but I think I solved the sleep problem! Not 100% sure if this is what did it, but I repaired permissions using disk utility, and now sleep works!

Also, maybe I'm not understanding something correctly, but as far as I know I am in 32-bit mode. My bootflags are -v -x32, and according to system profiler, 64-bit kexts are not enabled. So I don't know why people keep responding to my posts as if I'm trying to boot in 64-bit mode. For me, sound doesn't work with the default kexts on the UD5. Not a huge issue, because it seems to work with the ALC889a kext.

Oh, my.... 10.6.1 already.

Well, I've managed to boot into the desktop after removing ”ATY_init.kext” from /Extras and replacing it with ”evoenabler.kext” (as suggested by Dith in a previous post).

Before I did this I got ”AppleTyMCEDriver::start coreVIDPID = 0xfffffff Number of packages = 1 Number of cpus = 8 memory monitor trough MCA” at startup.

Two things I've noticed so far: sound doesn't work and also the Ethernet port doesn't seem to work (not recognized in System Preferences -> Network).

I also get some ”CMOS Post Error” warning every time I restart and I get suggested to revert to the ”Know good” state.

Any ideas on this? Is my BIOS hosed in some way?

Another small issue currently: for some reason I cannot double-click a window to minimize it. I have the Radeon 4890 card with Netkas drivers.

Haven't dared to try sleep yet, but can imagine it will fail... :P

Has anyone tried 10.6.1 yet? It's up in SU already.

I inadvertently installed it via software update on my test install I've been working with tonight and everything appears to have updated fine.

As always YMMV!!

Another small issue currently: for some reason I cannot double-click a window to minimize it. I have the Radeon 4890 card with Netkas drivers.

They changed the default behavior for some reason.

Go to Sys Prefs>Appearance> Double click a windows title......

My hacintosh work perfectly !!!!! :P

How did you do it? :blink:

They changed the default behavior for some reason.

Go to Sys Prefs>Appearance> Double click a windows title......

Ah, thanks!

Sorry, didn't know that.

I've also installed Snow Leo on my MacBook Pro, but did an update from Leo there, so the old behavior followed.

For me, sound doesn't work with the default kexts on the UD5. Not a huge issue, because it seems to work with the ALC889a kext.

Where can I get this ”ALC889a kext?

GA-EX58-UD5 + GF 9500 GT 256

Installing under Leo 10.5.8 on separate HDD

Bios settings are OK, AHCI - ON (if that matters)

Here are the problem and logs(installation failed, it is 4) Run Retail DVD installer):

a836aa0269b1.png

Only select the most important part to install when you install within Leopard, no Languages an so on. :wallbash:

by the way on the graphics strings selection menu (nViedia 143 selection) there is no exit option without selecting card.

Yes, there is, sorta. Select a card, but don't confirm the selection and you can opt out.

Example: After selecting a card, it'll ask, "Is this card selection correct?:" Just answer "No" with a "n.'

Great job with the script DD!!! I was almost there but not giving up. Can I salvage this SL instal with a fix? or do I need to re-install everything all over again- and if so what am i doing wrong?

Don't know in this case, especially since you've mentioned you did a clean install again and this failed. Something in your installation process has changed. It's easy to overlook a simple step, when we think we got it all down the first or second time. I've been there many times.

I've seen this situation before, where one would boot successfully on the initial attempt, but fail thereafter. This is likely happening because one has changed the install location of a kext or installed incompatible kexts afterward, thus bringing down the system on the next boot. For a example, if you're toggling a kext back to /Extra that is needed in /System (like a graphics kext) or vise versa - toggling a kext installed in /Extra to /System, then that will change the booting characteristics and, possibly, leave you with a stalled boot.

regards,

MAJ

Thanks you very very much Dith.

My hacintosh work perfectly !!!!! :P

Thanks to all.

Have you try to install the 10.6.1 MaJ ???

Not yet. Got the download a couple days again. Developer post. But, really haven't had time to concentrate on it. I wonder why? :D

I also get some ”CMOS Post Error” warning every time I restart and I get suggested to revert to the ”Know good” state.

Any ideas on this? Is my BIOS hosed in some way?

You'll need to install the DSDT patch, which includes the CMOS reset fix.

regard,

MAJ

Hi DD

I just wanted to show you info from one of my friend from x86osx.com.

If you knew already, just disregard it.

But today, my friend updated with 10.6.1 combo kit, and found an interesting thing inside of s/l/e.

In the extension folder, those ATI related kexts' version has changed to 1.6.2 from 1.6.0.

I was wondering if this might affect your installation of ATI 3870 in Snow Leopard.

The attached is a picture of comparison chart between the extension folders 10.6.0 and 10.6.1.

Please, check with the red circle. Though it's Korean version of Snow, you can find what I mean easily.

Just let you know, maybe you want to check around!

Thanks....

post-201780-1252640078_thumb.png

Can you verify that u get QE/CI to work with your graphics card? if yes can u tell me how you did it thanks?

I got it working on mine, with the same kext setup, using OSX86Tools. There's a one-click button to do this for you.

Has anyone encountered errors with networking between machines? I'm on 10.6.1, with the kext setup in the image attached.

Screen%20shot%202009-09-10%20at%2011.49.26%20PM.png

I have internet access with no issues but can't see my MacBook Pro (also 10.6.1) on the network.

I've also seen that Sleep reacts better after a Repair Permissions through the Disk Utility, but it will panic on wake. Before repairing permissions it refused to completely sleep, leaving fans and lights on.

I have internet access with no issues but can't see my MacBook Pro (also 10.6.1) on the network.

I had this problem as well. I fixed it by downloading the realtek driver from psystar's website (under the opensouce section) and placing it in the system folder using DD's script. Not sure if it's a different version or if I somehow got lucky the second time.

I have the Sapphire 4870 512MB :)

I'm using the EVOENABLER advised earlier by Alex and it's working great now. I guess the lack of the natit.kext caused my issue while using ATY_init.kext.

Trying to get sound working using the DSDT patching method now. Hopefully I'm almost there but DSDT patching is all quite new to me.

This is what was happening to me too, except there was some random realtek messages showing up around it. It seems to be related to the videocard. What videocard do you have?

Hi guys...after trying almost all possible workarounds I found in this thread (same as Dith), I am experiencing the exact same experience as Dith's and Matt's in terms of error log and freeze state. The error log is the same as listed above. I am using Gigabyte EX58-UD4P and Gigabyte ATi HD 4850 512 MB and running Chameleon 2 RC3.

Have you guys checked out the thread on getting HD 4850 to work using gfx string (http://bit.ly/YnyPJ). Some people managed to get it running without ATY_init and EVOenabler. I tried the methods in the thread but somehow I still can't get it to run. I am wondering how the gfx string method might work on your system.

Hi DD

I do have a question!

After following your guide with kexts for EVGA, I can boot up with the safe mode, "-x arch=i386."

But without "-x" it won't boot. I tried with the kext utility for rebuilding cache, but no use.

The screen stops at the same spot, it reads like this

"AppleTyMCEDriver : :start coreVIDPID = 0xffffffff Number of packages = 1 Number of cpus = 8 memory monitor trough MCA"

Do you have any suggetion?

Thanks

JP

hey jp,

i used to get that when i had incorrect kexts for my graphics card. i think natit.kext gave me that problem. i used ati 3870 which is incompitble with SL. but once i deleted some kexts and removed natit, and installed ATY, i could boot into SL. but no QE/CI. hope that helps

Hi DD

I do have a question!

After following your guide with kexts for EVGA, I can boot up with the safe mode, "-x arch=i386."

But without "-x" it won't boot. I tried with the kext utility for rebuilding cache, but no use.

The screen stops at the same spot, it reads like this

"AppleTyMCEDriver : :start coreVIDPID = 0xffffffff Number of packages = 1 Number of cpus = 8 memory monitor trough MCA"

Do you have any suggetion?

Thanks

JP