[GUIDE] Scripted Yosemite/Mavericks Install on Gigabyte Mobos

4,696 posts in this topic

Thanks will give this a try. I did change boot priority - sometimes the F12 list appears and sometimes it doesnt. Anyway will try again thanks for your help here.

I had made a CCC backup onto a partition on a separate hard drive - but cant work out how to restore or boot from it...?

you need to install chameleon onto the drive you cloned your data unto

I have uploaded a new usb image (Boot v3.1) which is based of Emilo's installation. Please use this diskimage instead of the previous one for booting.

I think you're problem is that the Bios doesn't have the USB drive as the first boot disk. You can set the boot order in the bios (just set the USB stick as the first boot disk). Or when you're booting, press F12. You will get a boot menu. Click on hard drive and then on your usb stick and your computer will boot from the usb stick.

PLEASE update first to the new disk image. It seems that the old one gives problems (with my computer)...

This new image uses the Graphicsenabler from netkas pc-efi so some graphics cards are supported.

See original post for updated instructions.

I updated the disk image, folowed the instructions again - but it still isnt working.

I cant tell if its booting from the flashdrive. I set it as 1st device as well as 1st priority under HD. When chameleon starts the only drive is snow my original installl. Still hangs after running in -x at the same point..

Tried it without any other drives - i get boot0; testing

boot0; error

Could someone please answer a dumb question? How do I get to 32bit mode? I read where at the prompt after reboot.. type the commands and make sure you're a single user...but I don't seem to get a prompt....help would be greatly appreciated!

When you boot up and see the little green lizard, start typing randomly. On the bottom left corner, you'll see what you're typing.

Enter -v -x32 at the boot prompt. If you are using the Chameleon 2.0 RC3 bootloader, you'll need to use the arch=i386 flag, instead of -x32 for 32bit.

I have a perfectly stable system using DD's script on this board (GA-EX58-UD5) running 10.6.1 with everything working (that I use) when my Core i7 920 is clocked at 2.66 GHz.

When I overclock to 4.0 GHz, I retain stability and everything works as it did before, EXCEPT for wake from sleep.

Has anyone (who has overclocked) been able to achieve wake from sleep? What factors related to overclocking would cause wake from sleep to break???

Is this an issue related to RAM?

Hello,

finally i got my system running with the kext's from CruSairs Post and DDs great script. Sound, Bonjour and sleep AND wake works both under 32 an 64 bit. Thank you very much.

:unsure:

But there is one strange thing:

Sleep (and wake) works fine if i choose sleep from the apple-menu. But with the timer set under the preferences pane just the monitor goes to sleep, the fans still keep crying and it seems, my hackintosh won't sleep... Does anyone know this issue?!?

Bonne nuit! :wacko:

When you boot up and see the little green lizard, start typing randomly. On the bottom left corner, you'll see what you're typing.

Enter -v -x32 at the boot prompt. If you are using the Chameleon 2.0 RC3 bootloader, you'll need to use the arch=i386 flag, instead of -x32 for 32bit.

Or just hit Tab -_-

Hello,

finally i got my system running with the kext's from CruSairs Post and DDs great script. Sound, Bonjour and sleep AND wake works both under 32 an 64 bit. Thank you very much.

:unsure:

Sleep (and wake) works fine if i choose sleep from the apple-menu. But with the timer set under the preferences pane just the monitor goes to sleep, the fans still keep crying and it seems, my hackintosh won't sleep... Does anyone know this issue?!?

Bonne nuit! :wacko:

Sleep depends on what sharing preferences you have set or some web pages with all the flashy {censored} also stop sleep.

This isn't necessarily a bug, if your computer is sharing some resource then you may not want that resource to be

unavailable to others, alternatively you may have some device plugged in which prevents sleep

Forgive me sounding stupid, but how do ii do that?

i used Pc-efi 10.3 initially

Open the scripted installer

Enter your password

Select the drive you cloned the dato onto.

then do #2 Install bootloader (pre-patch)

you are now done

I recently updated to 10.6.2 from 10.6. I followed the instructions from previous posts about deleting and replacing the sleepenabler kext. My problem is that now when I restart the machine it shuts down but then restarts itself before it actually boots.

So I restart and it shuts down powers off but then goes into its startup routine- only to shut down again in the beginning of the process and then restart and finally successfully enter its boot routine- AHCI bios, Chameleon, SL OSX desktop.

whats weird is that the hard drives when starting up are louder than usual and now one of them will not mount at all. :rolleyes:

any ideas or suggestions? I really could use them.

Thanks.

Hello,

:)

Bonne nuit! ;)

Lol there is nothing strange about it. Did you read the NOTE next to the sleep section of my post. I noted that your system will go to sleep 2 or more minutes after the screen has turned off. I honestly dont know why it takes the extra time, nothing shows in the logs so I cant decipher what to do to fix it, but I am working on it.

And like LocusOfControl posted earlier, certain peripherals and programs running may disrupt or prolong the idle sleep function so sleep on your system might take a little bit more time than on others.

You can test idle sleep by setting the slider to 1 minute, Screen will go off after one minute and a minute or so after your hack will sleep. I have this confirmed with others who use my setup.

Thank you Mike... your a lifesaver..!!!!

Problem with ATI 4870 hd card. (You can imagine how badly I want to get this working!)

Had this card in my initial build and it wouldn't boot all the way to snow leopard (froze on the last line of script)....

Took it out and put in an nvidia which allowed me to enter snow leopard.

Now that I can get into Snow Leopard.... can I install Natit's package or a kext for the ati card in the extra folder ..shut down..pull the nvidia and put the ATI card back in or isn't it that simple?

Thanks everyone...appreciate some input on this!

Lol there is nothing strange about it. Did you read the NOTE next to the sleep section of my post. I noted that your system will go to sleep 2 or more minutes after the screen has turned off. I honestly dont know why it takes the extra time, nothing shows in the logs so I cant decipher what to do to fix it, but I am working on it.

Yes, for awhile I thought my system wasn't working for sleep. It turned out that I just wasn't waiting long enough for sleep to shut down. I discovered it was directly related to the number of hard drives I was running. Most of the time I have 5, 1TB drives running...including the 5th being an eSATA running Ubuntu on a Thermaltake BlacX.

I noticed that on Windows 7, when the system is shutting down, I can hear each of the drives being addressed (with a little click) before shutting down. It happens fairly quickly. With OSX, I noticed that while waiting to test sleep, I heard one of those clicks. However, being the impatient person I am, after waiting for a couple of minutes, I would just hit a key to 'unsleep' (the monitor works immediately).

More recently, I paid a little more attention and realized that there was a 2nd click after waiting for a bit longer after the 1st click. The same occurred for the 3rd - 5th drives. After about 5 minutes, the whole system went to sleep the way it should. Starts back up immediately after hitting a key or moving the mouse.

After turning off all the drives except for my OSX drive, it only takes about a minute to get total sleep. I never really use sleep, but I just wanted to have everything working that could be working. Having a bit of a delay before sleeping doesn't bother me.

It turned out that I just wasn't waiting long enough for sleep to shut down. I discovered it was directly related to the number of hard drives I was running. Most of the time I have 5, 1TB drives running...including the 5th being an eSATA running Ubuntu on a Thermaltake BlacX.
Did you read the NOTE next to the sleep section of my post. I noted that your system will go to sleep 2 or more minutes after the screen has turned off.

And like LocusOfControl posted earlier, certain peripherals and programs running may disrupt or prolong the idle sleep function so sleep on your system might take a little bit more time than on others.

Thanks to your comments and hints. I already still waited for 10 min. (ok, it felt like 10 mins, perhaps it was just 5 min....) after the monitor goes to sleep, but the fans still kept running. I'll try waiting 15 mins and try it again after unplugging all peripherals.

So have a nice evening!

I have one of these coming this monday, so I can report back if you're interested.

Highpoint 4320 8-port SAS/SATA RAID x8 PCIe at Newegg

I'm not affiliated in any way w/Newegg or Highpoint, I'm just a satisfied customer. This 2640X4 has worked flawlessly in my system for months using 10.5.7 & .8, and I have installed 10.6.1 last night to a SATA drive. If it works out for me as smoothly as 10.5 has, I will migrate the RAID in a few weeks as my boot volume. As it is, it works fine as a data drive in Snow Leo, I just need to know if Snow Leo works with my many apps, as I have a perfectly functioning system and need it to stay that way.

I have just bought the 4320 for my SL hackintosh (using this guide) and I'm getting kernel panics within about 30-60 seconds after logging in, I am using the latest drivers from HP's website. So I'm curious to know if you have gotten this to work and what if anything you had to do.

This tool works great. One question.

Has anyone got firewire working on this board? (GA-EX58-UD5)

I have made several attempts and everything works but no firewire.

Any help is appreciated

Powel

Firewire is working fine. Nothing special to make it work, even seemed to work on base DSDT-less system.

________

unrelated topic.

Switched from Chameleon RC3 bootloader to Netkas 10.5 EFI bootloader.

Noticed that some drives that I have, would not run the DD script properly. They were not releasing the EFI partition after copying the boot and extras stuff to it. When the partition was being made active in the script all files would vanish and the EFI partition would not be able to be eject or beunmounted. A reboot would unmount the efi partition, but it would be empty.

It did this on a real mac or my second Mac drive on the x58 system.

I call it a drive issue as some drives exhibited this problem and others didn't.(newer drives exhibited the issue 320-1TB, older drives greater than 2 years old work fine)

I could manually install the bootloader and data on the drive via mounting it with mount hfs, but anytime the DD script would run it would erase all data.

Anyone experience anything like this?

My system is working, as can manually do the tasks, and will be looking into the scripts to see if can Identify what the issue is, but was curious if anyone else had seen this issue.

Thanks.

Noticed that some drives that I have, would not run the DD script properly. They were not releasing the EFI partition after copying the boot and extras stuff to it. When the partition was being made active in the script all files would vanish and the EFI partition would not be able to be eject or beunmounted. A reboot would unmount the efi partition, but it would be empty.

Same issue here on a SSD drive. Unmounting fails because of a 'device busy' error.

The problem occurs in the buildcache script (installed into /var/root/Library/Scripts).

After unmounting it executes 'rm -rf /Volumes/EFI', which deletes all the data on the EFI volume instead of removing just the mount point directory because it did not unmount successfully.

I just removed that specific line for now. For functionality sake it does not matter if the volume gets unmounted or not, next reboot the /Volumes/EFI will have disappeared anyways.

Firewire Just Works Booth SL and SL Server.

Firewire doesn't work properly on this board!!!!

This error for example: "FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)"

There are many threads with firewire issues!

Here for example: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=191029

Or here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...8920&st=340

(from page 13)

Master Chief is trying to find a solution for this issue!

Firewire doesn't work properly on this board!!!!

This error for example: "FireWire runtime power conservation disabled. (2)"

There are many threads with firewire issues!

Yes, it does generate these errors, and Power conservation mode is disabled, but it reads and writes successfully. Have transferred 4+TB to the firewire drives with no issues.

Working SL 10.6.2 32/64 Bit Install

Updated on 10/11/09

NOTE: If updating to 10.6.2 from fresh SL install or 10.6.1 then replace SLEEP ENABLER with the attached one. Delete the one in your /Extra/Stored_kexts folder, run DD's script and use option 6 to rebuild caches. Install 10.6.2 update, reboot.

Copy attached SleepEnabler to/Extra/Stored_kexts, run DD's script again to update boot caches and everything should be fine.

Hey, Thank you soooo mutch!!!

it works perfectly!

Pcace

Yes, it does generate these errors, and Power conservation mode is disabled, but it reads and writes successfully. Have transferred 4+TB to the firewire drives with no issues.

But there are issues with audio interfaces(glitches and distortions)!

But there are issues with audio interfaces(glitches and distortions)!

By audio interfaces, I am assuming you are referring to external firewire connected interfaces, not the integrated sound card, or USB card based interface.

On the internal sound, using the emilo DSDT/EFI method, no sound glitches are heard while transferring data via firewire.

There were issues using the voodoo kext with the mouse,firewire and audio using the RC3 method.